Ask the stylist whatever you want!!

What blow dryer would you recommend for someone with fine strands and transitioning w/ a high density?
EnExitStageLeft

I love my Rusk Speed Freak. It's not necessarily the dryer it's what you do with it. Chi, Andis and Fhi make great dryers as well.

For you hair type use a medium heat setting and blowdry smooth with a brush or comb attachment. Always blowdry in sections and take your time!! Good Luck!

Do some people just have hard, wiry hair? My hair now is how I remember it as a child. It feels hard and when I twist it, it pretty much just sticks up in the air.

My hair feels soft when I DC and when I apply my leave-in. If I apply any type of oil or cream after that it seems to lose its softness. And not matter what I put on it, when it dries it feels hard and crunchy. It's not moisturized nor is it dry, its just some where in between.

As far as I know I've tried everything: water filter, clarifying, short DCs, long DCs, LOC, LCO, LC, steaming, shampoo, no shampoo, cowashing, almost every oil, milks, creams, butters, protein, no protein.

Any ideas or is this just my hair.

@Holla

I love Joico Moisture Recovery shampoo and conditioner. It's my favorite set of con and poo. This stuff is amazing and it works for all hair types, I mean all!

Co-washing is fantastic. It's really good for hydrating the hair. It can actually be done as often as several times per week if needed. Just be sure to use a light conditioner or dilute a heavier one when doing it. Co-washing does cause build up and your hair will need to be clarified on occassion.

My favorite deep conditioner is Joico Moisture Recovery conditioner.

Unfortunately I don't travel to do hair. Maybe I will in the future.

Since you mentioned Joico, do you think that any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner? The instructions for Joico state that it's to be left on for 1 minute, which sounds like it's not intended to penetrate the hair shaft like a deep conditioner should (so I've read). Instead it sounds like Joico just coats the hair. I love this product, but I'm not sure if it's actually deep conditioning my hair.

What could be the cause of frizzy hair after blow drying and flat ironing? For some reason after I flat iron my hair it frizzes up 10 mins after I finish my whole head. By frizz I mean my hair is just straight and frizzy - not reversion. What am I doing wrong lol? Serums and heat protectants and the like don't seem to tame the frizz either.

Thank you for this thread!

I checked out your youtube channel and was amazed at how straight you can get type 4 hair. I am currently transitioning and my main concern is how I can get my hair as straight as I am used to as a relaxed head but not suffer heat damage. I would do it about 3-4 times a year. Can you give step by step tips?

1. Do you blow dry wet/damp or airdried hair?
2. Do you suggest rollersetting natural hair before flat ironing or do you suggest blowdrying for better results?
3. What heat protectant would you suggest that minimizes/prevents reversion (against humidity)?
4. What temperature should you set the flat iron to and what flat iron do you recommend? How many passes is too many?
5. How do you get the ends so straight?
6. What are some products that should be used after you straighten to make sure the hair reverts back?
7. How often is too often to straighten the hair if you don't want heat damage or does it differ from head to head? What frequency do you recommend, i.e. no more than once a month? Once every 3 months?

Will you ever go back to doing non-weave clients? I am in Atlanta and I would love to have you do my hair *hint, hint*.

Last edited:
i have been natural for over 3 years and my hair is barely APL. My hair is fine but dense 4a. The longer it gets the thinner it looks so I continue to trim it to the point where I cant get it past a certain length. It is in good health tight now. Whats the problem here? My hair was thicker and longer relaxed.

Hi DSD :wave:

My BIL took my niece to get her 4b hair straighten to a stylist who used marcel irons. Well the end result was beautiful, looked like she had a relaxer. However, when washed ...you guessed it HEAT DAMAGE!!! Some sections are bone straight, other sections are not as tightly coiled.

I washed it this past weekend with moisturizing shampoo & used a Aphogee 2 min reconstructor as conditioner. Cornrowed with Aphogee provitamin leave in & castor oil

Any other suggestions?TIA.

kinchen More details please. What products do you use? Medications? Family history? Age? Normal regimen? Diet? Supplements? and anything else you can think of. Thanks

My mother and her sister are super thin at the crown also, I only use trader joes nurish conditioner and a medicated shampoo I got from the derm but I think I am going to stop using it. I am taking a half of sleeping pill I cut down on it because I thought maybe it has to do with my hair coming out in clumps. I mean could make a natural wig out of all the hair in the shower. I take Alive gummy vitamins for women. I am under and extreme amount of stress I eat a pretty normal diet green smoothies and I am trying to increase the number of days I go to the gym. I used to have super thick natural hair but one BKT application in 2010 and my hair has looked like crap ever since the texture has even changed. I am thinking about doing a big chop but my head is so big it might look crazy :lachen: oh and I am 40 I think I might have pcos cause something is making my hair fall out. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 112
Do some people just have hard, wiry hair? My hair now is how I remember it as a child. It feels hard and when I twist it, it pretty much just sticks up in the air.

My hair feels soft when I DC and when I apply my leave-in. If I apply any type of oil or cream after that it seems to lose its softness. And not matter what I put on it, when it dries it feels hard and crunchy. It's not moisturized nor is it dry, its just some where in between.

As far as I know I've tried everything: water filter, clarifying, short DCs, long DCs, LOC, LCO, LC, steaming, shampoo, no shampoo, cowashing, almost every oil, milks, creams, butters, protein, no protein.

Any ideas or is this just my hair.
faithVA Have you been consistent with any of these methods or did you just keep trying things and nothing worked on the first or second try and then you tried something else?

Everyone's hair can get softer over time. Our hair likes routines and for us to keep it simple. If you are switching up too much your hair won't respond to anything.

Once you get together a set of products that you like make sure to start with clarified hair and use them for several weeks to see if your hair starts behaving.

Since you mentioned Joico, do you think that any conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner? The instructions for Joico state that it's to be left on for 1 minute, which sounds like it's not intended to penetrate the hair shaft like a deep conditioner should (so I've read). Instead it sounds like Joico just coats the hair. I love this product, but I'm not sure if it's actually deep conditioning my hair.
Dreamn

Yes, just about any conditioner can be used as deep conditioner. I really not a fan of bottle instructions. I really just go by what my clients hair needs and how their hair responds to the treatments.

If your hair is soft, moisturized and retaining length, it's doing what it is supposed to do.

I use this on my clients on a very regular basis and their hair is doing fantastic with this product.

Can you recommend any transitioning hairstyles other than twists, roller sets, Bantu knots. I don't know how to do flat twists. Tia. :)
lisanaturally

Transitioners really don't hair a lot of options. You can try to blend the relaxed hair with the natural hair or try to blend the natural hair with the relaxed. The latter is easier to do. You may want to give braids or weaves a try as this will make the transition a lot easier.

If you can braid you can do a braidout. You can do a flexi rod or perm rod set.

What could be the cause of frizzy hair after blow drying and flat ironing? For some reason after I flat iron my hair it frizzes up 10 mins after I finish my whole head. By frizz I mean my hair is just straight and frizzy - not reversion. What am I doing wrong lol? Serums and heat protectants and the like don't seem to tame the frizz either.
MystiqueBabe

If you don't straighten your hair on a regular basis this is a common occurrence. When flat ironing make sure the hair is well moisturized. I cannot stress this enough. Once you start straightening your hair more this problem will get slightly better but may not completely go away.

Instead of serums and such you may want to try pressing with oils. You will get a sleeker press with less reversion at the end. You could also try a heavier serum like Mizani Thermasmooth.

Thank you for this thread!

I checked out your youtube channel and was amazed at how straight you can get type 4 hair. I am currently transitioning and my main concern is how I can get my hair as straight as I am used to as a relaxed head but not suffer heat damage. I would do it about 3-4 times a year. Can you give step by step tips?

1. Do you blow dry wet/damp or airdried hair?
2. Do you suggest rollersetting natural hair before flat ironing or do you suggest blowdrying for better results?
3. What heat protectant would you suggest that minimizes/prevents reversion (against humidity)?
4. What temperature should you set the flat iron to and what flat iron do you recommend? How many passes is too many?
5. How do you get the ends so straight?
6. What are some products that should be used after you straighten to make sure the hair reverts back?
7. How often is too often to straighten the hair if you don't want heat damage or does it differ from head to head? What frequency do you recommend, i.e. no more than once a month? Once every 3 months?

Will you ever go back to doing non-weave clients? I am in Atlanta and I would love to have you do my hair *hint, hint*.
AgeinATL

You are welcome!

I'll give you some tips but flat ironing is more about clean highly moisturized hair, the right products for your hair type and a practiced hand.

I blowdry hair while wet.

Blowdry gives you better results.

Paul Mitchell super skinny is a great heat protectant.

My favorite flat iron is the Babyliss Pro Titanium 1 1/2 inch. 375 Degrees is good for most textures of hair with one but no more than two passes.

Use the comb chase method to get the ends straight.

Just shampooing your hair will make the hair revert back to its natural state.

You can safely straighten bi weekly with out damage if done properly.

Yes, I will be accepting non weave clients in the future. I will let everyone know when.

i have been natural for over 3 years and my hair is barely APL. My hair is fine but dense 4a. The longer it gets the thinner it looks so I continue to trim it to the point where I cant get it past a certain length. It is in good health tight now. Whats the problem here? My hair was thicker and longer relaxed.
tru4reele

I would have to know more about your daily habits and routines to help you on this one. Give me a day to day scenario, products used, styling habits and night time routine please.

Last edited:
Hi DSD :wave:

My BIL took my niece to get her 4b hair straighten to a stylist who used marcel irons. Well the end result was beautiful, looked like she had a relaxer. However, when washed ...you guessed it HEAT DAMAGE!!! Some sections are bone straight, other sections are not as tightly coiled.

I washed it this past weekend with moisturizing shampoo & used a Aphogee 2 min reconstructor as conditioner. Cornrowed with Aphogee provitamin leave in & castor oil

Any other suggestions?TIA.
bgsix

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to make the curls come back. To make sure that hair doesn't incur any more damage keep it well conditioned and moisturized. Keep her in protective styles as much as possible with the ends tucked in. She is going to have to transition the heat damaged hair out. I'm sorry this happened.

Last edited:
Can you recommend a good shampoo for severe itchy scalp issues?
Healthb4Length

I hope that you are not shampooing too often. If so try decreasing the amount of shampoos. If your scalp is naturally dry then frequent shampoos will make matters worse.

Try doing weekly hot oil treatments as well. You may want to even go old school and "grease" your scalp several times per week. You can use any moisturizing oil such as coconut, olive or jojoba oil for that.

Also, Keracare makes a good shampoo for itchy scalp.

Last edited:
My mother and her sister are super thin at the crown also, I only use trader joes nurish conditioner and a medicated shampoo I got from the derm but I think I am going to stop using it. I am taking a half of sleeping pill I cut down on it because I thought maybe it has to do with my hair coming out in clumps. I mean could make a natural wig out of all the hair in the shower. I take Alive gummy vitamins for women. I am under and extreme amount of stress I eat a pretty normal diet green smoothies and I am trying to increase the number of days I go to the gym. I used to have super thick natural hair but one BKT application in 2010 and my hair has looked like crap ever since the texture has even changed. I am thinking about doing a big chop but my head is so big it might look crazy :lachen: oh and I am 40 I think I might have pcos cause something is making my hair fall out. Thanks
kinchen
You will probably have to transition out of the BKT completely.

Stress can do a number on your hair as well.

Try using a moisturizing shampoo after you use your medicated shampoo to combat some of the dryness.

Keep taking your vitamins but consider adding one especially for hair, skin and nails. Also consider a garlic supplement to help with the shedding. I hope that the sleeping pills are not part of the problem.

Take some time for yourself and try a little prayer or meditation to relieve the stress. Your hair will love you for it!!

Last edited:
My hair is currently dyed and natural but I really want to texlax........is this really not possible.

My coworker who has relaxed hair dyes her hair pretty often and her hair is healthy, can I not do the same?

Loving this thread! No questions, just readg

Looks like u might need your 'assistant' to come help u w all these 'clients' :)

OP,,first of all thank you for this opportunity.
My question: is really possible to have no breakage at all when detangling??? No matter how gentle I am, finger detangling, wet or dry detangling I will always have a couple of broken hair.

faithVA Have you been consistent with any of these methods or did you just keep trying things and nothing worked on the first or second try and then you tried something else?

Everyone's hair can get softer over time. Our hair likes routines and for us to keep it simple. If you are switching up too much your hair won't respond to anything.

Once you get together a set of products that you like make sure to start with clarified hair and use them for several weeks to see if your hair starts behaving.

Thank ..........

Last edited:
Cool thread!

Is there anything as "oversteaming" hair? I would like to steam daily to see if that would help me retain moisture...btw 4C here!

Is that a good/bad idea?...and why is it so hard for 4C natural hair to retain the right amount of moisture? Is that just the way this hair type is designed to be? I didn't have this problem so much when I was relaxed...thanks!

My hair is currently dyed and natural but I really want to texlax........is this really not possible.

My coworker who has relaxed hair dyes her hair pretty often and her hair is healthy, can I not do the same?
TopShelf

Hmmm. The first thing that came to my thoughts is breakage.

I believe relaxing then coloring is safer than coloring than relaxing.

You can not compare your hair to hers. Every head of hair is different even if they look the same.

If you really must do it, try a test strand in a hidden area first and then wait a couple of weeks to see how your hair responds.

Back