Fine Haired Naturals

Mini-twists are bad for my fine hair. Took me about 6 months to confirm that they result in pretty bad SSKs for me. Medium size or larger, or flat twists are best for me. Small twists begin to unravel after about 4 days, and its downhill from there.

Mini twists worked out well for me but mini braids (without extension) tore my ends up and caused like a 4" set back for me. I've been bunning about 99% of the time since June and retention has been awesome!

@Bublin, you're my most difficult chile! :spank: Yes, I've adopted you even though I don't know why LOL. One of these days, I'ma sit on you and apply S Curl on your hair and show you soft tresses you claim are not possible with this sacred juice.

And then the next day I'ma sit on you again and twist your hair the proper way then dunk you in water head first and ask you to show me this frizz you claim is inevitable. :rolleyes: Methinks it's just your twisting technique that needs tweaking.

You think you're slick? Think I didn't see you reach for something... :duck: Miss! :p

Whilst i was washing my hair today, i was thinking of you. How you are such a patient mummy. You do not tire of telling your children the same thing over and over and wait patiently for the day when they finally get it into their heads.:orders:

I still dunno 'bout the scurl hun but today i did something that i should have done years ago.
@Nonie you are of course so right. Shed hairs are the devil :mob:.
For all the 2 years that i have been natural i have only used a shower comb. If i used anything smaller, it's rip city. I thought pulling shed hairs out with fingers was good enough and them falling out during the wash process was me removing shed hair :nono:. Styling my hair is always a nightmare and the breakage and tangling so awful.

So today i washed my hair in 6 sections and shampoo'd and AFTER i rinsed the 'poo out, on bare wet hair, i combed with a Denman Professional Detangler.

251251386_o.jpg

I was actually quite upset with myself because i realised 1) how easy and much more effective it was to comb out my hair WITHOUT any product on it and 2) the amount of shed hair that was in the comb was shocking. I had been leaving that in my hair every single time i washed and styled :nono:.

Adding to this, once i had removed all the shedded hair, styling felt so different; there was no snap, crackle, pop and hair all over my hands.

I feel like such a fool for not taking on board the importance of completely removing the shed hair. I honestly thought what i saw in the tub and what was on my hands whilst styling was the majority of it.

Last edited:
NaturalBeauty<3 You didn't say how long you wear your twists for. Also do you twirl the hair in the strands around their own axes before you wrap the strands around each other to form the twist? Coz if you don't, then there's no way you can avoid tangles. Remember about 50-100 hairs are shed every day and they get caught up in there, so if the hair isn't held in some stretched state that keeps it in check (which is what the twirl does), then it'll just slither out of the strand and mingle with that in the other strand, add in shed hair, and you have a nightmare.

Bigger twists may help in terms of not forming locs or being hard to undo, but I don't know if they'll eliminate tangles unless you adopt the twirl before wrapping technique.

I had only left them in for 2 days, Just to see if i could do them basically. I'll try again [eventually] with the twirl technique. Thanks for that, tho, Nonie ! Makes so much sense. . .

Last edited:
Thank you guys for the responses, But I'll probably stick to my buns & cowashes. I just got temporarily bored. If its not broke. . .dont fix it. davisbr88 has petrified me with the 4 inch setback. Naaaah i'm straight on the twists. lol.

Thank you guys for the responses, But I'll probably stick to my buns & cowashes. I just got temporarily bored. If its not broke. . .dont fix it. davisbr88 has petrified me with the 4 inch setback. Naaaah i'm straight on the twists. lol.

I mean... your experience may be different but it was a hot mess for me!
I think it was because I can twist all the way to the ends of my hair but I couldn't braid all the way to the ends so it ended up not being a PS for me at all.

I mean... your experience may be different but it was a hot mess for me!
I think it was because I can twist all the way to the ends of my hair but I couldn't braid all the way to the ends so it ended up not being a PS for me at all.

I was already iffy. . . the tangles were ridiculous! I'm just not sure if i wanna risk it. It wouldn't be worth it.

Back