Advice Plz: Less Heat or Less Relaxers?

What will aid in maximum length retention/healthy hair?

• Less Heat

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • Less Relaxers during the year

Votes: 26 23.9%

• Total voters

OneInAMillion

Hi Ladies,

I'm trying to revamp my regimine for 2007. Last year, I got two relaxers during the year, but that meant using a blowdryer to get my roots straight. I can stretch with no problem (and minimal heat for 4 months). After that, I find that I need to use heat more often.

I was thinking of getting three relaxers a year instead of two (that would be stretching for 4 months at a time). I think this could be healthier because I wouldn't be using heat much at all, which I feel might aid in overall length retention.

The only reason I'm hesitant is because my hair is fine, I texturize, and I'd hate to risk overprocessing. Also, I've been stretching for a minimum of 5 months for the past two years, and I've never had hair this thick since I've been relaxed.

What do you think I should do?

sareca

Wow, tough call. I think I'd go with less heat. A touch-up every 4 months it a good schedule. But I'm biased. Every 4 months is my relaxer schedule. :wink2:

navsegda

If you can get your hair straight and keep it that way without heat, then I don't think it would hurt to add one more relaxer a year.

LocksOfLuV

sareca said:
Wow, tough call. I think I'd go with less heat. A touch-up every 4 months it a good schedule. But I'm biased. Every 4 months is my relaxer schedule. :wink2:

Ditto, I say less heat.

Mystic

Relaxing 3-4 times per year is excellent. If you use less heat, along with texlaxing 3 X per year, your hair will get even thicker.

Isis

Mystic said:
Relaxing 3-4 times per year is excellent. If you use less heat, along with texlaxing 3 X per year, your hair will get even thicker.
ITA with Mystic.

I suggest less or no heat. For me, heat and relaxed hair does not work together. I relax about 4 times per year.

*Frisky*

I realized after this last 16 week stretch I did that I can't go that long. I was doing my hair more harm than good. Less heat is definitely the way to go. I don't have to manipulate my hair that much not stretching that long.

CoCoGirl821

I agree with everyone else. Less heat definately. I wish I could stretch 4 months, but I just started realxing again in August, so stretching is a goal of mine. Plus you can try other styles, such as rollersets and buns when your newgrowth is getting long.

Sistaslick

Cosigning the less heat people :yep: Your relaxer schedule already sounds pretty conservative.

Heat can sabotage your hair health even if you totally remove relaxers from your regimen. Relaxed or natural, heat is rarely a friend. :lol:

Sha76

I votes less relaxers. But I really wish that both was an option. Less, relaxer because it is still a chemical.

Heat is damaging and should not be used on dirty hair. If you must use it to straighten the roots, make sure you have just washed and conditoned your hair, otherwise you are just burning dirt into it.

loveable37

I vote less relaxers

LESS HEAT:U still can have healthy hair along with good hair remedies.
LESS RELAXERS:u still can achieve healthy hair if ur relaxer not unprocessed/overprocessed remember relaxer cant wash out heat can.

HARD DECISION !:ohwell:
OOH WELL

Wishin4BSL

Less heat is your best bet in my opinion. My hair breaks off horribly with too much heat. I've gotten to the point where I don't use blowdryers or flat irons at all. The breakage is just too bad for me. I get relaxers every two to three months and my hair is also thicker than it's ever been.

Junonia

Relaxing four times a year is good. I know people that relax their hair every month, which I think is excessive.

Heat in moderation is good also. If you are curling your hair everyday, blowdrying once a week and flatironing everyday that seems excessive also. My hair would turn to dust if I used that much heat :)

OneInAMillion

Thanks again for your input! This is really helpful :) .

I've been trying so hard to cut heat out of my regimine with rollersets only, and I do fairly well until I hit month four. I figure, I can get away with using heat 4x a year, so that's my new goal (and much better than using heat 52x a year :p .)

Another reason I wanted to reconsider is because since I've been cutting down on heat, whenever I DO have my roots blown out at the salon, I start cringing :lol:.

In any event, the heat has got to go...I'll monitor my progress carefully to see how my hair does compared to last year!

bajanplums1

No heat gets my vote. Heat did more damage to my hair over the years than the relaxer alone. These days I have a relaxer and do not use heat and my hair is doing well.

I vote for less heat.

I have learned that my hair falls apart with excessive heat. Even now then when I cheat and do a quick blow dry straight thru (once every 4 months) I look on the floor and feel like fainting after seeing all of the hair that has come out from the blow out.

There was also a post where someone asked what effect blowing the roots only when stretching had on their hair. I was surprised to learn many women chimed in and said they noticed thinning at the roots.

You cant get away from it HEAT = DEVIL!!

Okay, a bit extreme, but ya get the point!

Bests!

princesmich

I have used no direct heat on my head for the past month and I relax every 10-12 weeks, my hair doesn't fall as much, and it's healthier more manageable and I can go without a wash for a week and a half and it still looks good, goes to show, that heat and checmicals is damaging to the hair.

OneInAMillion

SerenityBreeze said:
I vote for less heat.

I have learned that my hair falls apart with excessive heat. Even now then when I cheat and do a quick blow dry straight thru (once every 4 months) I look on the floor and feel like fainting after seeing all of the hair that has come out from the blow out.

There was also a post where someone asked what effect blowing the roots only when stretching had on their hair. I was surprised to learn many women chimed in and said they noticed thinning at the roots.

You cant get away from it HEAT = DEVIL!!

Okay, a bit extreme, but ya get the point!

Bests!

YIKES :eek: !

Ok...this pushed me over the edge. No more heat I promise :p

Thanks for everyone's advice!

ETA: Lately, I've been working out so much anyway that I've just been conditioner washing...working out definitely has it's hair benefits

Last edited:

KathyMay

I didnt vote because I choose both. Less heat and relaxers work for my hair that is why I slowed down on the blowouts but with stretching my relaxers it is hard. What can I do just bun it and go and make it to 24 weeks post relax. My hair is just to fine and coarse to be bothered with heat in general and I learned that the best thing for my relaxer is to relax twice a year.

OneInAMillion

KathyMay said:
I didnt vote because I choose both. Less heat and relaxers work for my hair that is why I slowed down on the blowouts but with stretching my relaxers it is hard. What can I do just bun it and go and make it to 24 weeks post relax. My hair is just to fine and coarse to be bothered with heat in general and I learned that the best thing for my relaxer is to relax twice a year.

We're in the same boat! I've just come to the conclusion that even if I'm going to stretch for 5 or 6 months, the heat has to stop. Geez, I've been on here long enough that you would think I would know that by now :lol: .

chayil0427

I would say both are important, but I try to focus on less heat and making sure the relaxers are applied to the new growth only. But if I had to pick I'd say less heat is definately more important.

Chayil

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I'mma go with the others on this and say less heat with an added relaxer. I relax 3 times a year myself and it has improved my hair. I still have work yet to be done but my hair is in better shape overall.