APL`13 Challenge

Growingmyhairlong

I am very interested in joining the group. I been a lurker for to long now I need to join in on the fun and set some real challenges for my goals.

Current hair length: I am slightly past shoulder length
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: I am texlaxed switching to relaxed
Goal Month I plan on reaching APL by the summer of 2013
Current Reggie and styling choices: I wear braid outs almost daily and I wear my hair up in a bun maybe two three times out of the week. I use heat once every three months (unless it’s a special occasion). I wash and deep condition my hair every two weeks. I cowash my hair weekly.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? : What I will change is my protective styling. I will wear braids, buns, or wigs throughout my journey and wear my hair out on occasion. If I am wearing buns I might wear my hair out once or twice a week to give it a break. If it’s cold outside I will wear my wigs or braids. I will do search and destroys weekly. I will also begin to oil my scalp and ends on a regular basis. I have been thinking about starting with my amla and cassia treatments again. I will keep you posted if I change that. I think to keep me motivated I might start a fotki album so that I can see my growth progress.
Post a beginning picture: I won’t be able to post pics because I am at work. I will post some later

3jsmom

Moving to District 13
[*]Current hair length
[*]Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
[*]Goal Month
[*]Current Reggie and styling choices
[*]What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
[*]Post a beginning

I am in....I am joining b/c I doubt I will fully get to APL this year, I am relaxed, by May of 3013, I plan on keeping up with my regi better

LovLeeLaDee

quirkydimples said:
Mango was a summer scent. My next order will have fig and pumpkin.

If I DC before I don't do anything after Wen. For example, I'll get up in the morning and slather on my DC, put on a plastic cap, then a bandana. Next, I'll run 3-4 miles. Then, I'll come home, stretch, shower, rinse, Wen, then do whatever I'm going to do to my hair. If it's during the week, I'll put it on when I get home after work and rinse after I put my son to bed, but before my husband and I eat dinner.

With this routine I'm starting to think I might be able to do a super-long stretch, like six month. But, I'm also not going to get ahead of myself.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Thank you for the info! It's hard to believe I won't need anything else, especially when I just bought a bunch of other products I want to use.
Good luck with your stretch, I don't have any info to offer to help your stretches other than trying the cassia. Can't wait till you try it, it may just be what you need. Where did you order yours?

LovLeeLaDee

Welcome Angelinhell, Growingmyhairlong, & 3jsmom!

From one former lurker to others contemplating joining, come on out! It's better on this side! lol

I'm sittin here under the dryer feelin like my head weighs 30lbs with this henna on my hair plus a towel and bag! Only thing I hate about this process is cleaning up after the rinse out. But it's sooo worth it!
I'm going to try indigo for the first time, so my hair can match my new half wig. I ordered a 2 but got my second choice, which was a 1, so it's too dark for my hair. I hope all goes well, I'll let y'all know my results.

SincerelyBeautiful

image-660031748.jpg

Here is my starting pic. I guess I can say I'm APL but its not full APL and my front is still not quite there so I'm still in this challenge . If I can retain this length and keep stretching my relaxers to 20 weeks, I may graduate early lol. I know I can do this!!!

AtlantaJJ

I'll post more later, but I plan to flat iron my hair or at least do a blow-out around Christmas (I'm natural). This is a perfect challenge because I'm a little past collar bone now in the back. I have layers so I don't think my top layer will be APL by the end of 2013, but my bottom layers should make it!!

I'm using Ayurveda to grow and retain my hair now, I will continue through 2013.

Thanks so much for the challenge, pictures to follow.

BEAUTYU2U

Thanks to all the new challengers! I'll be tagging you in the Challenger's List as soon as I can get to a laptop, I've been on my phone (lol) Let me know if there's anything you need!

BEAUTYU2U

Has anyone tried CON argan oil intensive conditioning treatment??? Do you like it?? Do you use on dry hair of after washing?? I got a free sample and I want to try it!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

SincerelyBeautiful - I tried it several months ago. It was nothing to write home about. My hair felt about the same as before I used it. I used it on freshly washed hair. If you're looking for a cheapie conditioning treatment pack, I would grab the ORS instead.

