Curlies, Do you...?

Softresses

Hi Curlies:D !!!

I have been admiring a lot of your pictures and have decided to try wearing my hair curly every once and a while. My question for you is do you detangle, comb your hair when washing, or with product before styling, and how you keep from getting tangles when fluffing up your hair.

How do you keep your curls looking SOOOO BEAUTIFUL?

Softresses

I only comb and detangle with conditioner while washing. After that, it's all finger styling. If I don't go too many days (more than 3) without washing and detangling again, I don't have much of a problem with detangling.

Thank you for your reply, your hair in particular is one that I am hair stalking. I LOVE your curls. Do you wear your curls out all the time? If so do you get much breakage?

Softresses

I always comb while my hair is wet and full of conditioner. Once I get out of the shower, no comb or brush touches my hair. I have tried raking or brushing product through after detangling and while still in the shower with soaking wet hair. I haven't done that in months, but it worked fairly well, especially for "clumping". The trick for me, if I want to wear my hair out, is to avoid touching my hair as much as possible while it dries.

I need to cowash/detangle regularly to avoid a knotfest, though.

My hair is always loose whether completely out or in a puff. So far, I haven't noticed any breakage.

Thanks Cichelle, I only CO wash too. I have been wearing my hair curly for the last 4 days, I have never done that before, and I am afraid that it will be hard to detangle. I am about to wash now. I too usually detangle saturated with conditioner so hopefully it will not be hard (I am EXTREMELY tenderheaded).

I needed to hear it from the tried and true curlies!

Thanks again!

So1913, That is great to hear, Your puffs are awesome! Your hair looks so moisturized. I was just, ahem, lurking around in your products album. What do you attribute your moisture too?

Softresses

Last edited:
Softresses said:
So1913, That is great to hear, Your puffs are awesome! Your hair looks so moisturized. I was just, ahem, lurking around in your products album. What do you attribute your moisture too?

Softresses

Hmmm, I'd probably attribute moisture to my frequent CW's, I don't really use much product anymore other than leaving in some conditioner, adding a dollop of BBD Stretch, and a finger sized scoop of a pomade during styling. Laziness has set in and allowed me to make my maintanance routine REAL simple, lol.

Simple must be best, because it obviously works!

Okay ladies, armed with confidence, I am off to wash and detangle.

Much love Curlie Girls :D

Softresses said:
Simple must be best, because it obviously works!

Okay ladies, armed with confidence, I am off to wash and detangle.

Much love Curlie Girls :D

Softresses I love your hair with natural wave/curl pattern. In fact it looks alot like mine. My hair is texturized with the wash and wear relaxer (i have switched to SE Lye) but it is still wavy. I think the henna has released alot of my curl but I still like the way it looks. I only wash my hair once a week and i CW once a week. I really try to comb it only after wash day. When i CW I try to finger comb or I use a very big tooth comb to get rid of tangles. I don't wear my hair down or out though, I wear it 99% in a bun. I don't really have any problems with tangles, but I have newgrowth and i had a bad case of buildup which I havent had in a long time that made it a little bit more challenging to detangle my hair. I always try to use some detangling light conditioner to make it easier. I love pantene conditioning spray and also mane n tail detangler.

Hi Fancy!!! Thanks for the complement. I do wish all of my hair was natural. The top requires texturizing because it is tighter than the rest.
The texturizer makes it all appear the same. The funny thing is that even when I used to try to relax it straight it would not get straight! Strange.

Does the henna make your hair take less product? I have noticed that I only need a little of anything compared to before when I needed a lot more of any product I tried to use.

I hear you on the henna loosening up your curls. A lot of the ladies on the LHC said that it loosened their curls as well. A few said that it straightened theirs! I am not sure if it has done anything like that with mine though because I texturize.

BTW- my fear today was unfounded, I thought that curly, scrunched hair would automatically tangle in the shower. It was almost tangle free.

I am definately going to start wearing my curls now instead of always trying to fight them.

I shall be stalk-I mean looking at you lovely curly inspirations as a guide!

Softresses

ETA; Fancypants is the Mane N Tail detangler a cream? do you leave it in or must it be rinsed. I like Mane N Tail conditioner.

Last edited:
Softresses said:
BTW- my fear today was unfounded, I thought that curly, scrunched hair would automatically tangle in the shower. It was almost tangle free.

I am definately going to start wearing my curls now instead of always trying to fight them.

Softresses

Yep, as long as you don't go TOO long with out rinsing/detangling, you shouldn't have a problem ;)

Thanks for the advice so1913, do you think it is going to be necessary to clarify? Will this counter-effect my conditioner washes?

I only detangle my hair with conditioner in it also. Sometimes if I wash my hair in the sink I will detangle w/ product before styling. I don't like to do it this way anymore because it's too much manipulation. It's much easier on my hair to rinse it in the shower and detangle in there with the help of the water from the shower head detangling is a breeze.

Softresses said:
Thanks for the advice so1913, do you think it is going to be necessary to clarify? Will this counter-effect my conditioner washes?

I clarify once in a blue moon, honestly. Maybe I should do it more often, but I really just do it if I feel like it, lol. Haven't done it in a while :ohwell:. You should just "feel out" your hair and determine when you feel it's necessary ;)

I comb my hair when it is wet after the condition and thats it until the next washing. I twist it then I wear the twists for a few days...take them out and just shake and go...this is only if I dont blow it out..which has not been in awhile.
the less u touch it the better the curls.

