Naturals: do you detangle dry or wet?

wet with lots of conditioner using my denman. I'm usually too lazy to section but it does makes it easier when I do detangle in 4 sections. I lose the same amount of hair every week (because I keep the shed hair *ewww* lol)

I gave up the comb (except for parting sometimes) and brush about three months ago. I love detangling with my fingers cuz I can feel when i come across a tangle of hair and then gently loosen the strands from each other without any snapping. I finger comb very gently before my wash on dry hair mostly to get the shed hairs out, those are the real tangle culprits for me.

Also, I've been on a mission to find a hair style that creates the least amount of tangles. And so far I've found that putting my hair in about 15-30 twists keeps the tangles away. I'm all about sacrificing style for strands these days but I finally managed to put my twists in a bun with hardly any tension.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=477796

I detangle wet, loading up with conditioner and letting it sit before using my fingers to remove as many as I can see. WNG are my usual style and I co-wash every day.

I detangle on wet hair only. When it is very well conditioned and trimmed (no single strand knots) it's much easier. When I have problems because I have neglected my ends or for other reasons I go back to oil rinsing: I like rice bran oil because it's light, fast absorbing and cheap, or coconut because it's not too greasy, otherwise anything I have (olive, avocado...). I then shampoo twice and condition twice or DC to be sure I don0t have any oil left. It washes away better in conditioner than in shampoo, especially if left for a longer time, IMHO.

Otherwise I wet my hair, load it with oil, put conditioner over it, and keep with a cplastic ap for 1 hour before washing.

I usually detangle before I wash. I do it differently at different times, but the best results are if I section my hair in 10+ sections. Then put conditioner on each section and twist or braid it. Then after all the sections are twisted up, go back and undo each then detangle with a wide tooth comb and or a brush and twist or braid it back up. Then I get in the shower to wash.

My hair is so short now and I have not had any issues detangling. When I had my first set of pixies in I just took them down and twisted my hair. I wore it like that for two days, under my wig of course, then I finally washed. I didn't detangle before washing. I just did a DC, washed and conditioned then b/c I planned on putting the pixies back in, as I took a section of hair that I was gonna braid, I'd detangle first. I did that with ease, no problems. My hair was wet and I did moisturize all of my hair first and add coconut oil.

So basically I detangle on wet hair

So naturals a few questions:

Do you detangle on dry hair or wet hair?
:
I've done both at various stages of my HHJ. For me it depends on just how tangled my hair is, how long i've left it out, & what style i'm detangling. I detangle & plait into sections to wash.
Do you detangle before or after you wash? I do both When I detangle before a wash I use ALOT of oil, start with a big comb and work my way down to a fine toothed comb...yeah I said it!:lachen:I defintely detangle after a wash with my conditioner of the moment.

I detangle my hair before I wash it dry. However, I add massive amounts of conditioner to my hair before detangling so essentially it is wet but not with water. I use about 8 ounces of conditioner to detangle.

I use a wide tooth comb and braid my hair and then wash it in sections. I do not use shampoo on my hair, only on my scalp.

That's exactly what I do. I DC on dry hair, so I apply my DC to a section, detangle it, and then braid or twist it up.

WET. I refuse to do much of anything w/dry hair. I run water thru my hair, apply condi/detangle under the running water using my fingers

I detangle my hair before I wash it dry. However, I add massive amounts of conditioner to my hair before detangling so essentially it is wet but not with water. I use about 8 ounces of conditioner to detangle.

I use a wide tooth comb and braid my hair and then wash it in sections. I do not use shampoo on my hair, only on my scalp.

I pretty much do this also but sometimes I use oil like olive oil.

This is exactly what I do except I do use shampoo on my hair; just focus it on my scalp mainly. I use the classic (wide tooth) shower comb.

I usually detangle in the shower with conditioner in and under running water. However, I'm seeing other good methods to try later. I've noticed that my hair has been getting just a little bit difficult lately, so I'm open to trying a different method. :yep:

Thanks OP for the thread. Right on time for me. :yep:

I detangle on wet hair in the shower. I put conditioner in it, detangle with my fingers, then I go back with my paddle brush afterwards, and rinse.

sidenote: I blowdried my hair about a month ago and I have to say it has done wonders for detangling process since. It was much easier and quicker of a process. I blowdryed on low using medium heat (with heat protectant).

