does anyone believe....

[ QUOTE ]

Still we could always squash their other point that "due to the fragility of their multi-helixal structure, rarely attain great length" by sending them a picture of about 50 of us sporting manes stretching down to our bums.
smile.gif
So let's keep growing and give science something new to talk about. Mind over matter isn't something to snigger about.

[/ QUOTE ]
They would say that it is a weave!lol

I believe you can attain any length you want with proper care. I knew nothing of protecting the ends and moisturizing before I came to this site and my hair has hovered around shoulder lenth all my life. Anyone that has hair has new growth every month, learning how to maintain the lenth is the key.

I can't see why the cycle should or could be wrong?! You shed hair right? That is hair that is ending their cycle.

Yes people have new growth every month. All hair is not in the same place in the cycle. If they were you would be bald every few years. So some of your hair grows (new growth), some hair rest and some hair ends their cycle (shedding hair).

How long the cycle is and how fast your hair grows determine your potential length. If your cycle is 5 year, the oldest hair will be 5 years old and will if not cut have the length of 5 years growth. That is your length limit.

Growth cycle * speed = length limit

for instance (8 years * 6 inches = 48 inches)

So yes I believe you have a genetic limit and I think most people can grow at least to waist-length.

-Katrine

is hair shedding or being pulled out giving the illusion its shedding. i personally do not believe hair shed on its on. maybe its just me my eye brow hair doesnt shed. my arm hair doesnt shed. mustache etc. Maybe we comb our hair out the roots. i know one thing when my hair was cut like a short male hair cut it never shed. so how does it know to shed when its long?

Try bleaching your armhair and you will see that it *does* shed.

You dont notice short hair is shedding but *all* your hair all over your body shed. The reason you arm hair doesn't get 50 inches long is because of its hair cycle (and thereby shedding).

Im sorry but this is not a matter of opinion. Its facts
wink.gif

LOL
wink.gif

You know I'm positively sure that with proper care and nutrition (optimizing how fast your hair grows and how long the cycle lasts) you will easily be able to get the length you want
smile.gif

Oh by the way this is not scientific but there is a very popular long hair guru called George Michael who believes that longer hair sheds less.

He thinks that hair gets stronger with length. That means that length ingreases the growth cycle (and makes it kind of useless to talk about cycles; because they just expand).

So this Guru kind of thinks like you!

LOL yes I have bleached my armhair- and because of the hairs short growth cycle you have to repeat it after just 2-3 weeks.

Interesting no?!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
They would say that it is a weave!lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Bummer!
rofl.gif
I hadn't thought of that. We just all look so credible and saintly I'd never expect that to cross their minds.
laugh.gif

The hair cycle has to exist, doesn't it? Think about it: For the ladies that shave their legs, when you shave, the hair eventually grows back. Why? Because the hair on your legs continues to grow. But like someone said, because of the short hair cycle of leg hair, the old hair will shed and the new hair will take its place so that the hair on your legs won't become 25 inches long but will stop at a certain length. (Thank God for the short leg-hair cycle!!)

Also, I think the bleaching of armpit hair is a good test that the growth cycle does exist.

With this in mind, I think that not everyone can reach floor length hair because your growth cycle may not be long enough to achieve that. It might make you upset but genetics does play a major part in how long your hair can grow. However, I think that just about everyone can reach at least mid-back with proper hair care and good health.

-Ebony

There are vitamins and minerals along with certain dietary changes that can help. This in addition to gentle haircare will give you the maximum for your "genetic" hairtype. I just think it's a bunch of bunk, really given too much importance. Some haircare experts say that most women 90% can reach waist/tailbone lengths.
I mean they can't explain miracles, or why a mother can lift a car off her child they just have theories. So just grow that hair and see what you get, and forget about scientific data.

ima male though lol. i've heard if (if these cycles are true) that males have shorter cycles. anyway lucia do you think you can reach your tailbone length? I love women with mid-back or longer length hair i think shoulder length hair is cute but everybody has it just about its like average to me.

I also think long hair IS possible with proper care. Speaking of BIZZY, anyone know what products he uses on his gorgeous hair?, i love seeing men take care of thier hair like that, and the length is a MAJOR turn on lol!

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone believe they cant reach their hair goal because of say genetics? I talked to the hair lady from http://www.growafrohairlong.com she says that hair can grow almost any desired length and it doesnt go by genetics but rather how we take care of hair because if it didnt she said she her hair would stop at shoulder length like the rest of her family on both sides. but shes 4a/4b waist length currently. i believe thats true personally because women always have new growth after perms so it has to be growing but its about keeping length.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you're absolutely right! If we could keep all or almost all our new growth, we would be able to achieve any length desired. Problem is so many factors cause hair to become fragile, thus breakage. Therefore, solutions for preventing breakage and strengthening hair would guarantee achieving length. The amount of time to reach that goal would differ with everyone's personal growth rate though.

i agree 72792 btw darkchild i dont know what bizzy uses on his hair but it aint that hard because he mixed lol. His hair is longer and fuller than that now. The picture i saw you would think it was a picture of jesus

Maybe it is genetic, my youngest aunt currently has hair down to her tail bone, as in she can sit on it, she is relaxed. My mother has had waist length relaxed hair. Now she has shoulder blade length natural hair. My other aunt has never had hair longer than maybe her chin. I mean through out her life. I have pictures of her from elem and high school days and it is the same lenghth that it is now. My oldest aunt has bra strap length hair, relaxed. I personally believe that if we take care of it and treat it gently that everyones hair can eventually reach waist length it may take some of us a little longer but it can be done if one wants it bad enough

yeah i believe the chances of achieving waist length and longer is high because not every woman wants there hair that long anyways. The hair cycle is all wrong. First i see your hair grows from 2-7 years. then i see on another site hair grows for 8 years. then i see it grows for 10 years. The scientist are not even accourate with there information so how can they say how long hair grows really. Hair doesnt grow long any where else is because facial and body hair is all testosterone or something like that. our body doesnt have that much if we did we would have long thick body hair and no head on top because it testosterone effects scalp hair in a bad way and stimulates body hair growth. Besides them hairs dont grow long because they dont need to.

[ QUOTE ]
ima male though lol. i've heard if (if these cycles are true) that males have shorter cycles. anyway lucia do you think you can reach your tailbone length? I love women with mid-back or longer length hair i think shoulder length hair is cute but everybody has it just about its like average to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif
Woops, I missed that one, Nice to have a mans' opinion on the board.
I don't know if a mans hair cycle would be very different but I've seen alot of men with waist/tbne dreds or natural hair.
I think that with enough time, patience and hard work many things are possible so yes I beleive my hair will get to tailbone.
If I get to tailbone that will be the longest my hair has ever been and I have people in my family who have waist and tailbone type 2, 3 and 4's but when I didn't take proper care of my hair I could only wish for waist (hairtype meant nothing).

yeah, but my hair has been short all my life. So I am trying to see if I can reach a goal.

It is right that the headhair and bodyhair react different to hormones (di-hydro testosterone). But the point is that the haircycle has to do with shedding (and speed...). If you shed 100 hairs a day that is what you do nomatter what the reason is!

Shedding differs from person to person that is the reason that some say the cycle last 2 years and others that it last 10 years.

As an ex. If you had 100 hairs and lost 10 hairs in a year, in 10 years all your hair would be replaced. Your cycle would be 10 years.

So yes if you dont shed hair the sky....ehm the ground is the limit
wink.gif

So if you can eliminate shedding you can grow your hair forever. (Healthy living helps
wink.gif
)

i've never shedded that many hairs in my life most of my hair doesnt have the white bulb its just broken off

[ QUOTE ]
i've never shedded that many hairs in my life most of my hair doesnt have the white bulb its just broken off

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, then you have to make sure you keep your hair moisturized at all times. Your hair is very dry and the only way it's going to grow long is by keeping it moist so that the ends don't break off all the time.
smile.gif

so far moisturizing havent done any better than keeping it dry. all moisturizers do fo me is make it easier for me to comb but once i comb through a hand full of hair is in my comb.

Thanks, Nonie... I've seen that before but could not remember it all.

I think this answers the question.

"This hair cycle, <font color="red"> dictates </font> the ultimate hair length attainable by an individual, "

Back