Cowashing, ponytails and length retention...

LunadeMiel

Has anyone here been able to wear a poytail everyday and still be able to retain length (no breakage from the ponytail holder)?

Now that I can do a ponytail I plan on wearing one (or a bun everyday). I still plan on cowashing daily too. Do you ladies think this is a bad idea? Will the ponytail holder cause breakage (I have the ones with no metal)? TIA

OT: You can make a ponytail!? Congrats girl! I can't wait until my pony tail can consist of more than the back half of my head.

I use a pony tail holder almost every day. I co-wash every day also. I also use the ones without the metal in it. As long as you protect your ends you should be fine.

I haven't really had any problems with ponytails/buns. I use the ouchless/metal-less ponytail holders and I make sure I switch the position often.

What everybody else said. I went from barely past SL to BSL using the ouchless ponytail holder and at times those black scrunchies soaked in olive oil. I just try to move the position of the ponytail/bun around so that any stress won't be in the same area day after day.

Thats what im planning to do until i reach APL. so far so good but my ends keep tangling when i do a loose bun:sad:

My cousin went from Neck to BSl by wearing ponytails.

I seen her at a reunion after a couple of years and I was amazed,because she was still wearing that same ole ponytail that we used to make fun of.
She was not trying to grow her hair,but it just happened.She also told me that she puts suave conditioner in her hair as a gel to hold it down.

I haven't really had any problems with ponytails/buns. I use the ouchless/metal-less ponytail holders and I make sure I switch the position often.

Same here, I switch the position every few days (high, low, middle) and I make sure to either braid at night or put on a silk cap. Ponytails have helped retain length and protect my hair from split ends. Plus I'm out the door in minutes. Oh and don't leave it on too tight or you can cause breakage in the temples area. HTH!

Last edited:
I been wearing ponytails for the last 13 months, since I was ear level. The key is to make sure the ponytails is not to tight and moisturize the ends and keep them covered. Matter of fact I just washed my hair last night(my hair is so happy about this) and my ends are thick and even, not breaking off, when before it would be skinny and one or two long strands. You will be okay. I also use the ouchless holders. I even went as far as putting moisturizer cream on my pony tail holder. Just to make sure.

Back