APL`13 Challenge

youwillrise

youwillrise
What do you have to lose?
You got a whole 12+ month to get APL! :yep: If not you'll at least have support getting there.

truuuuuuuuuuue. ill mostly be focusing on the sides, front and top of my hair making it to apl. the back/nape is already past it, but the rest of my hair refuses to get there. thank goodness for shrinkage, otherwise my hair would look weird as heck. lol...my hair is pretty much the same length (number wise) almost all the way around (give or take an inch or so), but it's just that body placement.

so we'll see what happens. im going to try my best not to think too much about growth/length and just do what works for me and my hair.

BEAUTYU2U

truuuuuuuuuuue. ill mostly be focusing on the sides, front and top of my hair making it to apl. the back/nape is already past it, but the rest of my hair refuses to get there. thank goodness for shrinkage, otherwise my hair would look weird as heck. lol...my hair is pretty much the same length (number wise) almost all the way around (give or take an inch or so), but it's just that body placement.

so we'll see what happens. im going to try my best not to think too much about growth/length and just do what works for me and my hair.

The best thing would be to join a challenge where we can help and support you through your journey. Length is an afterthought, healthy hair will grow. Join and focus on healthy locks. :)

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
:welcome3: Welcome to all the newbies, former lurkers, and first-time challengers!!

Froreal3 - I just tried the Aphogee Two-Step Protein Treatment and I think it's a new stable for my fine hair. You might want to check it out.

Thanks. I think I will buy both! lol

Prettycoach

I would like to join the challenge. This will be my first length challenge. Yahhh

Current hair length.
Some parts CL and some parts NL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
Natural yahh
Goal Month June 2013 just for the summer but I should make it by December 2013
Current Reggie and styling choices
My current regimen id co wash with Hair one, detangle with Trader Joes Nourishing spa conditioner, and dC weekly with Macadamia Natural Oil Deep repair Treatment. Use Kimmaytube leave in and seal with shea butter. 2 strand twist my hair for 5 days and repeat.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Just taking care of my hair and learning what my hair likes.

Post a beginning picture I will post one soon.

quirkydimples

Current hair length: SL

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Relaxed

Goal Month: Oct. 2012 (I'm a slow grower)

Current Reggie and styling choices:
I cowash once or twice a week with Wen
Clarify once a month
DC weekly (protein & moisture)
Moisturize and seal daily

Regular style is bun
Flat iron once or twice a month
Twist out once or twice a month

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?
I'm changing my relaxer from Mizani BB to Linage Shea Butter

I usually stretch 12 weeks, but will try to up it by two weeks each time for max of 20-24 weeks

Also looking for a good protein conditioner. Used eggs today and plan to try cassia obovata.

Other than that, I'll continue to bun and wear it out once in a while.

Post a beginning picture:
I have a SplitEnder so I'll maintain with that and get another trim if needed.

image-1512042412.jpg

Before trim two weeks ago

image-3868677477.jpg

After trim an hour later

Last edited:

LovLeeLaDee

Current hair length: SL

Goal Month: Oct. 2012 (I'm a slow grower)

Current Reggie and styling choices:
I cowash once or twice a week with Wen
Clarify once a month
DC weekly (protein & moisture)
Moisturize and seal daily

Regular style is bun
Flat iron once or twice a month
Twist out once or twice a month

I'm changing my relaxer from Mizani BB to Linage Shea Butter

I usually stretch 12 weeks, but will try to up it by two weeks each time for max of 20-24 weeks

Also looking for a good protein conditioner. Used eggs today and plan to try cassia obovata.

Other than that, I'll continue to bun and wear it out once in a while.

Post a beginning picture:
I have a SplitEnder so I'll maintain with that and get another trim if needed.

View attachment 171419

Before trim two weeks ago

View attachment 171421

After trim an hour later
Quirkydimples! We can slowly grow together! It would be nice to have a companion. Why are you switching your relaxer? I just bought some Mizani BB to relax my daughter's hair, so I'm curious about your experience. I can tell you I love cassia and highly recommend it, I alternate between full treatments and adding it to my DC every week. From what I've learned it could help you stretch between touch-ups.

Good luck and happy hair growing ladies!

BEAUTYU2U

I got so excited about starting the challenge, I forgot to add my own regimen :lol: It's kinda under construction but here goes ...

Weekly
Shampoo - Ion Hard Water Shampoo or CV Shampoo Bar
Conditioner - Aphogee 2-Step Protein Treatment
Moisturizer - Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream
Sealants - Castor Oil & Coconut Oil

Monthly *
Styling - Kinky Twists
Special - Alter Ego Garlic Scalp Treatment

* Still deciding if I'll be doing the monthly regimen. If so, the weekly regimen will be used before or in-between protective stying.

fiyahwerks

I don't think I'm going to make APL in 2012 (ambitious, I know..lol :look:). I am proud to say I did make a shaky SL this September. I'm ready to shoot for APL 2013! Count me in please. Here's my placeholder:

Current hair length
SL in back/NL on sides.

