Does anyone with 4a/4b hair use a mild relaxer?

Nice

I have fine 4a/4b hair. Whenever I go to the salon and ask for a mild relaxer the stylist always give me the crazy look
smirk.gif
, and tells me that my hair needs a regular relaxer.

I use a mild relaxer as well. I've always used regular, until my new stylist put a mild in my hair. My hair came out just as soft (maybe softer) and just as straight. She told me that NO ONE should really ever use a super strength relaxer. HTH

I was always afraid to insist that the stylist use a mild relaxer because i didn't want my hair to be underprocessed. But now, I am reconsidering
smile.gif

I HAVE to use a mild relaxer. I burn very easily. The relazer so far that I have used is Affirm Mild or Affirm Sensitive Scalp. I have used it serveral times with no ill effects. I will continue to use it b/c it is gentle.

I use the Affirm Regular but I think for my next relaxer i will try to mild. I hope that it takes.

I have 4a/4b hair and I use the Motions Mild Oil Relaxer, and I really like it, I used regular before, but decided to try a milder formula.

just info. i'm 4a/b and used Revlon (lye) mild relaxer a couple of times in the past. i dont know what's wrong with their mild formula but it is STRONG (same appication and timing as when i use the regular 15-17 minutes tops including smoothing but with the mild i experienced burning within a couple minutes of applying it --on both occasions). So now i always stick to the regular
smile.gif
and it works just fine. if using Revlon Realistic, i would just stick to the Regular
smile.gif
HTH --jainygirl

I wouldn't use any other type. I used to use Affirm mild when I was relaxed years ago and my hair was the best it ever was. With a mild relaxer the hair breaks down slower and I find that I don't burn as easily if ever.

I just relaxed on Sat. after being natural for almost 3yrs and I used a Mizani mild and MY HAIR LOOKS GREAT!!! When I was shampooed, I could still see some curls as opposed to limp hair and it is straight when set. Mild relaxers DO work on 4a/4b hair. Believe me, I know. I plan to post pictures when I have had a few touch-ups.

Re: Does anyone with 4a/4b hair use a mild relaxe

My stylist uses Affirm mild, but he combs it through the tightly coiled new growth during the 17 minute application. Last touchup he used Affirm regular instead on my 16 weeks worth of new growth and underprocessed hair. It didn't take as well as the mild had in previous applications. I don't know why, and neither did he.

I have 4b hair and I use mild too. I think stylists are brainwashed to use regular or worse super if you have more than a wave to your hair. As long as your hair is fine I think the mild will work well and long as the stylist has skills and isn't gonna rely on the relaxer to do the woek for hrer.

I used a mild (Affirm) for the first time in Dec and my hair came out great. A lot of times it is the how the stylist applies the perm. I had never used a mild anything in my hair before. My hair also feels better after the relaxer.

I usually use a mild relaxer because I have very sensitive scalp and burn easily. I was told that it works just as well as a regular strenth. I had my doubts at first, but once I tried it; it did the same as any other strength, but without the extra dryness that a regular relaxer gives my hair.

I have 4b hair and I've always used a mild relaxer. I use Creme of Nature lye. It gets my hair as straight as I want it so I'll stick with it.

free2bme and cutebajangirl, I noticed that you guys live in NYC and i was wondering what hair salon do you go to?

I have used both mild and regular relaxers in the past and prefer mild (less dryness, equal straightness). I will be using Affirm mild from now on...

I have 4a/b and my hairdresser has always used mild on my hair as it leaves the hair with more body.

Back