Will Some Natural Hair Always Grow OUT Instead of DOWN, No Matter the Actual Length??

soon2bsl

Hey ladies,

This question just popped in my mind a minute ago as I was reading a previous thread about perfect length and texture. So it got me to thinking..will some people's natural hair always grow out instead of down? Meaning that even if a person is for example WL or HL stretched, could it shrink all the way to SL, or would it atleast fall at APL/BSL in it's natural state? I'm guessing texture is the biggest factor in the length it will fall unstretched. But then I've heard that the longer the hair, the length will cause the curls to stretch at some point, so I don't know?

So ladies, what do you think? Do you think if someone is, for example WL/HL stretched, it's bound to start hanging down in it's natural state? OR will some people's natural hair always have major shrinkage, to NL/SL no matter what their actual length is? Just curious.

constance

Re: Will Some Natural Hair Always Grow OUT Instead of DOWN, No Matter the Actual Leng

I'm not sure if this is answering your question, but the coarsest section of my hair is an area 2inx2in about an inch above my nape. The hair is about 7 inches in length when stretched but it grows (and I have to comb/finger comb it) out rather than down. Gravity pulls it down slightly, but w. shrinkage it looks like 4 inches.

MizzBrit

Re: Will Some Natural Hair Always Grow OUT Instead of DOWN, No Matter the Actual Leng

i think so..i know my hair will never grow down no matter the length

SimJam

I have a feeling my hair will always shrink up to a 4 or 5 inch fro LOL

really though I cant answer since im only barly SL streched.
though I think I remember a thread something like "show me your shrinkage" which should assist in answering ur question

bride91501

^^^ I'm starting to think this will be my hair. Its currently NL (bottom) stretched and it shrinks up to about 1/2" if I don't stretch it. I could be wrong, but I don't expect my shrinkage to decrease just because my hair grows.

SheenaVee

Yeah, I think so.
My hair seems to have less shrinkage the longer it gets but still, I highly doubt that more length will make a huge difference.

Ediese

Yep I believe there are a lot of naturals with hair that grow out and not down. As my hair got longer, around APL, it started to grow down.

Last edited:

mscocoface

It use to be straight out, now it is a kind of slight slant sorta. But out seems to be its normal course. Let's see what happens in 5-10 years. I stopped hoping and believing on this one. I started accepting that it is what it is as long as it is growing.

Missjae09

My hair is short (longest is 5 inches) but when I wear a wash n' go it shrinks to about 1.2 to 2 inches.. that leads me to believe that it will NEVER grow down! but I do think it will grow out, and as long as its growing I'm ok with that :)

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies

What's the appeal between growing "out" vs growing "down?"

BlackMasterPiece

Absolutely. Most people in the type 4 hair type will always have hair that grows up and out and never down. For example, I'm about 2 inches or so away from my goal of WL but as you can see in my siggy....my hair still shrinks to a round fro that stands straight up when I want it to. My fro is a little more floppy then it used to be but overall there will be no hang without manipulation.....and I'm perfectly happy with that. I love my kinks:grin:

It all has to do with texture:yep:

LayneJ

Yes, some people's hair will always shrink up to NL/SL.

I am one of those people. My natural texture shrinks up to my neck and I am 4 inches from WL.

This doesn't bother me, however. It's the nature of my hair. :yep:

soon2bsl

Thanks for all the replies ladies!

^^^ I'm starting to think this will be my hair. Its currently NL (bottom) stretched and it shrinks up to about 1/2" if I don't stretch it. I could be wrong, but I don't expect my shrinkage to decrease just because my hair grows.

Wow, that's some major shrinkage lol. :)

Yep I believe there are a lot of naturald with hair that grow out and not down. As my hair got longer, around APL, it started to grow down.

Thanks Ediese for your feedback. Gorgeous hair btw!

What's the appeal between growing "out" vs growing "down?"

No appeal, just a general question. As a long term transitioner, I'm curious to know what to possibly expect. I've seen posts previously and trying to understand how natural how shrinkage works the longer the hair gets. I know for some naturals, they may want to show more length, and of course in it's natural state it's not going to be as long as when the hair is stretch. As for me, I think it's awesome to show the versatility, but I'm sure there will be times where I want to show length.

I am one of those people. My natural texture shrinks up to my neck and I am 4 inches from WL.

WOW :)

Absolutely. Most people in the type 4 hair type will always have hair that grows up and out and never down. For example, I'm about 2 inches or so away from my goal of WL but as you can see in my siggy....my hair still shrinks to a round fro that stands straight up when I want it to. My fro is a little more floppy then it used to be but overall there will be no hang without manipulation.....and I'm perfectly happy with that. I love my kinks:grin:

Thanks BMP. Love how you are always breaking it down for us to understand! I'm sure when I'm fully natural I'll be feeling the same way. Aww...the versatility of natural hair...gotta embrace it and love it!

OsnapCnapp!

I think my hair will always grow out no matter the length because it is mostly fluff-n-puff....barely any kind of curls, which is cool because I like shaking my big puffy fluff, lol.

Last edited:

Harina

Yep, it depends on the texture of the hair and the weight of it. 4bs tend to be the coiliest and the lightest. T'is gravity, plain and simple.

Cheleigh

yep. My 4a hair will never grow down more than out. I'm mid-back, but shoulder length unstretched. And it can be shorter than that depending on how my hair is manipulated.

alive

this sounds very accurate. The tighter your curls, the more likely you will experience the "up and out". The good news is, making a huge afro would be so easy to do if your hair doesn't really grow down.

soon2bsl

Great responses and explainations ladies!

Hairsofab

My hair will always grow up and out, no down in sight. haha.

ZkittyKurls

I would imagine that at some point wouldnt the roots of thick and tightly coiled hair always grow out but the ends, due to its weight and length will tend to hang down, kind of like a plam tree maybe? i dunno but i know the ends start to get pulled down with gravity, but the roots always grow out. does this make sense to anyone?

ZkittyKurls

oh and if yo notice that all hair no matter the texture, grows out, initially but eventually will grow down. ie when asians or caucasians that have straight hair cut their hair off to about a half inch it almost looks like...i dunno a bristle brush?? i do not mean to sound ignorant but i cant figure out another comparison, abut then eventually their hair grows down...

Nasdaq_Diva

(sigh)

Are you serious?! Here I am APL with serious shrinkage (the shrinkage came this year) and I changed my hair goal from MBL to WL so that my shrinkage could hopefully fall to APL one day. :wallbash:

Watch, I'm going to be a WL (stretched) with shrunken NL/SL when I wash n go..smh :sad: Just my luck...

morehairplease

I think so. This is the case with my hair.

Janet'

My hair grows out...:ohwell:

I'm BSB...