3a-3c naturals with trouble growing hair long

BBritdenise

Why is it that everyone I know thinks that because of my hair texture, it should be easy for me to grow my hair. My textures carts from 3a in the very front to 3b at the top and back and 3c in the middle. I can't seem to get a good regimen and people think it should be easy for me. A lot of times I wish my hair was 4b so it might be stronger. Idk. My hair is weak and frail, but since LHCF I think it's starting to grow. I just hate the typical double standard. I'll post pics of my various curls later if anyone is interested.

BraunSugar

Why is it that everyone I know thinks that because of my hair texture, it should be easy for me to grow my hair. My textures carts from 3a in the very front to 3b at the top and back and 3c in the middle. I can't seem to get a good regimen and people think it should be easy for me. A lot of times I wish my hair was 4b so it might be stronger. Idk. My hair is weak and frail, but since LHCF I think it's starting to grow. I just hate the typical double standard. I'll post pics of my various curls later if anyone is interested.

I'm interested. :look: Sorry you have been having trouble growing your hair.

empressri

Welcome to the world where people have all sorts of idiosyncrasies.

Get used to it sister, and learn to ignore.

Now that you're here, we got you and will help you retain length.

luckiestdestiny

I'm not in your category but don't think the 4's have strong hair. That's the mistake stylists make and why a lot of us have broken off hair from all the "pulling" etc they do assuming our hair can "handle it". As for strong hair, I'm 4a and I know I don't. My hair is fine and requires a boost of moisture and silk proteins occasionally for strength. I've found Low manipulation is good for us fine hairs (of all types)

BBritdenise

BraunSugar said:
I'm interested. :look: Sorry you have been having trouble growing your hair.

Here are some pics of my curl patterns throughout my head:

These are all damp with no product and unstretched.

Attachments

• image-1102693168.jpg
    image-1102693168.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 200
  • image-548599050.jpg
    image-548599050.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 223
  • image-4584914.jpg
    image-4584914.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 198
  • image-4160714567.jpg
    image-4160714567.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 200
  • image-1743425816.jpg
    image-1743425816.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 185
  • image-2577781133.jpg
    image-2577781133.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 170

BBritdenise

luckiestdestiny said:
I'm not in your category but don't think the 4's have strong hair. That's the mistake stylists make and why a lot of us have broken off hair from all the "pulling" etc they do assuming our hair can "handle it". As for strong hair, I'm 4a and I know I don't. My hair is fine and requires a boost of moisture and silk proteins occasionally for strength. I've found Low manipulation is good for us fine hairs (of all types)

Thanks for the correction on that. I just notice that the majority of people with tighter curl patterns have an easier time than I do growing their hair long, with tighter curls you can do more with your hair. Another issue I have is a lack of kinkiness. My hair is fine and silky as well so it doesn't hold styles long.

luckiestdestiny

Thanks for the correction on that. I just notice that the majority of people with tighter curl patterns have an easier time than I do growing their hair long, with tighter curls you can do more with your hair. Another issue I have is a lack of kinkiness. My hair is fine and silky as well so it doesn't hold styles long.

Your hair looks exactly like my grannys on my dad's side who has never had hair longer than chin length (usually about a few inches shorter). Hers looks more like your 3a areas... everyone always assumed she'd have it "easier" but yet my other grandmother with coarser hair is MBL all the time. BUT again, she practices low manipulation.

There are a few things I suggested but she doesn't listen. I know we have different hair types but her hair is soooo soft. ANd she grabs a brush because her hair is not going to coil up. BUT when I look at it later it's like her whole head of hair is in that brush. I want to scream: "back away from the brush!!!" (but it's in vain because I've said it before and she just :rolleyes:) . Just because she can doesn't mean she should as everyone is different. If you have super soft, super fine hair, you need to imo find styles that work for you and tools as well. Re evalute the things you're doing (what types of combs, brushes, etc. Is your hair dry or oil? What's going on and adjust accordingly. But then you say you are starting to get your reggie together. Hopefully others can help with that.

