FENUGREEK IS THE BUSINESS...GREAT SLIP/STOPS SHEDDING/CHEAP

cocomama

Over the years I have been constantly simplifying my natural hair regimen. I also have completely gotten my PJism under control by using mostly natural ingredients.

Weekly, I take about 2-3 tablespoons of Fenugreek and mixed it with 3-5 cups of boiling water. I make a paste that's similiar to mash potatoes. Just apply the water a little at a time until you get the desired consistency. Then allow the mixture to sit over night until a mucilage forms in the paste. This mucilage makes the hair have super slip. I add a tablespoon of cold pressed coconut oil to the mixture after the mucilage had formed.

Next, I apply the Fenugreek paste to dry unwashed or washed hair ...then cover my hair with a plastic bag and leave this paste on my hair for approximately 1-2 hours. You don't need more than that because you don't want this mixture to dry in your hair. The plastic bag helps with keeping your moisture levels up while deepprepooing.

SIDENOTE: My BFF discovered that if you mixed the Fenugreek paste to a conditioner of your choice it will rinse out much easier. I still applied a conditioner of choice afterwards like normal.

BOTTOM LINE:

Fenugreek is the business! Fenugreek promotes growth, eliminates dandruff, treats baldness and moisturizes the hair shaft. To me this mixture is better than tea rinses to completely stop hair fall. I'm also not comfortable with putting caffeine on my scalp since anything we put on our scalp is absorbed into our skin. Plus Fenugreek gives hair great slip to enable detangling with complete ease. The combination of coconut oil and fenugreek made my hair shiny and silky. Do yourself a favor...get your $2.49 together and walk no run to your nearest International store!

UPDATE: Make sure you apply a generous amount of coconut oil or any oil of your choice on the hair shaft before you apply fenugreek. This makes the fenugreek paste rinse out easier!

http://gumbohair.blogspot.com/2013/08/update-new-simple-hair-regimen-august.html

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Nice review of fenugreek!

I keep passing the powder in the store, always unsure of if its right for me. THink I'll get that 2.49 on next time and add it to my tea regimen.

Thanks for posting!

cocomama

DarkJoy You won't regret it. I still have my same bag and it's been well over 2 months. It's a 14oz bag

Froreal3 You are welcome! I had to spread the word...I couldn't hold it to myself lol:lachen:

danniegirl

thanks i actually have some fenugreek and a bit of marshmallow root at home i was just looking for a recipe for both of them

cocomama

danniegirl I have marshmallow root but have not tried it yet. Could you post a recipe/results when you try it? I would love to know how to used it:grin:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I use the Tea(s) for Tea Rinsing. Probably won't try the Powders. The Tea works Great (for me).

I know beauti uses it and may be able to give her review.

MileHighDiva For me, it smells like a spice from an Indian Restaurant.

Our Coffee/Tea Challenge is a great way to try/learn new things.

beauti

Fenugreek is definitely the truth as far as moisture and slip. I've used it as a moisturizing spritz with other teas but I recently tried it with a conditioner over it to mask the pungent smell because fenugreek will have you smelling like an Indian grocery store :look: and the smell lingers. I wouldn't use it right before leaving the house.

Ann0804

Dang fenugreek does all that. I got a large bag of the power in my stash that I've never used and a box of the tea. Thanks op I'll be trying fenugreek again.

I love the smell of it. It reminds me of curry.

mshoneyfly

I have like 2-1/2 lbs of the seeds. You're right it is cheap! I ground some into a powder. Im gonna brew some tonight to make a cowash

beauti

MileHighDiva I don't shed out of the norm so I couldn't say but there's definitely noticeable strength to my hair strands when I use it on the regular. I'm not always consistent with fenugreek but I never stray too far.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Yes I love fenugreek in my Ayurveda mixes especially my henna.

I also like to make a flax seed spritz and add fenugreek to it. It smells like maple syrup to me. If I'm not mistaken its also used to aid in increasing milk for nursing moms

Osha

Yep, it's commonly used in india to wash hair. I use the powder along with indian and non indian powders. Love it.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I use the Tea(s) for Tea Rinsing. Probably won't try the Powders. The Tea works Great (for me).

I know beauti uses it and may be able to give her review.

MileHighDiva For me, it smells like a spice from an Indian Restaurant.

Our Coffee/Tea Challenge is a great way to try/learn new things.

Same here I add it to my tea brew:yep: I love it as I find it gives my hair a silky/slick feel:lick: love fenugreek!

gn1g

I have a huge container of 99.8% aloe vera juice and wonder if I can mix it with the fenugreek? I need to do something with the AVJ

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@MileHighDiva

I was using it for Slip & Strength. Not shedding.

If/when I have shedding issues, I use Black Tea and Alter Ego Garlic Treatment.

And at the very least, Nutrine Garlic Conditioner.

Last edited:

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
I have a huge container of 99.8% aloe vera juice and wonder if I can mix it with the fenugreek? I need to do something with the AVJ

This is what I do when I'm being lazy.

Usually I simmer flaxseeds in aloe and then the last 5 minutes I turn the heat off and let the fenugreek steep on the stove. Sometimes I sieve it, sometimes I dont.

Ann0804

I just realized my shampoo has fenugreek in it, so if you don't want to play mixtress or find the scent of it offensive you can give this a try.

It's called EO Chamomile and Honey shampoo. I regularly use EO shampoos and like them. Here's the ingredients.

Purified Water, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Vegetable Glycerin, Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate & Sodium Lauroamphoacetate & Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Myristoyl Sarcosinate, Caprylyl/Capryl Glucoside, Panthenol, Hibiscus (Rosa Sinensis) Extract, Gotu Kola (Centella Asiatica) Extract, Dry Hair Complex [Lime (Citrus Aurantifolia) Fruit Extract, Avocado (Persea Gratissima) Fruit Extract, Fig (Ficus Carica) Fruit Extract, Fenugreek (Trigonella Foenum Graecum) Seed Extract], Hydrolyzed Quinoa Protein, EO Organic Herbal Blend [Organic Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf, Organic Chamomile (Matricaria Recutita) Flower Extract, Organic Calendula (Calendula Officinalis) Flower Extract, and Organic White Tea (Camelia Sinensis) Leaf Extract], Stearyl Dihydroxypropyldimonium Oligosaccharides, EO Essential Oil Blend [Lavender (Lavandula Officinalis) Essential Oil, Orange (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis) Essential Oil, Chamomile (Anthemis Nobilis) Essential Oil], Honey, Retinyl Palmitate (Vitmain A), Citric Acid, Sodium Phytate, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate