BSL & longer? Post your reggie & tips here!

What special tips, advice or tricks have you learned?
No direct heat, air-drying is the best for length retention. Sleep with 100% silk scarves on satin pillowcase, cotton will break off your ends while you sleep!

I do this religiously so I'm on my way to BSL soon!

Great thread OP! :grin:

I have a mixture in my handy spray bottle that I grab and use. Right now mine contains a third water, one third Infusium 23 leave-in, and braid spray.

Funny thing, I am getting my hair braided soon and I had the idea to mix Braid spray and Infusium 23. I think I will try this based off your experience with it :yep:

Current length:long layered mbl 11 mos post

Hair type:3c

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: transitioning from affirm relaxed
How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? not really sure how to answer this.Short and sweet answer: I came to LHCF with healthy hair. The keracare products I used stopped working the same for me. I was searching for new products.

What is your reggie?: my regimen is subject to change as a relaxed head I rollerset weekly.

this winter my regimen is:
every 2 weeks
oil(ayurvedic or non),detangle/plait
poo,dc in plaits
rollerset,flatiron[ng] only
reconstructor:
1xmonth I like affirm 5 in 1 aphogee 2 min, keracare super, joico dpr
light protein as needed in between
ceramide tx: 1xmonth

trim : as needed approx every 4 mos
favorite products right now:kenra mc+ fenugreek/hibiscus tea,baba de caracol dc, amenta elixir leave in, salerm 21 B5 leave in, sabino,kerastase oleo relax serum, bhringraj/hibiscus oil & oils in general-loves oil
What special tips, advice or tricks have you learned?[/QUOTE]
My rule as well has been not to mix heat and chemicals

using diluted poo with color bottle applied to scalp only

seamless combs and ceramide treatments keep my ends healthy

I also protect my ends as much as possible and don't let my hair dry out

I trim regularly, so I don't give my ends a chance to get jacked.

I agree with being careful from taking advice from others: so many factors to consider including length, strand size,individual hairs' likes/dislikes, etc. I know for me, how I have to handle my hair changes with length

I am honest with myself about what I know my hair will/wont tolerate. The fastest way for me to lose hair is double processing.

My hair is happy as long as it has proper moisture. For me, it comes from regular dc treatments with dcs that really work for me, that way I don't need major moisture in between washes.

There are no tricks or secrets, except to know your individual hair and stay true to what really works for you. I spent a great deal of my life trying to mimic the regimens of friends/family with bomb hair, but couldn't get the same results, somehow. Their coarse hair had different requirements than my fine/ dense but appears to be thick hair

I am patient and gentle with my hair
Long hair comes from consistency in healthy practices, unless you are one of those people who can do whatever and retain length. I am honest with myself that I am not one of those people and act accordingly.

Tranzforlast, thank you very much for posting. I agree with you that being consistent is critical. So many times I see fads on LHCF come and go, people are swearing they are getting an inch per month :blah: but yet they are on to the next fad two months later. Staying with what you know works for you is essential :yep:

Funny thing, I am getting my hair braided soon and I had the idea to mix Braid spray and Infusium 23. I think I will try this based off your experience with it :yep:

Try adding some aloe vera gel (it's a juice consistency) to the mix as well, it really helps! I also squirt in a bit of tea tree oil. Just a dab will do ya! It keeps any potential Funky Braids Syndrome issues at bay :up:

I have a mixture in my handy spray bottle that I grab and use. Right now mine contains a third water, one third Infusium 23 leave-in, and braid spray. Now that I have gotten my goody box from Puritans, I'll be adding aloe vera juice into the mixture, probably replacing half the water with aloe juice.

What does the aloe vera juice do?

Current length: MBL with some ends touching WL/seeking full WL

Hair type: Relaxed

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? 4 years total/1.5 with LHCF

What is your reggie?:
  • Weekly wash/DC/Rollerset
  • Minimal direct heat (Only flat-ironed twice in 2009)
  • Moisturize/seal ends daily or as needed
  • Trim/dust as needed (usually every 2-3 months)
  • Protect hair at night w/satin scarf and bonnet
  • Daily vitamins - 1 Geritol Multivitamin, 1 Biotin and 1 Super B-Complex
  • Always keep your hair moisturized, particularly the ends
  • Low manipulation helps
  • Protective styling can help you get past a growth plateau
  • Documenting your progress with photos is essential to staying motivated and realistic, especially when you feel your hair isn't progressing
  • Wash your hair in sections to prevent tangles

Last edited:
Current length: MBL

Hair type: 4A

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: texlaxed

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? been on LHCF for a while, but got serious about a year ago.

What is your reggie?: cowash 1-2 X weekly, ponytail rollerset ( followed with saran/silk wrap), cross-wrap nightly if wearing straight, otherwise just moisturize, bun and wrap with satin scarf. During the winter, I usually wear a single braid, or two. I have a Sedu, but do not use heat often. My staples are: coconut oil, HE LTR, Amla oil, EQP mango butter, Suave conditioners, or Redken All Soft or butter treat.

What special tips, advice or tricks have you learned? I have learned so much from this board, and owe my length ( retention) to the fabulous ladies of LHCF. Thank you Chicoro, Sylver2, FlowerHair, DLewis, Kami,Poka, Traycee, Toy, and so many others with gorgeous locks. Lady Paniolo your hair is gorgeous also!

I especially love the ponytail rollerset, and with products, I have learned less is more. Deep Conditiong has made a difference in stretching and allowing me to style my texlaxed hair easier. I also love prepooing with oil.

Last edited:
This thread is fantastic, I'm a total newbie to 'LHCF' so this advice is pure gold. Thanks for contributing ladies. *subscribing*

What does the aloe vera juice do?

For me, the aloe seems to add strength. I believe it is a protein, yet my hair feels so moisturized after using it. It loosens curls as well.

I had the least breakage when I was using aloe daily. This year I'm getting back to using it on a daily basis again. :yep:

Current length: Recently trimmed to bottom of BSL from MBL.

Hair type: 4a/b

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: relaxed

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? I relaxed after being natural for 8 years, shortly after I found LHCF. I started my relaxed journey with BSL hair that I trimmed back to APL due to single strand knots (from my natural days).

What is your reggie?: I wash once a week with Cream of Nature, ORS creamy aloe shampoo, or Keracare moisturizing shampoo. I alternate deep conditioners weekly using ORS paks, Silk Elements moisturizing conditioner, or Keracara Humecto. I also like to use ORS cholesterol conditioner. I deep condition for 30 minutes with heat. This has really improved my hair. I've only had my hooded dryer for 2 months. Before I would deep conditon w/out heat for 1 hour minimum.

To style my hair I do flexirod sets using the grey rods, braidouts, or a reg. rollerset. I'm still perfecting the rollerset. Its not wearable outside yet. I usually pin it up or bun.

I relax every 12 weeks using ORS regular relaxer. I add a tablespoon of olive oil each time. I saturate my previously relaxed hair with cheap conditoner and after it dries I layer on vaseline. This really helps protect my hair from relaxer runoff.

What special tips, advice or tricks have you learned? I'm still learning and trying to figure out my hair. Most importantly I know for sure my hair thrives with MINIMAL manipulation. I'll leave my hair in a bun for days at a time, only taking it down to moisturize.

Due to some breakage from a satin bonnet (it had elastic edges), I've cut some bangs. I had mild breakage in the front that was made worse by the bonnet. Now I alternate bunning with putting my hair up in a huge octopus clip, twisting into a roll and securing it with hair sticks, or two loose french braids. To jazz up my boring bun/updos I do a "hump" in the front, which also minimizes the breakage I've been experiencing.

Most importantly BE PATIENT with your hair. I've learned to not wash my hair if I have to be somewhere important that same day. Give your hair a chance to grow. Just take care of it and let it do its thing. No need to stress over hair goals or rush them. Stay off of bandwagons!!

Here's a rough template:

Current length:WL

Hair type: 3C4A

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: relaxed/transitioning

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? 4 yrs this year

What is your reggie?: cowash once a week, Shampoo and condition once a week, Deep condition once a week. Protein treatmeant once a month. I prepoo with vatika oil to detangle before washing now that I have alot of newgrowth. Rollerset with a leave-in or flatiron when I dont have time. I prefer how my hair feels and look when I rollerset. Moisturize and seal ends with oil every other day. Wear bonnet at night...most times :look:. Thats all.

what works for me:
Less manipulation. I only comb my hair with a comb on wash day and for a rolerset. Fingers every other time.
less direct heat. My relaxed hair is in better condition when not using direct heat.
protecting ends. Bunning helps and making sure I baby my ends.
handling hair in sections(4) when detangling.
I will never double process again. I believe in sticking with one or the other or neither.

I think thats it....

Current length: Just past BSL

Hair type: 4b

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: Texlaxed transitioning to Natural:drunk:

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? 1 year and 7 months now. Started at just past SL

What is your reggie?: Moisturize and seal twice daily. Protective style: bunning! DC (conditioner on dry hair) then co-wash weekly, followed by tea rinse. Clarify with baking soda+conditioner: 1ce a month. Take Mutlivits, MSM, Biotin, garlic oil and Spirulina daily. Wash hair in (6-8) braided sections. Wide toothed comb detangle after on damp hair (in sections). Airdry in large twists (scarf method). Dust ends as needed. NO SHAMPOO FOR ME!:nono: I always wear a satin scarf + bonnet to bed (keep it on my head).
PRODUCTS:
- Leave-ins Organics Leave-in Hair Mayo- love this!
-
Sealing/pre-poo oils: Coconut oil, Hot Six Oil, Natural 7 oil, Castor oil
- I use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration for co-washing.

- Treat your ends gently and they'll thank you by showing off your growth. :rolleyes:
- Limit combing and manipulation of your hair (I detangle once a week).
- Co-washing really is lovely and helps your hair stay moisturised.
- Protein is important (most of my deep conditioners are either light or moderate protein conditioners! - ORS Replenishing, Vitale Hair Mayo and Motion CPR!)
- Be patient, your hair is growing.
- Motivate yourself with pics of your hair inspirations and join challenges (not bandwagons!:blush:) to keep you consistent!

Last edited:
Current length: MBL

Hair type: 4b

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: Texlaxed

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? 3-1/2 years

What is your reggie?: Moisturize ends daily, co-wash weekly, shampoo as needed to remove buildup, touchup 4 times a year and DC with touchup, comb hair only when damp and freshly conditioned, never comb dry hair...fingercomb only, staple styles are bunning and spiral sets, protect hair every night with silk scarf and satin bonnet, trim as needed, never use direct heat.

What special tips, advice or tricks have you learned? I recommend consistency and patience...it takes time to grow hair and trying so-called shortcuts just might lead to a setback. Avoid bandwagons and fads; find what works for your hair and stick with it. Take pictures at about 3 month intervals or so (enough time to see a difference) to remain encouraged and motivated. HHG!!

Hmm... in the Hip Length challenge (posters are WL or MBL) not one poster mentioned MN. In my years on LHCF, I have noticed that the ladies with the longest hair have the shortest reggies.

I always wondered if you ladies were able to have simpler reggies after using more extensive reggies to get you to BSL or longer.

I always wondered if you ladies were able to have simpler reggies after using more extensive reggies to get you to BSL or longer.

I'm lazy. I've had the same reggie from APL to MBL. I really don't like to do complicated things, because I know I won't stick with it. That also includes using products that are readily accessible.

For me the key to any good reggie is consistancy and simplicity. Hair growth is really simple. If you keep your hair clean, moisturized, and ends protected you will witness results. All the other stuff is extra work to me.

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL THREAD! One thing that I notice to be a consistent tip is NO DIRECT HEAT and PROTECTIVE STYLING. I mean take it from the ladies who have achieved BSL WL MBL. Proof is in the pudding that these simple techniques work. There is no magic potions or tricks involved. Again, I am inspired. Thanks ladies!

Heat is my weakness, I need to go cold turkey. :wallbash:

WONDERFUL WONDERFUL THREAD! One thing that I notice to be a consistent tip is NO DIRECT HEAT and PROTECTIVE STYLING. I mean take it from the ladies who have achieved BSL WL MBL. Proof is in the pudding that these simple techniques work. There is no magic potions or tricks involved.

Yep. I used Megatek for a couple of months- but when you take a look at the waistlength thread - I don't recall reading one lady mention growth aides. The consistent reggie stressed PS, moisture and no direct heat. Since, then I put away the Megatek and yes, my hair is retaining...I just made APL.:yep:

My reggie works well for me and consists of

- deep conditioning and co-washes with cheap conditioner weekly.
- Nightly baggying with castor oil, and protective styling by day.
- Dusting every 6 months and trim of 1/2 inch per year.
- and I perm my 4a/b hair with a “Kiddie Kit” for "fine hair”, minimum of 15 wks.

Yep. I used Megatek for a couple of months- but when you take a look at the waistlength thread - I don't recall reading one lady mention growth aides. The consistent reggie stressed PS, moisture and no direct heat. Since, then I put away the Megatek and yes, my hair is retaining...I just made APL.:yep:

See! Congrats Beans!! I am working my way out of this SL stage.

Great thread!

Current length: Touching WL

Hair type: 4 a/b

Relaxed, natural, texlaxed, BKT or other?: Relaxed

How long have you been on a Healthy Hair Journey? 2 years

What is your reggie?: Deep condition on dry hair then wash 1x a wk. When I'm doing a protein treatment I clarify, do the treatment, then deep condition, usually 1x a month. I try to rinse w/ cool water then I either rollerset or air dry. If I'm air drying I do the scarf method, letting my hair hang until it's 80% dry, then either bun or braid out. If I'm rollersetting I flat iron my roots then pin curl or wrap. I moisturize and seal 1x a day, comb on wash days and limit heat as much as possible (usually blow dry and flat iron 3-4x a yr) I bun at least 3-4 days out the week, exercise fairly regularly, eat clean maybe 80% of the time and drink protein shakes :yep:

What special tips, advice or tricks have you learned? Low manipulation and keeping it simple, I think, is key to retaining length. When I'm not messing in my hair I see the most progress. Minimizing heat and combing has also helped to avoid severe breakage...

Perhaps some ladies have had that experience. I have noticed that newbies tend to have the most insane reggies, but the longer people are at this HHJ, the more they simplify.

As for myself, I have had a simple reggie from the jump. I may have tried different products out, and I have switched protective styles from time to time. But the core of my reggie: protective styling, no/very low direct heat, intense moisture... those things haven't changed and never will.

I suppose it's because I have a lot on my plate, responsibility-wise, and because I am hopelessly lazy. :lachen: I remember when posters were putting their reggies into their sigs... I would be exhausted just LOOKING at the massive complicated hair rituals they had :drunk: Plus I noticed that the posters with long luscious locks had short and sweet reggies. So I based my reg off of a Hair Goddess with a simple reg and never looked back.

I'd like to thank all of you ladies for posting in here :yay:

:clap::clap:ok, one thing i think i MUST CONTINUE that i just started trying is:

SLEEPING WITH MY HAIR WRAPPED, PUTTING A SILK SCARF ON IT, THEN:
(most importantly):yep:

COVERING THE SILK SCARF WITH A PLASTIC CAP!!!!:grin::grin::yep:

i can't even begin to explain how soft and silky it has made my hair since i started trying it this last week.:spinning:

sure, my plastic cap is moist and dewy when i take it off in the morning, but having my hair wrapped and in a scarf keeps it flat and straight. i let it dry (while i do my makeup), and when i run my fingers through it to un-wrap it before combing, MY HAIR FEELS LIKE SILK!!!

i've also noticed that my hair strangely enough "keeps" the style i comb it into much longer.

other reggie usages: since i stopped sls poos a couple of months ago i use:

amla, shikikai, brahmi powders
ACV and distilled water or baking soda, honey and tap water
OR IF i feel there's too much "buildup" from daily products, i'll use a teaspoon of any non sls shampoo mixed with 10 tbsp of horsetail tea and essential oil drops (lavender, cedarwood, rosemary, thyme, ylang-ylang, etc...)

as for conditioners and dc's, i am still trying lots of different ones (ors, leonor greyl, kiehls wheat protein, kiehls nut and honey, and they all work well....no one particular product stands out)

after poo'ing & dc'ing the APHOGEE keratin&green tea restructurizer seems to be doing wonders! :grin: ( i perm, so i need protein)

during the week i've been moisturizing with neutragena triple moisturizer and sometimes use cantu shea silk for gloss, though i don't like the cones in these products. (which is why i ALWAYS USE ACV to get them out)

which brings me to the other "new" thing i've tried most recently that has revolutionized the looks of my hair:

ROSEMARY RINSE
HORSETAIL RINSE
ACV RINSE

i'd been using the avc for at least 3 months now and had liked it, but having researched these other herbs, i found that they can help the roots to strengthen, and with my perming every 8-11 weeks, my roots&hair need it, so i tried it and LOVE THE REULTS!!!
especially that HORSETAIL RINSE which put a shine on my hair like no cone ever had, plus it's a NATURAL SHINE from natural substances. (wish i could "rinse" my hair every morning!)

if anyone tries these ideas, please let me know how it works out for you, too!

Last edited:
Back