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning
Natural

Goal Month
December 2013

Current Reggie and styling choices
My regimen depends on my workout intensity each week. But my basic tasks include co-washing 1x-3x a week, deep conditioning each week, clarifying shampoo once a month, oils/cream moisturizer to seal. For this fall/winter 2012/2013, braids, kinky twist and/or wigging it with cornrows underneath. Lately, I've been bunning it with a braided phony pony or pulled to the back with my medium cotton afro puff... lol

Looking to purchase a stand up dryer. I want to learn and try roller setting since I have longer length now. It would definitely help with my DC'ing because currently, I just sleep with conditioner in my hair and rinse in the morning.

Post a beginning picture
Coming very soon.

Last edited:

quirkydimples

LovLeeLaDee said:
Quirkydimples! We can slowly grow together! It would be nice to have a companion. Why are you switching your relaxer? I just bought some Mizani BB to relax my daughter's hair, so I'm curious about your experience. I can tell you I love cassia and highly recommend it, I alternate between full treatments and adding it to my DC every week. From what I've learned it could help you stretch between touch-ups.

Good luck and happy hair growing ladies!

Great! I'd love to have a buddy. I get so frustrated sometimes with the pace my hair grows.

I'm switching to a new relaxer because while I love the results of Mizani BB, I think it might be contributing to the amount of shedding I have. I've also heard really good things about Linage Shea Butter and I don't mind leaving a little texture in my hair.

I'm ordering cassia this week and will post my experience

youwillrise

awwww what the heck?! i'll join up.

Current hair length - back/nape - past APL, sides - near top of APL, front - somewhere around bottom of bottom lip.

Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning - natural

Goal Month - i'll go the whole year.

Current Reggie and styling choices -

condition wash (for cleansing - conditioner is rinsed out) or rinse & condition (thorough water rinse w/ conditioner added as leave-in and no conditioner rinsed out at all) every other day
use LOC moisture method on "wash" days
spray moisturize (water, conditioner, oil) on non-wash days
spray hydrolyzed keratin mixed w/ water once or twice a week (i havent had any of this for a while :(, but it is a normal part of my routine)
do a short baggy to infuse moisture after washes - an hour or 2
deep cleanse once a month w/ bentonite clay or shampoo bar
dc with deep cleanse once a month

i used to dc weekly, but meh...dc'ing doesnt seem to make a big difference for me, so i'll just do it once a month to say i did it. haha.
wear hair in simple, quick protective styles. leave in no longer than a week. usually less.
ends stay hidden.
thorough finger detangling every few weeks. light finger detangling in shower on some condition wash days.

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? - i dunno. i should probably start eating better and exercising. haha.

Post a beginning picture
- when i get my phone fixed or find my camera, i will post one.

LovLeeLaDee

BEAUTYU2U said:
Monthly *
Styling - Kinky Twists
Special - Alter Ego Garlic Scalp Treatment

Beauty
How would you rate this product? Do you DC with it? I thought about buying it, but the price makes me cringe! LoL

LovLeeLaDee

quirkydimples said:
Great! I'd love to have a buddy. I get so frustrated sometimes with the pace my hair grows.

I'm switching to a new relaxer because while I love the results of Mizani BB, I think it might be contributing to the amount of shedding I have. I've also heard really good things about Linage Shea Butter and I don't mind leaving a little texture in my hair.

I'm ordering cassia this week and will post my experience

Ok, are u texlaxing now with Mizani BB? How soon are you thinking of switching? You might want to try your cassia before your switch just in case that helps. Now if you're sure it's the Mizani, switch and don't mind me! I'm natural but I know cassia and henna have helped strengthen my hair and stop my breakage.
I have been lurking here for two years but I didn't get the results I wanted nor the retention I wanted till last year when I started using the Ayurvedic powders and oils. I was jumping around when I noticed my hair wasn't falling around my sink anymore!

BEAUTYU2U

Beauty
How would you rate this product? Do you DC with it? I thought about buying it, but the price makes me cringe! LoL

Actually, I haven't tried it yet myself. I was hoping to catch a Black Friday sale, kinda like a birthday gift to myself cause it's around that time. I believe it's for the scalp to prevent shedding.

PerfectlyFlawed

MY FIRST POST EVER!!!! :)
I'm In!!

