2010 OCT/MegaTek Challenge (July 31 - Dec 31)

Anew

I still have some MT left, half a bottle.

I've never been consistent with it though. I may unofficially join, I suck at challenges

There you are! :grin: I was hoping you would pop on.

Although it's hard to tell, I have issues with my edges as well. My main concern is this thin spot (I'm obsessed). Right now, I have a three finger forehead. I'm not trying to advance to four fingers.:look:

:rofl: I used to have a five finger forehead but thanks to MT I've progressed to 3.5 fingers (which is a huge deal for me)! I laugh about it now but before it was a real obsession. I had to get bangs to try to cover that bad boy up!

KinkyGenius

Are people no longer doing protein and reconstructor treatments since both of these products are so protein-heavy? I just purchased MT for my mother's thinning areas and edges, I plan on using it nightly by just applying it to her scalp mixed with oils.

Ms_CoCo37

I'm not sure how I'll use OCT. Maybe I'll use it every other co-wash. I'll apply MT with grapeseed oil to my scalp everyday and up my fresh garlic intake to avoid shedding. Last time I used MT I took a garlic supplement and shampooed with garlic during my installation take-down with great results/minimal shedding. Garlic supplements aren't for everyone, though, so if you decide to take them make sure they're okay for your body! :)

Great point! I need to order some garlic supplements for myself. with as much garlic as I eat, I probably won't need them.:grin:

Ms_CoCo37

::Raises hand:: Ooh, I'm in! What a coincidence that a new MT/OCT challenge is starting cuz I'm waiting on some MT in the mail (if the slower-than-molasses-in-January mail carrier hurries up in time for the challenge start date!). :nono:

Thanks YaniraNaturally for the referral! :grin:
I'll get some starting pics up soon.

I'm glad you're joining us! Will this be your first time using MT?

Ms_CoCo37

I still have some MT left, half a bottle.

I've never been consistent with it though. I may unofficially join, I suck at challenges

Anew, I'm not the best at being consistent myself. No...seriously, I'm pretty bad.:look:

I'm going to try my best at this challenge...especially since I started it. :grin:

Feel free to jump in any time (officially or unofficially)!

Ms_CoCo37

You must be my edge twin, b/c I was thinking this exact thing last night!

I've started w/ the OCT water spray and 'm going to add a couple drops of lavender and rosemary EO to it. i think I'll be doing this once a day at night.

Edge twin, are you just mixing a little cell therapy with water (distilled/tap)? I think I might like to try your spray. I have both of those EOs. :yep:

Ms_CoCo37

I almost forgot to post! My MegaTek came yesterday!:creaturesI could smell coconuts before I even opened the box. :love: I was so tempted to wash my hair...but I said I would start with the OCT first.

Must.Be.Strong.:lick:

ladysaraii

Edge twin, are you just mixing a little cell therapy with water (distilled/tap)? I think I might like to try your spray. I have both of those EOs. :yep:

yep. I squeezed some OCT out of the nearly empty bottle I had. it was a bit more than a little, but I mixed it with filtered water and shook it up. I added about 2 drops of the EO's each.

Afterwards, I made sure to moisturize and seal the area with emu oil

*closer*2*my*dreams*

Count me in; lack of progress and retention has forced me to go back to my old glory days when I first joined and did EVERYTHING to my hair. Nightly, I will rinse my hair and use OCT and MT (alternating until I run out of OCT then just use MT); rinse in the morning and co-wash. Moisturize with S-Curl or Carefree Gold (any suggestions on which one is better?); seal with Castor oil and Moroccan oil (until I run out, then I'm just using coconut oil); then do a wet bun. I will shampoo on Sundays with Aveda Hair Detoxifier and do a moisturizing DC (purchased something from Blue Beez and now I can't remember what it was - Keratina FIX Deep Treatment maybe?). I'll use Lacio Lacio as my leave-in and some Paul Mitchell Serum and Relaxing Balm and rollerset. I'm pretty sure it won't turn out the way I want it to, so I'm banking on Mondays to be a dry bun day.

Ms_CoCo37

yep. I squeezed some OCT out of the nearly empty bottle I had. it was a bit more than a little, but I mixed it with filtered water and shook it up. I added about 2 drops of the EO's each.

Afterwards, I made sure to moisturize and seal the area with emu oil

How do you like the Emu oil? Have you tried Argan oil? (I'm interested in both.)

ladysaraii

How do you like the Emu oil? Have you tried Argan oil? (I'm interested in both.)

I like Emu Oil and I plan to repurchase. I mainly use it on my edges and I find it helps to keep the hair soft and its not heavy or sticky. Although, once my Boundless treses arrives, I may abandon the emu to give BT a try

I have not tried Argan Oil yet.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Thanks for sharing Closer2mydreamz,
Additionally, Retailmenot, has Horseloverz.com discounted shipping coupons worth $5.99.
I have not seen a price this good in a whiiiile. Total cost including shipping = $22.80. Yaay!

*closer*2*my*dreams*

They had a shipping coupon?! sigh... well, i still got a bottle for $28 vs. $35 somewhere else with shipping. I'm definitely going to order from them again.

KinkyGenius

Are people no longer doing protein and reconstructor treatments since both of these products are so protein-heavy? I just purchased MT for my mother's thinning areas and edges, I plan on using it nightly by just applying it to her scalp mixed with oils.

Anyone care to chime in for the above question?

Prayin4FullWL2012

I have to be in this one, I am about to order some OCT and I have a half a gallon of Mega-Tek, so this will be great for me. I will be one year post in October so maybe by then I will be pushing BSB or BSL. I have faith that I can do it by then especially with the OCT.:grin:

drmuffin

I'm glad you're joining us! Will this be your first time using MT?
Glad to be here! :rolleyes: Yeah this is my first time using MT. I'm so excited! I should actually be getting it today or tomorrow. I'm really hoping I get some good results from MT like the ones I've seen. I plan on mixing it with coconut oil and do every other day scalp massages with it.

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I will continue to do hardcore treatments as needed. My hair enjoys protein in all forms. I will use ORS hair mayo or the replenish pak as needed. I also have Aphogee 2-step treatment on standby in extreme emergencies. It's a matter of what your hair needs/wants.

Ms_CoCo37

I like Emu Oil and I plan to repurchase. I mainly use it on my edges and I find it helps to keep the hair soft and its not heavy or sticky. Although, once my Boundless treses arrives, I may abandon the emu to give BT a try

I have not tried Argan Oil yet.

Keep me posted on the BT!

Ms_CoCo37

I have the following protein treatments on hand:

Giovanni Smooth as Silk Extreme Protein Infusion
Infusium 23
Aphogee 2 min.

I will also incorporate the use of my steamer (I'm aiming for once a week).

Since this is my first time using OCT/MegaTek, I'm not sure how often I'll need the protein treatments, but I will be playing close attention to my tresses and use them as needed.

detroitdiva

I'm in. I have both the MT and OCT. I am using them daily and mixing it with rosemary, JBCO, lavender oil, coconut oil, and EVOO. I put them all in an applicator bottle and mixed them up. I plan on using this combo daily in the morning and spraying water to "fertilize" my hair and keep it moist throughout the day. I will only cowash two times a week and DC every two weeks. I plan on DCing after I take my twists out. I have put sengalese twist in my hair (which I put in myself) and I plan on keeping them in until next Friday. Then I will put my hair back into box braids for another seven weeks. I will post more pictures after the seven weeks and thoughout the challenge for support and encouragement. I hope that everyone gains super length from this challenge. I knwo that I am putting everythin in my power to do so!

Starting pic:

Good luck to everyone, including me! Lol!

Ms_CoCo37

yAY! My OCT buddy joined! :grin:

I am LOVING your curls!:love:

I'm in. I have both the MT and OCT. I am using them daily and mixing it with rosemary, JBCO, lavender oil, coconut oil, and EVOO. I put them all in an applicator bottle and mixed them up. I plan on using this combo daily in the morning and spraying water to "fertilize" my hair and keep it moist throughout the day. I will only cowash two times a week and DC every two weeks. I plan on DCing after I take my twists out. I have put sengalese twist in my hair (which I put in myself) and I plan on keeping them in until next Friday. Then I will put my hair back into box braids for another seven weeks. I will post more pictures after the seven weeks and thoughout the challenge for support and encouragement. I hope that everyone gains super length from this challenge. I knwo that I am putting everythin in my power to do so!

Starting pic:

Good luck to everyone, including me! Lol!

Prayin4FullWL2012

I started using Oct/MT in 09-09 the only problem I had was that I didn't buy enough Oct.. My Ps was cornrows and J J braids. I mixed both and use 1 oz a day. I clarified 1 a week to prevent product build up. I saw results in 2 weeks time. The oct company say the more u use the better, they didn't lie. I brought the whole oct system and found out that I only needed the Cell Therapy. By Sept 28 I was pusing APL from SL and I only started Sept 10 here's my fotki for reggie. [email protected]

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I used my OCT for the first time in months; my gremlin (hair) didn't know how to respond this morning. I tried juicing it up with some CareFree Gold and it just revolted. I think the CareFree moisturizer is the issue too. I used my trusty Moroccan oil and my hair still feels like straw. I am going to take it back and get some S-Curl or Hawaiian Silky.

Just got an email update and my MT from HorseLoverz has shipped. They're shipping FedEx (which I hate - even if the package arrives in my town, they won't release it until the day it was supposed to reach me). So let's keep our fingers crossed that you don't here about a little black girl blowing up a FedEx in Tampa over some horse products....

Prayin4FullWL2012

To answer the question about using other protein products. I will still use my Aphogee 2 min, I have to buy some more Cathy House DC because I feel that has helped me in my hair journey. But the Oct and MT are DC conditioners as well. So I would use the mixture every night or every two nights and then sit under the dyer for like 30 mintues to a hour then sleep with it under the scarf and wash my hair every 3 to 4 days, but once a week or once every two weeks clarify. I would mix it with Aphogee fatty oils and Pepperment oil, for 1 oz then I would put MN ( so that my scalp can get the oxygen it needs) in the mix for 1 oz and then I would put 1oz of MT and 3oz of OCT. Then I would put the 6 oz mixture in the warm water and then let it mix evenly. then use 1 oz a day if it was dry. after that I would Profective DC and then seal witth castor oil. This was the fastest that I have seen my hair grow. I would take my vitamins as well, for extra growth. I just stopped because I ran out of OCT but not this time. :wallbash:

TracyNicole

Can I join you ladies? I have a barely used bottle of OCT sitting in the closet. I need to break it out and get back on it.

drmuffin

Ok! So...I finally got my MT in the mail today. I'm so excited it's unbelievable! And...I took a pic of my hair wet, cuz it's constantly braided-out, so this will serve as my starting pic:

Ms_CoCo37

My OCT came today!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO :rocker:

It took everything for me not to go straight to the sink to wash my hair. I'm so ready to get started!:grin: