FENUGREEK IS THE BUSINESS...GREAT SLIP/STOPS SHEDDING/CHEAP

Have anyone with gray hair notice a decrease since using fenugreek? Its highly recommended for the grays, i'm going to jump back on this train maybe it will reduce mine so i won't have to use hair dyes.

Tried a fenugreek hair masque on my hair this morning. My hair was extremely tangled where I had not combed it in days. Worked wonders. I mixed fenugreek powder with boiling water to form a paste. The texture was significantly helped when I put it in a blender. Then, I added a small amount of conditioner to further help with texture (keep the paste smooth). I applied to my hair and covered with a plastic bag. I sat under heat for about 90 minutes and washed out. Awesome slip. Tangles melted!

I boiled my powder this morning for tomorrow's DC session.
Planning on adding cassia, DC & Evoo tomorrow before applying.

I mixed the powder with boiling water for a few minutes and allowed it to sit overnight. Just looked at it and I don't see the mucilage that you all mentioned. I stirred the mixture and it feels a little slippery. Did I do something wrong????????:perplexed

I mixed the powder with boiling water for a few minutes and allowed it to sit overnight. Just looked at it and I don't see the mucilage that you all mentioned. I stirred the mixture and it feels a little slippery. Did I do something wrong????????:perplexed
How much water and how much powder did you use?

I have been using a fenugreek treatment on my hair since I joined this board (at least 5 years) and I concur with the OP about it's moisturizing and slip ability.

I don't use a paste however, I strain my fenugreek mixture and just use the liquid and it has the same effect.

Last edited:
I use 1 cup water + 2 spoons powder then I add my other ingredients the next day.
My hair is Full SL / APL

^^^^^i use about the same proportions except along with the finger eek I use marshmallow root powder and slippery elm powder.

I use 1 cup water + 2 spoons powder then I add my other ingredients the next day.
My hair is Full SL / APL

I'm going to try this portion size. because the batch I made was watery as well, I'm still going to use to lliquid in my hair though:yep:

I boiled powder yesterday, say 1/4 cup with two cups of water. I was lazy and I put a lid on the pan, let it cool and threw it in the fridge.
I just scooped it out into my blender. While I was scooping, I was trying to figure out what this was reminding me of.
Maple flavored Cream of Wheat.
Which I love but don't eat anymore. Now I'm craving. :)
I saturated my hair with olive oil and poured some into the Cream of Wheat/fenugreek along with the tablespoon of grapeseed oil that I had left.
I'm sitting here watching Once Upon a Time planning to hit the grocery store for hot cereal and grapeseed oil.
I'm hoping this will soften and silken my hair. Give it some vavoom or something.
We'll see. I'll update once I rinse.

ETA: I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed AND rinsed. I didn't realize my hair would feel protein-y-ish. I still haven't bought a moisturizing DC yet so I used a pimped up rinse out with a ACV final rinse. Not sure what to do now. It feels strong and moist and good in a way that I can't explain.

Last edited:

ElegantElephant
I dont think you did anything wrong. The mix should be watery and slippery before you put in the blender. It doesnt seem like it but when you start blending it will instantly start thickening up into a paste (from the vid and my own experience). Then when you add the oil and blend some more it will become fluffier.

I LOVE this HHJ!!

I have been using a fenugreek treatment on my hair since I joined this board (at least 5 years) and I concur with the OP about it's moisturizing and slip ability.

I don't use a paste however, I strain my fenugreek mixture and just use the liquid and it has the same effect.

In fact I should still have a recipe that I use in my fotki album. I'm down to 2 bags now so it's time to reorder:yep:. It is especially helpful on my texlaxed hair.

ETA:

Here's the link to my fenugreek recipe:
http://public.fotki.com/LadyAggie/my-product-lists/my-fenugreek-seed-t/

Aggie

Thanks for sharing!

Have you ever used the Fenugreek seeds instead of the powder for your recipe? I ask b/c I currently have the seeds & don't know if I need to buy the powder for the same effect

Also you mentioned doing the rinse treatment on pre-oiled hair & then following up with a deep conditioning treatment, did you wash your hair before the rinse or after the deep conditioner?

Thanks in advance sis :grin:

I use 1 tbsp of seeds with 1 cup of water and blend it until it gets thick. If I mixed by hand, it would probably be watery with tiny lumps.

NappyRina I have the seeds also and have never used the powder. it woorks great for me but the seeds have to be soaked in hot water to soften so it takes an extra step.

I do not wash first. I apply the fenugreek paste to dry hair, wrap in plastic and co wash it out.

The one time I DTed after, my hair was limp, mushy and over conditioned. I guess it depends on what your hair needs or can handle.

@Aggie

Thanks for sharing!

Have you ever used the Fenugreek seeds instead of the powder for your recipe? I ask b/c I currently have the seeds & don't know if I need to buy the powder for the same effect

Also you mentioned doing the rinse treatment on pre-oiled hair & then following up with a deep conditioning treatment, did you wash your hair before the rinse or after the deep conditioner?

Thanks in advance sis :grin:

You're welcomed NappyRina. Unfortunately I have never used the seeds but they both have the same effect on the hair, mucilage and all.