Current hair length: Bout a inch from SL
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Relaxed bone straight thinking about transitioning texlaxed
Goal Month: December (31, 2013 11:59:59)
Current Reggie and styling choices: Besides cowashing and deep conditioning I dont have a set reggie and I'll be rocking phony ponys

Brwnbeauti

Count me in!

Current length: shoulder
Relaxed
June 2013- my birth month
Reggie- shampoo and dc once weekly, cowash once weekly
I plan to try to up my dc and cowashing and not get lazy once I start seeing growth

image-3857386850.jpg

This was sept '12

SincerelyBeautiful

Back to post some stats :)

Current hair length: Between SL and APL

Goal Month: Full APL by December 31, 2013 11:59:59

Current Reggie and styling choices: Co wash 1-2x weekly (more if stretching), clarify once monthly or as needed to remove buildup, DC 1-2x weekly, Protein treatments biweekly, and moisturizing and sealing daily. Also will be baggying twice a week for the winter to help with moisture

What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I just added co washing to my regimen and so far my 4b relaxed hair loves it. I'm also stretching longer than my normal 12 weeks. I'm pushing for 16-20.

Post a beginning picture
Coming this weekend after my relaxer TU. I'm 20 weeks post relaxer now :) :)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Atdow71

I'm joining, I have a lot of work ahead of me

Current hair length: about 5-6 inches
Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/Transitioning: Natural
Goal Month: 12/31/2013
Current Reggie and styling choices: clarify once a month, use a sulfate free shampoo once a week, condition once a week, dc every week w/ protein/moisture mix, immediately twist or braid my hair if I'm not in a long term p/s style ie: mini braids. Use sulfur mix, m&s every day or every other day. Might do mid week co-washes, wear my satin bonnet every night
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? Stick to the regimen, be gentle when detangling, dust every 8 weeks if needed
Post a beginning picture

Last edited:

LovLeeLaDee

Welcome to all the ladies who've joined! I'm posting cuz it's been a lil slow in here, but that's ok since we aren't really started. I just don't want our thread to get lost and forgotten.

I just used Wen sweet almond mint for the first time, I can't really rant or rave yet because I didn't use it as directed, just used it to cleanse my hair so I can HENNA(yay) on friday! Eventually I will be able to give a full review. I bought it on sale, BOGO FREE, and i got sweet almond mint. I can say i don't care for this scent, but I've seen many other ladies who love it, so it's really preference.

Do any ladies use Wen regularly?
If so, are you natural or relaxed?
Do you use as directed?
What other products do you use as well?

HHG

LdyKamz

I was planning on lurking. Even wrote in my hair journal about lurking and maybe doing the challenge silently on my own. But I need some support so here I am.

Current hair length: About SL
Goal Month: Hopefully June 2013 but definitely want it by Sept.
Current Reggie and styling choices: I don't really wear my hair out, bun mostly but I would liek to start wearing it out and enjoying it more. Just not so sure that is compatible with trying to get to APL. It is getting colder now, so I cut down cowashing to about 1-2x weekly, Shampoo, protein treatment and DC weekly. My regimen is really simple and I think I will keep it that way and tweak as needed. I might add a mid week DC.
What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL? I have to really get serious about my DC. I get lazy about this at times.
Post a beginning picture: I'll post when we officially start. 3 months is a while for a good amount of growth.

Last edited:

quirkydimples

LovLeeLaDee said:
Welcome to all the ladies who've joined! I'm posting cuz it's been a lil slow in here, but that's ok since we aren't really started. I just don't want our thread to get lost and forgotten.

I just used Wen sweet almond mint for the first time, I can't really rant or rave yet because I didn't use it as directed, just used it to cleanse my hair so I can HENNA(yay) on friday! Eventually I will be able to give a full review. I bought it on sale, BOGO FREE, and i got sweet almond mint. I can say i don't care for this scent, but I've seen many other ladies who love it, so it's really preference.

Do any ladies use Wen regularly?
If so, are you natural or relaxed?
Do you use as directed?
What other products do you use as well?

HHG

I use WEN twice a week. I alternate between 613 and Mango right now. I do a dry DC before (sometimes I DC after), but I use WEN as directed -- pump counts, splash of water, and all. Love it! I'm convinced WEN is why I haven't felt compelled to relax after 12 weeks like I usually do. My DC is Alter Ego Garlic Oil or AOGPB; I alternate. I also use Aphogee's Green Tea Keratin Spray. I've used the 2-minute conditioner and may work that back into my regimen, although I used a mixture of Greek yogurt, EVOO and 1 egg last week, followed by AEGO and it was okay. It's hard for me to tell what's good and what's not with the conditioners.

I do know that DB Transitioning Cream is a lifesaver. I usually wear a bun or low ponytail. At night I put my hair in one or two braids after putting DBTC on my new growth and my new growth always feels moisturized.

