Anyone Here With Hair Shrinkage Goals!

mscocoface

GoldenBreeze said:
If you click "User CP" at the top of any page, and then click "subscriptions" in your CP, then you can always find any thread that you previously posted to.

Welcome aboard GoldenBreeze! :)

miss Congeniality

Well, I finally put some twist in. I am starting to take vitamins again and drinking more water. I updated my album for my starting point. So what is everyone else doing for the next three months?

mscocoface

miss Congeniality said:
Well, I finally put some twist in. I am starting to take vitamins again and drinking more water. I updated my album for my starting point. So what is everyone else doing for the next three months?

I am hiding my hair, cornrowing and protective styling for the summer months.

jtsupanova

I want to join the challenge!
My goal is to have shoulder length unstreched twist/outs this gonna take a while but I'm up for it
My hair is currently collar bone lenght streched and neck length unstreched in twist. So I'd probabley have to BSL streched hair to reach my goal.

mscocoface

jtsupanova said:
I want to join the challenge!
My goal is to have shoulder length unstreched twist/outs this gonna take a while but I'm up for it
My hair is currently collar bone lenght streched and neck length unstreched in twist. So I'd probabley have to BSL streched hair to reach my goal.

Welcome aboard!:)

SVT

Okay, I'm late but I finally bought some batteries for my digicam and can now post some decent starting pics.

My hair in its shrinkage state doesn't look like it's grown much since the pics I posted back in 2004. :look:

Yes, this challenge will require much patience and consistency but I'm still down.

ETA: Removed signature pics to place in album

Last edited:

ajargon02

mscocoface said:
For all of you ladies that are completely natural and you have some serious shrinkage issues, how long do you think your hair in its TOTALLY natural state would need to be in order for you to reach a goal in length you would be satisfed with?

For example, if I stretch my hair now it is just at BSL, but without stretching it is just at shoulder length. So for me I would be satisfied with length UNSTRETCHED somewhere near the BSL. Now by this I mean just doing regular unheated styles like pony tails, pig tails, twists, braids, cornrows, box braids, locs, etc.

That means I will need another 8-12 inches in length unstretched which means another 2-3 years, for me this would be interesting to try and obtain, but I could do it.:eek:

I was thinking about this because I realize 99.99999% of the time I will not be placing any heat in my hair or doing any banding to help show the true length so I thought getting a real sense of the truly natural state of my hair would help me in dealing with the reality of the shrinkage.

I will keep and maintain my stretched length goal as well as trying to obtain the new goal for hair with shrinkage. I don't think I can let go of the stretched goal just yet, considering all the work that has gone into it.:D

Anyone up for that challenge? What would be your shrunken hair length goal and when do you think you would make it?

Great post! For me, my ideal length unstretched would be round chin to shoulder length. I have CRAZY shrinkage! When I wash it daily, it will shrink in some places to about 1-2 inches and ppl want to know if I cut my hair. I just smile and pull out a piece, then I start to explaine shrinkage. I figure that my shrunken length will be about mid back stretched length. I have like 10 thousand layers, and I just want it to "look" even, although it might not be. I figure that will take me another 2-4 years. No more coloring or major cuts for me, and I should be there. I can't wait!

turnergirl

cheetarah1980 said:
In order for me to have a shoulder length twistout all the way around, I think my hair would have to be at least BSL all the way around. That goal is probably 2-3 years away (and that's with perfect haircare and no setbacks). I wouldn't want my hair any longer than BSL stretched because that would just be too much hair to deal with.
Cheet. You and I definitely have the same goal. I am happy to see someone else feels me on BSL being on the border of wayy too much hair.

turnergirl

bLackButtaFly said:
TURNERGIRL!:eek: That rollerset is fierce!* off to your fotki to check it out up close*:D :look:

Back on topic...

My unstretched midterm goal is just shoulderlength twistout, all around front to back.
And my long term goal would be bsl twistout, and mbl stretched. (What a beautiful dream...)
It's be a while b4 I get that. I would see by about Dec 2008 or so I should be there.:look:
SO I am extra late but Thanks sis. I need to subscribe to this thread so I will not lose it again.

turnergirl

bmoreflyygirl said:
This sounds like the curly girl challenge. But I'm in. I want chin length unstretched hair and then ultimately shoulder length unstretched. I know it's going to take forever to get there though. :ohwell: I'm shooting for chin length unstretched a year from now. Is that reasonable?

I think that is reasonable.

turnergirl

miss Congeniality said:
I am in box braids until the middle or end of August. I braided my hair in the middle of June. So mid August would be 2 months but I may keep them until the end of August. Either way I will remove the braids to get a wash and go comparison pic for August. Probably keep my hair out for labor day but it will go back into some protective style.

My regimine is to co-wash the braids 2-3 times a week.
Clarify with ACV 1 time a week and deep condition with heat. I will rotate my Deep conditioner between moisture and protein by the week.

I will try to use this sulfur mix I have for my crown area which seems to grow the slowest. But I am not making any promises.

