Anyone get to APL wearing a donut bun

I didn't get to APL by wearing a donut bun, just by twisting my own hair and adding a scrunchie..

I got to APL wearing a donut bun. I was very careful about saturating my ends with shikakai oil and twisting them around underneath the bun. I used a silky sock and did not just mush my hair underneath the bun. That's a good way to get breakage.

I got to APL wearing a donut bun. I was very careful about saturating my ends with shikakai oil and twisting them around underneath the bun. I used a silky sock and did not just mush my hair underneath the bun. That's a good way to get breakage.

Donut buns always dried my hair out because the sock/scarf/whatever i used to make the bun shape was pulling moisture from my hair and making the ends dry. I didn't know about sealing with oil back then though. Plus, using a "silky" sock would probably help too. Now, I just wrap my hair around itself to make the bun.

Back in the day, I would use a sock to bun my hair, however my ends would be very ragedy and I had to stop, cause like stated the sock would get all the moisurizer, that was a while ago. Now I just twist my around and around and put some type of oil on the ends, then has a scrunchie, my ends are looking healthy and Im retaining, I been doing this for about 2 months, NP here. I also do a wet bun all the time, which help alot, the ends love the water.

The longest I ever stretch was 9 weeks, I have thick hair, can not go longer than that, and thats without heat.

ME!!!! I didn't use a sock bun but I would use a scrunchie and then twirl my ends around the scrunchie into a donut.
I got a lot of retention but I was scared of the manipulation so I switched to a weave as a ps this year

A donut bun has always been my protective style of choice. I used to wrap cling film around the donut so that it didn't take any moisture from my hair. These days my donut is soaked in oil and all sorts so it doesn't interfere with my moisture levels.

Donut buns are the best buns IMO because your hair is completely and securely tucked away which means you can wear the bun for up to a week at a time without having to redo it. I also baggy the bun at night by placing a sheet of cling film over it then securing with a hair tie. This prevents the hair in the bun getting dry and messy so I don't have to redo it.

It used to be my daily go-to style, but it KILLED my ends... If I ever did another one, I would try some suggestions people said in this thread like saturating my ends in oil first or covering the sock with plastic wrap.

I remember using "donut" buns and I got a tremendous amount of breakage using them. Of course that was many years ago before I knew the benefits of moisturizing and sealing. I would think if someone was proactively doing this they could be successful in retention.

I would like to see more answers as well. I tried the donut bun maybe once or twice and it seemed like breakage city to me so I put it away.

A donut bun has always been my protective style of choice. I used to wrap cling film around the donut so that it didn't take any moisture from my hair. These days my donut is soaked in oil and all sorts so it doesn't interfere with my moisture levels.

Donut buns are the best buns IMO because your hair is completely and securely tucked away which means you can wear the bun for up to a week at a time without having to redo it. I also baggy the bun at night by placing a sheet of cling film over it then securing with a hair tie. This prevents the hair in the bun getting dry and messy so I don't have to redo it.

Good points! How is your hair style in your siggy?

lol Solitude id be awesome at a donut bun challenge cuz i do it like everyday. The only thing is I would wanna see some people who got some great retention with it first.
My hair is kinda layered so it makes a regular bun hard. thatas why the donut is my go to :)

lol Solitude id be awesome at a donut bun challenge cuz i do it like everyday. The only thing is I would wanna see some people who got some great retention with it first.
My hair is kinda layered so it makes a regular bun hard. thatas why the donut is my go to :)

lindsaywhat

I love donut buns. I used to wear them a lot when I was younger because I played sports. I didn't now anything about hair care, but it did help me retain some length.

I've only worn them occasionally since I started taking care of my hair. I'm off today, so I'll probably work on making a silk or satin-covered bun piece.

Umm, I think people also call it a tails up. Basically its the thing you get when you twist your hair for a French twist and secure it before tucking in the ends. Video here.. I usually only use I hair stick or a hair fork.

skraprchik I'm interested in those sticks. Do you use the sticks too? Are they better than using a flexi-8? Do they actually keep your hair secure all day?

Back