Is there any way to get Thick Hair???

My hair is 4a/4b and very thin. Thin to the point where if you look at me from the front with my hair down...u can see straight through my hair :cry: But when it is time for a relaxer...WOOF! My roots are so thick I can't comb it! I've taken all of the advice that I've learned on LHCF and put it to use. I CW once a week and wash with poo once a week. I also deep condition with either Motions CPR or ORS Hair Mayo (mixed with jojoba oil). I already use surge (on my roots) and olive oil and elasta QP Mango Butter on my ends, although I can not use too much because I will look like I have 5 good strands of air :lol: :eek: I stopped using heat about 5 weeks ago. I air dry my hair when wet and I use protective styles during the week. I used to used a curling iron everyday with no type of protection on my hair (I know...this is the casue of it being thin).

My question is is there any product or method I could use to get thick hair???? Please help!!!!!

Last edited:

Lorraine

Here is what worked for me...

* stimulating my scalp (massaging it)
* stopped wrapping for 6 months
* Applied Surge's Plus 14 each morning and evening
* No heat

harigeek

Here's what worked for me:

1. UBH Deep Conditioner: it's got peppermint which is a great stimulant. I also massage peppermint oil into my scalp when I can remember.
2. MTG: I don't know why but the bottom of my hair feels fuller and stronger since I started using it a month ago.

Hope this helps!

wyldcurlz

Lorraine,

why did you stop wrapping your hair? how do you think wrapping contributed to not having thick hair? Are you talking about wrapping it at night? I'd love to know. I'm one of those who wraps nightly in a silk scarf, but its that's potentially damaging to my goal, I don't want to do it.

please let me know! thanks!

OneInAMillion

• Supplements (MSM, Silica, etc.)
  • Less Heat less often (i.e. if you have to get your hair done weekly, only get your roots blown out)
  • Scalp Massaging
  • Don't use fine tooth combs
  • Less wrapping
  • Opt for curly styles, so you can pin curl at night instead of wrapping

Those are some of the things I recently tried and I've seen improvement in my hair's health in the past 3 months.

balisi

karmelsassy said:
My hair is 4a/4b and very thin. Thin to the point where if you look at me from the front with my hair down...u can see straight through my hair :cry: But when it is time for a relaxer...WOOF! My roots are so thick I can't comb it! I've taken all of the advice that I've learned on LFCF and put it to use. I CW once a week and wash with poo once a week. I also deep condition with either Motions CPR or ORS Hair Mayo (mixed with jojoba oil). I already use surge (on my roots) and olive oil and elasta QP Mango Butter on my ends, although I can not use too much because I will look like I have 5 good strands of air :lol: :eek: I stopped using heat about 5 weeks ago. I air dry my hair when wet and I use protective styles during the week. I used to used a curling iron everyday with no type of protection on my hair (I know...this is the casue of it being thin).

My question is is there any product or method I could use to get thick hair???? Please help!!!!!
Hard to say without actually seeing your hair. What I mean is, does it appear thin at the ends because of breakage, or are the strands thin/fine from scalp to ends? Your hair's density is also to be considered. Either way, it seems like you're on the right track to taking better care of it.

esoterica

Try this:
d-Panthenol
A natural hair thickener, d-Pantenol Gel is quickly absorbed into the hair shaft, where it thickens and moisturizes. Panthenol is the naturally occurring form of Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B-5) found in human hair that supports the growth and maintenance of bodily tissues. Most shampoos with Panthenol contain only 1 - 2% of the important nutrient.
http://www.iherb.com/dpanthenol.html

Lorraine said:

* No heat

Thanks Lorraine, I wrap my hair every night. I would think that I was protecting my ends in doing that? Why did u stop wraping and what do you do with your hair at nite? Thx

balisi said:
Hard to say without actually seeing your hair. What I mean is, does it appear thin at the ends because of breakage, or are the strands thin/fine from scalp to ends? Your hair's density is also to be considered. Either way, it seems like you're on the right track to taking better care of it.

Actually, now that I think about it, my ends are the thinnest. When my new growth comes in, it's rather thick. When I was little I used to have thick hair. Then I got a perm, Then I got a jherri curl back in the day..lol. Then I got another perm after I decided that I didnt want the curl (that was about 15 yrs ago) and ever since then, no matter how long my hair would grow, it would be thin.

Last edited:
asphyxxia said:
Try this:
d-Panthenol
A natural hair thickener, d-Pantenol Gel is quickly absorbed into the hair shaft, where it thickens and moisturizes. Panthenol is the naturally occurring form of Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B-5) found in human hair that supports the growth and maintenance of bodily tissues. Most shampoos with Panthenol contain only 1 - 2% of the important nutrient.

Thank You Asphyxxia!!! I'm gonna order this today!! I'll let you know how it works.

kizzylonghair

Lorraine said:

* No heat

I am quite interested in the not wrapping hair at night. I thought it was the best thing for it.
Can u explain further

Kizzy

hairmaster

Have you considered going natural,and seeing what you hair condition is, perhapes years of chemical relaxing is taking control of your hair, one thread on this forum said chemical residual? remain in the body and can cause change in textures. take a look at you mother and fathers hair or sisters and brothers, do they have thin hair?

KAddy

karmelsassy said:
Actually, now that I think about it, my ends are the thinnest. When my new growth comes in, it's rather thick. When I was little I used to have thick hair. Then I got a perm, Then I got a jherri curl back in the day..lol, Then I got another perm after I decided that I didnt want the curl that was abiut 15 yrs ago) and ever since then, no matter how long my hair would grow, it would be thin.
How frequent do you relax? I know that stretching relaxers isn't for everyone, myself included, but it helps eliminate overprocessing of previously relaxed hair, which if not prevented can lead to thin hair. THe fact that your new growth comes in thick, leads me to think there is some overlapping of relaxing going on, which is thinning your hair.

Also, I agree with giving the wrapping a night a break. I did that and it did help. At night I either pin curl and put on a scarf or have my hair going all back put a few rollers on the ends and put my scarf on.

hairmaster said:
Have you considered going natural,and seeing what you hair condition is, perhapes years of chemical relaxing is taking control of your hair, one thread on this forum said chemical residual? remain in the body and can cause change in textures. take a look at you mother and fathers hair or sisters and brothers, do they have thin hair?

My mom has thin hair now. She's 74 so I'm not sure if it's age or genes. My sister always had thick hair. She used to have on of those Angela Davis afros that I was so jealous of :lol: . I've really never thought about going natural. Maybe it's something I'll consider now.

KAddy said:
How frequent do you relax? I know that stretching relaxers isn't for everyone, myself included, but it helps eliminate overprocessing of previously relaxed hair, which if not prevented can lead to thin hair. THe fact that your new growth comes in thick, leads me to think there is some overlapping of relaxing going on, which is thinning your hair.

Also, I agree with giving the wrapping a night a break. I did that and it did help. At night I either pin curl and put on a scarf or have my hair going all back put a few rollers on the ends and put my scarf on.

I used to relax every 5-6 weeks before I found this forum. I just had a relaxer on suday but prior to that, my last relaxer was on 6/12. I waited 8 weeks b4 I got another relaxer. I've never tried pin curling. Any tips? I'd like to give that a try tonight. THX!

Last edited:

hairmaster

Try giving your hair a break and let it grow out . see if you like it, you can always go back to relaxing, also you can always heat press if you want straight.

Ms Red

I think that HairMaster is right-- the years and years of chemicals can really take a toll (esp. if you have split ends or damaged hair) and it can make your hair appear thin even if it's not.

I remember that when I was natural until I was 20, my hair was extremely thick, very versatile and really strong. I would wash it and have this huge, thick long "fro" with curls. It wasn't until I started relaxing my hair (and I was even stretching the relaxers 12 weeks apart) that my hair seemed to "get" thinner and thinner and very weak. Now that I am transitioning, I see that my ponytails are getting thick and my hair seems denser.

