Spring is coming, products for humidity?

kking7777

With spring and summer around the corner I need some suggestions on products that will allow me to wear my hair straight, without the frizz at the end of the day... Today was the first somewhat warm day and my hair is a poufy mess and I just flat ironed it today.. I heard about anti-sponge but does it really work?

please help!

Leslie_C

good question! you know I wanna know too bc Im in Orlando! Hello!? ;)
what is antisponge?

Hope to find some good suggestins in this thread!! One thing that helps but isnt a cure all is Aveda Brilliant hair spray....its supposed to have a humidity barrier and adds shine, and it gives a soft hold. No alchohol either Im pretty sure.

Also I found that even in FL humidity, when I would go to the salon and have it washed, blowed out and flat ironed, my hair would last for the whole week without reverting. It would be shiny, smooth, and bouncy/swingy and all I had to do was wrap it at night. She would flat iron it, wrap it, and then wrap saran wrap around my head, and put me under the dryer for a few minutes....when she combed it down my hair was bangin. I had to ditch that stylist though bc she was jacking my hair up with her relaxing techiniques. I was walking away with less and less hair each time and she would insist I needed a touch up at 4-5 weeks post!

kking7777

So did she blow dry it before flat ironing or no? I am visting Orlando soon so what do you suggest I do to stop it from frizzing? I plan to wear it flat ironed and down....

Leslie_C

kking7777 said:
So did she blow dry it before flat ironing or no? I am visting Orlando soon so what do you suggest I do to stop it from frizzing? I plan to wear it flat ironed and down....

yes she blow dried it first. Thats the great part, if u get a good professional flat iron, it will hold up by itself! all I did was put a little serum in it at night and wrap it up, comb it down and go with maybe a few more drops of serum. It didnt revert one bit, except a little then I worked out and I would have to wrap it and tie it down until it dried and sometimes touch up the edges.

kking7777

I have a CHI turbo and thats what I used tonight but.... I had too much product on my hair u think thats what caused the moisture attraction?

baglady215

I would like to know too. I am visiting ATL this summer and I want to rock a nice style, not look like a sweated-out mess. :lol: Isis uses Aveda Anti-Humectant pomade. I wonder if that works for flat ironed hair?

Leslie_C

kking7777 said:
I have a CHI turbo and thats what I used tonight but.... I had too much product on my hair u think thats what caused the moisture attraction?

ya know, its funny u say that bc thats the flat iron I have too. I think it works nice but it doesnt hold like it does when I get it done. I thought it was my technique, but now I think it just doesnt get quite as hot as the ones they use at the salon. Those irons close your cuticles right up tight as a clam! :lol:

I wonder if maxiglide would work better than chi?

kking7777

If its a pomade I am almost positive it's too heavy for flat ironed hair... especially if you like a lot of movement when your hair is straight

Isis

kking7777 said:
If its a pomade I am almost positive it's too heavy for flat ironed hair... especially if you like a lot of movement when your hair is straight
Actually, the Aveda Anti-Humectant is very light and doesn't weigh my hair down. I don't wear my hair straight though. I think Digital Rain used this successfully in the past on her flat ironed hair, in a lot of humidity too.

kking7777

Thanks Isis, I was also looking on the net and I see raves over Sabino moisture block. Lala has mentioned this product as well..

Isis

Leslie_C said:
good question! you know I wanna know too bc Im in Orlando! Hello!? ;)
what is antisponge?

Hope to find some good suggestins in this thread!! One thing that helps but isnt a cure all is Aveda Brilliant hair spray....its supposed to have a humidity barrier and adds shine, and it gives a soft hold. No alchohol either Im pretty sure.

Also I found that even in FL humidity, when I would go to the salon and have it washed, blowed out and flat ironed, my hair would last for the whole week without reverting. It would be shiny, smooth, and bouncy/swingy and all I had to do was wrap it at night. She would flat iron it, wrap it, and then wrap saran wrap around my head, and put me under the dryer for a few minutes....when she combed it down my hair was bangin. I had to ditch that stylist though bc she was jacking my hair up with her relaxing techiniques. I was walking away with less and less hair each time and she would insist I needed a touch up at 4-5 weeks post!
Leslie - are you talking about the Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine Spray? If so, I have that (it does contain the good kind of alcohol) but I ddin't know it is a humidity barrier. Maybe I'll test it when I'm in humid conditions to see what happens.

sweetascocoa

Isis said:
Actually, the Aveda Anti-Humectant is very light and doesn't weigh my hair down. I don't wear my hair straight though. I think Digital Rain used this successfully in the past on her flat ironed hair, in a lot of humidity too.
how do you use it? do oyu apply before blowdrying/flatironing or after? also do you also use a heat protectant?

Leslie_C

Isis said:
Leslie - are you talking about the Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine Spray? If so, I have that (it does contain the good kind of alcohol) but I ddin't know it is a humidity barrier. Maybe I'll test it when I'm in humid conditions to see what happens.

*goes to find her bottle*.....

No, my bottle says Aveda brilliant hair spray with certified organic camomile.
"medium hold defies humidity and adds shine to all hair types"

funny thing is I actually saw a black woman who was on vacation and her wrap style was looking fly, so I asked her how she kept it from frizzing up in the weather here. She told me she uses that spray so I went and bought it. I can say that it really does make a difference, for example I used to do bantu knot sets or braid outs, without it I would look good leaving the house but within an hour I would look like a cross between Chaka Khan, Tina Turner, and Buckwheat. When I used the spray my hair stayed pretty tame. I had to play around with the amount to use, but it really did help me. Lasts a long time too, I still have 90% of the bottle.

I also forgot to say the stylist I used to go to used keracare silk n seal on spray on each section she flat ironed and that could have made a difference too.

Isis

Leslie_C said:
*goes to find her bottle*.....

No, my bottle says Aveda brilliant hair spray with certified organic camomile.
"medium hold defies humidity and adds shine to all hair types"

funny thing is I actually saw a black woman who was on vacation and her wrap style was looking fly, so I asked her how she kept it from frizzing up in the weather here. She told me she uses that spray so I went and bought it. I can say that it really does make a difference, for example I used to do bantu knot sets or braid outs, without it I would look good leaving the house but within an hour I would look like a cross between Chaka Khan, Tina Turner, and Buckwheat. When I used the spray my hair stayed pretty tame. I had to play around with the amount to use, but it really did help me. Lasts a long time too, I still have 90% of the bottle.

I also forgot to say the stylist I used to go to used keracare silk n seal on spray on each section she flat ironed and that could have made a difference too.
Thank you Leslie for this information! I asked several Aveda stylists, even before LHCF, about what products to use for humidity and they all suggested the Anti-Humectant pomade and the Shine-On spray for shine (not hold like yours). I'm going to get the Aveda hair spray you have and compare the difference. :yep:

May I also give Sabino props. I tried it in Houston's humid weather and it passed the frizz free hair test- even on a rainy day! It's really thick and you only need a very small amount to smooth through your hair. If the weather is expected to be be terrible I'll mix it with a bit of Frederik Fiki Silk (sp, but I use the Sally's knock off). These two and mousse and I dare the weather to stand in my way!!!

MizaniMami

Isis said:
Thank you Leslie for this information! I asked several Aveda stylists, even before LHCF, about what products to use for humidity and they all suggested the Anti-Humectant pomade and the Shine-On spray for shine (not hold like yours). I'm going to get the Aveda hair spray you have and compare the difference. :yep:

I have the Aveda Shine on Spray and I would say the Aveda Briliant serum works almost too good at blocking frizz. It is the best serum that I have ever tried, but it's kinda costly:ohwell:

Isis

MizaniMami said:
I have the Aveda Shine on Spray and I would say the Aveda Briliant serum works almost too good at blocking frizz. It is the best serum that I have ever tried, but it's kinda costly:ohwell:
I haven't seen the Aveda Brilliant serum, does it have cones? So far, I've managed to avoid anything with cones so I don't have to clarify.

ETA: When you say Aveda Brilliant serum, are you talking about the same product Leslie mentioned?

Last edited:

Isis

Isis said:
Actually, the Aveda Anti-Humectant is very light and doesn't weigh my hair down. I don't wear my hair straight though. I think Digital Rain used this successfully in the past on her flat ironed hair, in a lot of humidity too

toosexy1 said:
how do you use it? do oyu apply before blowdrying/flatironing or after? also do you also use a heat protectant?
Since I don't use any heat, I apply it after my leave-in conditioner. If it's really humid, I put a little in my hands, rub together and smooth it on my hair. That's what the Aveda people suggested.

peacelove

for those of you who want to take extreme measures, move to Arizona! LOL :) I just came back from there and boy is it dry as dirt there! I actually like the dry weather - great for straight hair, but it is horrid for the skin!

peacelove

Isis said:
I haven't seen the Aveda Brilliant serum, does it have cones? So far, I've managed to avoid anything with cones so I don't have to clarify.

ETA: When you say Aveda Brilliant serum, are you talking about the same product Leslie mentioned?

I use the serum and I am almost positive it does have cones. At least it feels that way.