Daily Washing Challenge Let's start!!!!

Re: Daily Washing Challenge Let\'s start!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
michiganlady1 said:
I want to join this challenge, but I will only be conditioner washing every other day. Does that still count? I think conditioner washes moisturize the hair, they do not dry my hair out at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Co washes do count. I do them all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I think your hair would be severely dry washing it everyday...we dont have caucasian hair
up.gif
our hair is more srier than most nationalities and does not collect dust dirts as quickly unless a lotta oil is in it. Every 1-2 weeks is best.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite the opposite actually. Your race has nothing to do with the amount of times you should wash your hair. On average I wash my hair every 2 days. The longer it goes without washing the worse and drier it gets. Water is a moisturiser for the hair. Just like you wash twice a day the key to combatting skin dryness is to moisturise, you apply the exact same concept for the hair, you moisturise after washing or rinsing. I would never recommend anyone of any race to wait 2 weeks to wash their hair. The scalp needs exfoliating and needs to be kept clean. If you apply oil to your scalp everyday and then wait 2 weeks (plus with the build up of sweat and pollution) it's doing no good for your hair growth or health. Would you apply oil/cream to your skin everyday, then wait 2 weeks before washing it off??

[ QUOTE ]
LondonDiva said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I think your hair would be severely dry washing it everyday...we dont have caucasian hair
up.gif
our hair is more srier than most nationalities and does not collect dust dirts as quickly unless a lotta oil is in it. Every 1-2 weeks is best.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's quite the opposite actually. Your race has nothing to do with the amount of times you should wash your hair. On average I wash my hair every 2 days. The longer it goes without washing the worse and drier it gets. Water is a moisturiser for the hair. Just like you wash twice a day the key to combatting skin dryness is to moisturise, you apply the exact same concept for the hair, you moisturise after washing or rinsing. I would never recommend anyone of any race to wait 2 weeks to wash their hair. The scalp needs exfoliating and needs to be kept clean. If you apply oil to your scalp everyday and then wait 2 weeks (plus with the build up of sweat and pollution) it's doing no good for your hair growth or health. Would you apply oil/cream to your skin everyday, then wait 2 weeks before washing it off??

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said LondonDiva!!! ITA
smile.gif

I'm in. I'm going to get a touch up then I'm going to cond or shampoo every 2 days. If I do it daily it will be with a conditioner.

My co-worker (who is asian - and I mention her race because of a thread we had about asians and their fast hair growth some weeks back) she actually washes her hair twice a day in the morning and before going to bed, I swear she had over an inch in 3 weeks, we worked it out from her last haircut. She likes to keep her hair short (about ear level). And this was in the cold winter months as well. So it could be a combo of her hair growing faster (better asian diet as well as the genetic contributing factors which were discussed) and the fact that she washes her hair so frequently.

BTW she washed her hair to flatten it in the morning from sleeping rough, as opposed to using styling products to get it to lay straight, don't know why she washes it in the evening too. I'll have to ask her tonight.

I am glad to say after a month of daily washings I have an additional inch of new growth. I have been surging, and faithfully taking my vitamins everyday. Let me hear fro you other challengers!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
I am glad to say after a month of daily washings I have an additional inch of new growth. I have been surging, and faithfully taking my vitamins everyday. Let me hear fro you other challengers!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

i wasn't in on the original challenge. but i have been doing this all week and plan on it for the next 5 weeks. it worked for me last year and my hair was never dry and looked it's healthiest. I use dilluted shampoo and distilled water. dirty hair is dry hair for me.

i love co-washing everyday. i dont measure growth but everybody feels like they HAVE to tell me that my hair is growing (like that is a bad thing).
grin.gif

I never saw this thread, But I started doing this anyway, I am not Dont Shampoo everyday or Conditioner, just weting my hair, and trying to leave it alone, I only do CW once a week, I think some ppl get confused with the word "Washing" I dont think everyone is using poo everyday on thier hair,
look.gif

How do u guys fix your hair daily after washing? How do u dry your hair afterwards each time???

I've been a little slack with this challenge, however I've been on it for the past 3 weeks or so conditioner washing daily. Sometimes I'd CO wash twice during the day (first thing before work and just before bed). I've limited shampoos to about once a week. I finger comb in the shower and haven't used the comb in a few weeks. I've noticed increased growth and less shedding.

I surge whilst damp also, and still consume 4 boiled eggs daily onto of the daily CO washes.

So far I like this method as it's helping me to stretch out the touch ups as when my hair is damp the hair seems to lie down better. I will continue with the Co washes 1-2 times a day as I feel I'm getting great results with it.

[ QUOTE ]
LondonDiva said:
My co-worker (who is asian - and I mention her race because of a thread we had about asians and their fast hair growth some weeks back) she actually washes her hair twice a day in the morning and before going to bed, I swear she had over an inch in 3 weeks, we worked it out from her last haircut. She likes to keep her hair short (about ear level). And this was in the cold winter months as well. So it could be a combo of her hair growing faster (better asian diet as well as the genetic contributing factors which were discussed) and the fact that she washes her hair so frequently.

BTW she washed her hair to flatten it in the morning from sleeping rough, as opposed to using styling products to get it to lay straight, don't know why she washes it in the evening too. I'll have to ask her tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

She said she washes it twice a day cause she's a hygiene freak and just can't go to bed without washing it. Well it seems to be working for her and me too.

[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:
severe dryness???
my black "african" hair loves wash days. i have no white in me whatsoever. my hair is the most moisturized the first 3-4 days into a wash after that it starts lookin a lil less shiny. i used to wash my hair every day in the summers. but because im transitoning i fear breakage, even though i have yet to expereince tangles and whatnot i dont want to take that chance by washin every day untill ive fully transitioned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kinda agree with you on a couple of points. By the 3rd/4th day, my hair starts to get dry and screams for a washing. With transitioning, daily washing/conditioning scares me but I sure wish I could find a way to do it. I have a friend who's transitioning and she washes everyday and her hair looks amazing. (It's very similar to your curls.) My relaxed hair is bone straight so it has no elasticity and the detangling is such and effort and puts so much stress on my poor hair. I can't wait till I'm done transitioning and can wash everyday!

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
I'd love to, but I'm terrible at air styling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't air dry. I squeeze all the excess water out, put my products in sweep back into a bun then put my satin scarf on top to smooth it all out and soak up a little more of the moisture, by the time I leave the house in the morning, my hair is more or less dry.

This challenge is right up my alley, I just started last week doing daily co-washes so I am definitely joining this.

naturallady said:
Will someone tell me he benefit of doing a daily wash, besides moisture?

I'll have to answer from a conditioner wash perspective:
*Less product build up (unless you use a cone laden conditioner)
*Increased moisture makes other products or oiling more effective
*Cleaner scalp (especially with baking soda rinse and/or acv rinse)
*If you "free" style your hair, the style will be fresh everyday

If you do this in the shower:
*Shower cap helps to steam conditioner into hair nicely
*Shower spray massages scalp (especially if you have a massage shower head)
*Speaking of massage, good time to do some scalp massage without special shower head
*Wait of water on (my) hair helped detangling significantly, thus less tangles overall
*increased growth and retention

Since I initially answered this thread, I had to decrease my washing during the cold weather. I do notice more difficutly managing my hair if I go more than two days without washing though. Also, I airdry. So, now that my hair is a little longer, it takes way to long to dry in cool weather. If I bun or braid, my hair is sometimes wet for days. Literally. I will definately change to daily washing when the warmer weather hits.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I wonder if I could shampoo everyday with my shampoo and conditioner in one. I would be more than happy to try. I already wash every other day. I'm still on the fence though. :confused:

Back