I would preoil my hair and scalp with a 2-3 minute scalp massage, then use the rinse making sure to saturate my scalp with it (add some drops of rosemary, lavender and cedarwood oil for stimulation if desired), followed by deep conditioning. I sometimes use the rinse as a base for my henna treatments.

FYI:

It is not necessary to DC after a fenugreek rinse but I do because it's usually time for my deep conditioning treatment anyway. I like that silky feeling the FTR (fenugreek tea rinse) gives my hair just before I deep condition. My texlaxed hair turns out a lot better this way and I believe that if I use the FTR after DCing, it would still react the same way.

The FTR (rinse) can be used as just that - a rinse with no washing, no DCing - just a rinse which I have done a few times as well but mostly on days when my time was limited. Either way, it's a very good rinse.

Ayurveda is great like that. Afterall, even henna, a known color agent for the hair and skin can be used as a hair conditioning treatment with limitations on the amount of time it's left on the hair. Many ayur-herbs can be used as a paste or a tea rinse. This, I feel, depends on preference, but are all equally effective.

Once you have a basic knowledge of what these herbs do for your hair, experiment a little on different mixtures (paste or rinse) and see which one is best for you. I chose the (strained) rinse because I don't really care for fighting to get the herbs out of my hair.

I use 1 tbsp of seeds with 1 cup of water and blend it until it gets thick. If I mixed by hand, it would probably be watery with tiny lumps.

@NappyRina I have the seeds also and have never used the powder. it woorks great for me but the seeds have to be soaked in hot water to soften so it takes an extra step.

I do not wash first. I apply the fenugreek paste to dry hair, wrap in plastic and co wash it out.

The one time I DTed after, my hair was limp, mushy and over conditioned. I guess it depends on what your hair needs or can handle.

biancaelyse

I was wondering if it was totally necessary to blend the soaked seeds afterwards ... can the mucilige/liquid be seperated from the soaked seeds & then used like a rinse or can the the mucilage/liquid be added to conditioner or oil as a treatment, avoiding the blending step? Thanks!

You're welcomed @NappyRina. Unfortunately I have never used the seeds but they both have the same effect on the hair, mucilage and all.

I would preoil my hair and scalp with a 2-3 minute scalp massage, then use the rinse making sure to saturate my scalp with it (add some drops of rosemary, lavender and cedarwood oil for stimulation if desired), followed by deep conditioning. I sometimes use the rinse as a base for my henna treatments.

Aggie

Is the treatment cleansing for your scalp as well or are you washing your hair prior to the pre-oiling process? Thanks!

NappyRina
I was wondering if it was totally necessary to blend the soaked seeds afterwards ... can the mucilige/liquid be seperated from the soaked seeds & then used like a rinse or can the the mucilage/liquid be added to conditioner or oil as a treatment, avoiding the blending step? Thanks!
:yep:... in my previous post I stated this is exactly what I did- just used the juice and it worked wonderfully

eta- see below
today i used the "juice" i got from soaking the seeds overnight in water... i mixed the juice with my conditioner and some evco and dc'ed under the heating cap... my detangling session was soooo much easier... this is a keeper... i still have a good amount of shedded hairs but i chalk that up to only combing out my hair 1x a week so on wash day a weeks worth of shedded hairs come out
i have both the powder and seeds... they're very cheap... each bag is 14oz for $1 and some change... i'm from chgo so all the int'l markets always have an indo-paki section because we have a large indian-pakastani population

eta: i'm texlaxed and haven't had a relaxer in over 2mos... so you can imagine all the textures i'm currently dealing with:spinning:
if & when i transition this will make it so much easier

@NappyRina - I've always blended and been happy using all of the mucilage. I've never tried using just the water.

biancaelyse

Even though I should know better, I'm just sooo scurrrred of having to pick pieces out of my hair :nono: ... I'll probably try it both ways to compare how my hair feels with just the mucilage/tea and then blended soaked seeds & mucilage :yep: Thanks!

@biancaelyse

Even though I should know better, I'm just sooo scurrrred of having to pick pieces out of my hair :nono: ... I'll probably try it both ways to compare how my hair feels with just the mucilage/tea and then blended soaked seeds & mucilage :yep: Thanks!

NappyRina it depends on how well you blend and how well you rinse out later.

I run it through my Vitamix until it gets really really thick. Once I scoop it into a bowl, you can turn the bowl upside down and it won't fall out.

I use a lot of conditioner to rinse and I don't have any particles still stuck in my hair.

Many of the users her pre-oil their hair before applying fenugreek and they are able to rinse it out easily.

@NappyRina it depends on how well you blend and how well you rinse out later.

I run it through my Vitamix until it gets really really thick. Once I scoop it into a bowl, you can turn the bowl upside down and it won't fall out.

I use a lot of conditioner to rinse and I don't have any particles still stuck in my hair.

Many of the users her pre-oil their hair before applying fenugreek and they are able to rinse it out easily.

biancaelyse

Oh wow it gets that thick?!! I'll definitely blend it like a maniac (take no chances LOL) ... I had a bad experience a few years back with not blending a banana well enough and adding it to my conditioner - I ended up picking pieces out of my hair for days (these kinks can hold onto to anything) :nono:

Thanks for sharing ... now I'm a little less nervous LOL :spinning:

^^ Bananas and garlic powder where such a NIGHTMARE to rinse out of my hair back when I tried them out.

Never again.

Back