I finger detangle on dry hair (with oil and condish) then I comb through each section with a shower comb.

then I wash and detangle again while I moisturize/seal using the chicoro method - this detangling is usually minimal if any.

I detangle after i dry my hair. Slightly damnp with with qhemet detangling ghee my hair seems to be okay.

I usually spray with some detangler (so its damp) and detangle, them I wash and do any other detangling needed while soaked with conditioner. I find that if I dont detangle before I wash I get more hair shedding/breaking in the shower. But, Im a big shedder anyway...

it depends on the style... when i do braidouts, twistouts, curls, etc. i use a mousse mixed with conditioner. so there is still some tangling going on. for that i separate the chunks using mane and tail and then I go ahead and clarify. I clarify once a week. Then i DC, then when i get out I use Redken or mane and tail again with a wig brush on 2 inch sections

Do you detangle your hair wet or dry?

As my hair gets longer, detangling has become alot more challenging. For the last month and a half I've been detangling with a shower comb on wet hair(with conditioner) after deep conditioning. Detangling on wet hair is not working for me:nono:. My shed hair gets tangled on my ends and I'm finding more knots on my ends. I'm very gentle in that when I hit a snag (which happens often:perplexed) I stop and then finger detangle to remove knot and remove the shed hair. This takes too long. I've read that naturals should only detangle on wet hair but I find that doing this tends to cause massive tangling with my shed hair. I used to detangle on dry hair with oil and conditioner and has worked well for me since it helped get all the shed hair out before washing. However, I thought detangling on wet hair would make removing shed hair even easier (more slip). Evidently that was not the case for me.

So I'm going back to what works; detangling before washing. I'm curious to see what others are doing.

So naturals a few questions:

Do you detangle on dry hair or wet hair?

Do you detangle before or after you wash?

I finger detangle on dry hair. I detangle my hair with a comb when wet and with conditioner only.

OP: I think it would help to cut down on all the tangling if you cleansed/shampooed your hair in sections. I loosely braid my hair in 6-8 sections. Then I smooth out each section, clean my hair and scalp. Rinse. I apply conditioner to my whole head (while still in braids), then take each section down, smoothing it and detangling it. Once it's detangled, it's re-braided and I move onto the next.

I never had a problem with detangling my hair anymore. You should try it.

I put conditioner on dry hair and detangle it.
so it's not dry but it's not wet with water. it's moist.

i can't do it on dry hair, it feels like i am breaking my hair. (I am 4b) and as far as wet, it gets all types of tangled...well wait. sometimes I Do it wet but it's also coated with a lot of conditioner for slip. but not wet with just water.

Thank you all very much for your responses. This has helped me a great deal and hopefully my next detangling session will go a lot smoother. I agree with those of you that said that it depends on hair type and length. My hair is 4b and about 7.5-8 inches in length. I also should've mentioned that I usually detangle every two weeks as I usually have my hair styled in mini twists.

This is exactly what I used to do before switching to detangling on wet hair. Except I also used oil and didn't use as much conditioner. This worked well for me:yep:.

i don't recommend anyone does it unless you want to lose some hair, and top of that, that mess HURTSreally bad when dry

That's interesting. I find that my hair is a lot easier to deal with when it's dry. Wet is a whole other story for me:drunk:. Different strokes for different folks:)!

It depends on if u have fine or thick strands.

As i have fine hair combing whilst soaking wet is a no no. I finger comb on dry hair then follow gently with my Ouidad comb then put it in four plaits to wash and condition. I then add leave in's and only comb again when hair is 80% dry.

Soaking wet in the shower is snap city for me.

Edt - Oops, i'm not fully natural so maybe i should not have answered.

Your input is definitely welcomed and valued. I remember when you were natural. Your response will also help other transitioners. Anyhow, My strands are medium. Not fine but not thick either. I always fear that my hair is breaking when I comb on wet hair. I honestly don't think my hair can or will be able to handle that over time. My hair is defintely alot stronger in it's dry state and is another reason why I prefer to detangle on "dry" hair.

