Braid-Out Ladies: Need Your Pics

dimpalz said:
I know you've already done the braidout and it turned out fabulous but I wanted to add a short haired pic to the mix. I used to do flat-twistous on my relaxed hair. It was only necklength then. Here's the pics.
This ones of a different style but the flat twists looked like that only I used to do them tighter and on wet hair and I'd do 8 instead of 6. I always forgot to take pics of the real ones I did. Oh and I'd twist to the ends and put magnetic rollers on.

DSC01186-vi.jpg

This is the result without my fav pink scarf :(
DSC01001-vi.jpg

:shocked:

That is SO cute. I am going to try this tonight I think.

i'm relaxed now and haven't tried a braidout yet, but here are pics from when I was natural.

Always started with dry hair (I got more length that way) but then I would spritz with a little water to make it damp, add a little gel and a little carol's daughter hair butter to each section before doing cornrows. sleep with scarf. most of the time i would wear just the cornrows for a day or two before undoing it for braidout.

apr04_cornrow_top.JPG
march04_braidout_back2.JPG
march04_braidout_side2.jpg

adf23 said:
My hair is relatively fine. I have tried braidouts before, and while I have gotten the technique down, to me, braid outs make my hair look wet noodle like, as well as flyaway.

Am I doing something wrong? I have noticed that ladies with "heavy" hair seem to get really lush looking results.

I want good results too!! :(
Aww... I have fine hair too and one would think you can't get the sway others get, but I beg to disagree. I think if you do small braids (even smaller than I did here), and then not comb or separate when you undo but just leave well alone, the partings will not be noticeable - especially if you overlap your single plaits - and because the braid sections (the 3 sections that make a braid) will be somewhat stuck together, they will give your hair weight, hence movement.

My braidout in this picture was done with bigger plaits than the ones in the paragraph above and so wasn't very good, but it was unplanned (I just forgot to carry my comb and didn't realize it until I'd undone my hair with fingers at work LOL, still I pulled it off. See, anything's possible if you hold your head up high :lol: ) Still my fine hair had weight because the sections were not separated. It would've looked better had the plaits been smaller.

I know when I did a twist-out (washed hair in small twists and then undid the airdried twists), I had shrinkage, so you'd expect an immobile afro due to very short hair, but because I left the twist sections stuck together, I had weight and movement. No leave-in products were used in my hair, still "when I moved, it moved (just like that!)" :grin:

Just wanted to add that all the braid/twist/knot-outs rock!

Dillard, that braid-out just gave me a new style idea for my newly BC'd hair. Thanks, Girl!

Nonie said:
Dillard, that braid-out just gave me a new style idea for my newly BC'd hair. Thanks, Girl!

cool, glad i helped :D

btw, the pics are of a 2-day old braidout, not a fresh one... to sleep i'd just tie my scarf right over it and use my fingers to "fluff" it back up in the morning. they usually lasted about that long before i'd re-braid or do something else.

i didn't think a braid-out was possible with relaxed hair but you ladies have given me some great ideas, especially the double strand twist-outs hmmm.

Tara G. said:
hi im being really dumb here..but i just need to clarify something.ok i know what a cornrow is and a twist....but you ladies seem to be mixing the words plait and braid.Just wanted to know wether a plait and braid is the same thing in your context or whether they are different.
Also for a braidout is it best to put rollers on the ends..or can u get away with not doing that.

TIA

Hi could someone please answer my question !!!! thanks.

Tara G. said:
hi im being really dumb here..but i just need to clarify something.ok i know what a cornrow is and a twist....but you ladies seem to be mixing the words plait and braid.Just wanted to know wether a plait and braid is the same thing in your context or whether they are different.
Also for a braidout is it best to put rollers on the ends..or can u get away with not doing that.

TIA

Plait and braid are the same thing. Some people(myself included) use the words interchangeably.

As for putting rollers on the end, you don't have to put rollers on the end. That's completely optional. The addition of rollers is to make the braidout appear neater/polished since sometimes the very ends turn out straight(if you're relaxed) making the texture differences(wavy vs straight end) very noticable. It really is up to you and how you like your braidout to look. HTH:)!

Last edited:
adf23 said:
My hair is relatively fine. I have tried braidouts before, and while I have gotten the technique down, to me, braid outs make my hair look wet noodle like, as well as flyaway.

Am I doing something wrong? I have noticed that ladies with "heavy" hair seem to get really lush looking results.

I want good results too!! :(
I'm the same way. I never get good braid-outs, I never have those pretty deep waves....just fly-away fluff. I'm thinking this is because my hair is so fine. I wish I had that heavy hair. I did get a good braid-out recently though. I was surprised. I'll post pics as soon as I can get this camera working.

Pokahontas said:
I'm the same way. I never get good braid-outs, I never have those pretty deep waves....just fly-away fluff. I'm thinking this is because my hair is so fine. I wish I had that heavy hair. I did get a good braid-out recently though. I was surprised. I'll post pics as soon as I can get this camera working.

your curls are just as gorgeous....i wish I can do skinny braids so my hair can come out like yours

MissScarlett said:
Divastyle it came out great! sorry but that story was too funny:lol:

I have NOT tried braidouts ever, reminds me of being 10 again. but I worry about what happened to you, the drying time??? my hair is thick i could see it taking along time:(

I have a few questions for everyone that is having success with this:

Ok so you're doing this on wet hair, do you just use your normal products?? any extra products??

Is this on soaking wet or just damp hair??

Also how long can you wear the braidout? how do you sleep on it for a few days?? the only way I can ever make my curls re-curl is to co-wash or re-wet which would be impossible at 6am when I need to go to work:ohwell:

Thanks for the compliment. Sorry, I haven't revisited this thread in a long time. I did it on damp hair (towel dried). I used my normal leave-ins, but I added some oil. When I've done twist-outs in the past they came out really frizzy and dry, so I decided to use some oil. (Use whatever oil you like.)

My braidout only really looked good that first day. I wore it for like 3 days, but the 3rd day I looked like I needed to do something with it. I think I pulled the sides up to try and make it look better. In reality, it was still a little damp on those pictures. It air dried, shrunk up, and frizzed up some throughout the day, but it was still a cute alternative.

Good Luck with it. Next time, I'll sit under the dryer.

zzirvingj said:
This is soooooo pretty!! How long is your hair stretched? Waist length? Girl you've got some thick and LOVELY hair!!

Thanks girl! It's just a little short of waist length. I haven't really gotten it all the way straight in a few weeks, because of the humidity down here, but I don't think it's quite to the waist yet. It's cut in layers, so that makes it look so full. My hair strands are actually very thin (fine), but I have a whole lot of hair on my big head.:lol:

DivaStyle said:
Thanks for the compliment. Sorry, I haven't revisited this thread in a long time. I did it on damp hair (towel dried). I used my normal leave-ins, but I added some oil. When I've done twist-outs in the past they came out really frizzy and dry, so I decided to use some oil. (Use whatever oil you like.)

My braidout only really looked good that first day. I wore it for like 3 days, but the 3rd day I looked like I needed to do something with it. I think I pulled the sides up to try and make it look better. In reality, it was still a little damp on those pictures. It air dried, shrunk up, and frizzed up some throughout the day, but it was still a cute alternative.

Good Luck with it. Next time, I'll sit under the dryer.

Thanks i will try and find some oil (which i never use) to do this with.

Ok i know i've been sayin i'm going to try this for like weeks.....:look:

MissScarlett said:
Thanks i will try and find some oil (which i never use) to do this with.

Ok i know i've been sayin i'm going to try this for like weeks.....:look:

I hate oil in my hair too, but I also hate it to be air dried and frizzy. I am convinced that my hair doesn't really like to be air dried. It loves the hooded dryer. Even with the wash and go look, my hair does better when I sit under the dryer (before I go):lol: .

I just Co washed my hair and I was going to do a braidout but I think that I am going to try a twist out and see how that work out. My hair is damp right now.

Keep me in prayer

this was yesterday with my three day twist out.

Attachments

• me3.jpg
    me3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 64
  • me.jpg
    me.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 41
WillyGWifey said:
thats very beautiful

thank you honey. it was my first time so i was very excited. i used the bantu knot technique i learned in this thread a few minutes prior to doing it. :)

Here's mine. I did individual plaits to get this.
I just figured out that baridouts will work better for me if I do single plaits instead of cornrows.
1382.jpg

This is 2 days old.

Parted down the middle and then 5 plaits on each half.

I used Motions wrap foam, WGO & African Royal Braid spray

Back