4 Month Ayurveda Challenge!

Please add me!! I've been wanting to start using ayurveda products for a while. not sure what oils and powders I want to use , but I'll start as soon as possible

Just oiled my scalp last night w/Vatika. Moisturized w/Afroveda shea-amla whippted butter then sealed w/Vatika.

Dcing right now with Joico K PAK, Suave, mixed with Shikakai, Bhrami, Alma, Horsetail & Nettle. I will finish up with a Fenugreek, Bhringraj tea rinse.

Okay so on my luch break I bought some Amla oil. So Amla oil and Cocasta & Shikakai Oil will be my oils. I already have hibiscus powder at home and I want to purchase some bhringraj, kalpi tone, and Shikakai powder. I cant wait to get started!

Still in my braids for now. Maybe taking these out within the next few days because my scalp is sore and I'm having a few headaches. While in braids, I'll be using various oils: Alma Gold, Brahmi, and/or my homemade oil. Out of braids, I plan to use my powder cowashes and henna to control my NG. (I'm 14 weeks into my 6 month stretch).

My favorite powders are: Brahmi and Maka. Will be trying Hibiscus and Kalpi Tone soon.

Sorry It's taken so long for me to post my pics and reggie. I'll use my reveal pics from last challenge and I'll continue to do the same reggie.

flat iron shine.jpg

1back.jpg

A daily moisture leave in mix of ayurvedic tea (maki, henna, amla, brahmi), Prepoos with amla oil, 1 to 2 washes per week with Dr. Bronner's shikakai soap, seal with a mixture of vatika and castor oil.

oh yeah i didnt post my reggie. here it is: (weekly)
prepoo with amla oil over night
wash using Shikakai, Brahmi, and Kapoor Kalchi (sp) powder
co wash the grit using Tressemme con
dc with queen helene dc for 30 mins
apply leave in
rolller set

ETA: Starting pic in siggy!

Today I did my paste. It was not as messy as I thought it would be. My hair came out so soft. I just new when it dried completely it would feel course. To my surprise my new growth was very soft and hardly any shedding. I LOVE AYURVEDIC! I can stretch without the worry of losing lots of hair. Maybe it was just me but the paste smelled really good.

My powders are on the way! Hopefully they will be here by Tuesday. My hair days are Tues, Thurs, and Sat. Two were backordered but should be on the way next week. I'm excited. I need to go to Sally's to get yet another applicator bottle. I've been there on two separate occasions buying applicator bottles. I think I will pick up 3-4 and be done with it. Gotta get some tea bags from FNWL too.

I prepooed overnight with Vatika and at some point I need to get off my behind and wash & dc before the day is up.

I'll post my starting pic Mar 31st.

Here's my current regimen. I plan on tweaking it by adding more A-vedic products to it:
3x's per week scritch my scalp with my MT mix containing Brahmi/Amla oil and BringaRaj oil.
2x's per week Co-wash with an A-vedic powder conditioner mix: 1Tbs of powder to 1/4 cup of condish. (Shikakai-1 part, Amla-2 parts, and Aritha-4 parts)
1x per week after 5-min Joico K-pak reconstructor treatment, moisture DC containing Rhassoul
Final rinse after every co-wash/clarifying/DC treatment with ACV water mixture.

About every 6-8 weeks I do a full Henna/Indigo treatment on my DC day which includes Kalpi Tone. I get better gray coverage when I use Kalpi Tone. Eventually, when I run out of Indigo, I will only use the Kalpi Tone with the Henna. Bi-weekly or when I remember I treat my hairline to a Hendigo mixture in order to keep the gray covered. I got away from it when I joined the MT challenge because I wanted to track my hair growth by how much my gray hair grew. I didn't notice a change in my growth rate (0.5"/month) so now I'll be keeping it covered.

I want to incorporate more BringaRaj, Brahmi, and Hisbiscus into my regimens and I plan on purchasing Methi seeds and leaf to try. I also want to make/try an A-vedic leave-in moisturizing spray to use daily.

I'm late also.

OK, here is mine routine.

A weekly paste of 2 parts Amla, 2 parts Maka, 1 part Shikakai, 1 part Brahmi. Pre oil with Amla, Vatika or Coconut oil.

I will also be adding a monthly Henna/Amla/Indigo as soon as I figure out how to get a dark brown mix.

Daily mist of homemade moisture mix, then Cantu Shea butter Leave-in, then seal with my Butter mix or Unpetroleum.

I will also be bunning daily and I will begin using MT again. Not sure why I stopped but I have a ton of it so I will use it up.

OT: Ivy if it's ok I would like to PM you about covering gray with Henna.:yep:

Here is my starting pic.

me2008.jpg

ok....taking a deep breath....I am ...IN for this challenge! I'm scared, really i am because there's so many different directions on how to participate and steep teas and or pastes but i'm at my wit's end with my hair and need to try this.

I'm going to get my supplies from the Nadina store downtown Bklyn this week and start this upcoming weekend. oh boy! Any tips or suggestions for newbies to Ayurvedic?

I might add pictures to the 3 month thread after all! I just did a DC with the powders (shikakai, amla, neem), amla oil, vatika oil, Giovanni's, cholesterol, honey, and Chi Keratin Mist.

My hair looks great again. I was bummed this week because my hair hasn't looked the same since I cut it. Well, that DC brought it back. It looks awesome again. I could do large twists again. I am very pleased. I still LOVE ayurveda.

Well last week I washed with regular shampoo and conditioner, just because I was coming out of the previous ayurvedic challenge, and nono, I will not be doing that again. My hair was not nearly as soft. One question I have for you guys who've been doing this for a while, what do you do to get a deep moisturizing condition?

Thanks flowinlocks, I use condish so I will do it twice a week. Sometimes I can over do a good thing.

Well last week I washed with regular shampoo and conditioner, just because I was coming out of the previous ayurvedic challenge, and nono, I will not be doing that again. My hair was not nearly as soft. One question I have for you guys who've been doing this for a while, what do you do to get a deep moisturizing condition?

When I want a deep moisturizing treatment I usually mix Bhrami, Bhringraj, Amla, 2 or more of my fav. deep conds. And a little oil of my choice. I make a nice creamy (batter) & apply it to wet hair. Put on a plastic cap for few hours and go about my merry way. My hair feels sooooo soft, strong & moist when I'm done. I don't usually add the Shikakai or Neem to this mixture as they tend to be more drying. I don't use Aritha at all:nono: I have heard some of the members rave about moisture from Hibiscus powder. I will def. be picking some of this up.:yep:

On Sunday I prepoo with Amla/shikaki oil, shampoo with AO rose, condition with Amla/shikaki/brahmi with Suave coconut, DC, leave in with salerm 21. Ladies, sometime my Ayurveda mix with conditioner gets watery and clumps do anyone have this problem?

I somehow managed to miss this new thread, lol!

Sooo, I'm in this challenge and I kinda-sorta use ayurveda but only tentatively to this point. I still don't really have a regimen, even with regular non-ayurvedic stuff, so I'll just add some ayurveda to my hair cares as I go...

I co-wash and DC at lest 2-3x/wk. I usually pre-poo with either vatika oil or my homemade ayurveda oil with various random powders, coconut oil and castor oil. When this oil is finished, I'll make another and keep note of what I add and amounts...

I will incorporate brahmi, amla and bringraj tea to my co-washes and DCs. Will also tentatively give shikakai and neem a try for a clarifying wash, see how that works. I'll leave aritha for facials as I hear it's drying and I know it'll be drying for me. I just know, so I'll leave it be!

To DC, I will try out bringraj, brahmi, fenugreek and hibiscus tea with maybe a little of my DC of choice for the day. I need to work this out still...

I also tea rinse with fenugreek leaves (or powder if I'm up to straining), peppermint, sage, rosemary, nettle, horsetail etc - usually very random - I shall take note of this too....

I also use rosewater, aloe vera and glycerine in my leave in spray and often seal with shea butter and castor oil, though I also use various other butters and oils depending on mood.

Phew! No wonder I don't have a regimen, lol - too much wonderful stuff to try out!

Oh, I also henna every 100 days or so, as I only use a comb then, and Lord knows, there's no way to remove those twigs without combing! I'll only use pastes when I henna - all other times I'll use teas.

May I thank the OP for this challenge and all of you lovely ladies! I'm learning so much from you all, and a special thanks to Flowinlocks who's been super patient with me and answered my questions so clearly!

Happy ayurvedic hair growing all!!!

My starting pic will be posted end of the month if that's okay please?

Yesterday I:

• pre-pooed with Vatika oil for awhile
  • rinsed and applied my Ayurvedic tea for 30 minutes
  • washed it out with Suave Humectant
  • applied ORS Replenishing Conditioner for 15 minutes with heat
  • washed out and rollerset.

All of this added up to a wonderful rollerset! Pics on my blog.

ok....taking a deep breath....I am ...IN for this challenge! I'm scared, really i am because there's so many different directions on how to participate and steep teas and or pastes but i'm at my wit's end with my hair and need to try this.

I'm going to get my supplies from the Nadina store downtown Bklyn this week and start this upcoming weekend. oh boy! Any tips or suggestions for newbies to Ayurvedic?

As she already said, use one powder and one oil at a time so that you can gauge the full effect of each powder on your hair before mixing. Also, always oil your hair before using any powders in any way shape or form.

I've attached my starting pics. Here's my reggie:

Do a paste or tea with Amla, Shik, and Brahmi 1x/wk
Add Amla and Brahmi to DC, I currently use Alter Ego and Sitrinillah but I will change that soon b/c I'm not a fan anymore
I moisturize 2x/day w/ QB Burdock Root and Olive &Amla cream
Seal W/ Amla Gold, Vatika Oil or frosting
Pre-Poo 2x/month with above oil, or shikakai cocasta
Henna every 4-6 wks

Attachments

• ayu1.jpg
    ayu1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 8
  • ayu2.jpg
    ayu2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 7
  • ayu-back.jpg
    ayu-back.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 5
MCrzyGr, I know you only give 2 heat passes but I'm not able to adhere to that. My hair in it's natural state = me cutting off tangled ends/single strand knots. I'll be flatironing weekly. Can I still stay in this challenge??

Last edited:
^^^ No I'm sorry. Only because I would have to give an exception for all of the naturals and that's not fair to the relaxed heads who would love to use heat as well. But still keep us updated with your products and how Ayurveda helps your hair. Sorry.

Back