4B Natural ladies, what tools for hair?

happyjourney

What kind of combs, brushes, etc.. do you use for your hair? I'm about to BC (with only an inch or 2 of natural hair) in a few hours and although I'm going to have kinky twists extensions in my hair tomorrow, I just want to know so I can be prepared. Thank you...

With an inch or two of natural hair your fingers are the best tools to use. No need to purchase any additional tools if your going to put in extensions.....

I too agree with the ladies above... do not underestimate the power on finger detangling!!!

When I do "comb" which is more of a smoothing action AFTER I finger detangle, I use a jilbere shower come or a wide tooth bone comb.

and to straighten I use a Deman but I removed all but 3 rows of teeth... all that remains is one row on each side and one row in the middle. I use this basically to hold my hair taut, I do NOT detangle with it.

With an inch or two, I had to comb my hair and so a pick worked very well for me after my hair was well saturated with S Curl. But when my hair got longer, fingers worked best (Here's how I do it): YouTube - Finger-Combing 4B Hair My Way

In this video, my hair is a bit shorter but you can sort of see how I'd comb my hair if I was washing it in big plaits (I usually wear braids or twists (small) and never undo so I wash with them; but if I were wearing my hair out, I'd wash it in big plaits as in the video below) where I undo one plait at a time while my hair is drenched in shampoo or conditioner and stretch and comb through before replaiting it to move to the next. I post this video to show you that that's the same way it would comb out when drenched in S Curl and short, and you may not even need to stretch it:
YouTube - Type 4 Hair Drenched in Conditioner and Water

The end results of combing my TWA with this type of comb:
6046.JPG

...and S Curl when my hair was short was a nice fluffy afro that was as soft as it looks:
SelfdoneCornrowsandNaturalPuff-vi.jpg

AnotherPuffDoMarch2007-vi.jpg

Please plait your hair every night as soon as you can grab fairly big chunks (like an inch square) and then put on a plastic cap. If it's too short to plait, don't worry; just baggy the TWA. In the morning, when you undo and comb, it'll the easiest thing you ever did.

BTW, if you apply S Curl to damp hair--which you must to comb--after a wash, it will dry up hard. Don't let that worry or panic you. Just reapply later when your hair is fully dry to make it soft again and comb. This time it will stay soft.

You can actually start to enjoy the wonders of S Curl (by itself) as your moisturizer even before you BC. Apply to growth and baggy and enjoy easy to comb soft afro hair at your roots.

You will come to enjoy your hair if you follow this simple suggestion. I promise you.

I didn't really start fingercombing until I had about shoulder-length hair. Also notice when my hair was in the mid-length stage, I would stretch and comb. Stretching opens up the coils for easy combing.

Last edited:
Ladies, thank you so much for your suggestions! I have to go walk to CVS to get the pic, scurl and wide tooth comb, but I'm gonna check out some YT videos first. I'm so nervous and excited! Thanks again

Back