Braid-Out Ladies: Need Your Pics

OH COME ON! I hope this doesn't come out wrong but HOW DID THAT

2007_0309tgif0094.jpg

TURN INTO THAT!?!?!?!

02.jpg

I don't believe you lauren! Your hair always looks so good, I think you have little hair fairies that help you!!!! I want the fairies too :( :cry:

dimpalz said:
OH COME ON! I hope this doesn't come out wrong but HOW DID THAT

TURN INTO THAT!?!?!?!

I don't believe you lauren! Your hair always looks so good, I think you have little hair fairies that help you!!!! I want the fairies too :( :cry:

ROFL @ "hair fairies"!:rofl: :rofl:

It looks even better in person, dimpalz! She wore a braidout to the Atlanta LHCF meeting in March, and I swear to you, all of us in attendance were drooling over her braidout!:drool:

I know you've already done the braidout and it turned out fabulous but I wanted to add a short haired pic to the mix. I used to do flat-twistous on my relaxed hair. It was only necklength then. Here's the pics.
This ones of a different style but the flat twists looked like that only I used to do them tighter and on wet hair and I'd do 8 instead of 6. I always forgot to take pics of the real ones I did. Oh and I'd twist to the ends and put magnetic rollers on.

DSC01186-vi.jpg

This is the result without my fav pink scarf :(
DSC01001-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Very pretty. Flat twistouts are the bomb, easy and less time consuming. Gotta love it.

dimpalz said:
I know you've already done the braidout and it turned out fabulous but I wanted to add a short haired pic to the mix. I used to do flat-twistous on my relaxed hair. It was only necklength then. Here's the pics.
This ones of a different style but the flat twists looked like that only I used to do them tighter and on wet hair and I'd do 8 instead of 6. I always forgot to take pics of the real ones I did. Oh and I'd twist to the ends and put magnetic rollers on.

DSC01186-vi.jpg

This is the result without my fav pink scarf :(
DSC01001-vi.jpg

DivaStyle said:
Here is the braidout

braidout.jpg

braidoutfront.jpg

Divastyle it came out great! sorry but that story was too funny:lol:

I have NOT tried braidouts ever, reminds me of being 10 again. but I worry about what happened to you, the drying time??? my hair is thick i could see it taking along time:(

I have a few questions for everyone that is having success with this:

Ok so you're doing this on wet hair, do you just use your normal products?? any extra products??

Is this on soaking wet or just damp hair??

Also how long can you wear the braidout? how do you sleep on it for a few days?? the only way I can ever make my curls re-curl is to co-wash or re-wet which would be impossible at 6am when I need to go to work:ohwell:

CurleeDST said:
Very pretty. Flat twistouts are the bomb, easy and less time consuming. Gotta love it.

ok what is the difference between twistouts and braidouts?

I would just like to add that I am SUPER LAZY about my hair:perplexed but I promise i'm going to try this

Thanks for the compliments ladies! :)

MissScarlett said:
Ok so you're doing this on wet hair, do you just use your normal products?? any extra products??

Is this on soaking wet or just damp hair??

Also how long can you wear the braidout? how do you sleep on it for a few days?? the only way I can ever make my curls re-curl is to co-wash or re-wet which would be impossible at 6am when I need to go to work:ohwell:

Firstly twistouts are done with twists or flat-twist canerows, whilst braidouts are done with braids or plain canerows. I did twists because my hair was short and fine and when you twist canerow the hair seems to fall better. BTW I used to twist the 2 halves of my head towards the middle so get a bit of volume, new growth also helps.

I would wash/cowash my hair, towel dry then add leave in spray and a little bit of oil then part and twist. You need to thoroughly detangle or you'll end up bald! I didn't add any special products although I think some people use setting lotion.

My aunt and cousin kept braidouts for more than 2 weeks - done with canerows, they both have hair past shoulder length (I think APL) that's quite thick and full. My aunt sleeps with nothing on her head and tops up with pink moisturiser daily, my cousin pulls it backwards and ties a scarf on it, she would top up with pink moisturiser too. I've never worn one for more than a day myself, I think I was really into experimenting then, plus I was cowashing daily too.

Last edited:
A flat twistout gives the hair more of a wave vs. tighter crinkly look from a braidout. Also, instead of having to make 20 + separate twists throughout the head one can simply party the hair in 6 parts from forehead to nape of neck, and flat twist each section going back. Much quicker and wonderful results.

MissScarlett said:
ok what is the difference between twistouts and braidouts?

I would just like to add that I am SUPER LAZY about my hair:perplexed but I promise i'm going to try this

I want to try a flat twistout, but um, I don't know how to flat twist...can anyone explain it or point me to a tutorial? I get a similar look with 9-10 pincurls, but I'm curious to see how the twistout would look.

I love braidouts although I don't have any pics of mine. They're a great no-heat style.

Hey ladies! Here are my first braidout pics. I was inspired by this thread to try it. I need to practice a little bit more but overall I really like the style! :)

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

Divine Inspiration said:
I want to try a flat twistout, but um, I don't know how to flat twist...can anyone explain it or point me to a tutorial? I get a similar look with 9-10 pincurls, but I'm curious to see how the twistout would look.

I love braidouts although I don't have any pics of mine. They're a great no-heat style.

if you can cornrow then flat twisting should be a breeze. part off 6 sections of your hair like you're going to braid 6 cornrows. first try twisting a section of your hair (you know how the little girls wear their hair twisted in ponytails). your going to use that same motion but apply it going backward. the same concept as braiding where you continue to grab more hair as you go back/down. secure the ends with a roller.

hope this makes since. the results are beautiful.

Ambitious1013 said:
Hey ladies! Here are my first braidout pics. I was inspired by this thread to try it. I need to practice a little bit more but overall I really like the style! :)

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

thats a beautiful braid-out: I wanted to do a braid-out too but I chickened out but you know wat, I'm gonna do it as soon as I get off... My friend is using my camera at her track meet so I can't post any pics so hopefully it'll come out wrong and not pretty like urs.

Ooooh, very pretty!:yep: Your haircolor really sets it off!

Ambitious1013 said:

DSC00662.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

Sorry,
I didn't get any pictures of my braidout before I took them out but here are the results.

It's my first braidout since transitioning. I put 7 plaits on my head last night and rolled the ends with hair rollers (I still have relaxer on the ends).

Braidout2.jpg

Braidout3.jpg

those are beautiful braid-outs..........my hair is braided now even though I believe its gonna come out funny cause I braided it and then got in the shower....so my roots are like poofy

I still haven't tried this:perplexed I'm still afraid of divastyle's 22 hour ordeal. but seeing blackbuttafly's new braidout has inspried me.

How do you maintain the braidout? How long will it last? Can you sleep on it???

I have to be at work at 6am:ohwell: no time for co-washing or re-wetting, if that's the case, I will just bun and go.

I think a flat twistout will work for me. The only time I can get a somewhat decent twistout is when I do a whole head of twists, so I did an experiment and flat twisted the front of my hair and it came out pretty good. I'm going to do the whole head tonight. It's quick too.

My hair is relatively fine. I have tried braidouts before, and while I have gotten the technique down, to me, braid outs make my hair look wet noodle like, as well as flyaway.

Am I doing something wrong? I have noticed that ladies with "heavy" hair seem to get really lush looking results.

I want good results too!! :(

hi im being really dumb here..but i just need to clarify something.ok i know what a cornrow is and a twist....but you ladies seem to be mixing the words plait and braid.Just wanted to know wether a plait and braid is the same thing in your context or whether they are different.
Also for a braidout is it best to put rollers on the ends..or can u get away with not doing that.

TIA

Here's my pics:

IMGP0562.jpg

I braided small sections then pincurled on towel dryed hair. I smoothed the edges down with biosilk gel and stiff head wax. I wrapped it in a scarf and sat under the dry for about 30 minutes, then let it do the rest of the drying overnight. (this pic is when I took it down the next morning)

The Results

IMGP0564.jpg

IMGP0567.jpg

IMGP0568.jpg

senimoni said:
Mars that is adorable.

it really is....that has to be the most perfect braid-out i've seen...thats how I wanna wear my hair when I graduate w/ my bachelors...so I got 3 yrs to get this braid-out thing

Thanks ladies:) I'm glad that I was finally able to come up with something that worked and didn't take all day. Now my issue will be keeping it looking nice for a few days:p

Back