2010 Lose Minimal/No Hair While Detangling Challenge

vkb247

Please count me in!

I need to be more gentle with my hair to get the results I want for my hair! So I have started to detangle and rinse in sections and I have been expirementing (sp -lol) with a wide tooth comb to see if I lose less hair. But more importantly, I have ends that want to go so I am going to trim/cut about 2 inches off in the beginning of December :(

Health over length. I am determined to be better to my hair from now on!

I would like to join. Right now I just use Mane N Tail Detangler and its ok but I am always looking for new techniques or products.

mariofmagdal

I want in too. I am using cowboy magic to detangle for now. I am wearing braids for lengthy periods of time until my hand is completely healed. This is the best way for me to keep it simple since I depend on another to wash and comb my hair for me.

meecee

I'm in. Past 8 weeks post, my hair becomes a hot tangled mess. I need all the help I can get.

happylife

I am really glad to see this thread. Just out of curiousity, has anyone had any luck having very little to no shedding for a whole year before?

Sorry if that's a silly question. My motive for asking is that I took my hair out of a week old bun and I was very bummed out about all the hair I lost. Am I being unrealistic for hoping to get a loss of only <10 hairs per cowash every week? I have learned it is natural/normal hair sheds x amount per day. But has anyone had luck beating mother nature at this?

Last edited:

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I'm in Sheryl!

I'd like to add that Coffee Rinsing is excellent with curbing shedding. It is also an awesome detangler.

How often can it be done? I cowash about 2-3x's a wk, is it safe to do it after each cowash, or should I do it weekly or biweekly, once a month? Also do you use it as a final rinse? I'm shedding a little to much for my liking. I haven't retained a lot of length this year. I need to get it under control. TIA

Raine054

My first challenge!! I'm so excited.

I'm expecting some cowboy magic this week but I won't be able to post until Sunday when I wash my hair.

This past Sunday was horrible however. I lost two fistfuls of hair and my hair is noticeably thinner. The entire back of my head was matted and tangled. It took me 4 hours to de-tangle it (and lots of tears and comforting from my boyfriend).

I'm doing much better and I promise myself that this will NEVER happen to me again.

Here's what I'm doing so far:

1. I comb through my hair every day with a wide tooth comb. (My hair is always pull back into a pony tail so once i comb downward in the direction of my hairstyle I don't lose any hair!)

2. I oil my scalp. I use oil instead of a pomade because I don't want to weigh my hair down but I also want to make sure that my 11 weeks of new growth is moisturized. I do this at night so that when i comb my hair every morning it's soft.

I hope this helps.

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Yes, it can be done a few times a week. At one point, I put coffee in a spray bottle and just sprayed my scalp with it daily. (I chilled out on that bcs I was beginning to smell like Starbucks - folks were commenting, lol).
I do use it as a final (leave-in) rinse.

You'll be amazed how your hair will detangle and you'll lose only a few hairs in the process.

How often can it be done? I cowash about 2-3x's a wk, is it safe to do it after each cowash, or should I do it weekly or biweekly, once a month? Also do you use it as a final rinse? I'm shedding a little to much for my liking. I haven't retained a lot of length this year. I need to get it under control. TIA

questionable

Today is wash day for me...I will come back to post the results. I am 9 weeks post ...I usually relax at 6 - 7 weeks..so today should be very interesting. Im going to take my time and be extremely gentle. :headspin:

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Add me in!! Combing from ends to roots saved me ALOT of hair and also detangling with lots of conditioner under running water is the best!

lolascurls

What has worked for me:
# Finger detangling hard knots with a detangling spray in before wide tooh comb
# Pre-pooing with braids or cornrows and co-washing with these in.
# Applying oils & heat protectants to wet hair
Would like to try:
# Coffee rinsing

jasminea

I would like to join. Right now I just use Mane N Tail Detangler and its ok but I am always looking for new techniques or products.

I love this detangler! It always provides me with a lot of slip. I also have been using rusk smoothing leave-in which has a great smell and really moisturizes my hair.

SherylsTresses

This weekend I did the following:

Clarify & Protein Regimen

1. Prepoo w/ 1 cup conditioner, 4 tsp garlic powder and oils overnight
  2. Clarify with KeraCare 1st Lather
  3. Shampoo with Silicon Mix moisturizing shampoo
  4. Apply Miss Key 10 en 1 protein conditioner for 30 mins
  5. DC with Silicon Mix Avanti moisturizing conditioner w/ heat for 45 mins
  6. Detangle in shower with lots of conditioner
  7. Final rinse with Roux Porosity Control for one minute
  8. Towel dried hair w/o disturbing position of detangled hair
  9. Apply Chi Keratin Mist & Nexxus Humectin
  10. Airdry and use caruso steam rollers
  11. Pin curl to keep style
  12. Moisturize roots as needed with Nexxus Humectin

This is how much hair I lost.......

Attachments

• 100_0854(2).jpg
    100_0854(2).jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0853(2).jpg
    100_0853(2).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

questionable

So... yesterday was wash day for me. Here's what I did: I shampoo'd with con poo, then I conditioned with silk elements mega cholesterol and honey w/o heat for 1 hr, I added a little alter ago garlic, sat under the dryer for 1/2 hr..rinsed and detangled with my wide tooth comb...I applied my leave-ins, I used a mixture of salerm 21, Infusium 23 and a couple of drops of evoo. I proceeded to rollerset ... I used a rat tail comb for my rollerset. I did not lose as much hair as I anticipated. I took my time while detangling and I kept reminding myself to be very very gentle. It actually worked. I want to try this for another 3 weeks then I will relax.

Last edited:

Mane Event

I'm stealing this quote from another thread...I think it will benefit us in this challenge!
Has anyone tried washing their hair using this method (or something similar)?

I learned the hard way back when I was transitioning that washing my hair loose is NOT an option lol.

I braid my hair in 10 braids and I just shampoo my hair in that state I pour the shampoo in my hand rub to lather and rub it in. To get your scalp clean you simply rub the root portion of each braid.

If my hair is already detangled prior to braiding, like if I'm washing after having a press or washing after a braid out or twist out, I dont even take each section down when washing I just wash/condition/DC while in the braids and my hair gets perfectly clean and remains tangle free throughout the entire process

If my hair needs to be detangled like if I was wearing a fro that week, then braid my hair in 9 or 10 while tangled. I drench my hair under the shower or the faucet I apply shampoo to my scalp and rub, I rinse that out then I apply a GENEROUS amount of conditioner and gently detangle once its fully detangled I leave the conditioner in and braid that section tightly. Once all my hair is clean and detangled then I rise my braids DC in those braids, rinse again and I'm ready to style.

SherylsTresses

The top is from Nov 28:
Moisture Regimen:
  1. Prepoo overnight with conditioner, garlic powder and oils
  2. Shampoo with Silicon Mix
  3. DC with Silicon Mix Avanti moisturizing conditioner w/ heat for 20 mins
  4. Apply more conditioner and detangle in shower
  5. Roux Porosity Control as a final rinse for 1 minute
  6. Towel dry w/o disturbing position of detangled hair
  7. Apply Chi Keratin Mist, leave-in, EVOO
  8. Rollerset and airdry, flat iron roots
  9. Moisturize as needed with NTM silk touch