SincerelyBeautiful

Has anyone tried CON argan oil intensive conditioning treatment??? Do you like it?? Do you use on dry hair of after washing?? I got a free sample and I want to try it!

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Has anyone tried CON argan oil intensive conditioning treatment??? Do you like it?? Do you use on dry hair of after washing?? I got a free sample and I want to try it!

I have it, but have yet to use it. I wasnt too fond of the smell. I also have CON Professional Nourishing & Strengthening Treatment. I used that one and I guess it was ok...i followed up with a moisturizing dc though since it made my hair a little dry.

SincerelyBeautiful

Froreal3 said:
I have it, but have yet to use it. I wasnt too fond of the smell. I also have CON Professional Nourishing & Strengthening Treatment. I used that one and I guess it was ok...i followed up with a moisturizing dc though since it made my hair a little dry.

If you try the other let me know how u like it. If I try it first I will let you know if I like it :)

MeowMix

May I join pretty please? I see some of my buddies in here. I flunked NikkiQ's APL 2012 class and need one more chance :grin:

1. Current hair length S/L
2. Relaxed/Natura/Texlaxed/TransitioningNATURAL
3. Goal MonthDECEMBER 2013
4. Current Reggie and styling choices C0-WASH ~2x wk, DC 1x wk, DUST~ 8wks, PROTIEN~ 8wks/BRAIDS
5. What do you plan on changing (if anything) to make it to APL?MY HAIR JUST GROWS SLOW, I JUST NEED TO BE PATIENT
6. Post a beginning picture

LovLeeLaDee

quirkydimples said:
I use WEN twice a week. I alternate between 613 and Mango right now. I do a dry DC before (sometimes I DC after), but I use WEN as directed -- pump counts, splash of water, and all. Love it! I'm convinced WEN is why I haven't felt compelled to relax after 12 weeks like I usually do. My DC is Alter Ego Garlic Oil or AOGPB; I alternate. I also use Aphogee's Green Tea Keratin Spray. I've used the 2-minute conditioner and may work that back into my regimen, although I used a mixture of Greek yogurt, EVOO and 1 egg last week, followed by AEGO and it was okay. It's hard for me to tell what's good and what's not with the conditioners.

I do know that DB Transitioning Cream is a lifesaver. I usually wear a bun or low ponytail. At night I put my hair in one or two braids after putting DBTC on my new growth and my new growth always feels moisturized.

Thanks Quirkydimples! I should have ordered that 613, it sounds like heaven! So, if you DC before, you don't use anything after Wen? How long have you been using it? Is mango a summer scent? They didn't have that when I ordered.

I feel the same way about conditioners too, but I typically look for ones that give me moisture, which I can only tell by the "slip" I get when I put it in and how my hair feels after rinsing. I just discovered AOGBP, can't try it till a couple weeks after I henna, seems unnecessary to use it before.

LovLeeLaDee

Welcome KammyGirl & MeowMix!

2013 is our year ladies, (jadakiss voice) we gon' make it, we gon' make it! APL IS OURS LADIES!

Angelinhell

I want to join!
I'm currently nl and relaxed with Mizani bb hg.
I plan to reach apl by next summer(or a little sooner).
Regimen: relax every three months. Heavy protein 6 weeks after relaxer and week before. Wash and deep condition twice a week(alternating moisturizin conditioner and reconstructor. Clarify once a month.

Styling: wet wrap weekly, rollerset only when I want a curly style, blowdry and flatiron on relaxer day.

To get to apl I plan on trimming by the moon and stretching relaxers.

Errrr, I may be more neck length. I cut some more damage off.

Last edited:

quirkydimples

LovLeeLaDee said:
Thanks Quirkydimples! I should have ordered that 613, it sounds like heaven! So, if you DC before, you don't use anything after Wen? How long have you been using it? Is mango a summer scent? They didn't have that when I ordered.

I feel the same way about conditioners too, but I typically look for ones that give me moisture, which I can only tell by the "slip" I get when I put it in and how my hair feels after rinsing. I just discovered AOGBP, can't try it till a couple weeks after I henna, seems unnecessary to use it before.

Mango was a summer scent. My next order will have fig and pumpkin.

If I DC before I don't do anything after Wen. For example, I'll get up in the morning and slather on my DC, put on a plastic cap, then a bandana. Next, I'll run 3-4 miles. Then, I'll come home, stretch, shower, rinse, Wen, then do whatever I'm going to do to my hair. If it's during the week, I'll put it on when I get home after work and rinse after I put my son to bed, but before my husband and I eat dinner.

With this routine I'm starting to think I might be able to do a super-long stretch, like six month. But, I'm also not going to get ahead of myself.