Hot Head Caps

mg1979

I saw that suns4i6e just bought one of these in the May What Did You Buy Thread. Has anyone tried one already? My Hair Therapy Wrap is just about done, and it seemed like it didn't heat evenly so I was wondering if this might be better. It looks like you can't remove the packs to wash the cap like you could with the Hair Therapy Wrap.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/hothead123

suns4i6e

I received my shipping notice and will report back as soon as I try it out. My Hair Therapy Wrap is also a goner and I was very afraid of the gel pouches getting too hot and exploding. I like the idea of just sticking the whole Hot Head Cap in the microwave.

faithVA

Thanks for sharing that OP. I was looking for something to use with my regular heatcap. I wasn't crazy about the gel packs. I have exploded plenty of these.

I definitely want to pick one of these up. Wish she had a different color though :ohwell:

hair4today

Thanks for sharing that OP. I was looking for something to use with my regular heatcap. I wasn't crazy about the gel packs. I have exploded plenty of these.

I definitely want to pick one of these up. Wish she had a different color though :ohwell:
Hi @faithVA, I have two heat therapy caps and they're both a bust due to the exploding gel packs and the like. So I took the plunge and ordered one of the Hot Head caps this weekend. I didn't like colour she had up (green/blue combo) so I asked her for something in pink fabric and she added 2 different options to her shop and I selected one. If you convo with her on etsy with a request, maybe she'll do the same for you.

Last edited:

faithVA

Hi @faithVA, I have two heat therapy caps and they're both a bust due to the exploding gel packs and the like. So I took the plunge and ordered one of the Hot Head caps this weekend. I didn't like colour she had up (green/blue combo) so I asked her for something in pink fabric and she added 2 different options to her shop and I selected one. If you convo with her on etsy with a request, maybe she'll do the same for you.

oh thanks, cool. I will definitely do that. I just want a solid color like navy blue or something.

*Frisky*

I received my shipping notice and will report back as soon as I try it out. My Hair Therapy Wrap is also a goner and I was very afraid of the gel pouches getting too hot and exploding. I like the idea of just sticking the whole Hot Head Cap in the microwave.

I think mine is on it's way out too. It is starting to crackle and pop while in the microwave and it never done it before using the same time setting. I am actually irritated because I have only had it a little over six months and have only used it maybe 5 or 6 times. I might check out the Hot Head Cap.

ETA: Oh wow I just saw the heating element that makes it hot is flaxseeds. I might try and make one hahahaha

Last edited:

hair4today

That is really cute! It would make a great gift to those that hate sitting under the dryer. :yep:
@Iluvsmuhgrass, that's why I got it for my daughter who is 7. I have the plugged in kind and that works fine for me but dd hates sitting down for even 5 minutes to get her hair done let alone under a dryer for 30+ minutes for a deep condition Rx. I figured with this HH cap, she can move around and play while getting a treatment. Since she is so young, I was worried about temp, fit etc so I convo with the owner and she said its perfect for kids and that lot of her customers are loving it for that purpose.

hair4today

faithVA, mg1979, ,[USER=10136]*Frisky*, lovebug10,Iluvsmuhgrass,suns4ie6, LovelyLouboutin. I used the Hot Head cap tonight for first time to DC. First impression is positive. Quality of fabric is excellent, looks like it will last a long, long time. I felt the design is superior to The heat therapy wrap as my entire head seemed to have better coverage as it envelops your hair fully. The heat lasted approx 45 minutes as stated and BEST of all, no worries about exploding gel packs. Too soon to tell but at first blush, the HH cap seems to be a winner. Looking fwd to additional reviews for those who bought one.

Last edited:

faithVA

@faithVA, @mg1979! @,*Frisky*, @lovebug10,@Iluvsmuhgrass,@suns4ie6,@LovelyLouboutin. I used the Hot Head cap tonight for first time to DC. First impression is positive. Quality of fabric is excellent, looks like it last a long, long time. I felt the design is superior to The heat therapy wrap as my entire head seemed to have better coverage as it envelops your hair fully. The heat lasted approx 45 minutes as stated and BEST of all, no worries about exploding gel packs. Too soon to tell but at first blush, the HH cap seems to be a winner. Looking fwd to additional reviews for those who bought one.

Thanks for the update hair4today. Not sure what I'm waiting on but definitely want to get one. I will let you know when I order mine.

suns4i6e

@faithVA, @mg1979, @,*Frisky*, @lovebug10,@Iluvsmuhgrass,@suns4ie6, @LovelyLouboutin. I used the Hot Head cap tonight for first time to DC. First impression is positive. Quality of fabric is excellent, looks like it will last a long, long time. I felt the design is superior to The heat therapy wrap as my entire head seemed to have better coverage as it envelops your hair fully. The heat lasted approx 45 minutes as stated and BEST of all, no worries about exploding gel packs. Too soon to tell but at first blush, the HH cap seems to be a winner. Looking fwd to additional reviews for those who bought one.

I definitely agree with what hair4today states about the quality of the cap and not having to worry with exploding gel packs. I put my cap in the microwave for a full 90 seconds, only checking once to feel and ensure all was well. It was fine. Unfortunately, it did not sustain penetrating heat long enough for my liking. Similarly to empressri's YouTube review, I have too much hair to be thoroughly heated by the cap. Although not nearly as thick as hers, my hair is almost waist length and the heat wasn't enough infuse through the inner layers.

This is not a poor reflection of the cap. It's a wonderful product and my mother, with shorter hair, will reap the benefits of it :yep:

empressri

I definitely agree with what hair4today states about the quality of the cap and not having to worry with exploding gel packs. I put my cap in the microwave for a full 90 seconds, only checking once to feel and ensure all was well. It was fine. Unfortunately, it did not sustain penetrating heat long enough for my liking. Similarly to empressri's YouTube review, I have too much hair to be thoroughly heated by the cap. Although not nearly as thick as hers, my hair is almost waist length and the heat wasn't enough infuse through the inner layers.

This is not a poor reflection of the cap. It's a wonderful product and my mother, with shorter hair, will reap the benefits of it :yep:

Yeah I used it on my bff's hair and it worked thoroughly. On me? Not as much.

hair4today

Yeah I used it on my bff's hair and it worked thoroughly. On me? Not as much.
empressri, thanks for the review. The real reason I bought it was for my 7 yo daughter who won't sit still for hair treatments. Unlike me, she has very dense, waist length hair so based on your experience, it appears the HH heat cap won't work for her either which is disappointing. Oh well, at least I'll have some awesome DCs. If you ever find one that works for your volume of hair can you let me know?

faithVA

[USER=149416 said:
hair4today[/USER];15961091]@empressri, thanks for the review. The real reason I bought it was for my 7 yo daughter who won't sit still for hair treatments. Unlike me, she has very dense, waist length hair so based on your experience, it appears the HH heat cap won't work for her either which is disappointing. Oh well, at least I'll have some awesome DCs. If you ever find one that works for your volume of hair can you let me know?

Maybe if you combine the HH heat cap with the metallic evolve cap, maybe it will increase the performance. Just an idea since you already have the cap. It's worth th $3 experiment.

Last edited:

hair4today

Maybe if you combine the HH heat cap with the metallic evolve cap, maybe it will increase the performance. Just an idea since you already have the cap. It's worth th $3 experiment.
faithVA, now that's a thought and a really good idea txs. I'll give it a try, hopefully it will work.

empressri

empressri, thanks for the review. The real reason I bought it was for my 7 yo daughter who won't sit still for hair treatments. Unlike me, she has very dense, waist length hair so based on your experience, it appears the HH heat cap won't work for her either which is disappointing. Oh well, at least I'll have some awesome DCs. If you ever find one that works for your volume of hair can you let me know?

hair4today

You know what I have to do now?? Lol either use my heating cap that I stick in the microwave, and if I want to be extra fancy I sit in it for a second round and switch it around so the back is at my front, where more heat seems to linger.

Or I go old school and sit under a dryer.

Now with the heating cap or the hothead, you can actually do the dryer bit for a minute, even if it's just a handheld, and aim it at the shower cap to get everything warmed up first and then put the cap or hothead on. It will trap in that heat and you're not stuck sitting under a dryer.

*Frisky*

faithVA, mg1979, ,[USER=10136]*Frisky*, lovebug10,Iluvsmuhgrass,suns4ie6, LovelyLouboutin. I used the Hot Head cap tonight for first time to DC. First impression is positive. Quality of fabric is excellent, looks like it will last a long, long time. I felt the design is superior to The heat therapy wrap as my entire head seemed to have better coverage as it envelops your hair fully. The heat lasted approx 45 minutes as stated and BEST of all, no worries about exploding gel packs. Too soon to tell but at first blush, the HH cap seems to be a winner. Looking fwd to additional reviews for those who bought one.

Thanks for the review. I think what I am gonna do is get some flaxseed and sew them up in some square shaped pouches the same size at the gel packs that are in the heat therapy wrap and just replace the gel packs with them to see how that works. I would think they would last longer.

faithVA

I purchased one. I wouldn't replace my electric heat cap with it but it works for what I want to use it for which is doing some quick 20 minute heat during the week. It's very convenient when I want to apply some heat and move around the house.

I probably need to watch the yt video because I am a bit nervous about overheating it. For me it seems to stay hot for about 20 minutes. It could be longer since I may not be paying attention to the time. I have a big head so its a little tight :look: but I am hoping it stretches with use.

SimJam

wow Ive been using my heat therapy cap for close to 2 years now and no issues at all with it (not using so much now that I got a steamer) I always heat more than the 1 minute suggested and no busting of gel pack .... yet:look:

lemmi go look at this hot head thing .... even though i have no intention to buy :grin:

edit: looks interesting ... if ever my HT cap explodes I'll get one of these.

Last edited:

reeko43

I have had my Heat Therapy cap for almost 2 years as well and it is going strong. My cap has crackled and popped in the microwave since day one but there has been no leakage or explosion. I will keep an eye on this because if the Hot Head cap works as well, it will come down to price in deciding what to get next. I am hoping that my HT wrap lasts a long time because I love it!

reeko43

Ok, just read that these can only be "spot cleaned". Won't work for me. However, if they come up with one that can be washed I might havee to check it out!

faithVA

[USER=299572 said:
reeko43[/USER];16278221]Ok, just read that these can only be "spot cleaned". Won't work for me. However, if they come up with one that can be washed I might havee to check it out!

Why would you need to wash it? Just curious?

reeko43

I use my cap when I henna. Sometimes I get spots along the hairline even though I wear a plastic cap underneath. Also, I sweat when having something with heat on my head and again the perimeter of the cap is touching the back of my head and front hairline. I am able to take the pouches out of my HT wrap and throw the wrap in the washing machine occasionally. If it were vinyl I wouldn't have a problem with spot cleaning but not cloth.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I use my cap for moisture DC's. Tried it once to do my MT DC, and it fell Far short of the mark. For quick moisture DC's, it's great...and it's easy to use. I like!