does anyone believe....

Dejuan42

Does anyone believe they cant reach their hair goal because of say genetics? I talked to the hair lady from http://www.growafrohairlong.com she says that hair can grow almost any desired length and it doesnt go by genetics but rather how we take care of hair because if it didnt she said she her hair would stop at shoulder length like the rest of her family on both sides. but shes 4a/4b waist length currently. i believe thats true personally because women always have new growth after perms so it has to be growing but its about keeping length.

I do. I believe everyone has thier own stopping point or else tons of people would have waist/longer. Something to do with life cycles.

I knew a dude with dreads his dread got waist almost although he did not shave or cut for three years after they remained the same lenght. Another person only got to shoulder. Same procedure, same lenght of time.

I agree with Robin in a way. I think super long hair is genetic (waist length and beyond). Crystal Gayle, Wanakee, Alanis Morissette, etc. obviously have growth cycles that last longer than the average human.

But I think mid back length hair is possible for everyone. How long it takes to get there depends on your cycle and how you take care of your hair. Hair type might also play a part. I think type 4 hair takes longer because it's so fragile and suspectible to breakage if it isn't treated very gently.

Hi Dejuan42 and welcome ot the board
wave.gif

U will love it here!!

Okay, back to the topic, I think u can grow your hair to any length u want, but it all has to do with dedication, patience and good health hair practices,and in some luck!! Retaining length is as important as growing if not more, because everyone's hair grows.

By the way, I love the pics of Snoop. His hair looks almost like Anthony Kiedis(sp) of Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I like Snoop's looks better!! Hair has certainly made a difference in his case. He looks damn good!!!

i see alot of people who hair been the same length for a while but i always ask them do your hair break alot and they tell me yes but then again i see white boys with hair that stops at a certain length i dont know whether they cut it or it stopped. but if hair stops how do women always have new growth?

[ QUOTE ]
Hair Cycle: Growth periods are followed by follicular regression and consequential hair loss. No hair therefore grows continuously. This hair cycle, which dictates the ultimate hair length attainable by an individual, is explained under the following headings:-

Anagen: The period of follicle regeneration and active growth of scalp hairs is from 2-7 years.
Hairs in the anagen phase grow faster during the early years. Average growth rate is 1-2 cm per month.

Catagen: the preliminary stage of the retrogressive catagen phase during which changes can occasionally be seen above the skin surface with the naked eye: e.g. loss of pigment and the narrowing of the hairshaft accompanied by a narrowing and eventual loss of the medulla. During this short period of change (approximately 2 weeks) the follicle rests the dermal papilla stops production of new cells, the dentrites and melanocytes contract and melanin production ceases. The follicle and epithelial sheath contract and the hairshaft is ejected.

Telogen: the resting phase of the follicle lasts approximately four months. The follicle remains quiescent in its shortened state and awakens to regenerate with the onset of the new Anagen phase....

Rate of Growth
Normal Caucasian hair growth rate is 1-2 cm per month. Researchers have shown that this rate of growth may reduce beyond the length of approx. 27cm. Afro-Caribbean hair growth rate is approximately half that of Caucasian, and due to the fragility of their multi-helixal structure, rarely attain great length. Asian hair-shafts grow rapidly exceeding the average for Caucasians and may attain great length.

In the majority of humans, terminal hair is straight and is circular in cross section - such hair-shafts having emerged from host follicles with similar characteristics. If however, due to genetic factors or skin injury the follicle is:
<ul type="square">Of a spiral or zigzag structure; the hair-shaft will emerge in conformity and exhibit appropriate helices. This is demonstrated by many with the Afro-Caribbean type hair, and also occasionally as a result of pressure employed during multiple hair follicle transplantation surgery.[/list] <ul type="square">Naturally flattened, imperfect, oval or kidney shape; the hair-shaft will emerge exhibiting waves/curls of appropriately varying degree. Numerous factors incidental to natural healthy life can influence hair formation. Other aberrations may result from ill health, drug therapy and ageing etc.[/list]

[/ QUOTE ]
Taken from The Trichology Society website: http://www.hairscientists.org/article9.htm

But don't lose heart, Dejuan. Diane Witt's hair baffled scientists since it just kept on growing, so you never know; yours might be the next miracle.
wink.gif
Just continue to exercise the power of positive thinking.
smile.gif

I think that maximum hair length is determined by genetics also.
I think of it like this....not saying we are dogs but a doberman can't grow its hair as long as a poodle can, no matter how good you groom it....
I think it is sometimes hard to tell by your parents what your maximum length potential is because they may have bad hair care habits so they have never reached their max.
But I do agree that everyone can probably reach at least mid back with the proper TLC.

but still doesnt every woman who perms their hair have new growth? or do they come to a point where they have no new growth?