Also, the following things are really getting my hair on track:

-Washing, conditioning and deep conditioning often
-Limiting heat and protein to once a month
-Increasing moisture (through deep conditioners, hot oils, etc.)

HTH! cc :Rose:

harigeek

I agree with the suggestion on cutting back the relaxers. I know having a jheri curl and relaxer back in the day ruined my hair and I'm still paying for it years later.
Also try to be realistic with your goals. If you had thick hair as a child, then you should be able to get it again since the number of hair follices on your head are the same. But it could be that some of them need some stimulation...
Good luck!

asubeauty

I am having the same EXACT problem (my hair is also so thin that when I wear it down you can see thru it, but I have thick roots when it's time for a touch up). I was about to post, but I'm glad you did, Karmelsassy. I was also told to try Panthenol (sp?), so maybe I'll order it, too.

I was also thinking about getting all of my thin, stringy ends cut off and starting over from there. I'm afraid to lose so much length because I think I look better with longer hair, but I'd rather have healthy hair.

Oh, and what's MTG?? I've been reading a lot about it on the board.

asubeauty said:
I am having the same EXACT problem (my hair is also so thin that when I wear it down you can see thru it, but I have thick roots when it's time for a touch up). I was about to post, but I'm glad you did, Karmelsassy. I was also told to try Panthenol (sp?), so maybe I'll order it, too.

I was also thinking about getting all of my thin, stringy ends cut off and starting over from there. I'm afraid to lose so much length because I think I look better with longer hair, but I'd rather have healthy hair.

Oh, and what's MTG?? I've been reading a lot about it on the board.

I was thinking about cutting off the thin ends too but then my hair would be sooo short (it's also cut in layers so it's even thinner). I'm don't know too much about MTG but if it works, I'm willing to give it a try!

harigeek said:
I agree with the suggestion on cutting back the relaxers. I know having a jheri curl and relaxer back in the day ruined my hair and I'm still paying for it years later.
Also try to be realistic with your goals. If you had thick hair as a child, then you should be able to get it again since the number of hair follices on your head are the same. But it could be that some of them need some stimulation...
Good luck!

Who would have thought that the jheri curl would be my downfall :lol: It felt like forever when I waited 8 weeks. My goal is to wait 10 weeks before my next perm. If I could have shoulder length healthy hair...I'd be the happiest girl in the world :yay:

Last edited:

kombov_dymond

Mine had thinned out too because of relaxing too often. Some other things that helped me along with most of the things mentioned here are:

WGO and Castor Oil mixed
Pantothenic acid in supplements

HTH

MeccaMedinah

hairmaster said:

That's my suggestion. Good advice, as usual Hairmaster ;)

balisi

karmelsassy said:
Who would have thought that the jheri curl would be my downfall :lol: It felt like forever when I waited 8 weeks. My goal is to wait 10 weeks before my next perm. If I could have shoulder length healthy hair...I'd be the happiest girl in the world :yay:
You can :) I also advocate going natural.

vaqtea

KAddy said:

How often do you relax?

angaliquew

I totally agree with not wrapping your hair every night.
I have natural thick hair, but when I was wrapping it every night it was paper-thin.
Once I stopped wrapping it and started doing pin curls and roller sets, the thickness returned.

Also limit the amount of heat you use...

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
asphyxxia said:
Try this:
d-Panthenol

Great Thread....I was curious about how to make my hair thicker too?? Wow this is very interesting Asphyxxia! My hair was very thick when I was younger and thinned out to overprocessing but I am on the road to recovery! I will try this also too how it works.:D

angaliquew said:
I totally agree with not wrapping your hair every night.
I have natural thick hair, but when I was wrapping it every night it was paper-thin.
Once I stopped wrapping it and started doing pin curls and roller sets, the thickness returned.

Also limit the amount of heat you use...

How do you create pin curls??? I'd like to try this tonight.