4 Month Ayurveda Challenge!

Sign me back up. I dropped out of the last one but realized I was still doing my ayurveda stuff anyway :look:

I'd like to sign up again too. I haven't taken my after pic yet, I'm doing it tomorrow, but I'd did a pre strand test, and I think it might have been grazing mbl. So imagine what 4 months will do.

And I want to work on my consistency and incorporate more tea rinses during this challenge.

me too please

I'm currently using amla and vatika oils. For powders i am using Shikakai, Hesh Kapoor and Brahmi. I have been using them once a week as I was'nt so sure about them but with all the valuable info and tips that I have learned off of this site, I can step my game up a bit.
I plan to do the tea rinses 4 times a week.

starting pic as of 3.02.09

015-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Okay I want to join but I have some questions first. I want to make sure what I use "qualifies" and I think I may want to add 1-2 powders and would like suggestions.

Currently:
prepoo 2x/wk with Vatika Frosting (don't do scalp massages but will add that to the reggie)
seal daily with Cocasta & Shikaki oil (could do scalp massages with this oil also)
poo with Amala & Shikaki poo at least 1x/monthly

So those count right? I wanted to add powders to my cowashes and dc (like flowinlocks--what do you use?) and wanted suggestions. I'm relaxed and 8 wks post. Plan to stretch to either 17 or 24 wks. Mixing the powders in is just as simple as stirring them in right? How much do I use? Sorry so many questions but I'm not a halfway do it kinda a girl. I prefer to be really informed and adapt as I need to :) ! Also when you suggest powders can you explain the benefits also? TIA.

(copy of a previous post)
I try to keep it as simple as possible, I cowash 2 to 5 times a week, depending on my mood , weather, schedule, etc. although I have been trying to commit to a least 4 days since joining the 3 month Ayurveda challenge. I usually do he powders in my cond. (Any cheapie of your choice) for my cowash. It helps to already have the powders premixed to save time and once again make it easier, I'm all about simplicity:yep: I have a canister with 1 part (box) Amla, 2 parts or boxes Bhrami, Bhringraj. This also takes the guess work out of measuring. I just add a teaspoon to my cond. Sometimes I add a few spoons to make more of a cond./paste. These powders give AMAZING moisture & strength. For this reason I tend to use them more than the others. However I do have a container with Shikakai, Neem, Amla, 1 part (box) each. I use this when I feel like I want my hair a bit cleaner. Shikakai strengthens the root wonderfully, but can be drying if misused, sometimes I add a spoon of it to my previously mentioned mixture. I do tea rinses whenever I feel like it , maybe three times a month, sometimes more. followed by my dc with the powders. The tea really does stop shedding it it's tracks. I do pastes mixed with water only when it's easy for me to rinse REMEMBER SIMPLICITY:grin:, so this is only when I'm no more than 4 wks. post. After that piont I mix with cond only. MAKE SURE you do the pastes on oiled hair. And DONOT manipulate the hair when they are in. I have homemade oils from these powders also, I use them for daily scalp massages & overall maintenance. I do believe the pastes mixed with water are more potent, but doing the powders in your cond. can help tremendously without the risk of overdrying, plus rinsing is easier when you have a lot of ng. especially for beginners!!! My daily style is a bun
Ayurveda is only difficult as you make it:yep: HTH

ETA : I have also included Fenugreek, Horsetail, & Nettle to my list of herbs, soon to add Hibiscus.

I want to join but can I use this with a sew in? I've read so much on this but am still like HUH from teas to paste from it turning hair colors like red I don't know which one to get!!!

I want to join in on the fun. I currently only have alma and neem powders and vatika oil. but, i will add another oil and powder. This will be my FIRST challenge. Ive been lurking since May... I bought my membership as a gift to myself ! so here I go! I'm still learning how to navigate. So, How do I get my name on the list.

lusciousladie07 there is an Indian Grocier in Pineville, Im bad on directions but, is not far from the Carolina Place mall. Their selection is small but they have a few oils and powders to start you off and they are very cheap!

I forgot to post what Im going to do.
Ive been pree-pooing once a week with vatika and whenever my hair needs some shine. I Tea rinse at least once a week somtimes more with a mixture of Alma and Neem. Sometimes i add coconut milk to the mix and use it as a paste. (more moisture). I just started using Mega-tek, mixed with LOTS of aloe Vera gel. I put it on my scalp daily and rinse it out. NO heat at all...detangle once every two weeks. I plan on getting braids in the next two weeks. That means NO, paste only tea rinses.

Flowinlocks--Thank you so much! That is so helpful. It needs to be simple for me because if its too much I will definitely fall off. Well because I am 8 wks post and plan to stretch for even longer I will go with adding powders to my co washes and dc for now. I like the premixing in a canister also. Here is the toughest part---deciding what powders to purchase!

OP--I'm in!

ETA: I see I'm already in. I hope I can fit it in my siggy. I also re-read your post Flowinlocks and I guess I could try the tea rinsing also but I got scared the last time I tried it with regular tea. It was drying to my hair. I'm not sure I was using it appropriately so I will try again with the ayurveda teas.

Last edited:
^^If you're going to send money, you might as well get it offline: fromnaturewithlove.com sells it. I mention then because I have bought from them and consider them a reliable seller.

I am back from Berkeley with a grocery bag full of supplies.
My powders are Neem, Amla, Aritha,Brahmi, and Shikakai.My oils are Amla, Shikakai, Almond, and coconut. I bought two kinds of Henna powder. OK, NOW WHAT? I am going to do my research tonight until I get a regimen.

I am back from Berkeley with a grocery bag full of supplies.
My powders are Neem, Amla, Aritha,Brahmi, and Shikakai.My oils are Amla, Shikakai, Almond, and coconut. I bought two kinds of Henna powder. OK, NOW WHAT? I am going to do my research tonight until I get a regimen.

Shoot I got so sidetracked on this board I forgot that's what I need to do--buy powders. Off to order!

Thanks Ladies.. I will be heading off to pineville tomorrow to stock up. I also checked out that fromnaturewithlove.com site. If i don't find it at the store.. i will definately order from the site... Any suggestions on what to buy for someone transitioning with hair on the dry side?

ladies I wanted to share, i just ordered from http://www.ruchita.mybisi.com/
I am a product junkie so I can honestly say this seller has the best customer service.
Everything I need is there, plus samples. She was out of maka but sent me an email when she had some more, like 3 days later. Now thats customer servilce!!
Plus there is a discount code in the discount section on this board.

now can anyone tell me how to make a paste that dont clog my shower??

also I think one of those electric tea kettles from walgreens for 5.oo would be perfect for teas or walgreens have the small coffee pot for 9.99

I'm in. I just finished the Feb-Mar No Buy Challenge and I still have A-vedic powders I need to use up. I believe 4 months should cover it.

ladies I wanted to share, i just ordered from http://www.ruchita.mybisi.com/
I am a product junkie so I can honestly say this seller has the best customer service.
Everything I need is there, plus samples. She was out of maka but sent me an email when she had some more, like 3 days later. Now thats customer servilce!!
Plus there is a discount code in the discount section on this board.

That's good to know because I just ordered from there yesterday. She was out of the maka again. I just wrote in the notes section to e-mail me when she has it. Does anyone know of any indian stores in the dmv? TIA!

^^OMG there are 10 in Arlington! Thanks so much! There are all over the place here too bc I saw some in Annandale, Alexandria, etc.

I'd like to partake in this challenge. I've been interested in this for a while, since my hairveda products are almost done...I'll try this. Still going to be using the strillnilah mask from hairveda for my deep conditioners...the vatika frosting as a pre-poo oil...

Now need to figure out 1 more oil to get (im thinking amla)

and 2 powders to use for a basic wash

Ayurveda Challenge #2!
Join this great bandwagon, you will NOT regret it! The benefits are endless.

This Challenge Begins March 1 and ends June 30
The Last Day to Sign up for this challenge is March 15th

The Rules:
1. No Direct Heat
2. You must use at least two Auyrvedic oils
3. You must use at least two Auyrvedic powders
4. 2 Heat Passes (I'm feeling generous)

Any takers!

For those who want to join, but don't know where to start:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...d.php?t=183305
The previous challenge thread is here:
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=310841
The current results thread is here:
http://longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=343331

Challengers:
theprincess098
Denise11
Elis829
joib
flowinlocks
LadyD2u
shae101s
sheba1
4mia
Faith
kyna323
JetBlackHair
2inspireU
Rosie8604
AVE_One
lusciousladie07
Itown
Platinum
Shay72
rben
Jaxhair
Eisani
crownofglory1985
tatambabyy
tay_luv
Ivy_Santolina

Ok....sign me up! 2 heat passes...I can hang with that:yep:

Alright Ladies, the challenge has begun. Please post a regimen and a starting pic, thx! Happy Growing!

Starting pic in Avatar

Products:
Shampoo: Organic Root Stimulator Creamy Aloe Shampoo
Deep Conditioner: Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner
Leave-In: Coconut Oil
Moisturizer: Hairveda Whipped Cream
Powders: Amla, Aritha, Brahmi, Henna, Hibiscus, Shikakai
Oils: Ylang Ylang Essential, Rosemary Essential, Coconut, Vatika, Amla
Other: Fantasia IC Olive Oil Serum, Fantasia IC Heat Protectant Serum, Lottabody Setting Lotion

Routine:
1. Pre-poo, Ayurvedic Tea, Deep Condition, Leave-In and Style every seven days
2. Befor styling apply Essential Oil mix to scalp and wet hair
3. Moisturize nightly
4. Next Relaxer July 1

Back