Attn: 4b/relaxed/fine/kinky/never been longer than SL

MRJ1972

I am new to the forum, and after hours and hours of searching, I am a bit overwhelmed with all of these threads!!!! :ohwell: My goal is to obtain healthy, manageable hair with a mid back length. ( I have NEVER been longer than shoulder length, EVER!!!! :nono:)

I am trying to find information on ladies that are 4b/relaxed/fine/kinky/SL to inquire about your regimes. For instance, who co-washes, if so how often, relaxer stretching, if so how far can you go without breakage, what are some must have products for 4b fine hair, protective style ideas? (twist out, braid out's dont look good on my fine hair) and buns are okay but my nape is soooo kinky!:wallbash:

I have read different posts that answer some of these questions, but when I see photos and fotki's for these ladies, their hair texture does not match my own, therefore they are able to do things that I cannot.

So, if you dont mind, if you are 4b/fine/relaxed/kinky/ can you please give me some tips or suggested regimes or direct me to some threads or fotki's that fit my hair description.

FYI..I am currently 5 months post and wearing a (very ugly)bun, and the ends of my hair are paper thin. My edges are very thin and my nape area is damaged as well. I have minimal shedding, but I have a lot of breakage when trying to detangle, because of the new growth and I have read on this site that stretching the relaxer is very beneficial. I am debating getting a relaxer if I cannot get a sew in or micro braids within the upcoming week.

Thanks and sorry this was soo long!

I wish I could be of more help to you. I came into this thread because you were describing me and I thought someone had some good news to report about how their hair had grown:lachen:

But anyhow, I can say that may hair has shown much improvement since being on this board. I just self-relaxed yesterday and finished it up this morning. I've got a fantastic bounce I haven't seen in my hair for years.

My hair is still SL, but even that is a big deal for me. It always used to break just as it was getting past my neck. I use Profectiv relaxers now. This last time I did a 10 week stretch. That's the longest ever for me. I use the Ovation Cell Therapy system, and Vatika coconut oil. Those are my staples and I'm still experimenting with some other things.

I am 4b with fine texlaxed hair. I was APL + as a child but had never been past SL from the age of 9 to adulthood. I am still SL, but my hair is a lot healthier and I have very little breakage. My regimen is pretty simple. I wear sew-ins the majority of the time. Here is my regimen hope this helps:

• Wash every 2 weeks (w/ Weave), 1x a week otherwise
• Deep Condition w/ every wash
• Moisturize every other day
• MT on length of hair (wash days only)
• OCT daily (scalp only)
• Clarify once every 4-6 weeks
• Protein treatment every 6 weeks
• Protective Styles (Sew-In Weaves , Half-Wigs, Buns)
• Low Manipulation (Rollersets, Braid-Outs, Bantu Knots)
• Direct Heat 2x a year ONLY!!! (only on relaxer days)

I am new on this forum also, I am shoulder length too. And its rare that my hair gets passed shoulder length with out me cutting it off, because of split ends and breakage.
But what has worked for me so far is washing my hair weekly (wash & set, blow out the roots Only). I moisturize my hair with HE long term hair relationship and I use glycerin. Glycerin helps a lot with keeping your hair and body moisturize. I also use Bee Mine hair serum as a growth agent. It contains sulfur that is great for growth. Well that's all I am doing to my hair so far...... I do see the improvement in my growth[/I][/B]

I wish I could be of more help to you. I came into this thread because you were describing me and I thought someone had some good news to report about how their hair had grown:lachen:

But anyhow, I can say that may hair has shown much improvement since being on this board. I just self-relaxed yesterday and finished it up this morning. I've got a fantastic bounce I haven't seen in my hair for years.

My hair is still SL, but even that is a big deal for me. It always used to break just as it was getting past my neck. I use Profectiv relaxers now. This last time I did a 10 week stretch. That's the longest ever for me. I use the Ovation Cell Therapy system, and Vatika coconut oil. Those are my staples and I'm still experimenting with some other things.

LOL!!!:lachen:

I am sorry I lured you in "falsely"...but thanks for encouragement..I have looked up the info on the Vatika oil, so I am going to order that for sealing and I probably need to shorten my stretches because fine hair is so fragile

I just started on this forum, so I hope to see improvement as well...Thanks again!!!:grin:

I am 4b with fine texlaxed hair. I was APL + as a child but had never been past SL from the age of 9 to adulthood. I am still SL, but my hair is a lot healthier and I have very little breakage. My regimen is pretty simple. I wear sew-ins the majority of the time. Here is my regimen hope this helps:

• Wash every 2 weeks (w/ Weave), 1x a week otherwise
• Deep Condition w/ every wash
• Moisturize every other day
• MT on length of hair (wash days only)
• OCT daily (scalp only)
• Clarify once every 4-6 weeks
• Protein treatment every 6 weeks
• Protective Styles (Sew-In Weaves , Half-Wigs, Buns)
• Low Manipulation (Rollersets, Braid-Outs, Bantu Knots)
• Direct Heat 2x a year ONLY!!! (only on relaxer days)

OMG!!
I have seen your photos and I absolutely LUV your hair :yep:...I have worn sew-in's before but I dont know how to get to the hair underneath very good...Also what products do you use to wash and deep condition and moisturize..some of the products that i used made the weave very grimy and I dont think they did anything as far as my hair is concerned because it was longer but very thin when i removed the sew in...thanks!!!

OMG!!
I have seen your photos and I absolutely LUV your hair :yep:...I have worn sew-in's before but I dont know how to get to the hair underneath very good...Also what products do you use to wash and deep condition and moisturize..some of the products that i used made the weave very grimy and I dont think they did anything as far as my hair is concerned because it was longer but very thin when i removed the sew in...thanks!!!

Thanks!

Here are my staple products. I am a true PJ so I am always trying new things:

Shampoo: AO Blue Camomile Shampoo

DC:All things AO; Sitrinilla (Hairveda)

Leave-In: Green Grape (SheScentIt)

Oils: Vatika Frosting, EV Coconut Oil, Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Cocasta Shikakai Oil

Moisturizer: Moisture Mist (SheScentIt), Green Tea Herbal Butter (Hairveda); Mizani H2O Intens Night-Time Treatment

Growth Aid: Mega-Tek, OCT

First off Welcome!

I was just thinking today how much simpler my regimen is compared to when I started off I was using some of everything.

I am 4b and have never had hair longer than APL too...*sigh*...I am hoping that if I stay commited to my regimen that I will grow past SL.

So we can grow together this year.

Here is my regimen:

Co washing every 2-3 days, with Hair One or Victoria's So Sexy Conditioner for dry and damaged hair or whatever I am feeling at the moment.

I use poo weekly Trader Joe's Nourish Spa or Cream of Nature( red label or green label)

On alternate weeks I shampoo with ORS Aloe shampoo. I clarify monthly with Nexus Aloe Rid.

DC once a week with heat, usually Silicon Mix or Aubrey's HSR.

After the Cowash, I apply Ovation Cell Therapy on my scalp only, put on leave in, usually the Sunsilk Captivating Curls(green bottle) or Hair One -Jojoba. I then seal in the moisture with Sabino Moisture Block, put on a silk scarf, and get under my bonnet dryer for 30 min on low.

At this point my hair is a little damp still- but I am good to go.

I moisturize 1-2 times daily with Abba Kukui Nut body cream, and seal with oil at least once daily. I seal with Olive Oil or Carrott Oil.

I always tie my hair up with a silk scarf at night for bed.

I don't brush and mostly finger comb. I will do a good detangle with a shower comb like twice a week.

Protein treatments are light, usually I will use Aphogee 2 min reconstructor once a month

Growth aides: OCT or Donna Marie Godess Growth Remedy oil

I have been relaxing every 8 weeks- I used to be every 5 weeks before I found the boards, but from now I will relax at 10 weeks and ess how that goes.

I protective style 100% of the time, I bun, french braid, wigs, half wigs, etc. Take a look at my Fotki, where you will find ideas for styles, products, etc

Try to not be overwhelmed and keep it simple:

Wash at least weekly
DC for 30 minutes a week with heat
Moisturize and seal daily
Stay away from direct heat

HHG

Also one more thing , I commend you for stretching that long, but since you are having breakage it might be time to get a touch up, that is if you are not transitioning. I think that 4a/b's need to be careful when stretching for long lenths because it seems like our hair type is prone to breakage.

Braidouts look horrible on my hair too, lol.

Welcome!

First, you might want to trim to get rid of the thin ends after you relax. After a five month stretch, you might find you have more length than you think, so the trim might not be so painful. :yep:

My regimen includes co-washing daily or at least every alternating day (using WEN Fig), and sealing with JBCO. I DC 2x a week - once with ORS Replenishing Pak (mixed with JBCO) and once with Nexxus Keraphix, followed by Nexxus Humectress. As of now, those are the only 2 times a week I am using heat. I am wearing nothing but buns - sometimes twisted, sometimes tucked under. I use only satin scrunchies or good day hair pins. I use a Jilbere shower comb once every two weeks to detangle in the shower; other than that I am not combing or brushing. I apply a mix of MT/OCT to my scalp only once a day. I just relaxed last week after a 14 week stretch and I made APL. KISS works, trust me!! I haven't even been rollersetting because it would tempt me to wear my hair down.

Once I have NG to deal with, I start spritzing it with a mixture of aloe vera juice or gel (I use them interchangeably), glycerin, a little NTM Silk Touch and distilled water. After I spritz it, I tie a silk scarf over it and it dries flat. I also will detangle more frequently when I'm stretching.

I relax using Phytospecific Type II. If I feel the need for hard protein I use Nexxus Emergencee.

HTH

Last edited:
i was the same way when i got onto these boards... i'm 4bzzz relaxed nl and never been more than nl EVER.. and i couldn't find a thread from someone who had my stats.. i started a thread similar to this asking if there was any hope for my hair growing past nl!!! I am barely scrapping towards shoulder length now.. but my hair has def improved...and i'm finally getting some length! I expect to be fully sl by fall.

I think you have to keep scouring the boards and eventually you start picking up diff things.. post until you can't post anymore.. if there is a thread out there someone will send you the link.. sometimes when i have a question i'll do a search and can't find the answer.. then i post.. and in a min I get pointed to the right info..

i post about just about anything that pops into my head.. bc these ladies out here are masters of their hair domain and they're so giving/caring when you post a quesition.. so hang in there.. you'll get all the info you need.

Anyway, I can't say my hair is fine -- altho as a fellow newbie I'm not sure what that means.. my new length is wierd looking.. the ends seem thin, but i learned from another post i did that, that is not neccesarily a negative thing and i should wait to see if the other short ends catch up to the long ones...

As for stretching.. my last one was 13 weeks and it was brutal.. i was breaking like no tomoro and it wouldn't stop. I would say that I probably should have relaxed at 10 weeks.

I just relaxed and am still seeing a lil breakage but it looks like it's going away. this relaxer cycle, I'm planning on braiding at 8 weeks (which is when I start to see enough ng that breakage becomes noticeable). I really hate braids but I feel like it will help.

Anyway, here's my regimen

1. Wash 1x-2x/wk w/ con detangling (red letters) or ORS olive oil poo
2. follow with cheapie condish vo5straberry/suave tropical coconut.
3. DC 1x/wk with ORS replenishing deep condish
4. Daily moisturizer ORS carrot oil (but I just got haiwain silky 10 in 1 and will be try8ing it out)
5. I use olive oil/coconut oil as a sealant.

HTH

Yeah, things are definitely overwhelming at first. But, just try things you think my work and keep experimenting until you have a hair breakthrough. I am going to let the ladies that have been here longer and have really good progress do the talking. :) I'm still learning.

Good luck! It will grow.

I am 4b, relaxed with very fine hair. Up until now I could never get past SL.
My regimen has been fairly simple: I wash with Ayurvedic powders once to twice per week and deep condition after each wash (normally with ORS Mayonnaise).
I'm basically using wigs as a protective style and I keep my hair plaited underneath. I usually moisturise with ORS Carrot Oil daily and seal with a variety of oils such as Almond, Jojoba, etc.
My first relaxer stretch was 10 months and this one will be around 5/6 months... unless I decide to transition... again ... :look:.
I'm just trying to do as little to my hair as possible.

For me, the key to getting from SL to APL was low manipulation and moisture.

After my first stretch I had reached APL, but had a major trim and my ends looked and felt so much better... if your ends are very thin you will benefit from a small trim.
I'm now back to APL, but with healthier ends.

PrettyPink,
Do you mix the glycerin with anything? Do you have a picture of the kind you use? I desperately need to add some moisture to my hair!!

I'm in this post asking the same question you are, MRJ, thanks for this post!

Also one more thing , I commend you for stretching that long, but since you are having breakage it might be time to get a touch up, that is if you are not transitioning. I think that 4a/b's need to be careful when stretching for long lenths because it seems like our hair type is prone to breakage.

Braidouts look horrible on my hair too, lol.

Thanks you are Correct!!! I am relaxing on Friday! I washed my hair last night and lost more long thin strands that I could not afford to lose!..

I am not very computer savvy, but I will see if I can get some pics posted so you guys can see just how TRANSPARENT my hair is!!! LOL

I am 4a, tight nappy with very fine baby hair that's never been longer than SL

What has helped me retain growth was:

1 - learning about protein and moisture balance
2 - stopping the use of heat
3 - a very mild relaxer - Mizani BB/FC
4 - sleeping only on silk
5 - cowash every 3 days - my hair gets brittle after three days
6 - I cannot stretch past ten weeks

ETA - do an advanced title search for "fine hair" and you'll get lots of good info.

Thanks to everyone that has replied thus far, I really appreciate it...

I have decided to relax this Friday, so I will incorporate a regime to deal with my hair type...I will see if I can get someone to help me post my PICS so that I can have a starting point here on LHCF and track my progress......I definitely keep you guys posted, thanks again :grouphug:, you all are soooo helpful!!!!

I am 4a, tight nappy with very fine baby hair that's never been longer than SL

What has helped me retain growth was:

1 - learning about protein and moisture balance
2 - stopping the use of heat
3 - a very mild relaxer - Mizani BB/FC
4 - sleeping only on silk
5 - cowash every 3 days - my hair gets brittle after three days
6 - I cannot stretch past ten weeks

ETA - do an advanced title search for "fine hair" and you'll get lots of good info.

I think that I have learned not to stretch this long anymore...I had been wearing a sew-in but then decided to take it out for a while but I dont think my hair is strong enough to support these roots.

Back