I'm hoping those with your type will chime in. I'm thinking low manipulation styles, and buns when you get to that point, etc. I am curious to see what they come up with and I'll check in because maybe grangran will listen eventually (but I doubt it because to her I'll alwas be a child no matter how old I am :grin:).

Last edited:

BraunSugar

Here are some pics of my curl patterns throughout my head:

These are all damp with no product and unstretched.

What's your regimen like? What's your current length? What's your goal? What do you think has been the biggest problem you've faced in your journey? My hair is on the kinkier side, but I have learned a lot from people with all hair types. Maybe some of us w/tighter hair can offer you some advice too.

BBritdenise

My hair is SL when stretched, unstretched it's NL. My goal is APL unstretched. I don't think my hair would look good much longer because it's so thin. I only wash my hair with shampoo about every two or three weeks. I recently started dc twice per week. I usually condition with ORS replenishing conditioner, both as a dc and and a leave in. This week I've been using vo5 moisture milks because I ran out of my favorite. I seal with evoo. My hair touches water daily if not more bc it dries out so fast. I mostly do WNGs but this week i had to start doing a banana clip puff bc I'm working in a medical setting for school. Oh I also apply MN whenever I remember.

Honey Bee

I'm curious about this too, op. I'm 90% 4 a/b, but there's a weird silky patch from under the crown to the nape that just keeps breaking off. I mean, that one section is why I'm not bsl right now. Well, I air dried loose and, lo and behold, that section was curling up like the op's. I'm texlaxed, yeah, but the rest if it doesnt curl, it frizzes and looks like blowdried 4b. Where did it come from and how can I make it stop ruining my hemline? :lol::nono:

irisak

Op have you thought about trying the curly girl no poo method? My dd has very silky very curly hair that stayed dry. Now I only co-wash and clarify with acv monthly. I also find that I have to keep her hair braided (well I think any ps would work but she's six so we're not bunning yet lol). It took about 1 month for me to feel the difference but her hair doesn't feel dry anymore and holds moisture for a few days after washing and I think it's because I quit stripping it with shampoo.

Eta: it's a modified curly girl but it works for us lol.
Sent from my HTC EVO using LHCF. any spelling errors should be blamed on auto-correct.

Last edited:

BBritdenise

irisak I don't know anything about that method but it sounds like something that might work for me since I really dont put much on my hair other than water conditioner and oil.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
maybe you need more protein? like a leave-in or something with plenty of protein?

ETA: does your hair like reconstructors? a good cone-free reconstructor that I like is Giovanni Nutrafix Hair Reconstructor. Renpure organics makes a nice reconstructor that has silk protein. CHI makes a keratin leave-in spray. Maybe you could try one of those? :)

Last edited:

getoffmylawn

I'm somewhere in the 3 category and only had problems when I bleached and flat ironed it almost every single day. The bleach really destroyed it and the most I could do was cut it off to shoulder length last June and now I'm bsl. Too much conditioner may make your hair too fragile I've read but since yours stays perpetually dry I think the brand your using is no good. I use styling products usually but sometimes just go with conditioners by Joico and Garnier-it will look like my siggy with just conditioner or a milky product. I think mine is exactly like yours- 3c at the crown and 3a/b everywhere else.

Attachments

• SAM_0040.jpg
    SAM_0040.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 130
  • SAM_0043.jpg
    SAM_0043.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 122

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light

You wanna swap? Cause I don't have the silky, and that might be why my curls don't clump except for the 3c in the back, and my whole head goes poof...frizz city! :ohwell: Your hair looks totally :lick: to me!

I'd strongly recommend the CG method. The condition of my hair improved nicely, and I've only been using it a few weeks. It definitely helped with curl clumping, and definition. In terms of hair strength, I can only say my hair loves protein, and I do a strong protein weekly...I think that's what's helped me to retain so well.

irisak

You wanna swap? Cause I don't have the silky, and that might be why my curls don't clump except for the 3c in the back, and my whole head goes poof...frizz city! :ohwell: Your hair looks totally :lick: to me!

I'd strongly recommend the CG method. The condition of my hair improved nicely, and I've only been using it a few weeks. It definitely helped with curl clumping, and definition. In terms of hair strength, I can only say my hair loves protein, and I do a strong protein weekly...I think that's what's helped me to retain so well.
Yep that and oil rinsing, where I saturate her hair in oil, let it sit, and then rinse with condish completely turned my daughters hair around. My daughters hair is completely different from mine although I'm a silky 4A and also struggle to retain length, so I understand why the misconception that all people with your hair type would have long flowing hair could be frustrating. Until I had my daughter that was my assumption also and I was shocked that my bald baby didn't have a headful of silky locks at 2 lol. Instead getting her to BSB has been a constant uphill battle. Meanwhile my sister with type 4B thick, dense hair maid of steel is able to place her hair into a ponytail on a Monday, not touch that ponytail with oil, moisturizer, a comb a brush, water, or any other grooming tool and seems to grow strong hair with no problem. Her son has the same hair type and he also has a head full of strong hair, that never rubbed out in the back.

Evolving78

sounds and looks like you could benefit from some light protein treatments. also what do you use to moisturize your hair with? how are you manipulating your hair? when was your last trim? do you comb your hair a lot?

ok i see you use just water, conditioner, and oil. that's not a bad thing. just depends on the conditioner. how often do you clarify? you may need a trim and lay off of the wash and goes for a spell. try bunning or stretched styles. do you have a lot of breakage?

Last edited:

irisak

sounds and looks like you could benefit from some light protein treatments. also what do you use to moisturize your hair with? how are you manipulating your hair? when was your last trim? do you comb your hair a lot?

ok i see you use just water, conditioner, and oil. that's not a bad thing. just depends on the conditioner. how often do you clarify? you may need a trim and lay off of the wash and goes for a spell. try bunning or stretched styles. do you have a lot of breakage?

You have a point about psing, Eveyone I know with type 3 hair that was BSB and beyond did some form of protective styling. My daughters grandmother is type 3, and practices a low mani, psing reggie without even realizing it, in fact she thinks half the stuff I do to my daughters hair is crazy lol. She cut her hair to neck length and was back beyond APL in less than a year and all she does is bun it, and only detangles on wash day. After her cut she started bunning as soon as it was long enough to pull it back again.

candy626

Just because you have Type 3 hair doesn't guarantee that your hair will be long. Curly hair can be quite complex. I'm a true type 3/type 4 mix so my hair has elements of both. I also have fine hair.

From your pictures it looks like your hair is fine also. Fine hair CAN NOT be overloaded with product OR too much conditioner. I went through a period years ago as a teen where all I did was cowash, and would even use conditioner as a leave in. I did that for months on end but my hair did not retain at all and my ends did not look good. I ended up eventually cutting my hair.

My suggestion would be to incorporate a clarifying shampoo in your regimen once every two weeks. You also need to lay of deep conditioning 2x aweek. That sounds like conditioner overload. Too much conditioner makes your hair weak and brittle. I also agree with everyone else about getting some protein in your regimen. Maybe even do an actual protein treatment.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
While my hair grows quickly, I have trouble with breakage, splits, and retaining length that looks healthy (meaning it will get long but it looks raggedy and I end up trimming back WL to MBL).

Also, I'm noticing my dd1 (hair twin) has the same issues. Her hair is super fine. While my dd2 started off with no hair and has almost as much as we do - her hair is thick, less fine, and a tighter 4 curl. I think dd2 might end up with longer/stronger/more durable hair than both of us.

My saving grace has been bunning and updos. Twists don't hold but I'll do an occasional Twist N Curl (ala CurlyNikki). WnG's only last a day. My hair looks great flat ironed and around MBL but I rarely straighten.

Productwise - I'd say creamy or watery protein leave-ins, butters to smooth my hair, and co-washing works for me.

BBritdenise

I noticed everyone is saying protein. I have done a protein treatment once with aphogee 2 step and my hair felt like a totally different head of hair afterwards. I do think I need another one. I didn't stock up on it bc everyone on this forum seems to fear protein.

I don't know what qualifies as a moisturizer... So I guess I don't moisturize? I only use conditioner oil and water. I also rinse my hair out at the end of every day. I think you guys are right about protective styling. I need to find something that works for my hair. I'm also guilty of being extremely lazy and not wrapping my hair up at night. My hair grows very slow.. It grew about 6 inches in 15 months. :( I self trimmed my hair from grazing CBL to just above SL because it was so uneven and the ends were so damaged. That was about a month ago. I don't have any split ends now but I have a lot of SSKs and I know that comes from not protective styling

irisak

I noticed everyone is saying protein. I have done a protein treatment once with aphogee 2 step and my hair felt like a totally different head of hair afterwards. I do think I need another one. I didn't stock up on it bc everyone on this forum seems to fear protein.

I don't know what qualifies as a moisturizer... So I guess I don't moisturize? I only use conditioner oil and water. I also rinse my hair out at the end of every day. I think you guys are right about protective styling. I need to find something that works for my hair. I'm also guilty of being extremely lazy and not wrapping my hair up at night. My hair grows very slow.. It grew about 6 inches in 15 months. :( I self trimmed my hair from grazing CBL to just above SL because it was so uneven and the ends were so damaged. That was about a month ago. I don't have any split ends now but I have a lot of SSKs and I know that comes from not protective styling
I use kinky curly knot today for DD and seal with coconut oil.

leiah

I have fine 3A waist length hair. Almost every product I use has protein.
I also henna my hair every 6-8 weeks.

A good protein leave in is profectiv break free daily leave in strengthener. It makes my hair very soft

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light

I think for most of us in the 3's (from what I've read) we need protein almost more than moisture. I can tell you if I skip that weekly hard protein, it's a disaster...SSK's and split ends all over the place. My whole week is moisture...co-cleansing, oil rinsing, detangling with conditioner, heavy butter to seal...protein keeps my hair strong, and helps me to retain. It also helps me to actually have moist hair. candy626 was telling the truth when she said too much conditioner (too much moisture & not enough protein) makes hair weak, and brittle. The one part of the CG routine that I skip is leaving the conditioner in my hair....that just ain't gonna work.

Don't be afraid of regular trims either.

SmilingElephant

I have 3b/3c curls in the front and crown areas of my head...When i first went natural i thought these areas were heat damaged....but i started doing the CG method...low and behold..what i thought was "scab hair" was just loose curls that need moisture and now the curl up and boing with glee!:D

Mine needs moisture bc my hair is not fine....i do use products that contain protein every now and then tho.

I would use a "moisturizer" on days i don't co-wash. Like today, i just sprayed my Tresemme Naturals/water mix on my hair and used my R&B moisturizer on top to kind of seal it in (the moisturizer has lots of oils in it...so i didn't use an oil to seal).

candy626

BBritdenise said:
What's the difference between a moisturizer and a conditioner

"Moisturizer" can be used on dry hair and has lighter penetration qualities then conditioner which should only be used on wet or damp hair and can really penetrate through your hair strands.

candy626

You should also consider trying Lustrasilk cholesterol.

Their cholesterol seems to have qualities of both a moisturizer and a protein product but is neither. I can use it on my hair everyday without any build up and it seems to define my curls, make them soft without causing any of the issues I experienced by using conditioner as a leave in.

You can use it after shampooing/conditioning or after rinsing your hair with water. It's a good leave in and styling aid that could replace conditioner as a leave in.