A man is to love his wife the way that Christ...

Blossssom

loved the church... what does that say about Abraham and Sarah? Abraham didn't love his wife enough to lay down his life for her, as did Christ for the church.

Instead, Abraham allowed heathen men to have his wife in any capacity they saw fit... thank God that Jesus loved the church and was willing to lay down his life to protect it (from Satan) :)

metamorfhosis

Well, it seems like GOD used imperfect people to do amazing things in the Bible. For example, Moses. Didn't he kill a man? And yet, GOD still used him.

We sin but GOD uses us............

divya

Well, it seems like GOD used imperfect people to do amazing things in the Bible. For example, Moses. Didn't he kill a man? And yet, GOD still used him.

We sin but GOD uses us............

Well said. God is loving and see the heart. When we repent, He will forgive. And He is willing to use sincere individuals...

Blossssom

Well said. God is loving and see the heart. When we repent, He will forgive. And He is willing to use sincere individuals...

No disagreement, Div and Meta... I almost forgot about this thread :)

I'm wondering what made me initiate it, though.

PaperClip

loved the church... what does that say about Abraham and Sarah? Abraham didn't love his wife enough to lay down his life for her, as did Christ for the church.

Instead, Abraham allowed heathen men to have his wife in any capacity they saw fit... thank God that Jesus loved the church and was willing to lay down his life to protect it (from Satan) :)

Hey, Blossssom:

I tried to dodge this thread but I was really curious about what you're talking about (bolded)....

Farida

Hey, Blossssom:

I tried to dodge this thread but I was really curious about what you're talking about (bolded)....

I think she's talking about the fact that Abraham let other men sleep with his wife because he was afraid of telling them what the relationship between he and Sarah was.

PaperClip

I think she's talking about the fact that Abraham let other men sleep with his wife because he was afraid of telling them what the relationship between he and Sarah was.

Aahh... I didn't get the impression that Abram allowed women to sleep/have sex with his wife.... but that he/they didn't disclose their relationship. Also, Sarah, before her name change, was Sarai, which means "domineering one". In other words, there's not the impression that Sarah/ai was an unwilling participant in the scheme. As a matter of fact, it was Sarai who suggested that Abram sleep with her servant to get an heir....

This is a good opportunity for us to walk through the Word of God to come to a common place about it....

Aahh... I didn't get the impression that Abram allowed women to sleep/have sex with his wife.... but that he/they didn't disclose their relationship. Also, Sarah, before her name change, was Sarai, which means "domineering one". In other words, there's not the impression that Sarah/ai was an unwilling participant in the scheme. As a matter of fact, it was Sarai who suggested that Abram sleep with her servant to get an heir....

I agree with this as well; I didn't have the impression that Sarah was sleeping with others, just that the two (in front of enemies), pretended that they weren't in a romantic relationship (married):dinner:.

kbragg

I agree with this as well; I didn't have the impression that Sarah was sleeping with others, just that the two (in front of enemies), pretended that they weren't in a romantic relationship (married):dinner:.

Right, and actually if you READ the text, this is the very reason Abraham accumulated most of his wealth. Sarah never slept with Pharoah or Abemelech, in fact God cursed their households and revealed to them that Abraham and Sarah were together. He never allowed then to touch her. Abraham was blessed because of his wife:grin:

The same thing happened with Isaac and Rebekah:grin:

Personally, I think it's awesome that God uses a BEAUTIFUL WOMAN to bless Abaham with wealth and not some other means. It really helps you to see how God truly sees women, not how many denominations would lead you to believe...

gottabme247

The old testament shows us our sinful nature. With everything that was going on and the commandments God set forth and all the sacrifices to atone for their sins over and over again.. It sets the stage and foundation for the new testament. God sent his son, Jesus to die for all of our sins once and for all. God wants a man to love his wife, just the way christ shows his love towards us.

Blossssom

Hey, Blossssom:

Hey hon...

Well, reading through the thread, it seems I may be mistaken... and I freely admit that. I haven't read that passage of scripture in some time, so perhaps I am remembering it incorrectly. I'm going to brush up on it over the weekend and get back to you all, but you all are probably right. You study the Bible faithfully while I tend to rely on readings from 20 years ago... and that is sad.

Anyway, I'll get back to you all ;)

Blossssom

This is a good opportunity for us to walk through the Word of God to come to a common place about it....

Women? You must mean men...

I'm glad that you all can discuss this scripture. Clarity is clearly needed because even Viv believes as I do that Abram "handed over" Sarah to heathen men.

Now, when I look up these scriptures and if I still believe that he did, we are going to have to talk about this so we can come to an understanding.

PaperClip

Women? You must mean men...

I'm glad that you all can discuss this scripture. Clarity is clearly needed because even Viv believes as I do that Abram "handed over" Sarah to heathen men.

Now, when I look up these scriptures and if I still believe that he did, we are going to have to talk about this so we can come to an understanding.

Oh!:blush: Yep... it should have said men....

Blossssom

Right, and actually if you READ the text, this is the very reason Abraham accumulated most of his wealth. Sarah never slept with Pharoah or Abemelech, in fact God cursed their households and revealed to them that Abraham and Sarah were together. He never allowed then to touch her. Abraham was blessed because of his wife:grin:

The same thing happened with Isaac and Rebekah:grin:

Personally, I think it's awesome that God uses a BEAUTIFUL WOMAN to bless Abaham with wealth and not some other means. It really helps you to see how God truly sees women, not how many denominations would lead you to believe...

How exactly did Abe accumulate his wealth?

Funny how God doesn't "allow" things to happen back in biblical days, but allows all hell to break loose today. There's a thread in the OT forum discussing God and why black women are single. Free will clearly didn't apply back in biblical days the way it applies today :rolleyes:

Back to Abe's wealth... what other means? If you weren't a king you were a farmer. Didn't seem to be much middle ground...

I'll tell you this, if I'm right about Sarah sleeping with the heathens, I know how Abe got his wealth. I may have to read the entire book to make sure I get this right.

Blossssom

Okay... I stand corrected *sniff*

What I don't get, though, is why did Sarah have to prove her "loyalty" to Abe by telling Abimelech that she was his sister?

BTW, did you all know that Abe and Sarah were half-siblings? What's that about?

Quite honestly, I don't know what Abimelech wanted with an old, barren woman anyway when he had a wife and as many slaves as he count up to.

I don't know why God struck Abimelech's household rendering all of his women sterile when he hadn't DONE anything to old and barren Sarah.

And then Abimelech gives Abe a bunch of money, land and cattle all so he could PRAY to God and have the curse removed from his household? A curse that was placed on his household when he hadn't done anything to deserve the curse?

If Abimelech did want Sarah, she herself said that Abe was her brother, so her sex should have been okay to lay with... if it wasn't okay, why did she even tell him that?

What's really going on in this Scripture?

Caramela

Jesus wasn't either :look:

Yes, that is true. But Jesus did love the Church and gave his life for it, say the scriptures. Christ was the example. It would be hard for Abraham to love his wife as Christ loved the Church if Christ hadn't even walked the earth yet to set the example wouldn't it? :spinning:

Blossssom

Yes, that is true. But Jesus did love the Church and gave his life for it, say the scriptures. Christ was the example. It would be hard for Abraham to love his wife as Christ loved the Church if Christ hadn't even walked the earth yet to set the example wouldn't it? :spinning:

True :yep: :yep:

klb120475

Um, when...? :look:

With me or with someone else?

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

With you.:lachen:

Finna go back and read all the posts first. BRB:yep:

ETA- Ok I'm back. I see I'm gon have to go back and study that passage a lil deeper. I don't wanna give you a generalized answer.

Last edited:

cocoberry10

No disagreement, Div and Meta... I almost forgot about this thread :)

I'm wondering what made me initiate it, though.

Even in the Christian Forum, you have the power to make me laugh:yep::lol:

I want to tell you Blossssom, you have the power to bring tears of joy to people's eyes, and this is a blessing. Especially in the sad and sorry times we now live in. Joy is so much a part of being connected to the Lord and even bringing others to Him in my opinion; and your ability to make light and fun of situations blesses many of us on this board in ways you may never know!!!!!:yep: