Frizzy Ends - why at home, not at my stylist?

Shell4624

Hi ladies, just a quick question.. I relaxed my hair last night... I have been self relaxing for the past 1.5 years since I stopped going to my old stylist...

My hair in my opinion looked great except my ends always look dull and a little bit frizzy...(I flat ironed my hair btw) But when I go to the stylist, my ends would always look good not frizzy not dull..

heres the catch though.. at home they look frizzy, dull following a wash, DP, and flat iron, but if I wrap my hair in a dubbie by day 2 or 3 my ends look fine...

Why do you think that happens?

You may need to pull the relaxer to the ends. I know about once or twice a year, I have to pull the relaxer to the ends. Mind you, I relax my hair more than twice a year.

:blush: I don't think pulling relaxer to the ends is a good idea!! Do you moisturize your ends? If so you may just need a small trim.:yep:

I relaxed my ends last Friday...if you can see in my siggy my hair looks puffy in the last pic, and I realized when I wet my hair my ends were still curly I have pics in my siggy. So I decided to relax just the ends since I just received a realxer 3 weeks ago, this is the 1st ever since I have started my HHJ. After doing so I was able to wear my hair in a wrap for the 1st time in a long time. Usually when I take my siggy pics that the day of relaxer my hair wont look the same after my relaxer day. Even we I did go to the stylist it was a waste of money cause my hair was still curly at the ends. But I fixed that problem....
ETA: I did this because the last 3 inches of my hair was underprocessed, my stylist did verify this.
Neither am I pushing you towards relaxing your ends.

Last edited:
I agree that you may need a trim. It may also have to do with the temperature of the tool you're using and the type... Stylists normally use the marcel irons and they get really hot and seal your ends. The stuff we have at home might get hot but because it's a different finish, the results will be different too... It may also have to do with the products you're usuing.
Please don't pull a relaxer to the ends of your hair. That is hair suicide! :wallbash: It doesn't make sense... your stlyist doesn't need to pull your relaxer through to your ends to give you smooth ends, now does she?

I agree that you may need a trim. It may also have to do with the temperature of the tool you're using and the type... Stylists normally use the marcel irons and they get really hot and seal your ends. The stuff we have at home might get hot but because it's a different finish, the results will be different too... It may also have to do with the products you're usuing.
Please don't pull a relaxer to the ends of your hair. That is hair suicide! :wallbash: It doesn't make sense... your stlyist doesn't need to pull your relaxer through to your ends to give you smooth ends, now does she?

100% agreed!

Thanks all ladies for chiming in... but I too have to agree, that may be hair suicide!

Please don't pull the relaxer to your ends. That is overprocessing and your ends could end up tore up from the floor up with damage! You might want to moisturize your ends daily, you might need a trim. Do you use heat protectant on your hair prior to flat ironing? If you don't you might want to consider. Tressemee has a good one. But I would't pull relaxer through to the end of my hair.

As your hair grows, the temperature and elements affect it. As long as you don't pull relaxer to your ends everytime you relaxer your hair and DC very well, you should not receive damage. But you may need a trim or an actual cut. But you know your hair better than anyone.

When self-relaxing, do you put something on your ends before applying the relaxer to protect them? Maybe they're overprocessed due to relaxer run-off.

Also, I make a point to apply product to my ends first, and then to the rest of the hair whenever I style. Just so I don't miss even a little section of my ends...

But yeah, I think you may just need a trim...

This is an interesting thread. Interesting because of all the different angles and pieces of advice.

I don't think you should pull relaxer to ends all the time, but if you feel your hair can take the chemicals, then as my girlfriend says, "do you boo" After you do that, I do think you should baby your ends and moisturize them...just to avoid damage.

What I don't understand about pulling the relaxer to the ends is---if it's just the ends that are frizzy, why endanger the rest of the length with the risk of over processing?

Even if you don't want to trim, you could just put more serum or something on the ends and then flat iron (using the "comb chase" method).

How often do you use heat? Can you rollerset? imo it makes a huge difference with your ends. I would also suggest a trim. If you look at my profile you can see the difference between using heat and rollersetting on just the ends of my hair.

Shell,
This is the problem- My hair NEVER looks as good as when my stylist does it (flat iron). Even though I use my miraculous CHI flat iron:nono:

That's why we pay them!!!!!:wallbash:

Unfortunately, I don't have the answer. But I do know you should not put perm on your ends!!!

I have the same problem with my ends as well. They always dry frizzy at home, when wet you can actually see spirals. Even after I blow dry, my hair is frizzy, after flat ironing my ends are frizzy. I also noticed that when I get my hair flat ironed at the salon it looks thinner, at home it looks fuller, maybe because of the frizz???

Back