Wow, u ladies have the most beautiful hair!:eek: I want my hair to be just like yours when it grows up!:lol:

Pokahantas, I agree with you about washing in the shower, once I started to grow my hair out it would get too tangled trying to wash it in the sink.

SO1913, I think I will completely skip clarifying until my asks for it. My hair seems to respond better to CO washing only. It feels so much smoother.

MsLatisha, I feel you on the less you touch it factor, I have been "bunching," mine up and putting on a loose snood before bed and my curls are so bouncy the next day. I am very glad not to have to do a lot of stuff to it when I have it loose now. I used to blowdry it and would flat iron (there are pics of it in my album link) it in order to wear it down. It would take forever! Now I just use the Beyond the Zone Noodlehead (thanks Pokahantas!) and a little shot of Stay Sof Fro and I am good for at learst three days!

DDTexlaxed, your waves are of the HIZZOOOK!!! I am about to go Stalking around in your album! OPEN IT UP GIRL:lol: :lol: :lol:

i only comb/detangle when my hair is very wet and has conditioner in it. i use a watery gel and a medium toothed seemless comb. i apply conditioner, then smooth on the gel, then gently comb them thru while still in the shower. i like clumpy curls so i comb and then smooth over the section with my hand (as if making a ponytail) to encourage clumping (so i have less individual strands of curls.) it works very well. but i will only comb and detangle my hair when its wet and conditioned.

other than that, i'll gently finger comb/finger pick thru it very occasionally.

Thanks Wildcurlz, that is a new thing for me to try, I clump/bunch mine before I put on my snood for bed. You say it makes the curls thicker?

Softresses

BTW I love your curls!

Softresses

Though I dont wear my hair out much...I only comb when wet w/ conditioner or moisturizer on it and its back in a protective style. I find that Kid's Organics works very well for those tangles and knots. On a good week I rinse 2-3x week. Doing this so frequently helps with easy comb-outs.

Oh and Silkytresses your hair is beautiful. I wish I had the guts to texlax-afraid of losing my curls.:perplexed

Curlyj, YOUR HAIR IS ON FFFFIIIIIRRRRREEEE!!!!! Girl it is HOT! I love it. Your curls are so beautiful. I wish I had big springy curls like yours. WoW!

Thanks for the complement, but If I had your hair I would not take even one step towards a Texlaxer!

I am going to try the Kid's Organics to detangle. I'm making a list of products from this thread to get (ahem, when the funds are available:lol: ).

Softresses

curlyj said:
Though I dont wear my hair out much...I only comb when wet w/ conditioner or moisturizer on it and its back in a protective style. I find that Kid's Organics works very well for those tangles and knots. On a good week I rinse 2-3x week. Doing this so frequently helps with easy comb-outs.

Oh and Silkytresses your hair is beautiful. I wish I had the guts to texlax-afraid of losing my curls.:perplexed

Yes girl, that hair and color is off the chain and if I had curls like that?...WHEW!!!

How do you work the mango butter in your routine and whats the key product you use to insure that your hair has a shine and looks moisturized once it actually dries? (you know; to make sure it's not all dry looking, etc.)

Softresses said:
Pokahantas, I agree with you about washing in the shower, once I started to grow my hair out it would get too tangled trying to wash it in the sink.

SO1913, I think I will completely skip clarifying until my asks for it. My hair seems to respond better to CO washing only. It feels so much smoother.

MsLatisha, I feel you on the less you touch it factor, I have been "bunching," mine up and putting on a loose snood before bed and my curls are so bouncy the next day. I am very glad not to have to do a lot of stuff to it when I have it loose now. I used to blowdry it and would flat iron (there are pics of it in my album link) it in order to wear it down. It would take forever! Now I just use the Beyond the Zone Noodlehead (thanks Pokahantas!) and a little shot of Stay Sof Fro and I am good for at learst three days!

DDTexlaxed, your waves are of the HIZZOOOK!!! I am about to go Stalking around in your album! OPEN IT UP GIRL:lol: :lol: :lol:

I do this same thing before bed and it works so well!! I don't have a snood though. I just bunch mine back with a few duckbill clips and cover with a big satin scarf. In the morning just take it out and shake, shake, shake those curls. Your welcome for the BTZ, I'm so glad it worked well for you. I'm still in love with the stuff.

Hi Pokahantas! This method really is great. Have you seen the satin snoods they sell on ebay? They come in all different colors, and look like a fashion style. Slap on a pair of sunglasses and you are HOLLYWOOD BABY!

Softresses said:
Hi Pokahantas! This method really is great. Have you seen the satin snoods they sell on ebay? They come in all different colors, and look like a fashion style. Slap on a pair of sunglasses and you are HOLLYWOOD BABY!
Hey girl. Ya know, I didn't even know what a snood was until somebody bumped up a thread about using them as a protective style not long ago. I will definitely be looking into them though. I think there's a store in my town that sells them.

Check out these, they even come with a braded silk cord to tie them like a pony with if you want. Click the small pic on the left it will take you to the ebay seller, sorry for the size.

BronzeEarthTonesSnood.jpg
BlackGoldCottonBlendSnood4.jpg
BronzeEarthTonesSnood6.jpg
BlackGoldCottonBlendSnood.jpg

Last edited:
Back