Fine Haired Naturals - Bunning Experiences?

BERlin

Hey there.

I'm sure this has been covered in some of the larger bunning threads but when I search them I don't think I'm getting a clear enough picture.

Fine Haired Naturals, are you getting good retention with buns? I'm about 80 % fine, with some medium and coarse hairs thrown in at my crown and behind my ears. My go to protective style has been chunky twists, but I want to play around more with styling--twists are starting to feel boring and unpolished. I'm constantly battling breakage and tangles with my edges and my entire head is tangle prone.

If you are a fine haired natural who has found success with bunning, I have some questions for you:

• What is your bunning schedule?

• How have you circumvented experiencing breakage around the perimeter of your hair?

•If your ends are prone to tangles, what is your detangling schedule?

• If you haven't already mentioned it, what tools are you using to secure your bun?

• Any other tips and tricks you'd like to share?

bunnie82

i'm a fine hurred natural...:yep:

twists are not my friends unless they are hella chunky and not worn for long...
I also do not have breakage/thinning around my eges/perimeter

anyway...to answer your questions...

I bun whenever I feel like...i don't really have a schedule....but if I think about it, i think my hair is bunned 4 days out of the week...

• How have you circumvented experiencing breakage around the perimeter of your hair?
exnay on the gel-ay.....and also I don't brush them down too much....my satin wrap helps with that....

I detangle once a week...but if my ends are too tangled, my hair is telling me i need a trim....

• If you haven't already mentioned it, what tools are you using to secure your bun?
ouchless hair ties, good hair day pins, booby pins...

skip the gel and just use moisturizer/conditioner.....wet your hair and apply it and tie it up to lay everything down....i only use gel every once in a while if i really want a slicked back uptight look

grownupnai

I was natural until about 2 months ago. I'm fine haired with low density and still bun my hair the same way. I like brushing my edges with a soft brush after detangling with a big comb, water, scurl and oil. Sometimes less product depending on when I last washed. I pull my hair gently where I want it on my head, bun loosely and secure with a hairband(without the metal, ya know?) and I dont pull too tight. Afterward I wear a scarf for about 15 minutes so it stays neat, edges and all without the extra tension. Now that my hair is long enough I have also tried to secure my buns with two bobby pins or those clips. You know the clips that bend and open, and bend back and close? I twist my hair into a bun pull and secure.

grownupnai

my profile pic is from 3 months ago. My hair was natural and in a messy bun. No scarf, just moisture and fuzzies all around.

Last edited:

leiah

I bun every day. Do my bun for the day, take it out when I get home from work, bun on top of my head for sleep.

No ponytails! And I can definitely tell I need to let my hair down by the end of the day

Usually I detangle once a week when I shampoo and DC. Right now I am shedding a lot so I detangle every other day when I cowash.

I did this as my hair grew out and used whatever worked for me at the time. Spin pins when it was shorter, plastic hair pins like good day hair pins, a piece from a stocking. I would just do like a big bantu knot and fasten it. Now that my hair is long I use hair sticks.
I do a sock bun every once in a while, but I really try to avoid pony tails.

Always make sure your ends are tucked somewhere in the middle of your bun!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Bunning gave me breakage in the perimiter and the center of my hair. This is when i was bunning constantly. My hair would always tangle in the bun no matter what i did (i tried braiding,twisting and slathering it in grease etc) my hair does not get smooth without gel so i usually used gel(ecostyler olive) sometimes i would use conditioner only but my hair would frizz up easily. I usually applied product daily to keep it neat looking. I usually kept the same bun in for a few days at a time.

I would say you can probably sucesfully bun if your hair usually does not tangle when you pull it back,can tie it back fairly loosley, take it down daily or every few days, not use hard holding product to keep it down and/or feel comfortable with frizz.