Exactly Dejaun. I think that genetics play a big part in how much growth you get a year but not overall length. That and your general health. Keeping the length this important which is why we moisturize so darn much.

Good point, Teenie. And that might explain why the lady mentioned at the start of this thread had hair longer than the rest of her family.

[ QUOTE ]
I think of it like this....not saying we are dogs but a doberman can't grow its hair as long as a poodle can, no matter how good you groom it....
I think it is sometimes hard to tell by your parents what your maximum length potential is because they may have bad hair care habits so they have never reached their max.
But I do agree that everyone can probably reach at least mid back with the proper TLC.

[/ QUOTE ]

I AGREE......

Hey
This site seems very interesting. I didn't finish looking at it. DO you think she reach her goal with her own insperence. I might use hair technics one of these days. She does have beautiful hair.
Do you notice that I saw someone who's photo been on the forum well the photo album. Her name is Denise.

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/camille.html
You think she use this technic with her own. Is it same me or anyone to try this.

I know there's another way but could this also works. Beacuse it seems like there's some products etc. that already mention on this forum.

OR
I could put it this way. DID most of use to does this to you hair for this goal you already reach.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree also.
smile.gif

Hey
This site seems very interesting. I didn't finish looking at it. DO you think she reach her goal with her own experience. I might use hair technics one of these days. She does have beautiful hair.
Do you notice that I saw someone who's photo been on the forum well the photo album. Her name is Denise.

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/camille.html
You think she use this technic with her own. Is it same me or anyone to try this.

I know there's another way but could this also works. Because it seems like there's some products etc. that already mention on this forum.

OR
I could put it this way. DID most of use to does this to you hair for this goal you already reach.

DO you beleive this site. I do but in 70 or 60 percent.

[ QUOTE ]
Normal Caucasian hair growth rate is 1-2 cm per month. Researchers have shown that this rate of growth may reduce beyond the length of approx. 27cm. Afro-Caribbean hair growth rate is approximately half that of Caucasian , and due to the fragility of their multi-helixal structure, rarely attain great length.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do these people who made the claims in bold have scientific proof that Afro-American hair grows slower than caucasians? I also read that A.A. hair grows slower than whites on the HairFormula 37 website.

-Ebony

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if they factored in shrinkage... My straight hair looks more than 2x longer than my kinky hair!

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably not because they really don't know much about our hair!

If you guys would e-mail the hair lady on the http://www.growafrohairlong.com site she would tell you that the hair cycle is all wrong. Personally i agree with her. I know she's probably mad at me because i kept being skeptical lol. She said it could be other reasons why a person's hair doesnt get long not genetics. Smoking, Birth Control, Unhealthy hair, Poor Diet, and Etc.

@ Dejuan:

I've often wondered about the whole "cycle" thing, too. You brought up a good point with the touch-ups. I had noticeable new growth every month, all year long for over 20 yrs.
confused.gif
If I took better care of ends my hair would probably be behind my knees!
laugh.gif

I have noticed there are times when my hair seems to grow a little faster, though. I'll have a little spurt of growth and then it slows down to it's usual snail's pace.
frown.gif

Maybe we should all do our own research. Record growth every so often and keep track of how much time passes. Then we can send them our findings as proof that they are a bit off. But how much do you wanna bet they'll say that those were not controlled experiments so cannot be taken to be accurate? &lt;sigh&gt;

Still we could always squash their other point that "due to the fragility of their multi-helixal structure, rarely attain great length" by sending them a picture of about 50 of us sporting manes stretching down to our bums.
smile.gif
So let's keep growing and give science something new to talk about. Mind over matter isn't something to snigger about.

Back