Deziyah

Welcome MeowMix!! This is my first challenge and I hope I don't flunk!! Lol! I'm doing a long term transition from relaxed to natural w/out the bc and it seems like my ng is loving my reggie but the relaxed part is kind of iffy on it.. But with all you ladies support I know I'll make it!!

youwillrise

BEAUTYU2U,

every time i see your signature picture i start singing:

soft kitty
warm kitty
little ball of fur
happy kitty
sleepy kitty
purr purr purrrrrr

in my head. thanks...A LOT! : P

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
So I used Aphogee 2 Minute after shampooing with Elasta QP C&C Shampoo. I felt my hair needed a protein boost since my shed hairs stretch a lot and none of my products contain protein. I didn't follow it up with a moisturizing DC because my hair didn't really feel that stringy/dry like it did with the Creme of Nature Professional Nourishing & Strengthening Treatment. I applied my leave in and sealed as usual. Hoping I will see less breakage. I'm wondering if I should have clarified first...I don't think I use many products. But my products do contain cones. I spritz every other day with my water/oil/conditioner mix and seal my ends with oil leading up to wash day. But I do use shampoo about once a week, so I think that should remove any buildup.

I will be styling in my usual twists and pinning them up in an updo of some sort...will scour Youtube for ideas in a minute. I think I will keep this set in for two weeks and just continue to use my water/oil/conditioner spritz. I simply don't feel like messing with my hair next week. I'm hoping to retain another inch before the year ends, bringing my length to about 8 inches. I also dusted my ends today so hopefully that helps a bit.

CoiledByNature

Oh please sign me up !! I'm new to EVER CARING ABOUT MY HAIR, but I got like a sudden burst of interest in the last 2 weeks..
Currently collar bone length
Currently learning about different things to create my regimen
Can't post pics just yet but will be soon .

Angelinhell

It's soooo good to be back with aphogee. I rollerset my hair and there was not ONE broken hair on my shirt or the sink. Was there going to be a protein challenge? I don't think I'll be reaching for Humecto for a long time.

petitefille

Current hair length

Shoulder length

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning

Natural

Goal Month

December

Current Reggie and styling choices

Protective style in twists for 3-4 weeks
Moisturize daily with aloe vera juice, water and glycerin spray
Scalp massage nightly with Njoy's sulphur mix
Wash bi-weekly or monthly by mixing a dime-sized amount of Giovanni shampoo with water in a pointed-nozzle bottle and targeting the scalp while hair is in twists
Remove twists with aloe vera mix and EVOO (followed by shampoo)
Deep condition with Silk Elements mixed with EVOO and Vitamin E oil
Kimmaytube's leave-in post conditioning
Multi vitamin, biotin, B12, and iron daily
Finger detangling
Healthy diet

Drink green tea/matcha or bamboo tea daily
Exercise and yoga

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?

All the things mentioned above! I use healthy hair care practices sometimes, but I haven't been consistent, and I think that's why I haven't seen growth. It's important that I'm consistent with iron and yoga, because I'm anemic and I'm a highly stressed person, so my hair falls out a lot.

Post a beginning picture

Although this photo is from May 2011, my hair has not gained any length since then.

Attachments

• hair6.jpg
    hair6.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 48

TeeBee

I really want in on this challenge. My focus for my hair in 2013 is on the length of my hair in its unstretched state. While my hair at the moment is grazing BSL, stretched...My ultimate goal is to have full APL curly/unstretched hair. Sooo, I hope that still counts?? (Please, please, puh lease)
[*]Current hair length
Shoulder length-curly
[*]Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Transitioning
Natural
[*]Goal Month
Ehh, June? Want some serious hang time on my wngs for summer!
Wash/cowash weekly. Deep Condition like crazy. Low maintenance styling..braid outs and buns.
Pay closer attention to my ends. Prevent knots and splits. Keep up with trims. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!!

I'll post a pic once I wash this weekend.

LovLeeLaDee

Welcome newcomers! Our thread is gonna be poppin'! Good luck to us all! I am sure we will all make it and strive to make sure we all do!

Meanwhile, I did my henna friday, slept in it overnight, rinsed with a cheapie VO5 moisture milk condish, followed by my first indigo app. I don't see much difference, just a darker red tint to my hair. Needless to say, my hair doesn't match my wig now, I may need to use a rinse(yikes). I followed up with wen(experiment), then DC with Nexxus Humectress & heat. Rinsed out and applied aloe vera to my ends for the night. Sunday I M&S'd with one n only argan oil. Still in my beauteous celies!

Here's my poof after henna

image-2654699665.jpg

Please Xcuse my Henna shirt. Use a regular raggedy shirt if your hair is past SL, just a lil tip! Lighting isn't that great to display my shine!

LovLeeLaDee

TeeBee said:
I really want in on this challenge. My focus for my hair in 2013 is on the length of my hair in its unstretched state. While my hair at the moment is grazing BSL, stretched...My ultimate goal is to have full APL curly/unstretched hair. Sooo, I hope that still counts?? (Please, please, puh lease)
[*]Current hair length
Shoulder length-curly
Natural
[*]Goal Month
Wash/cowash weekly. Deep Condition like crazy. Low maintenance styling..braid outs and buns.
Pay closer attention to my ends. Prevent knots and splits. Keep up with trims. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!!

Your hair is gorgeous! I love the texture & hang you got goin! I can't think of having my unstretched curly shrunken hair attaining a hair goal other than 8 inches wide! lol
Can I ask what type curl you are? I'm a 4a but can't get my curls to hang. If my hair didn't shrivel up, I'd be able to wear my natural hair, but I haven't figured it out.
Let me know!
TIA

TeeBee

LovLeeLaDee said:
Your hair is gorgeous! I love the texture & hang you got goin! I can't think of having my unstretched curly shrunken hair attaining a hair goal other than 8 inches wide! lol
Can I ask what type curl you are? I'm a 4a but can't get my curls to hang. If my hair didn't shrivel up, I'd be able to wear my natural hair, but I haven't figured it out.
Let me know!
TIA

Thanks so much! I guess I'm a type 4 curl. I didn't think I would get much 'hang' either when my hair was shorter. But give it time!! Have you ever tried stretching your hair?? Braid outs/twist outs??

LovLeeLaDee

petitefille said:
Protective style in twists for 3-4 weeks
Moisturize daily with aloe vera juice, water and glycerin spray
Scalp massage nightly with Njoy's sulphur mix
Wash bi-weekly or monthly by mixing a dime-sized amount of Giovanni shampoo with water in a pointed-nozzle bottle and targeting the scalp while hair is in twists
Remove twists with aloe vera mix and EVOO (followed by shampoo)
Deep condition with Silk Elements mixed with EVOO and Vitamin E oil
Kimmaytube's leave-in post conditioning
Multi vitamin, biotin, B12, and iron daily
Finger detangling
Healthy diet

Drink green tea/matcha or bamboo tea daily
Exercise and yoga

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?

All the things mentioned above! I use healthy hair care practices sometimes, but I haven't been consistent, and I think that's why I haven't seen growth. It's important that I'm consistent with iron and yoga, because I'm anemic and I'm a highly stressed person, so my hair falls out a lot.

First, I am sure consistency of iron for an anemic person is critical, I was anemic right after my pregnancy, my Dr. Dad assured me it was bc my low iron that I didn't retain the 4.5 inches I grew while preggo and taking prenatals. Mind you, it was my third pregnancy, so I thought I knew what I was doing. I still shed crazily, crying to God to pleeze let me keep my length! lol I needed more iron, which I did NOT understand.

I digress! Iron & protein must be in balance for me, then I know my hair is good. I remember my mommy having an iron deficiency, so why not me!

What I've learned is to take my vitamins and leave my hair ALONE! Don't play, twirl, twist around a finger, just leave it braided, wait for growth, while M&Sing. Yes Aloe is my friend for hair, skin, and boo-boo's!

LovLeeLaDee

CharnellG said:
Im looking for a good protein to add to
My regimen!

An awesome protein is Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner. I used it on my daughter, love it! No breakage and strong hair that doesn't feel dry or stringy.

Hyacinthe

Ok so this is my pic that I had to post since last week Monday but I got caught up

ForumRunner_20121015_083925.jpg

ForumRunner_20121015_083954.jpg
I am still trying to figure out why my pics are never right side up...my apologies

Sent from my GT-I9100G using LHCF

LovLeeLaDee

TeeBee said:
Thanks so much! I guess I'm a type 4 curl. I didn't think I would get much 'hang' either when my hair was shorter. But give it time!! Have you ever tried stretching your hair?? Braid outs/twist outs??

I'll be honest, I never thought I about wearing my natural hair out. Here in AZ people think if it's not straight, it should be silky straight, otherwise it's not acceptable. Some Blacks & whites plus Hispanics think that too. It's really discouraging, but I still keep my head in the game, nothin means more than self-encouragement!

Hyacinthe

TeeBee said:
[*]Current hair length
Shoulder length-curly
Natural
[*]Goal Month

Girl your hair is gawgess!!! My oh my and you have a beautiful family.

BEAUTYU2U

I really want in on this challenge. My focus for my hair in 2013 is on the length of my hair in its unstretched state. While my hair at the moment is grazing BSL, stretched...My ultimate goal is to have full APL curly/unstretched hair. Sooo, I hope that still counts?? (Please, please, puh lease).

Girl, please. My hair loves your hair, wants to be just like her when she grows up. Of course you're welcome in this challenge!!