APL 2012 Challenge

livinthevida

@livinthevida,

Thanks for that but my ends really are thin. They only look nice when gathered, like in the ponytail or pulled to the center. As for no heat, i only use direct heat no more than 5 times per year. My nape is the problem. For many years, it was over processed, dry and broken. it's just now showing signs of significant growth but It'll never catch up to the rest of my hair. See the picture below:

View attachment 157295

My nape is just SL while the other hairs are almost APL. I will eventually have to cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
Ah yes @KiWiStyle I see! How is your reggie these days? Is there something you have added recently to help see improvement and new signs of growth?

Realhairdontcare

Just tried to post a pic but I will wait til I get to a computer because the app is giving me problems smh.

Last edited:

Fyne

Looking forward to seeing all the lovely progress ladies x
Sorry no one to take a proper length check pic for me this time!

Hair is growing thick before length again :look: but finally past collerbone length so I'm pleased :yep::

Attachments

• IMG-20120630-00098.jpg
    IMG-20120630-00098.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 47

growbaby

K so I decided to post pics of my sides which aren't APL (can anyone say loophole? Lol) they are about CBL so I'm hoping for them to be scraping APL by our next check-in :yep:

Left side:

image-3302430588.jpg

Right side:

image-2513578327.jpg

-ninja out

lamaria211

livinthevida said:
It's Length :yay: :yay: :yay:Check Day!!!! WOOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!

Ladies here are my length check pictures!!! :
1. the first one is a pull test with one strand (look how flexible I am!! :lol:)
2. the second one is a pull test with a bit more hair
3. the third one is my hair when soaking wet
4. the last one is my hair air dried and brushed with my new Denman 9-Row Hair Brush

Congrats your hair is pretty:)

3jsmom

Moving to District 13
Here are my pics, I just deep con and washed. I have mainly been pinning my hair up b/c it is just darn HOT!!!! I am rollersetting tonight and I am dreading getting under dryer b/c I know if not it will not be dry if I air dry.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120630_213902.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120630_213902.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 39
  • ForumRunner_20120630_213944.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120630_213944.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 39

lamaria211

NikkiQ said:
I think after my shower I'm going to flat iron just a little piece in the back and take a pic so I can compare it to a flat iron job at the end of the year :yep:

Trying to stay positive right now. APL when I pull in the front, but not in the back. oy vey! :lol:

Im the total opposite im Apl in the back and not the front!

Seamonster

livinthevida :congrats: you are well on your way to BSL, make sure you start posting there as well

I cut so I am no where near APL, I left one little tail in the back, and I don't see any progress since March
March Length

May Length

June Length Check
[URL=http://lunapic.com] [/URL]

afrofaithful

Is everyone striving for full APL? I kind of like the tapered look. Shorter (business) in the front, long (party) in the back, no mullet though! lol I guess I'm just so used to having swoopy bangs. I'm finally growing them out and they are down to my chin. My back is APL though. I miss my bangs :( I just don't know what would be the purpose of keeping them if I'm natural now...

xu93texas

KiWiStyle,
You did a great job flat ironing your hair. I love the updo and the flower. :grin: Your hair is growing! Are you going to trim your with the next relaxer?

Phaer

afrofaithful said:
Is everyone striving for full APL? I kind of like the tapered look. Shorter (business) in the front, long (party) in the back, no mullet though! lol I guess I'm just so used to having swoopy bangs. I'm finally growing them out and they are down to my chin. My back is APL though. I miss my bangs :( I just don't know what would be the purpose of keeping them if I'm natural now...

Full apl to me means, when I pull the back of my hair the part that reaches apl should not be thin, that is my goal. I think you can keep bangs even being natural, I've seen some cute styles where the front was shorter.

Phaer

Ladies :don't forget your Porosity control! My hair has been acting funny for the past few months, if I pulled a few strands to do a lenght check, invariably, I would notice broken hairs strands in my hands, at first, I though it was because I was over moisturizing (may be part of the issue, because I totally forgot about protein) so I started doing protein treatments (aphogee 2 minutes left on for 30). After a couple of treatments I was still having breakages and my hair felt rough. I was on the verge of doing a hard protein treatment, trying to decide if that will make my hair rougher, when i remember I still had a bottle of PC. So I did the aphogee for two minutes and left the PC on for a while. As soon as I rinsed it off, my hair felt superb! I was in love with my hair again. I style using Mozeke coconut kokum hair milk (really helped the detangljng process) and the mango cupuacu holding butter (which I now have to figure out how to make, since she's discontinued that product), a week later I am still loving my hair! I wore a braid out today, and can't keep my hands out of my hair, and so far, no breakage.

Tomorrow I am finally going to do the crotchet braids, as a treatment for hand in hair disease.

claud-uk

Tomorrow is picture day!!

OMG, you must be so excited!!!!! :grin:

It's Length :yay: :yay: :yay:Check Day!!!! WOOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!​

Look again - you're waaay past APL :lol: , well done girl :spinning:

Here's my Length Check for June! This is my hair fresh out the shower. I can see I'm about 2" from full APL. :yay: So, definitely need to take my vits every night, and stay consistent. Oh, and stay Far away from that ghatdamned Denman brush. :yep:

MrsJaiDiva - You're closer than you think, it's only about 1". And throw that g-dam brush away :lol:

Thank You MeowMix! WOW! 1cm already!!! Now THAT's the kind hair growth we like to hear :lol:

You're funny, lol!

Is everyone striving for full APL?

^^^ afrofaithful I'm going for my shortest lengths being APL before I claim (at the front, currently nose-length). I still haven't reached SL yet and I'm in the MBL challenge already, can you picture my mullet???!!! :lol

Ladies :don't forget your Porosity control! My hair has been acting funny for the past few months, if I pulled a few strands to do a lenght check, invariably, I would notice broken hairs strands in my hands, at first, I though it was because I was over moisturizing (may be part of the issue, because I totally forgot about protein) so I started doing protein treatments (aphogee 2 minutes left on for 30). After a couple of treatments I was still having breakages and my hair felt rough. I was on the verge of doing a hard protein treatment, trying to decide if that will make my hair rougher, when i remember I still had a bottle of PC. So I did the aphogee for two minutes and left the PC on for a while. As soon as I rinsed it off, my hair felt superb! I was in love with my hair again. I style using Mozeke coconut kokum hair milk (really helped the detangljng process) and the mango cupuacu holding butter (which I now have to figure out how to make, since she's discontinued that product), a week later I am still loving my hair! I wore a braid out today, and can't keep my hands out of my hair, and so far, no breakage.

^^^ Thanks Phaer, I haven't done one of these in at least a month, I needed that reminder :thumbsup:

That would be the Argan oil/Ceremide rich oil mix :grin:

^^^ Fyne yummy! :lick: :lol:

KiWiStyle - your updo is beautiful, if you don't mind i'm saving your pic for when i can do those styles! And honestly, Any progress is Good progress, it would be horrible to think that after all those weeks of work your hair was shorter than before, that wouldn't be nice, so I'm cheering you on.​

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Full apl to me means, when I pull the back of my hair the part that reaches apl should not be thin, that is my goal. I think you can keep bangs even being natural, I've seen some cute styles where the front was shorter.

afrofaithful, Phaer, claud-uk

I'm going for full APL as well. I want to be firmly APL...not clutching 5 hairs, and trying to claim it. :grin: So, another 2-3 inches, and I'll be full APL! :drunk:

jprayze

[USER=198888]afrofaithful[/USER] said:

You are just like me! Im natural but wear my hair straight a lot. I've been wearing a swoopy or feathery bang for a long time. It keeps getting longer. Even as it continues to grow I like shorter fame framing layers in the front. So while I won't continue to cut the bangs, just trim as necessary...I'm not focused on them bring APL. They will get there eventually and I will enjoy them while they last!

Here's a pic of my bang action!!! This pic was from early June.

ForumRunner_20120701_083515.jpg

jprayze

Grrr...I had to get another trim!!! My ends were pretty crazy tho. I don't think the last trim (beg of June) took off enough at a time. I guess he was scared of what I would do if he took much off! Lol

I will post a new pic soon...maybe when I do my hair this am.

NikkiQ you may have to UNGraduate me after this trim :-( We'll see...

mami2010

Good morning ladies I'm dc'ing now. I will roller set when I'm done dc'ing, then flat iron and post my pics later.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
claud-uk said:
KiWiStyle - your updo is beautiful, if you don't mind i'm saving your pic for when i can do those styles! And honestly, Any progress is Good progress, it would be horrible to think that after all those weeks of work your hair was shorter than before, that wouldn't be nice, so I'm cheering you on.

claud-uk,

Thank you! I don't mind at all, I'm always stealing pictures of beautiful styles to duplicate on my own head.

KiWiStyle

Realtor & Foodie
xu93texas said:
KiWiStyle,
You did a great job flat ironing your hair. I love the updo and the flower. :grin: Your hair is growing! Are you going to trim your with the next relaxer?

xu93texas,
Thanks Chica! I didn't get my roots relaxer straight because I had the setting on very low to accommodate my length. I really don't see much growth, maybe I'm being growth greedy ;-). There is no way I will claim APL with my thin hemline, I'm going to have to make a decision to cut, not trim them off to where my nape is. I'm hesitant because all I do is protective styles; my braid, buns and updo's, I won't be able to do them anymore until it grows back out. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Maybe the best thing to do is trim a little at a time; maybe an inch with every relaxer and not my nape.

Last edited:

livinthevida

@afrofaithful I'm aiming for full APL this year! I'll continue to check in with our fellow APL Ninjas as Vida Ninja to December 31, 2012! Full APL for me is when all of my hair (completely air dried) falls naturally at APL (or beyond!) :rocker:

I am planning on incorporating a dryer into my reggie very soon yet I have no flat iron or blow dryer to heat straight so a good ol' fashion pull test does it ;)

lovebug10

I was actually too lazy to rollerset my hair. I managed to remove some of the crunchyness I was experiencing from air drying. My hair LOVES the hairveda whipped ends & the vatika frosting. I can only use it after airdrying because it weighs down my rollerset hair. I'm going to try airdrying for the next few weeks to see if there is a method that will work for me. Anyways... here's my pic. I'm almost embarrased to post it. Its the same (maybe a little shorter) than my original. I realized that I need tie my hair up EVERY NIGHT and M&S EVERY DAY. I'm also going to prioritize washing and DC treatments every week. I usually skip the DC out of lazyness. I know I can do it. I just need to work. I will be using Bee Mine Growth Serum w/ sulfur every night as well.

Hopefully it gives me the boost I need to make it to APL!

livinthevida

:grouphug3: Thank You Ladies!:bighug:

It's amazing to look back at where I started in January 2012 and see where my scalp and hair is today! You all know I could not have made these kind of lengths without first having your solid advice! I'll continue to check in so shout me out every now and then & I'll cloak in :grin:

Thank YOUUUUUUUUU for all the good humor and making the start of my HHJ a worthwhile one :love2: