Are most AA Celebs Natural?

aloof one

No offense, but it looks like the "marketing tactics" worked on you...:yep:

This website debunks the whole long hair myth. True, she may have a curlier texture, I am not debating that, I am speaking about celebs as a whole. I know for a fact there are a slew of 4B's who would love for their fans to believe they are 3C or "higher". All more to add to the illusion and mystique of celebs being "better" than the average. Its all good though.

Youre so right. There are a lotta 4as/4bs that relax bone straight or texturize or even do special roller sets (to make it look 3c, etc) and wanna act like their hair was comin outta their head that way. Plenty. Michael Jackson for one--- this dude had a 4b afro, then suddenly a texlaxed SL mane with a black rinse... then one day he decided to be bone straight :sad: It looks pretty well-maintained (is this a weave) but we all know he didn't come out that way...:nono:

YoungWavey

No offense, but it looks like the "marketing tactics" worked on you...:yep:

This website debunks the whole long hair myth. True, she may have a curlier texture, I am not debating that, I am speaking about celebs as a whole. I know for a fact there are a slew of 4B's who would love for their fans to believe they are 3C or "higher". All more to add to the illusion and mystique of celebs being "better" than the average. Its all good though.

Oh wow:nono:

glamazon386

When I was in Walmart today I seen Ashanti on a black hair magazine...They were asking her questions about how she takes care of her hair...When the interviewer asked what kind of relaxer she used...Ashanti says she doesn't and thats she's natural but she flat irons her hair.Or sometimes she just goes to the doms. salons for a quick doobie.That her hair is really long and it gets in the way:)rolleyes:wateva lol) so she puts in cornrows. She just using weaves to try something different..

My question is Do you think most AA Celebs are natural?

I don't think most celebs are. But Ashanti has type 3 hair. And it was about shoulder length when she came out. So I believe she probably is natural. She does wear weaves and lacefronts though. Most entertainers do. That brown hair on her second album was a lacefront.

glamazon386

Youre so right. There are a lotta 4as/4bs that relax bone straight or texturize or even do special roller sets (to make it look 3c, etc) and wanna act like their hair was comin outta their head that way. Plenty. Michael Jackson for one--- this dude had a 4b afro, then suddenly a texlaxed SL mane with a black rinse... then one day he decided to be bone straight :sad: It looks pretty well-maintained (is this a weave) but we all know he didn't come out that way...:nono:

MJ Wears a lacefront. :look:

chicacanella

I just can't believe we have got to the point where it is so hard to believe that Black women have different hair textures that are actually natural. If people on here have different textures, why is it so hard to believe that black women in Hollywood have different textures?

And yeah, it is true that Beyonce is a natural 3c, Gabriel Union is a natural 4a or b, Ashanti natural 3b, Janet Jackson seems to be a 3c/4a and also Queen Latifah is natural too.

DeepBluSea

I don't know about most, but more than most people would think.

Recently, I saw pics of a natural Michelle (from DC), and Solange (rocking a TWA!), so that really made me wonder about some of these celebs. I don't know if it's true, but I also heard that Beyonce was natural!

It's really hard to tell who's natural or not in Hollywood. Most celebs are constantly weaved (or wigged) up, and the ones who aren't, and are natural, wear their hair pressed out (like with Ashanti), so it's still hard to tell.[/quote]

ITA. With all the weaves and wigs, it is hard to tell. That's why I don't trust any celeb selling hair products or make up. They prolly not using it for real. I would rather get advice from regular women.

OneInAMillion

ITA with Smitge about the marketing ploys. Everytime I read the black hair magazines, all of those celebs say they are natural :rolleyes:. And that may be the case, but why don't they just say they wear weaves, pieces, whatever. Of course, they gotta play into that celeb mystique and act like they have long hair but they don't want to ruin it. PLEASE.

Ashanti may very well be natural tho (I'm not up in her scalp so I don't know). I just know i was natural and wore a press for 19 years and I was constantly accused of having a relaxer. I could never understand it, because I wasn't sure why you would like about that.

glamazon386

ITA with Smitge about the marketing ploys. Everytime I read the black hair magazines, all of those celebs say they are natural :rolleyes:. And that may be the case, but why don't they just say they wear weaves, pieces, whatever. Of course, they gotta play into that celeb mystique and act like they have long hair but they don't want to ruin it. PLEASE.

Ashanti may very well be natural tho (I'm not up in her scalp so I don't know). I just know i was natural and wore a press for 19 years and I was constantly accused of having a relaxer. I could never understand it, because I wasn't sure why you would like about that.

Right. I don't see what the big deal is. Why would they say they're natural if they're not? We all know the majority of black women relax their hair. If I had a celeb stylist doing my weave and wigs every day I wouldn't relax anymore either. What's the point? Nobody is seeing your hair. Also to the wig/weave thing ya'll know people try to be hush about it. It's like they know it's weave. We know it's weave. But they don't come right out and say it is. It's just an assumption kind of thing.

chicacanella

I think Ashanti does have long hair and Gabrielle Union. Latifah does too but she wore a lf in one of her movies. The one with LL Cool J.

The only reason I know about Ashanti is because I saw a pic of her when she was little and right before she became famous. I think her hair was between APL and BSL.

Queen Latifah has like APL and I think Gabrielle Union does too.

I don't know about the other ones.

But about the pressing, you actually can have your hair trained to behave like a relaxer after pressing for a certain amount of time. I wouldn't recommend it cause it may damage the cuticle and even be worse or the same as relaxers.

hothair

I think Ashanti does have long hair and Gabrielle Union. Latifah does too but she wore a lf in one of her movies. The one with LL Cool J.

The only reason I know about Ashanti is because I saw a pic of her when she was little and right before she became famous. I think her hair was between APL and BSL.

Queen Latifah has like APL and I think Gabrielle Union does too.

I don't know about the other ones.

But about the pressing, you actually can have your hair trained to behave like a relaxer after pressing for a certain amount of time. I wouldn't recommend it cause it may damage the cuticle and even be worse or the same as relaxers.

:yep: a family friend of mine with 4b hair does this, I personally think its more damaging but her hair is OK, it could be fuller and healthier but its not busted looking :lol:

glamazon386

That ain't nothin but some heat damage. They have burned their hair straight. :nono:

aloof one

MJ Wears a lacefront. :look:

lol no he didnt! :::snaps fingers:::

lol now that i think about it... a lotta folks wear lacefronts. Tyra has one and its too obvious at times. Its a damn shame Michaels lacefront looked better than hers. His edges were on point compared to hers too :perplexed...

Ganjababy

Khalia27
vbmenu_register("postmenu_2956599", true);
My Mood:

Re: Are most AA Celebs Natural?
I think many of them are natural. When I read the hair magazines so many of them say "I don't use chemicals in my hair" - I just figure they wear weaves to accomplish the looks they have.

I think Beyonce is natural - I've seen a couple of pics of her with what looked like her own natural hair. I also read an article where her mother described how they grew out her relaxer and how long it took.

I know she's in a better place, but I remember seeing Aaliyah perform in Florida and her hair was puffing up due to the weather. She was doing a radio interview once and someone said they didn't believe she had natural hair and she lifted up her hair and showed them the burn marks from her press to prove it, lol.

I have heard many celeb/models say they wear wigs/weaves because the constant styling of their hair eventually leads to damage. I remember Aaliyah saying in an interview (just before she died) that she did not wear weaves initially but the constant styling of her hair caused damage and her hair fell out so she decided to wear weave as a protective measure

NYAmicas

Seeker
That ain't nothin but some heat damage. They have burned their hair straight. :nono:

I've heard some naturals say that can happen and sometimes it stops them from getting their hair pressed or flat ironed. How come some naturals can do this without it burning straight and some cant?

If I was a celeb I would most likely go natural but then again I dont think my natural hair even under a weave would look good-my natural hair is way too coarse and thick.

SilkyandSmooth

I have heard many celeb/models say they wear wigs/weaves because the constant styling of their hair eventually leads to damage. I remember Aaliyah saying in an interview (just before she died) that she did not wear weaves initially but the constant styling of her hair caused damage and her hair fell out so she decided to wear weave as a protective measure.

I remember reading the same thing too. (I was very much into hair magazines back then). Aaliyah's hair was relaxed and real when she first came out. She went natural between the first and second albums b/c I remember reading around the time of the second album that she pressed her hair every two weeks. You can actually see her hair puffing up in one of her videos. She was standing in the rain.

I also believe that Ashanti, Beyonce and QL are natural.

glamazon386

I've heard some naturals say that can happen and sometimes it stops them from getting their hair pressed or flat ironed. How come some naturals can do this without it burning straight and some cant?

It depends on the condition of the hair, the products used, if they use a flat iron or hot comb, how hot the heat appliance is. I think most of the time it's the products, appliances and the technique though. My hairdresser told me that hot combs are worse and to go with the flat iron because the little teeth pull your hair straight and if its a stove iron you can't control the temperature. Also that the hot comb makes your hair too straight to the point you can't do anything with it. So that's why I won't use a hot comb. But there are plenty of people who swear by them. Any appliance that is too hot can burn your hair straight though. If you see smoke or smell burning hair, your hair is being burned. You would think that most stylists would know how to do it without burning your hair but some dont. Or they just don't care.

glamazon386

lol no he didnt! :::snaps fingers:::

lol now that i think about it... a lotta folks wear lacefronts. Tyra has one and its too obvious at times. Its a damn shame Michaels lacefront looked better than hers. His edges were on point compared to hers too :perplexed...

Yeah but Tyra ain't got that MJ money either. And she probably doesn't wear as much makeup as he does. And that white lace probably blends with his skin better. :look::lachen:

Bint Yusef

Yes I have seen this happen. An acquaintance of mine is probably a 3c/4a and she has MBL hair that is trained straight from using a hotcomb. While Im inclined to say its heat damange, simply because it doesnt revert, its not in bad condition at all. She has been hotcombing it for years and using aphogee to keep it strong. Its not as straight as a relaxer but its very very close.

Maynard

I just can't believe we have got to the point where it is so hard to believe that Black women have different hair textures that are actually natural. If people on here have different textures, why is it so hard to believe that black women in Hollywood have different textures?

And yeah, it is true that Beyonce is a natural 3c, Gabriel Union is a natural 4a or b, Ashanti natural 3b, Janet Jackson seems to be a 3c/4a and also Queen Latifah is natural too.

I am not saying that there arent different textures, all I am saying is dont believe the hype that everybody is natural. True there are some 3's but there damn well are some 4's out there too.

Take this into account. Lacefronts just came out pretty much. You think that 20-30 years ago, all those celebs hair was natural? Not every celeb is natural and not every one is relaxed. Not debating any one in particular. Hollywood is a representation of women across the US with the help of makeup, and some movie tricks.

glamazon386

Also, another thing to thing about is that everybody doesn't have the same definition of natural either. Some people think that it they only leave the relaxer on for a few minutes or if they use a texturizer that they're still natural. Or if they only relax twice a year they're 50% natural or something like that. Which isn't true.

chicacanella

It depends on the condition of the hair, the products used, if they use a flat iron or hot comb, how hot the heat appliance is. I think most of the time it's the products, appliances and the technique though. My hairdresser told me that hot combs are worse and to go with the flat iron because the little teeth pull your hair straight and if its a stove iron you can't control the temperature. Also that the hot comb makes your hair too straight to the point you can't do anything with it. So that's why I won't use a hot comb. But there are plenty of people who swear by them. Any appliance that is too hot can burn your hair straight though. If you see smoke or smell burning hair, your hair is being burned. You would think that most stylists would know how to do it without burning your hair but some dont. Or they just don't care.

Yep, they call it trainning your hair. But I tell alot of naturals, don't know if you can call it natural but anyways, that the pressing comb is actually no better than a chemical. I would dare say that it is a chemical process if you have straightened your cuticle to the point where it no longer becomes curly when wet, damp, etc.:nono:

chicacanella

I am not saying that there arent different textures, all I am saying is dont believe the hype that everybody is natural. True there are some 3's but there damn well are some 4's out there too.

Take this into account. Lacefronts just came out pretty much. You think that 20-30 years ago, all those celebs hair was natural? Not every celeb is natural and not every one is relaxed. Not debating any one in particular. Hollywood is a representation of women across the US with the help of makeup, and some movie tricks.

oh, i agree. i don't want you to think i was responding to you but cause that post was meant for someone else.:yep:

yeah, i mentioned some 4a/bs like gabby.

chicacanella

i don't know why women who press religiously with excessive amounts of heat claim they are natural. Did you come out your mother's womb with a press and curl?:ohwell: They will be like, "uh, uh girl. I'm natural." like they've ARRIVED or something. Their hair will be straighter than relaxed indian remy weave hair.

This kind of pressing, I don't consider natural.:nono:

tenjoy

Its called texturizing. IMO all that hotcombing is more damaging than a relaxer/texturizer done correctly.

I dont believe that most are natural.

My question, why do there kids hair always have the most perfect ringlets, or wave (excluding whitney houston daughter)? I think they texturize them too.

Kimberly

I think most AA celebs wear FAKE hair so you will NEVER know what's unerneath!

It's fun to me that Tyra Banks talks about her "weave" all the time on her show when she is really wearing a lacefront "wig". I guess in her mind a "weave" is more acceptable than a "wig":blush:

That's funny to me too....but I guess most of her audience can't tell the diffference otherwise she'd stop telling that tale...

OneInAMillion

i don't know why women who press religiously with excessive amounts of heat claim they are natural. Did you come out your mother's womb with a press and curl?:ohwell: They will be like, "uh, uh girl. I'm natural." like they've ARRIVED or something. Their hair will be straighter than relaxed indian remy weave hair.

This kind of pressing, I don't consider natural.:nono:

I don't think women who frequently press mean that their hair is "naturally straight" when they say that they are natural. I think they mean "free of chemicals". That's what natural means to me, but to each her own I suppose. When I was natural, I definitely had my hair pressed constantly. While it probably was heat damaged (or trained as my stylist would say...all the same thing just depends on your goal), I know for a fact that it was NOT straight and did not look like my relaxed/texturized hair does now. JMO.

glamazon386

That's funny to me too....but I guess most of her audience can't tell the diffference otherwise she'd stop telling that tale...

She did say something about a wig on one episode. I forgot who the guest was but they were talking about being sexy if you're staying over your mans house. And she was saying that she would tie the scarf like a bandana and let the rest hang down in the back. Because that way if your wig same loose the scarf would keep it on. And the guest asked her could she put her wig on herself and she said yeah she can do it and it doesn't take long. I think the celebs were trying to be hush hush about the lacefronts at first. Even still a lot of people don't know about them. Beyonce has been wearing them for a few years now but always referred to it as weave.