Caruso Curlers

Chaya

Ive been using my Caruso curlers alot lately with all this increased humidity. My hair doesnt stay straight and I thought it would look better with some curls so I broke out my old caruso. Ive gotten so many complements from the white folks at work it is so FUNNY!

My question is how often can I safely use my rollers? Id like use them everyday if possible! What can I do to keep my ends from frizzing with these rollers?

Thanks yall!

My mother used to use them everyday with no problems (shes 3b/c). Steam is actually good for your hair, so you can imagine giving your hair a steam treatment everyday would be really good - and Caruso curls really hold up well. The problem though is the ends - I'd recommend being extra careful when wrapping/smoothing around the roller and not pulling the rollers so tight - I used to hate those super tight curls you'd get with the jumbo rollers because the sponge would shink... Maybe a little light serum on the ends would help too.

One of the ladies here suggested using end papers with the Caruso rollers.

I use these all the time, mainly for my bangs. Your ends won't frizz if the timing for each roller on the steamer is correct, and the excess moisture is shaken out. Are you natural Chaya? There are different instructions with the Caruso system for relaxed and natural black hair.

I use Caruso rollers weekly. I think if your gettin frizzy ends you can try to shake the roller first, sometimes excess water comes out. Also I use a creme moisturizer right before I roll and it comes out nice!

No, Im not natural. I am relaxed, more like texturized because my hair has some natural curl pattern and is never completely straight.

That is a good idea to shake the roller! I never thought of that! I usually leave the roller on the steamer about 10seconds. I get really good results except my hair is a little frizzy. Thanks guys!

It works very well on relaxed heads. And there's no fear of doing any harm to your hair since it's all moisture.
smile.gif

Recently I've been using curling wax ( ex. ampro curl wax) on the ends. Believe it or not, my ends feel and look a lot healthier. This was a tip that I read in Carolyn Grays book
smile.gif

What's curling wax? How exactly do you apply it Curlybun? Maybe I need to dig out my book, I don't remember that.

the curling wax that I'm talking about is like the product that you would use to protect the hair before flat ironing it. I'm using kera care curling wax because I'm trying to use it up.. its not really one of my faves to use as a heat protectant but it seems to give me good results when I use it with the caruso curlers. hth

Thanks Curlybun. I haven't flat ironed yet so that's probably why I haven't heard about it. So is it protecting your ends while using the steam curlers? Do you think these curlers cause any damage? (still looking for my book)

Hey there...I'm not too sure if the curlers are damaging, but what I do notice is that my ends feel a little dry after I use them, but now that I'm using curling wax, my ends feel and look much better.

I think ten seconds is a lil too long. Probably why you're getting the frizzy ends. I usually go for around 7 seconds and my ends are ok.

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
I think ten seconds is a lil too long. Probably why you're getting the frizzy ends. I usually go for around 7 seconds and my ends are ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
whats your roller routine?

[ QUOTE ]
MoezThunder said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:

[/ QUOTE ]
whats your roller routine?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I want curls or just added body to my hair, I'll just put in about 6 big rollers all over and then leave them until I'm finished getting ready. Once I curled, left them in for about 15 minutes and then replaced each one with a solar roller. I kept those in overnight. Those were the best curls I've ever had using caruso. There's a pic in my album that has the results. It's the Thanksgiving one.

I have the Caruso Curlers which they do give me a curl but they take so long to dry what AM I DOING WRONG?

How long does it take your hair to dry in the rollers?

- Faye

From what Ive gathered fromt he advice on this board as well as my own personal experience, you should only put the roller on the base until for only 6-8 seconds. I roll my hair and let it stay on for 15-20 minutes. I actually dont finger comb,comb, brush the curls. I actually let them sit for a little while and just toss my head over and shake 'em out. Ive had great results with this!

I have used these for years, and just recently switched over to the Vidal Sassoon ionic steam rollers. If you are getting frizz, you probably over-filled the water container and the rollers are getting wet, not steamed. Also, end papers will help if you have that issue. The longer they are left in the hair, the tighter the curl I have found. I used to leave them in for my entire hour commute to work and comb my hair just before I got out of the car.

Back