Last edited:

malachi74

My shrinkage goal is BSL unstretched. I figure once it gets there it will be mid-back length or at least when I flat-iron. It seems no matter how much length I'm able to hold on to, my hair shrinks back to chin length when air-dried

Ayeshia

I really think my hair will only get to shoulder length curly and from there grow "out" instead of down.

miss Congeniality

Ayeshia said:
I really think my hair will only get to shoulder length curly and from there grow "out" instead of down.

I don't think my hair will every grow down. What I really want is to have some hang. Is that too much to ask for?

turnergirl

miss Congeniality said:
I don't think my hair will every grow down. What I really want is to have some hang. Is that too much to ask for?
I am not sure about that. I always thought it was length that would make a person's hair hang but I realize that is not always true. My hair started to hang as soon as it got to about 4 inches long. So I know there has to be more to why hair hangs and why it does not. It seems as if extremely thick hair whether it be extra curly, extra kinky or somewhere in between always grows out. I think it is because there is just so much hair on the head that it does not have the room to lay.

I don't know I am just speculating. There are some naturals with midback length hair that does not hang one bit but there hair is the thickest I have ever seen. Then you get people like me. I have fine hair and I don't have much of it. Maybe 1 strand forever 3 strands of hair on the average person's head. Maybe that is why my hair can hang. There is nothing really pushing it out. I think if my hair were more dense it would grow out. It's weird but I want big hair and it seems as if I can't get that ever cause my hair is just tiny. Even in it's biggest state.

glamazon386

turnergirl said:
I am not sure about that. I always thought it was length that would make a person's hair hang but I realize that is not always true. My hair started to hang as soon as it got to about 4 inches long. So I know there has to be more to why hair hangs and why it does not. It seems as if extremely thick hair whether it be extra curly, extra kinky or somewhere in between always grows out. I think it is because there is just so much hair on the head that it does not have the room to lay.

I don't know I am just speculating. There are some naturals with midback length hair that does not hang one bit but there hair is the thickest I have ever seen. Then you get people like me. I have fine hair and I don't have much of it. Maybe 1 strand forever 3 strands of hair on the average person's head. Maybe that is why my hair can hang. There is nothing really pushing it out. I think if my hair were more dense it would grow out. It's weird but I want big hair and it seems as if I can't get that ever cause my hair is just tiny. Even in it's biggest state.

My hair is like that too and I noticed a few months ago that the front is starting to hang. I think it has to do with the fine hair thing.

Ayeshia

turnergirl said:

good theory...my hair is not fine but I wouldnt say the strands are thick either. My hair started to "hang" with 2 years of growth :ohwell:For every 2-3 inches of hair growth I get 1.5 inches of hang time...when the hair is dry that is.

miss Congeniality

Ayeshia said:
good theory...my hair is not fine but I wouldnt say the strands are thick either. My hair started to "hang" with 2 years of growth :ohwell:For every 2-3 inches of hair growth I get 1.5 inches of hang time...when the hair is dry that is.

Yeah, shrinkage can be a beast sometimes. Well, I'll be 2 years next months, so hopefully I will see some changes.

Off Topic: Ayeshia your hair is freakin' beautiful. I just added you to my friends list:lol:

Gryphyn

As my hair gets longer (and heavier), I'd love for my shrunken hair to hang better after I wash it instead of shrinking up to 2 inches on top of my head. It would make detangling so much easier!!

alexei

I actually planned my goals for stretched and unstetched.
Midback Length 21"
Press/Straight: Midback
Natural braids: Brastrap
Twists: Armpit length
Loose/twistout: Shoulder length
This is my first goal which I am 7-8" away from :yay:

Waistlength
Press/Straight: Waistlength
Natural braids: Midback
Twists: Brastrap
Loose/twistout: Armpit length
This is the ultimate goal. I like all these lengths the best except maybe the waistlength straight. That is a lot of hair :ohwell: But I'll probably like it :D

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
mscocoface said:
So we will check in 3 months from now in order for us to really see some difference with unstretched hair.

I imagine when showing your length you will need to do some type of style with braids, twists, twist out or braid out.

Make sure you have a current picture for your sites or journals so that you will be able to compare it within three months.

I am going to continue to use twists and keep a running comparision shot as noted in my siggy.
I don't think my hair will look any different after 3 months when unstretched. :D In 3 months, I'll have about 1.5 more inches of length. I think it's because of the weight and texture of my hair...it's very very light and super springy, so after I wet it and let it dry, it's gonna shrink up to high heavens. I don't think my hair will even hang to shoulder length after my hair dries in it's unstretched state.

GoldenBreeze

turnergirl said:

ITA: You may really be on to something here. My hair isn't thin, but it's medium rather like Ayeshia's, and I get hang as well. This is very interesting.

miss Congeniality

So how is everyone doing so far. I think it is going to be a while before I notice any changes with shrinkage, but I know it is taking my hair longer to dry.

starfish79

So how is everyone doing so far. I think it is going to be a while before I notice any changes with shrinkage, but I know it is taking my hair longer to dry.

I really don't see any changes yet either once my hair shrinks up. Although it does feel heavier when I'm washing it!! **keeping fingers crossed**

turnergirl

I don't see much difference in my hair right now. It seems as if the look of my wash and go has not changed one bit. Off to look back on my pics.