I guess I am kinda shocked that people detangle on dry hair. Do you use a comb? Or just fingers ? Trying to get a comb or denman through dry hair would leave mounds of hair in the brush. I section load up on conditioner and oil then under running water use my jibre and denman.

When I was detangling on dry hair , I would first detangle with my fingers and then follow up with my denman or my comb. My hair had conditioner and oil in it to help with the detangling process. I don't plan to use my denman any more. I feel like the comb works better for my hair.

I finger detangle on dry hair. I detangle my hair with a comb when wet and with conditioner only.

OP: I think it would help to cut down on all the tangling if you cleansed/shampooed your hair in sections. I loosely braid my hair in 6-8 sections. Then I smooth out each section, clean my hair and scalp. Rinse. I apply conditioner to my whole head (while still in braids), then take each section down, smoothing it and detangling it. Once it's detangled, it's re-braided and I move onto the next.

I never had a problem with detangling my hair anymore. You should try it.

You're absolutely right. I think it's time for me to wash in sections. I have been shampooing my hair loose and in the shower. I thought shampooing loose would help the shed hair move down and out of my hair. Obviously that didn't work and I suspect my hair type (very kinky and coily) prohibits that. I plan to section my hair off in large twists and then wash and deep condition in my twists. I believe this will help me with my tangling issues.

Thank you again ladies for your feedback and help:)!

Last edited:
I know that I'm late, but I detangle on damp hair.

I put my hair in six sections and apply the Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In to each section. Then I apply castor oil to each section. Next, I detangle with my fingers and, when I'm sure that I have removed all of the tangles, I comb my hair from ends to root with my wide-toothed comb & then with my smaller-toothed comb.

I also keep plenty of tissues on hand during the detangling process so that I can remove the shed hairs from my comb. I examine my comb carefully while I am detangling & I never put shed hair back into my hair because that is just asking for tangles & knots.

I usually detangle before I wash. I do it differently at different times, but the best results are if I section my hair in 10+ sections. Then put conditioner on each section and twist or braid it. Then after all the sections are twisted up, go back and undo each then detangle with a wide tooth comb and or a brush and twist or braid it back up. Then I get in the shower to wash.

I put conditioner on dry hair and detangle it.
so it's not dry but it's not wet with water. it's moist.

i can't do it on dry hair, it feels like i am breaking my hair. (I am 4b) and as far as wet, it gets all types of tangled...well wait. sometimes I Do it wet but it's also coated with a lot of conditioner for slip. but not wet with just water.

^ :)
Life has gotten much easier for me once I started detangling on DRY -stretched hair SOAKED w/ my conditioning concoctions! 4B hair tends to shrink like crazy when wet - making detangling a very difficult task - so detangling while my hair is already dry & stretched is MUCH easier as long as the conditioning mix provides slip!

So like was stated before the hair is NOT really dry at all, it's very well lubricated w/ conditioner just without the soaking wetness from rinsing/washing beforehand, therefore preventing massive shrinkage...

Even though I wash in braided sections, the braids still shrink and I have found detangling BEFORE washing truly life-changing ... when I used to detangle while wet after washing, removing one braid at a time and trying to get rid of the shed hair, etc, I would lose WAY more hair -even if my conditioner had crazy slip-and it was really frustrating having to deal w/ all that shrinkage on top of all the knots & tangles trapped in the shrinkage :nono: .. My strands are fine so they are more fragile when wet - giving me more of a reason to detangle "dry" w/ conditioner

I even tried to detangle under running water w/ my hair soaked in conditioner and even though the water pressure stretched my hair out a little, this method was a no-no for me b/c the water would just wash away all my good conditioner so the slip would not last long enough for me to successfully detangle my dense hair-even in sections!

I honestly think it depends on your hair texture b/c I have a very small patch of silky 3B at my nape (weird huh!) LOL - but anyway, this section actually seems to stretch when wet and does not tangle nearly as much - I have NO problem detangling it when wet or dry w/ conditioner b/c unlike my the other 95% 4B hair, it does not shrink up as much --so I can see why those w/ looser textures would prefer to detangle soaking wet, it seems like it would be better b/c the water tends to make those curls lay down :yep:

Back