Don't sleep on oil-rinses!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Cool! Thanks! I'm gonna try it this tomorrow when I wash and I'll come back here to update. I love trying new things with my hair.

sareca

I used vatika oil as a pre-poo and then cowashed. I only meant to leave the oil on for one hour, but I fell asleep so it was more like three hours. My hair was definitely softer and more moisturized. I will have to try it with shampoo to see if it works just as well.

I use vatika too. Much less stinky than dabur. :barf:

Princess Pie

Just co-signing that this method really does work. I've been touching my hair all day (not helping the low manipulation :look:). I'm not protective styling, and I've got no tangles. :grin:

chellero

Wife Supremacist
I just wanted to share that this method worked on my kinky curly hair even after going a week without detangling.

sunshinebeautiful

Just co-signing that this method really does work. I've been touching my hair all day (not helping the low manipulation :look:). I'm not protective styling, and I've got no tangles. :grin:

I might need to get on the low-manipulation challenge as well. I've been all up in my hair a little too much lately. :look:

Everything Zen

Alright I'll try it tonight before my rollerset. I can't try it from scratch this time though :ohwell: because last night I pre-pooed with an ORS Hair Mayo and EVOO mix and detangled using my comb into two braids. I slept on this overnight. This morning I shampooed in the braids with KeraCare and ORS Creamy Aloe. Then I put on an ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pack and a plastic cap and then a head scarf and that's where I stopped to go to work. So after work I will try an oil rinse at least to see for moisture purposes. If this works getting though this month stretch will be a breeze! How long do you leave the oil on before rinsing? I can't wait!!!
:creatures

sareca

Me too!! It's been really bad today. Normally I can manage, but today I'm obsessed with pulling out shed hairs.... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

sareca

Alright I'll try it tonight before my rollerset. I can't try it from scratch this time though :ohwell: because last night I pre-pooed with an ORS Hair Mayo and EVOO mix and detangled using my comb into two braids. I slept on this overnight. This morning I shampooed in the braids with KeraCare and ORS Creamy Aloe. Then I put on an ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pack and a plastic cap and then a head scarf and that's where I stopped to go to work. So after work I will try an oil rinse at least to see for moisture purposes. If this works getting though this month stretch will be a breeze! How long do you leave the oil on before rinsing? I can't wait!!!
:creatures

Oh darn! Somebody else asked that too...

I've done it two ways. One was about an hour with heat... that was beyond amazing, but usually I only do 2-3 minutes in the shower.

IntoMyhair

My last wash and deep con day. I pre poo'ed with red palm and olive butter detangling was easy (i could detangle even before putting any water on my haed) ,but I have my hair in 2 strand twists for the next 2 weeks.

I did not no what I would do with my hair on wash and deep con day to assist with detangling. You have given a good idea next go round.

So when I undo my twist I shall be applying oil after I shampoo than detangling.

Now if I use EVOO or red palm and olive butter thats still up in the air lol.

Everything Zen

Oh darn! Somebody else asked that too...

I've done it two ways. One was about an hour with heat... that was beyond amazing, but usually I only do 2-3 minutes in the shower.

Yeah I'll try 2-3 minutes. I can't do an hour with heat because it'll rinse out my rinse!! lol Maybe I'll try it for an hour closer to my next relaxer. :yep:

Energee

Oh this does work! I tried it last night for the first time with Castor Oil. I'd never used castor oil before and I received it just in time yesterday for my midweek wash so I decided to incorporate it into my routine. I washed my hair and then put the castor oil on my hair--really focusing on my NG mainly because it's hard to tackle since I am stretching...lol. I put it in a small spray bottle so that I could really get to the roots of my hair without much manipulation. I could tell instantly that it was working because my hair became so soft in the ng area. I then put some on my ends and let it sit for a bit while I sat in the shower with the steam on. Then I rinsed with warm/hot water applied my deep conditioner (Terax crema) and sat under dryer. My hair is noticeably softer and more manageable today...my NG especially--and I'm very happy. I'm touching it now..it's just so soft...lol. I'm definitely going to be doing this more often.

LadyZ

OK, another question :hammer: :poke: :bricks: :kick2: :whipped:

Sorry, but I am old and slow when it comes to the new and improved methods:lachen:...

