dominican salons - the way they apply the relaxers

krissynick

hey guys

i went to get my hair wash and set today cause i was too lazy to do it myself but anyway this lady there today was relaxing a womens head and i personally felt she was putting too much relaxer like she used those small tooth combs and scooped up too much relaxer for one small section of hair and i was so mad and then it got on the already straight hair.... like she just scooped up too much and she kept doing it... and i mean the ladies hair was healty and long it was like a lil passas bra strap but geeze.. wats the rule how much are u suppose to put and are u suppose to comb the relaxer through?

I feel you b/c I'm currently contemplating finding a new salon. The Dominican salon I currently go to for relaxers sometimes, depending on the girl, smooth too high so sometimes there is major overlapping. That part I don't like. That's why I try to moisturize and oil my previously relaxed hair so if some relaxer gets on it, it won't eat it up right away. LOL.

I've seen the Dominicans do this at the salon too... :look: But I've seen it done at Black salons as well.... :ohwell: I hate it when I see stylists overlapping relaxer... WTH??!! :nono:

I feel you b/c I'm currently contemplating finding a new salon. The Dominican salon I currently go to for relaxers sometimes, depending on the girl, smooth too high so sometimes there is major overlapping. That part I don't like. That's why I try to moisturize and oil my previously relaxed hair so if some relaxer gets on it, it won't eat it up right away. LOL.
That's what I did when I relaxed, just in case. I would put conditioner on my previously relaxed hair, then I would apply oil on top of that.

I went to a Dominican salon a few times last year and I saw a lot of overlapping.

krissynick, if you get a relaxer there specify that you want the relaxer applied to your new growth only and see how they respond to that.

That's exactly what's happening at my salon. now I'm 11 weeks post and since I did not appreciate one of them putting the relaxer on way past my roots, I'm considering stretching a bit more before deciding to go back to them and tell them how I want things done to my hair or just do it myself....

It doesn't damage the hair if u get some on some of the previously relaxed part of the strand. You just don't want it to get on the ends.

Plus, You want to apply enough relaxer to each section b/c if u apply to little the perm won't take.

It doesn't damage the hair if u get some on some of the previously relaxed part of the strand. You just don't want it to get on the ends.

How do you figure that?? If the hair has been previously relaxed, and you're putting relaxer over it again, yes, it can definitely weaken the strands... :look: I mean, I know that a little bit of overlap is unavoidable, but I think it needs to be kept to a bare minimum. :yep:

Plus, You want to apply enough relaxer to each section b/c if u apply to little the perm won't take.

hmm i have to disagree... once natural hair has been relaxed properly ... no relaxer should go on it period ... in my opinion if the relaxer dont take then u need a stronger relaxer... i mean i do agree u have to put enough but it should only be on the new growth nothing else

I've seen the Dominicans do this at the salon too... :look: But I've seen it done at Black salons as well.... :ohwell: I hate it when I see stylists overlapping relaxer... WTH??!! :nono:

ITA...too many stylists are guilty of this. It's hard to find good ones, but they exist :yep:

ITA...too many stylists are guilty of this. It's hard to find good ones, but they exist :yep:

u know imma start just oging into salons and just watching lol... how they do hair before i decide to get it done there.. they might think im stupid but shoot i want to see their techniques before i let them touch my hair... u know when u work so hard to get your hair finally right u dont want ur beautician of all ppl to mess that up.

hmm i have to disagree... once natural hair has been relaxed properly ... no relaxer should go on it period ... in my opinion if the relaxer dont take then u need a stronger relaxer... i mean i do agree u have to put enough but it should only be on the new growth nothing else

When I said

I was referring to the new growth. :yep: So, we agree about that.

Also, as far as "no relaxer should go on it period", I think this is a bit extreme. :yep: Think of all the people who get some relaxer on hair that has been previously relaxed and their hair is not damaged b/c of it. The lady's hair was still healthy and long after the lady relaxed it, right? Plus, she might even get her hair relaxed there everytime she needs a retouch.

When I said

I was referring to the new growth. :yep: So, we agree about that.

Also, as far as "no relaxer should go on it period", I think this is a bit extreme. :yep: Think of all the people who get some relaxer on hair that has been previously relaxed and their hair is not damaged b/c of it. The lady's hair was still healthy and long after the lady relaxed it, right? Plus, she might even get her hair relaxed there everytime she needs a retouch.

well i mean if it accidently gets on there im not gonna make a big deal but im talkin bout ppl just deliberatetly putting relaxer on already straight hair and not even caring ... just caue they too lazy to take their time and look for only the new growth to place it on

well i mean if it accidently gets on there im not gonna make a big deal but im talkin bout ppl just deliberatetly putting relaxer on already straight hair and not even caring ... just caue they too lazy to take their time and look for only the new growth to place it on

I know what you mean. They can be reckless in those shops sometimes! :yep: It's like they figure that no one knows enough about their hair or cares about their hair anyway so why even bother. They probably figure that when the clients go home they aren't going to take care of their hair anyway. They probably figure that if the clients really cared about their hair that much, they would've learned to do it themself and do it at home. :ohwell: :lol: That's why I'm like you: I try not to go! :lol: :grin:

Yes a lot of stylists are guilty of this.

But I've noticed that a lot in the dominican salons.

I went to get a wash and set last weekend at the dom. salon. I saw the stylist relax someone's hair. At first it looke dlike she was being very careful only applying to the ng. But after all the smoothing some of it ended up on the ladies ends.:ohwell:

Back