Combing/Detangling Hair with NO PRODUCTS

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I just did a conditioner wash and didn't apply my Motions Nourish leave-in conditioner after I got out of the shower. This leave-in has keratin (a form of protein I think) in it. I combed my hair and noticed it was much easier to comb with just plain water.

I put my hair in 6 bantu-knots and used my new found NTM Silk Touch leave-in cream for each section of hair that I put into a bantu knot. My hair doesn't feel hard or dry at all. I noticed Saturday when I washed my hair and used Motions Nourish leave-in, my hair started feeling hard after I applied it and my hair dried hard afterwards.

Has anyone found that just having plain water in their hair does the trick to detangle/comb their hair when it's wet?

Porsche19

It's not hard to comb through my hair, but it gets easier wehn I apply a product. I used to use motions and stopped because the keratin everyday on the length of my hair is no good.

Poohbear

Porsche19 said:
It's not hard to comb through my hair, but it gets easier wehn I apply a product. I used to use motions and stopped because the keratin everyday on the length of my hair is no good.
you used to use Motions leave-in everyday?

since im transitioning, im getting more natural hair and I find water does the trick better than this Motions leave-in for detangling. I think the keratin is too heavy for my natural hair texture. It worked fine when I was totally relaxed but now it's starting to not work as well.

hopeful

Poohbear, I agree with you. There's nothing like just plain old water for natural hair. I like products for styling, etc. But for detangling water does the trick. That's why transitioning can be so hard--our natural hair sometimes craves what the relaxed hair doesn't. And while your relaxed hair may still "need" protein, your natural hair is probably like, "Girl please, I got all the protein I need naturally." :lol:

Cinnabuns

For some reason Poohbear this does not work for me, just using the plain water I mean. However come to think of it I never really took my time with my hair before so I might try it without leave-in on my next wash day. This is a great tip, Thanks Poohbear

Poohbear

hopeful said:
Poohbear, I agree with you. There's nothing like just plain old water for natural hair. I like products for styling, etc. But for detangling water does the trick. That's why transitioning can be so hard--our natural hair sometimes craves what the relaxed hair doesn't. And while your relaxed hair may still "need" protein, your natural hair is probably like, "Girl please, I got all the protein I need naturally." :lol:

yeah, maybe next time, i can just hold my hair like its in a ponytail, and just spray the leave-in on the relaxed part of my hair and just spray water on my natural hair. ;)

Poohbear

Cinnabuns said:
For some reason Poohbear this does not work for me, just using the plain water I mean. However come to think of it I never really took my time with my hair before so I might try it without leave-in on my next wash day. This is a great tip, Thanks Poohbear
well, before the long hair care forum, i never used a leave-in or detangler and water did the trick back then. i started using leave-in because i heard it helped in the detangling process and helped strengthen your hair but i dont think i really needed one to begin with anyway. (I have fine textured hair). i guess you would have to try it and see if it works for you or not. good luck! :)

Kha

A lot of products do make it more difficult to comb or detangle my hair. That's why when I do a conditioner wash, I make sure I completely detangle and comb my hair while the conditioner is still applied. Using a conditioner with lots of slip is very important to me for this very reason. After I rinse the conditioner out, I comb my hair into whatever direction or style I'm wearing for that day and then apply my products in sections.

lavendarlover

I used to get in such a tiff about detangling my hair. It got to the point where I went and started buying all these different leave-ins. I bought infusium, Just for me...etc. I finally realized that once I rinse my conditioner out, THAT is the best time for me to detangle. Just the fact that my hair is DAMP makes it easy to detangle. A lot of products make my hair mat together. I tried using Pantene's oil creme, and it would detangle, but once my hair dried it felt oily and kind of stiff. I make a homemade glycerin spray, and that works wonders as well.

caligirl

This is going to sound weird, but it is actually easier for me to detangle if I let my hair dry first and then detangle it. After its dry, I grab small sections, spray it a little with water, rub some kenra conditioner on the section, then comb thru with the k cutter. My hair is 4a and I'm 11 months into transition.