Frequent Shampooers... Chime In!

MsSanz92

So I've noticed over the years that my hair tends to fare better when I shampoo more frequently. I know especially for many naturals that shampooing frequently is seen as "bad", but I think it's a bit misleading. I find the issue mostly being using too harsh shampoos and too much of it at once. Most naturals I know shampoo somewhere between every two weeks-once a month, however I notice that my hair thrives better when I shampoo every 7-10 days.

Some people might not consider that frequent either, because there are some people due to their lifestyle (swimmers, athletes, fitness fanatics, etc.) who shampoo 2-3 times a week. I don't think I would need to shampoo my hair that frequently, however, if I wait past the 10 day threshold, my hair feels filthy and starts to shed excessively. I also have been having some issues with dandruff, and shampooing more frequently and using anti-dandruff products has helped significantly. I really think that as long as you're using a moisturizing shampoo (preferably sulfate free), shampooing isn't bad.

Granted, there are many naturals who can't handle weekly shampooing, but I just come to the conclusion that my hair needs to be shampooed more frequently. Who else on here is a weekly/frequent shampooer (preferably type 4a/4b/4c naturals)?

My hair and scalp definitely prefer to be shampooed. I haven't had any issues with excessive dryness or breakage and I wash once a week. It helps to keep my strands from getting too much buildup (which is easy for LP hair) and my DCs are able to penetrate better. I would never attempt weekly shampoo washes with a sulfate laden shampoo but with the right sulfate free/moisturizing shampoo I think it is fine.

Just started shampooing once a week. I used to do it once every three weeks, but I had buildup on my scalp. I would diaper wipe the excess sebum off.
I definitely prefer weekly shampooing. I can't scratch off a layer of sebum now.
I usually dilute my current shampoo though because it's a little harsh on its own.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! When I wear weaves, I tend to shampoo once every two weeks, but I definitely know for the sake of my scalp and so that my weave isn't weighed down, it would probably be better if I washed weekly. It's just a pain to get my braids dry, even with a hooded dryer. If I'm not lazy, I do wash once a week, but it's definitely better when my hair is out or in braids.

I'm a major fan of poo'ing... always have been. My sweet spot is 2x/week. I work out now so I've been washing twice a week. The mid week wash I'll use a moisturizing poo. On the weekends I'll use my tea tree poo for the first wash and then follow up with a moisturizing poo. My hair feels best when it's cleansed twice a week, been that way forever. I know I'm in the minority with this :lol:

I'm a 4b (straight hair) natural and I shampoo weekly. I don't care about sulfates...I just want a clean scalp and hair that's free of buildup and oils. The longest I have gone without shampoo was 4 weeks after a Dominican blowout. I would wash more frequently than that, but finger detangling is too time consuming to do more than once a week.

I shampoo my natural hair once to twice a week without any problems but I think it's because of the shampoo I use. I use Chagrin valley shampoo bars. They get my hair clean but don't dry it out. I discovered it the second time I bc'd. My hair felt like hay after I cut it but I couldn't fig out why. I heard about the shampoo bars and decided to try it. With the first wash I noticed a difference. By a month it was back to normal. I've been using it ever since.

With that shampoo I can wash as much as I want and don't have to worry about dry hair.

I shampoo my natural hair once to twice a week without any problems but I think it's because of the shampoo I use. I use Chagrin valley shampoo bars. They get my hair clean but don't dry it out. I discovered it the second time I bc'd. My hair felt like hay after I cut it but I couldn't fig out why. I heard about the shampoo bars and decided to try it. With the first wash I noticed a difference. By a month it was back to normal. I've been using it ever since.

With that shampoo I can wash as much as I want and don't have to worry about dry hair.
I may have to try these. I will be in search of new shampoo next month.

I tried cowashing once every other week and just ended up with a dry scalp that was covered in buildup that sometimes dried. My hair felt fabulous, but my scalp could not take it. Not even clay washes were enough to get the buildup off.

So I shampoo once a week and DC everytime. I'm still figuring out which moisturizing shampoos to buy. I like the SM curl and shine, but I'm almost out of that one and so will branch out to another SM.

I try my best to shampoo every week. Sometimes I go 2 weeks, but that is because I'm lazy. I just like the feeling of a clean scalp. When I first became natural, my need for a clean scalp was making my hair dry. Now, I have started diluting my shampoos and washing in about 12-16 twists. With these techniques, I could probably shampoo twice a week with no problem. I also shampoo with a sulfate-free shampoo every week and a sulfate-shampoo about every month or so. But, it doesn't really matter if the shampoo is sulfate-free or not because diluting the shampoo and washing in twists is what really made the difference.

I may have to try these. I will be in search of new shampoo next month.
It's def worth giving a try. They aren't really expensive and last a long time. I know everyones hair is different and responds differently to products but I can't live without these shampoo bars. I also like the fact that they have a wide variety for different problems.

I've used the conditioning shampoo bar, ayuvedic, and the herb garden. They all worked well but I'm particularly fond of the herb garden because it helps with shedding and thinning. They also lather really well.

These are the only bars that leave my hair clean but not overly stripped or dry.

I've also tried bobeam shampoo bars but didn't like them. They got rave reviews but made my hair dry as if I had used a protein treatment. Both I believe sell samples. I know for sure chagrin valley does. I would suggest buying a few samples and trying it out that way first.

I cowash daily at the moment so I have to shampoo weekly. I also use a shampoo with sulfates because I don't like how my hair feels with sulfate-free shampoos.

It's def worth giving a try. They aren't really expensive and last a long time. I know everyones hair is different and responds differently to products but I can't live without these shampoo bars. I also like the fact that they have a wide variety for different problems.

I've used the conditioning shampoo bar, ayuvedic, and the herb garden. They all worked well but I'm particularly fond of the herb garden because it helps with shedding and thinning. They also lather really well.

These are the only bars that leave my hair clean but not overly stripped or dry.

I've also tried bobeam shampoo bars but didn't like them. They got rave reviews but made my hair dry as if I had used a protein treatment. Both I believe sell samples. I know for sure chagrin valley does. I would suggest buying a few samples and trying it out that way first.
Will absolutely do this. Thanks.

I agree with everyone that mentioned diluting their shampoo. It is the only way I can shampoo so often without stripping or drying my hair. I usually use 1oz of shampoo in 4-6oz of water.

I shampoo every wash as well. I need to because like most people here indicated, my scalp would itch like crazy and of course, I would scratch it. That is not good because I can scratch until I bleed which is not an option for me.

I love shampoo. My hair becomes hard to detangle if I go too long without shampooing, and it starts to feel coated/gunky. Suave makes nice shampoo from their "naturals" line. I really like the daily clarifying shampoo. I get a deep clean without my hair feeling like hay. It's like I can feel every single strand of hair after using it.

I shampoo about 2-3x a week. Lately I have been using Nexxus Therappe moisture 'poo. Good stuff. I think the key to frequent shampooing is finding a shampoo that has great ingredients for your hair and following up with a creamy/slippy conditioner and good moisturizing regimen.

I am natural, a 4-something, and workout 4 times a week w/a psycho trainer. I cleanse, condition, and style twice a week (Sunday, Tuesday). I cleanse and deep condition once a week (Friday). My cleansers are a shampoo bar (dc right after), devacurl no-poo decadence, and diy sodium bentonite clay/acv. I make soap nut shampoo when I have the time (which hasn't been lately).

I shampoo every wash because I purchase my products in sets and felt bad that the shampoo was just sitting here.

However I used to be an avid daily cowasher and would go months (honestly maybe even a year) without using shampoo.

I have noticed no difference in growth or retention.

Back