Anyone get to APL wearing a donut bun

lindsaywhat

my hair is layered too. i use a small clip on the sides to hold the hair in place. a small Spin Pin will really hold the bun in place and you can use a bun hair net( Sallys carries them) to make it look neater if you

i also don't wear my hair going back in the front. i have a part down the middle, so i sloop my bangs on each side. i have been wearing my hair like this for almost a month now, and so far so good.

all i do is detangle with oil, dc, rinse, shampoo (diluted in an applicator bottle with distilled water), apply leave-in, detangle, air dry. i cross wrap my hair at night to smooth my hair and new growth. i moisturize and seal daily. i plan on wearing my hair like this until i reach my goal of BSB. i am about APL now, but i got till next month to really claim it.

donut buns are the devil to me! i would get ton of breakage. i just grab my hair into a ponytail, twist, and pin.

QUOTE=[lindsaywhat;15657001]lol id be awesome at a donut bun challenge cuz i do it like everyday. The only thing is I would wanna see some people who got some great retention with it first.
My hair is kinda layered so it makes a regular bun hard. thatas why the donut is my go to :)[/QUOTE]

I'm not APL yet, but I alternate between the donut bun and I wear a phony pony in a bun. I started doing this in February while on a 25 week stretch, and I had no problems with breakage. Here are feb. and mar. pics that show I didn't suffer damage. I make sure to moisturize and seal every couple nights. I have the donut from sally''s and wear Ultima phony pony. I will also be adding kanekolaon( sp.?) hair to make a braided bun. These PS have really gotten me to my current length.

February. March
relaxed and bun. 6 weeks post with trimmed ends( blue)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Last edited:
I use a donut. I accidentally spilled a bottle of evoo all over it (it was soaked, I'm talking it became heavy...), and decided to wear it anyway. My ends weren't dry and my hair felt very moisturized. I also baggy my bun with the donut at night. I wrap a silk scarf around the base to keep the rest neat, and then wrap the baggy and put a scrunchie over it. This method has significantly helped my retention and I am finally seeing the growth :) I think that's a great idea to wrap the donut in saran wrap! I will definitely be doing that...

skraprchik I'm interested in those sticks. Do you use the sticks too? Are they better than using a flexi-8? Do they actually keep your hair secure all day?

Yep! They work great. I wore this exact style yesterday and my hair stayed all day long very securely. I've been able to use a hair stick or a hair fork this way, or in a French twist, since CBL. There are lots of vendors. Check out etsy. Those particular ones come from Ketylo. I've only bought singles, and they've worked fine for me. Usually I use a Flexi-8 for a ponytail or some other style. They're a bit fiddly for this to me.

I took a picture of my version of a bun. I can actually get my hair into a cinnabun held with the Ficcare, but it's so small that I like this flipped version better.

My mini-twists showing approximate length:
7053873781_9cb505558e_t.jpg

and how I usually wear them:
7053874101_40dab298fb_t.jpg

2 minute undo without having to use a ponytail holder or other hair tie. This should work with a Flexi-8. Maybe I'll try it sometime this week and post a picture.

Back