Ask the stylist whatever you want!!

Hi and I appreciate this thread dontspeakdefeat!

I have a question regarding relaxers and whether its safe to go back and forth between lye and no lye in the long run? I've noticed that certain stylists don't maintain any consistency and just use what they have on hand it seems. So far the only difference I see is that no-lye leaves my hair straighter.

Also what is the reason some hairdressers do a blow out and you leave shop with your hair smelling clean and fresh like your shampoo and conditioner, but you get the same blow out from someone else and your hair has that "cooked hair" smell. Both people are using identical amounts of heat. Is it the tools or product build up?

Thanks for this thread dontspeakdefeat !

The last 2 inches of my ends are dry and bushy, but when I look at them, I have no split ends, are they still damaged, or just in need of moisture? I've baggy'd which helps for a few hours, but then they are brittle again. The last time I straightened my hair, my ends were sticking together (small strands wrapping around each other), and I had to finger detangle only to prevent breakage. Any suggestions?

I'm natural, 4b, BSL.

1.What is the secret to blow drying without causing breakage at the ends?
2. If you have some hairs which are half the length of your longest strands e.g 5in (shortest) to 9in (longest), would you advise you client to cut their hair to the shortest length for an even growth process.
3.If a clients hair is quite damaged, how would you advise them to manage their hair in between salon visits?

Thank you

if i go into the salon every 2 weeks for weave maintenance, can i keep my weave install in longer than 8 weeks? I want to take it out the second week of june when i'm 16 weeks post.

Salon Products Haul -Joico, Redken, Paul Mitchell: http://youtu.be/fqEcUKIE1eY

I just watched your new video!

Also, I wanted to follow up let you know that I was "Turned All the Way Out" when I tried the Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm that you recommended!

Going forward, it will be my on the ground/salon moisturizing DC when I'm trying to stretch my handmade DCs. It doesn't hurt to have something in your stash that has a longer shelf life. :yep:

Have you tried the Joico K-Pak Revitalux? If so, how does it compare to the Joico K-Pak DPR? TIA

Sent from my Speak & Spell using LHCF

What's the difference between the Joiko Moisture Recovery regular conditioner and the Treatment Balm? The ingredient lists looked really similar (although I did have a hard time reading that tiny print in the store :look:).

What's the difference between the Joiko Moisture Recovery regular conditioner and the Treatment Balm? The ingredient lists looked really similar (although I did have a hard time reading that tiny print in the store :look:).
The conditioner is a rinse out conditioner. The treatment balm is deep conditioner. It is super thick and moisturized hair like no other.

The ends of my hair dry bushy how can I tell if its split/ damaged hair or simply from my hair being texlaxed/ under processed?

Also, I wanted to follow up let you know that I was "Turned All the Way Out" when I tried the Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm that you recommended!

Going forward, it will be my on the ground/salon moisturizing DC when I'm trying to stretch my handmade DCs. It doesn't hurt to have something in your stash that has a longer shelf life. :yep:

Have you tried the Joico K-Pak Revitalux? If so, how does it compare to the Joico K-Pak DPR? TIA

Joico is the best thing that happened to my hair. No joke. I've stocked up on liters of that stuff. I will be using no other conditioner. My hair detangles so easily and I'm about 24 weeks post relaxer. Also when it dries my hair is moisturized and my ends don't feel like a dry crunchy mess. This conditioner has definitely changed the game for my hair :grin::grin:

You mentioned a couple of times to blow dry the hair while wet, which is what I've always done before I found YT and forums. They always say blow drying wet causes damage and bubble hair. Many natural YT'ers even blow dry after their hair is completely dry, which I don't like and seems to cause over dryness in my hair and is redundant.

Why, specifically, do say to blow dry from wet? What techniques do you use to blow dry?

Thank you

These stylist do what DSD does and blow dry wet hair. They explain their reasoning behind it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1jUrgh6U5Q

MileHighDiva

Cool!

I'm glad you like the Joico!

I have tried the Revitalux and it is a great conditioner. I believe it's a little more concentrate. It's been a while since I used that one but when I did you it I used it for people with damaged hair more so to help stop breaking. The K-Pak I use a maintenance because it is a little more lightweight.

Dayjoy

The moisture recovery is for infusing moisture into the hair. The balm is for stopping breaking and repairing hair.

Hi Don'tspeakdefeat!. I think that i am ready to embrace my gray hair and not put anymore Demi color on it. I need to know what can I use on my hair to make the gray hair silver and sparkle. Should I just use a blue poo and cond occasionally?

Sent from my iPad using LHCF
janeemat

Any shampoo that is made especially for platinum blondes will do. Try this Paul Mitchell one. http://www.paulmitchell.com/en-us/Products/PaulMitchell/Blonde/Pages/PlatinumBlondeShampoo.aspx

You can also try shimmer lights shampoo. http://www.sallybeauty.com/blonde-shampoo/CLAIRL3,default,pd.html

Hi and I appreciate this thread dontspeakdefeat!

I have a question regarding relaxers and whether its safe to go back and forth between lye and no lye in the long run? I've noticed that certain stylists don't maintain any consistency and just use what they have on hand it seems. So far the only difference I see is that no-lye leaves my hair straighter.

Also what is the reason some hairdressers do a blow out and you leave shop with your hair smelling clean and fresh like your shampoo and conditioner, but you get the same blow out from someone else and your hair has that "cooked hair" smell. Both people are using identical amounts of heat. Is it the tools or product build up?
browneyedgrl

I do not suggest going back and forth between lye and no lye relaxers as it is two different chemicals. No lye relaxers tend to be very drying on the hair so I don't suggest them at all unless your scalp is too sensitive for lye relaxers.

Burnt smelling hair equals burnt hair. Period. The may be using the same methods of heat but somebody is using a higher temperature. Trust me!

Thanks for this thread @dontspeakdefeat !

The last 2 inches of my ends are dry and bushy, but when I look at them, I have no split ends, are they still damaged, or just in need of moisture? I've baggy'd which helps for a few hours, but then they are brittle again. The last time I straightened my hair, my ends were sticking together (small strands wrapping around each other), and I had to finger detangle only to prevent breakage. Any suggestions?

I'm natural, 4b, BSL.
Ceemarie82

It sounds like a moisture issue. Try upping your deep conditioning regimen with a good thick conditioner and leave it on for about 30 minute each time. Use a steam if you have one.

1.What is the secret to blow drying without causing breakage at the ends?
2. If you have some hairs which are half the length of your longest strands e.g 5in (shortest) to 9in (longest), would you advise you client to cut their hair to the shortest length for an even growth process.
3.If a clients hair is quite damaged, how would you advise them to manage their hair in between salon visits?

Thank you
Leona28

1. Hold the ends of your hair while you use the tension method to blowdry the rest of the hair. The blowdry the ends last on a lower setting.

2. No I do not recommend that. There is no such thing as even growth. Hair grows at different rates on different parts of your head. Cutting even cuts progress. The uneven shorter hair WILL catch up.

3. It depends on the frenquency of the visits. If I client is coming regularly e.g. every two week then I would suggest tying the hair up nightly and using some sort of moisturizer or oil to maintain moisture in between visits.

if i go into the salon every 2 weeks for weave maintenance, can i keep my weave install in longer than 8 weeks? I want to take it out the second week of june when i'm 16 weeks post.
naija24

I do not suggest leaving your weave in longer than eight week. You will quite possibly run into matting and tangling which equals setbacks. If you must do it(and I don't suggest it) Stop shampooing your hair but keep moisturizing the hair under the weave. I hope you are not leaving it in for 16 weeks. :nono:

naija24 I do not suggest leaving your weave in longer than eight week. You will quite possibly run into matting and tangling which equals setbacks. If you must do it(and I don't suggest it) Stop shampooing your hair but keep moisturizing the hair under the weave. I hope you are not leaving it in for 16 weeks. :nono:

Do you mean I should stop washing and conditioning my hair altogether?

Started a thread on this but posting here for more traffic.... This is long but I'm having a hair crisis and really need help :(
Long story short, my mom relaxed my virgin hair the other night,

So, the back half and sides of my head is slightly overprocessed, and the top half and crown are SEVERELY undeprocessed! not only that, my hair is thin/NL and i have a little rat tail pony tail!!
i have no idea what to do. buzz cut and start over AGAIN?
for the past few days ive been cowashing, leaving Mane and tail in, applying castor oil to hair and scalp, and slicking back into a side part with a weave track added for a bun. It'd be decent if half my head wasnt curly/textured and the other half slick straight!!! i really would prefer NOT to wear wigs, its way too hot and they've been messing with my edges lately...
Any advice dontspeakdefeat ?

dontspeakdefeat - Hey Mrs. Tamika. I'm ducking as I'm posting this. Last time I saw you I was natural. I couldn't take this life anymore & didn't want to depend on heat to keep my hair straight so I relaxed. I know how you feel about relaxers so I didn't seek you out. That possibly was mistake #1.

I have the Design Essential's Low Lye Shea Butter relaxer. I asked the stylist not to relax me bone straight. She did & insisted that I'm not bone straight. My hair feels like mush when it's wet. If it wasn't for the fact that I have major density, my hair would probably look thin & sick. I want texlaxed hair!

Am I going to have to start over? Should I fire her & come back to you? :look:
Could I use a weave to grow out the bonelaxed & just texlax the leave out? I really want to remain relaxed b/c it's easier on my life as well as my wallet.

Please help. TIA...

Back