Daily moisturizer to use when wearing hair out

Ladylynn

Hi Ladies,

I am new to the forum. I have been lurking for some time, but I have now decided to join. I have a question for you ladies that wear your relaxed hair out daily. What type of daily moisturizer do you use on your hair? I use a no-lye relaxer so I really need to keep moisture in my hair. I wash twice a week and deep condition weekly with a moisturizing conditioner. I normally style my hair in a roller wrap and wrap it nightly. The problem is whenever I use a moisturizer on my hair (currently S-curl no drip which I love) my wrap falls. My hair length is to my shoulders, so I definitely want to keep my ends bumped. How do you ladies do it?

some of the ladies here use Elasta QP Recovery. I think you need to use it before combing out your wrap in the mornings because it may cause your curls to fall. It's a good product though. Try using it at night before rolling/wrapping. If I was going to wear my hair straight, I would stick with oils (coconut, jojoba, shea butter, wildgrowth oil, etc.). Oils shouldn't make your curls fall. Look at the ingredients and see if water or oils is the first or second on the list. If water is the first or second, your curls will fall.

Keep in mind that oils do not moisturize your hair but actually lock moisture in. If you are going to wear your hair down all the time, you'll have to rely on your conditioners to provide realy moisture.

Welcome to the forum!

keylargo said:
some of the ladies here use Elasta QP Recovery. I think you need to use it before combing out your wrap in the mornings because it may cause your curls to fall. It's a good product though. Try using it at night before rolling/wrapping. If I was going to wear my hair straight, I would stick with oils (coconut, jojoba, shea butter, wildgrowth oil, etc.). Oils shouldn't make your curls fall. Look at the ingredients and see if water or oils is the first or second on the list. If water is the first or second, your curls will fall.

Keep in mind that oils do not moisturize your hair but actually lock moisture in. If you are going to wear your hair down all the time, you'll have to rely on your conditioners to provide realy moisture.

Welcome to the forum!

I agree 100% I mix just a little Giovanni's Direct Leave in with a little coconut oil and apply it to my hair, then I roll the ends in large rollers, by the time I'm ready to leave the house, I have a nice little flip on the ends!

My hair stays very moisturized in between wash days because I wash every 3 days and even more so since I'm using Sylver's scarf method (satin scarves keep moisture in). I put just a little Humectress in my hands and go over my hair with it and it doesn't effect my hairstyle or curl pattern. Humectress can be used on wet or dry hair (per the instructions). Since I'm not combing my hair in between washes, this works very well. If necessary, I'll apply Aveda Anti-Humectant over my hair, again just a little, which adds some sheen and seals in moisture. I moisturize my ends with Constant Care for Ends.

I use protectiv root health. Its not heavy at all and you can use it after a roller set without destroyrng your curls.

Ladylynn said:
okay thanks, this helps. Does Elasta recovery contain mineral oil?
Yes its the next ingredient after all the extracts and water.

I use Recovery when I wear my hair down its VERY light and doesnt cause my curls to fall and its not oily or greasy (something I stay away from the keep my hair swingy!)

Alee said:
Yes its the next ingredient after all the extracts and water.

Okay, so that means that it doesn't have much mineral oil in it. Does any 4a/b use elasta's relaxer? I'm looking for a lye relaxer to use (something I can find online preferably and that's inexpensive) that will straighten my hair.

Babygurl said:
I use Recovery when I wear my hair down its VERY light and doesnt cause my curls to fall and its not oily or greasy (something I stay away from the keep my hair swingy!)
I've been using Elasta QP Recovery Oil Moisturizer since March 4. I'll have to give it a try one day when I wear my hair down. I love the way it works on my hair for my regular ole protective styles.

Ladylynn said:
Okay, so that means that it doesn't have much mineral oil in it. Does any 4a/b use elasta's relaxer? I'm looking for a lye relaxer to use (something I can find online preferably and that's inexpensive) that will straighten my hair.

actually, those ingredients after water are actually in the water. so mineral oil is the next ingredients after water

Babygurl said:
yup I use this too and the price is awesome as well.

Back