To do this oil-rinse, I should:

1. Poo
2. add my fav. oil (saturate hair)
3. put my conditioner on top of oil. Bag it...
4. leave on hair for the time I want.
5. rinse out, then proceed with leave-ins and then roller set..

I need help with tangles too...

TIA

Brownie518

:yep: Yep, oil rinses are off the hook. Love doing them. My favorite oils for this are Jasmine, Amla, Coconut, and Red Palm. I don't have that much problem with tangles but I do love the results of the oil rinses. :grin:

gymfreak336

Sorry, but I am old and slow when it comes to the new and improved methods:lachen:...

1. Poo

TIA

If you're having problems with tangles try this...
Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter)
Rinse with warm/hot water

Apply conditioner
Rinse
Apply leave-in
Seal

This was the initial post. I think you are supposed to rinse the oil out and then proceed to conditioning. When I try this, I will let you know

sareca

1. Poo

TIA
When I put oil on top of my conditioner it turns into a gunky mess on me. Don't get me wrong your hair will still benefit, but I think rinses a little cleaner if you...

1. Poo
2a. leave the oil as long as you want (with heat or without)
2b. rinse oil with hot water
3. put my conditioner

sareca

So just how much oil are you ladies using?

Also..just when do you detangle?

I use 2 palms full of oil. Basically I do it every time I wet my hair. I actually only detangle once/wk. When I apply the oil may change depending on what I'm doing. If I'm using a reconstructor or doing a protein treatment I follow the directions on the bottle and apply my oil after rinsing the treatment ... then follow the remaining steps.

Last edited:

sareca

Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter)
Rinse with warm/hot water

Apply conditioner
Rinse
Apply leave-in
Seal

This was the initial post. I think you are supposed to rinse the oil out and then proceed to conditioning. When I try this, I will let you know

What she said... :yep: We must have been writing at the same time.

Last edited:

4mia

i will try this tonight i actually started taking my leave in moisturizer then rinsing, that helped detangled easy but it seem to be a waste. Then i tried using a gloss serum like ic apply that after i washed and condition then detangled but it sounds like this oil rinse would be better.
I mean we have the domincan conditoner rinses, and that has oil in them so this has to work. I like it thanks sareca

i wonder if you can do this during the hennaing process??

sareca

i will try this tonight i actually started taking my leave in moisturizer then rinsing, that helped detangled easy but it seem to be a waste. Then i tried using a gloss serum like ic apply that after i washed and condition then detangled but it sounds like this oil rinse would be better.
I mean we have the domincan conditoner rinses, and that has oil in them so this has to work. I like it thanks sareca

i wonder if you can do this during the hennaing process??

I'm so glad you asked, do oil rinses before and after henna. It works extremely well to combat dryness and tangles after a henna treatment.

I also never thought about dominican rinses having oil in them. That's a good point.

LadyZ

When I put oil on top of my conditioner it turns into a gunky mess on me. Don't get me wrong your hair will still benefit, but I think rinses a little cleaner if you...

1. Poo
2a. leave the oil as long as you want (with heat or without)
2b. rinse oil with hot water
3. put my conditioner
==========

Thank you, I will try it tomorrow...

gymfreak336

I'm so glad you asked, do oil rinses before and after henna. It works extremely well to combat dryness and tangles after a henna treatment.
I also never thought about dominican rinses having oil in them. That's a good point.

Now that is a good idea.

I was going to wait till next week to try this but yall got me so excited. I might do it tonight.

WhipEffectz1

Typically I ignore threads about detangling methods and products. I have for the last year or so. I thought my hair's health or my big chop had something to do with how easily it detangles. That is absolutely NOT the case. The oil-rinse method is why it detangles so easily. My hair completely detangles under just running water! :eek: Keep in mind I've recently adopted a low manipulation regimen. So the last time I detangled was at least a week (or more) ago.

1. Rinse (or shampoo) your hair
  2. Coat in your favorite oil (I've used olive, meadowfoam, dabur alma, and aphogee EFA oil, red palm oil/butter)
  3. Rinse with warm/hot water
  4. Apply conditioner
  5. Rinse
  6. Apply leave-in
  7. Seal
I'm not alone other people think it a miracle too...http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=2679989#post2679989

Don't sleep on oil-rinses! It may be your hair miracle. :yep:

I already do this. No wonder my hair is thriving!