for the relaxded ladies, are you a wet wrapping queen?

Evolving78

back in the day, i used to wrap my hair like crazy. i didn't experience any damage from wrapping. well i am considering going back that route. don't get me wrong, i love my roller sets, but sometimes, i want to just get on with my life, and do something quicker.

i think i will wrap once a week and rollerset once a week. i was watching this lady's wrapping technique and i think i am pretty confident i can make it work for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv5sHOkmC-U&feature=BFa&list=ULtl109rWat8c&lf=mfu_in_order

the results
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJn2TUQG65g&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

her hair is so nice!

does anyone wet wrap their hair with a nice turnout? does it look good without using heat?

mzcris

I wet wraps my hair. I enjoy rollersetting but sometimes I'm like you...I want to get it over with. I make sure of course my hair is well conditioned and comb it out with my wet comb and I proceed to wet wrap it very gently...then I use a smaller tooth comb (not too small though) and finish it up. It turns out pretty good. And it saves me time. Going to check out these links you posted...I'm sure I can learn something else :)

MzRhonda

When my hair was longer I would wet wrap after a wash and then dry wrap throughout the week.

sunnieb

Hmmmmm...I haven't wet wrapped in a long time. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for tips! :yep:

mzcris

I forgot to add once my hair is finish drying. I comb it out and either spray some oil sheen on my hair OR moisturize my hair then wrap it back again but this time I wrap it with some saran wrap and sit back under the dryer for 10-15 minutes and my hairs looks silky smooth like it has been flat iron. I checked out the videos and thanks for posting them! My hair has no damage at all when wet wrapping; just have to be gentle that's all.

crlsweetie912

Wet wrapping was the bain of my existence for YEARS! My hair is so thick it would take forever to dry, and at that time I didn't have a hooded dryer...UGH!!!!

CReed

^^^^ Same here...my hair would never dry. I'm a roller set kinda girl. But I'll check the videos to see if I'm persuaded to differently.

EbonyCPrincess

The lady's hair in the video turned out really pretty. Back in the day my hair never dried completely either. The stylist would always have to "break my wrap" in order for it to dry all the way thru. And my hair only turned out slightly straighter than when I air dried. I've always been amazed at women who could wet wrap and get perfectly straight, shiny hair.

I'm definitely a rollerset girl though even if I could wet wrap well. I prefer more body in my hair and I'm not a big fan of completely straight hair on me.

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
I used to wash my hair wet wrap every week and, when I stopped, my hair started shedding like crazy; so now I'm going back to it.

My hair is thick, so it takes forever to dry. When I hood dry (Pibbs), I have to put it on my dryer on super high to dry in an 1-1.5 hours (high as in, must wear ear covers and cover my neck).

For me, the best way is to wet wrap either first thing in the morning or right before bed and leave it to air dry for around 24 hours...lol. When I have to go outside while it is wet, I put on a wig. However, sometimes, if I wash before bed, I'll hood dry on medium for 30 mins and then sleep. If I do that, it's usually dry by morning.

**EDIT***

I focused on drying and forgot about the rest. I use a leave-in and a foam wrap. For my leave-in, it depends on how my hair is doing. Usually, I use the Kearcare's creamy leave-in. If my hair needs a little more protein, I use the Roux treatment. For my foam wrap, I was using Keracare or Motions; but I recently discovered the Cream of Nature one with Aragan Oil, and I kind of like it.

One of the key things that helps me in wrapping is making sure I started from the back. I comb my hair completely down. Then, I part my hair in the back and begin wrapping. For me, that gave me better results than starting in the front. I also make sure my hair is wet, but not dripping. Otherwise, it takes even longer to dry.

After wrapping, I spritz a little light oil, usually Keracare silken seal (can you tell I like Keracare). However, now, I also like the Shea Moisture aragan oil now; so I may try that the next time i wrap.

Keracare is kind of expensive and harder to get, so I've been trying to swap in some cheaper alternatives that have the same effect.

Last edited:

DominicanBrazilian82

When I was a little girl my Mom used to wet wrap my hair every week. Most of the time I didn't have enough sense and patience to sit there, so I would let it dry overnight with my scarf on. For those times that I did sit there for the hour it took, my results were absolutely gorge!

Thanks for the reminder. After my relaxer stretch I am going to try this again. Trying to do it now (11 weeks post) might prove slightly challenging. Plus by then I will have my Pibbs dryer (not that silly Gold'N'Hot that drives me crazy)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

DominicanBrazilian82

EbonyCPrincess said:
The lady's hair in the video turned out really pretty. Back in the day my hair never dried completely either. The stylist would always have to "break my wrap" in order for it to dry all the way thru. And my hair only turned out slightly straighter than when I air dried. I've always been amazed at women who could wet wrap and get perfectly straight, shiny hair.

I'm definitely a rollerset girl though even if I could wet wrap well. I prefer more body in my hair and I'm not a big fan of completely straight hair on me.

I'm with you... I love the body of a Rollerset :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF