ARE you "Considering" going NATURAL?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I transitioned for 17 and a half months before BCing last July.

There are tons of pictures and a huge product list in my fotki as well.

For the ladies that are considering -- please know that a transition is more than just not relaxing your hair anymore. Your mentality about your YOUR texture, the styles you wear, the products you use, and the techniques you try will have to change if you're going to make it through. It doesn't have to happen overnight, but it is definitely a part of the process and if you can make that change your transition will be a breeze. :yep:

u have the dopest' Siggy ever!!!:yep::yep::lick:

Last edited:

French Rouge

I transitioned for 17 and a half months before BCing last July.

There are tons of pictures and a huge product list in my fotki as well.

For the ladies that are considering -- please know that a transition is more than just not relaxing your hair anymore. Your mentality about your YOUR texture, the styles you wear, the products you use, and the techniques you try will have to change if you're going to make it through. It doesn't have to happen overnight, but it is definitely a part of the process and if you can make that change your transition will be a breeze. :yep:

I checked out your fotki. Looked at your transition shots and it reminds me of my hair. I think this is the first time since deciding to go natural, I've seen someone with a similar texture, even color. It was inspiring.

libertysince05

Thanks so much for this thread!

Okay I'm hoping that I don't get snapped up for this but...

:look: My youngest daughter has 4c hair and I just don't know how to properly care for it. It's evident by the simple fact that my other daughter's all have mbl hair and her hair has been stuck at sl since she was 2 (She's 4 now). Which is a clue to me, that I'm not caring for her hair the right way.

I know many don't believe in type 4c hair, but her hair is just a huge poof. When I wash her hair the water sits on top first, before it penetrates through. I can literally brush off the water that sits on top of her hair. Even when wet, it doesn't curl up.

Her hair is extremely dry all the time, no matter what I use. It's okay when I first comb it, but by the end of the day it's a dry thirsty mess.

I've used curl activator, moisturizing conditioners, gels, shea butter, creams and nothing has worked to alleviate the dryness. :ohwell:

Any suggestions ladies?
try doing more regular dc on dry hair using cling film (saran wrap).
also use chicoro's method of moisturising: 1st apply a water based leave in (eg giovanni direct), then an oil based one (jojoba oil) then apply an emulsified lotion (this will be a moisturiser where water and oil are combined like Profectiv growth lotion). its best that these be done in sections
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=343511

Minty

Sometimes I really miss my natural and think about transitioning (BUT) I can't stand to see breakage and when I do the long stretches that breakage really gets me (no hair left behind!)

In the past I would chop - but I really can't do that anymore because I don't like short hair. My 4a/b hair would be difficult to transition for 2 years so.....it is what it is.

tonia682

I am off for the summer(teacher) and am currently transitioning/making up my mind what I want to do with my hair. My hair is well past 4b...its more like 4q:lachen:. So far I have tried my hand at various styles with various results...flexirod set:yep:....bantu set:ohwell:.....braid out with flexirods:ohwell::perplexed:nono:. I am looking to find a way for my edges to be less puffy(The real deal is coming in).Also, I am not sure what moisture products I am supposed to use. Got the oil situation down pact.....really need to know what specific moisture products to use. If I stay the course the future will be braids, quick weaves and half wigs(loving Malibu twist....it allowed me to leave my house after the braid out disaster).

chasturner84

I have considered being natural for over a year. I tried transitioning once before but it was an epic FAIL. I just posted in another thread that I joined LHCF with the intention of growing my relaxed hair longer. Now, I'm positive that I want to be natural but I do not want to BC. I'm planning on continuing to my ultimate goal of MBL and then transitioning from there. I feel that a transition with what I know now about my hair and products will make the process a little easier...or I hope it will :rolleyes:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

DO YOU LADIES THINK YOU COULD TRANSITION IN EXTENSIONS????

PREFERABLY BRAIDS??? CUT EACH TIME YOU TAKE DOWN YOUR BRAIDS???? PERFORMING THE "CROWN & GLORY METHOD"????

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I am off for the summer(teacher) and am currently transitioning/making up my mind what I want to do with my hair. My hair is well past 4b...its more like 4q:lachen:. So far I have tried my hand at various styles with various results...flexirod set:yep:....bantu set:ohwell:.....braid out with flexirods:ohwell::perplexed:nono:. I am looking to find a way for my edges to be less puffy(The real deal is coming in).Also, I am not sure what moisture products I am supposed to use. Got the oil situation down pact.....really need to know what specific moisture products to use. If I stay the course the future will be braids, quick weaves and half wigs(loving Malibu twist....it allowed me to leave my house after the braid out disaster).

THERE IS A THREAD FOR 4A/4B HAIR CONDITIONERS ON HERE

ALSO THESE MAY HELP i always thought the more slip, the easier to detangle, the less problems with fighting 2 textures http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=471488&highlight=Click
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=479072&highlight= <--type 4 for ladies (check out their moisturizers)

Last edited:

NikkiQ

^^^^^^ I'm strongly considering transitioning with sew-ins and keep them in for 2-3 months at a time. but i'm not sure how i'll be able to cowash and DC properly with it in. any suggestions???

This is my first post lurked for a month before becoming a member. My last relaxer was in February 2010. I am transitioning. My new growth is a challenge constantly dry. Trying to find a way to combat drying.

^^^^^^ I'm strongly considering transitioning with sew-ins and keep them in for 2-3 months at a time. but i'm not sure how i'll be able to cowash and DC properly with it in. any suggestions???

I don't know, which is exactly why I don't want braids. I need to be able to co-wash and DC properly as well. I don't feel I can do that with braids and such.

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Sometimes I really miss my natural and think about transitioning (BUT) I can't stand to see breakage and when I do the long stretches that breakage really gets me (no hair left behind!)

In the past I would chop - but I really can't do that anymore because I don't like short hair. My 4a/b hair would be difficult to transition for 2 years so.....it is what it is.

Woman, don't you wear a hijab? The only people who are going to see your hair is you and your family. Just do it! Don't be a chicken. :grin:

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
subscribing!! the "seed" to go natural has been planted in my head but i'm not ready yet to start adding fertilizer. something i may consider in a year or two....:sekret:

Minty

Woman, don't you wear a hijab? The only people who are going to see your hair is you and your family. Just do it! Don't be a chicken. :grin:

Let me find something for you.......[IMG]http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/sunspots1/3feethigh-1.jpg[/IMG]
If I don't finish my two strand twists - I have the three feet high and rising! :nono::nono::lachen::lachen:

Gots to keep it fly under the hijab too! :yep::yep:

I just learned how to cornrow, so we'll see. If I can keep my length and end up with shoulder length natural hair I'm all for it. (now If I could keep those pesky ssk away!)

I've got 1" of ng now and I'm setting small goals just like with running, so I'm going to try to make it to the end of the summer.

2 years ago July I did that, kept mini chopping till I finally pulled out the clippers with the #2 guard.....then in Jan with my 5" of hair went to a new Dominican stylist who burned the F* crap out of my hair - EPIC FAIL. Half my hair wouldn't revert and it smelled burnt for over a week. :wallbash::wallbash: So that's how I ended up relaxing again. The next Dom. stylist I got was recommended through LHCF and she was fabulous.

Times past I wouldn't let ANYONE touch my hair but I was feeling froggy. That was my fault.

Do I miss big hair - sure
But that baby has got to lie down like a toddler taking a nap when its time for HFG to step out baby!

I feel like I'm in a Relaxers Anon. meeting right now. :lachen::lachen:

Last edited:

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Let me find something for you.......[IMG]http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/sunspots1/3feethigh-1.jpg[/IMG]
If I don't finish my two strand twists - I have the three feet high and rising! :nono::nono::lachen::lachen:

Gots to keep it fly under the hijab too! :yep::yep:

I just learned how to cornrow, so we'll see. If I can keep my length and end up with shoulder length natural hair I'm all for it. (now If I could keep those pesky ssk away!)

I've got 1" of ng now and I'm setting small goals just like with running, so I'm going to try to make it to the end of the summer.

2 years ago July I did that, kept mini chopping till I finally pulled out the clippers with the #2 guard.....then in Jan with my 5" of hair went to a new Dominican stylist who burned the F* crap out of my hair - EPIC FAIL. Half my hair wouldn't revert and it smelled burnt for over a week. :wallbash::wallbash: So that's how I ended up relaxing again. The next Dom. stylist I got was recommended through LHCF and she was fabulous.

Times past I wouldn't let ANYONE touch my hair but I was feeling froggy. That was my fault.

Do I miss big hair - sure
But that baby has got to lie down like a toddler taking a nap when its time for HFG to step out baby!

I feel like I'm in a Relaxers Anon. meeting right now. :lachen::lachen:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

What makes that even funnier is on another board I post on, I have a e-friend that is constantly posting herself making that face to me ONLY. Why meeeee?:lachen::lachen::lachen:

beans4reezy

I am like 70 weeks post and you know what? I still cannot decide whether I should go ahead and transition to natural. My biggest concern is the upkeep. How in the world would I wear my hair everyday? But my hair looks so beautiful and supple in it's natural state, I know if I relax- I will probably regret it....

Really stuck at a crossroads here...

Minty

^^So true Beans! Just keep "transitioning" - if you are not experiencing any breakage issues, keep it going.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I really want to transition but I know I don't want to BC. My hair grows pretty slowly due to iron deficiency so it would be a 2+ year transition easily.

I don't do wigs or weaves at all and I'm wondering how I will style my hair aside from my daily bun? Even the bun is questionable because I work in a professional environment and I can't seem to slick my sides down anymore. I'm not trying to show up for meetings looking a mess because I can't handle the two textures.
Twist outs, braid outs, flexirod sets but honestly deeper into my transition those started to look crazy too but it is a start

I got one for you guys!!!

I recently decided to transition after all the motivating threads I read on LHCF and I'm only 2 months in(with a LONG way to go). I just wanted to ask around which point in the HHJ did you find the 2 different textures the hardest to deal with and what did you do to make it easier to handle? Right now I'm doing pretty good. Decent NG and its not too hard to slick down with a little juice, but I know that won't last long.

Months 6-9. I feel like this is the ugly stage. I got so frustrated but I dug in because I knew it would be so worth it in the end.

Soliel185

Twist outs, braid outs, flexirod sets but honestly deeper into my transition those started to look crazy too but it is a start

Months 6-9. I feel like this is the ugly stage. I got so frustrated but I dug in because I knew it would be so worth it in the end.

Months 7-9 were the hardest for me also. The first time I transitioned I gave in a texlaxed around month 8. I regretted it immediately and started my next transition from there.

If you want "sleek" hair, a silky scarf and a denman brush will be your BEST friend. I wore french rolls a lot with curly bangs b/c it was low tension and easier for me than a bun. ALSO - bangs will help hide frizzy edges. I know some folks are anti-cone, but for me it was very helpful to detangle with and keep me from yanking my hair. Also great - ACV rinses and Porosity Control.

For my braidouts & twistouts my results were 200% better with flat twists/cornrows vs loose ones. It keeps the roots from puffing and makes the texture more consistant IMO.

Ladies that are worried about moisturizers - don't underestimate good ol water. With the proper sealing it will give you soft supple hair, even at the demarcation line. :yep: My moisturizing routine while transitioning (in sections)

1. spritz with watery leave in - i.e water mixed with aloe vera juice & vegetable glycerine. this is a homemade version of "juice" like S-curl or Stay Soft Fro.

2. Apply creamy leave in like NTM Soft Touch, ORS Olive Oil, or even a diluted regular con like Suave Tropical Coconut. You may want to experiment with a few to find the one that works best for you.

3. Seal with a natural oil. I LOVE coconut oil mixed with Olive Oil for a lighter combo, and then finishing it off with a dab of castor oil concentrated on the ends. :lick:

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Months 7-9 were the hardest for me also. The first time I transitioned I gave in a texlaxed around month 8. I regretted it immediately and started my next transition from there.

If you want "sleek" hair, a silky scarf and a denman brush will be your BEST friend. I wore french rolls a lot with curly bangs b/c it was low tension and easier for me than a bun. ALSO - bangs will help hide frizzy edges. I know some folks are anti-cone, but for me it was very helpful to detangle with and keep me from yanking my hair. Also great - ACV rinses and Porosity Control.

For my braidouts & twistouts my results were 200% better with flat twists/cornrows vs loose ones. It keeps the roots from puffing and makes the texture more consistant IMO.

Ladies that are worried about moisturizers - don't underestimate good ol water. With the proper sealing it will give you soft supple hair, even at the demarcation line. :yep: My moisturizing routine while transitioning (in sections)

1. spritz with watery leave in - i.e water mixed with aloe vera juice & vegetable glycerine. this is a homemade version of "juice" like S-curl or Stay Soft Fro.

2. Apply creamy leave in like NTM Soft Touch, ORS Olive Oil, or even a diluted regular con like Suave Tropical Coconut. You may want to experiment with a few to find the one that works best for you.

3. Seal with a natural oil. I LOVE coconut oil mixed with Olive Oil for a lighter combo, and then finishing it off with a dab of castor oil concentrated on the ends. :lick:

NOT SURE WHAT U DO... BUT U REALLY COULD MODEL
"U'VE GOT THE RIGHT STUFF BAEBAA!" (sorry)

If nothing else.... you're an extremely beautiful commercial model, the hair, the smile in your siggy/avatar screem personality
I have several friends who still do video & hair modeling (yah they're video hoochies) lol.... but we all did it for awhile in school

NikkiQ

^^^^^ I agree. Great advice! I've been wearing lace fronts lately and decided to switch to a phony bun as I like to call it. I'm rounding the 10 week mark and my waves are pretty obvious these days. Everyone loved them at work, but they don't know how hard it was to get them to stay nice and slick :lachen:

here is my poor little slick back job towards the end of the work day.

Attachments

• new grow.jpg
    new grow.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 11

Soliel185

NOT SURE WHAT U DO... BUT U REALLY COULD MODEL
"U'VE GOT THE RIGHT STUFF BAEBAA!" (sorry)

If nothing else.... you're an extremely beautiful commercial model, the hair, the smile in your siggy/avatar screem personality
I have several friends who still do video & hair modeling (yah they're video hoochies) lol.... but we all did it for awhile in school

awww thank you! In this economy I might look into it. Mama needs a vacation! :lachen::spinning:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

awww thank you! In this economy I might look into it. Mama needs a vacation! :lachen::spinning:

i wasn't gasing you.... even as a side gig you do very well....The hair pics are amazing. My friend Kasheia has been on several relaxer boxes for years! And more videos than you can name... to be a string bing! lol
But I'd look at contacting some companies an sending head shots! "ESPECIALLY HAIR COMPANIES.... AND ADS"<--- VERY EASY TO GET THOSE JOBS REALLY
THEY LOVE HEALTHY & VOLUMINOUS HAIR!