No length check (personal challenge)

testimony777

Hey ladies,

Ok so since becoming active on the board again I have slipped into some old/bad habits. I had gotten really good about not obsessing over growth. I would do a length check every few months or so and would always be pleasantly surprised at my progress. Now I find myself stretching my hair daily (ok, ok multiple times a day...don't judge me) and getting frustrated when my hair is not longer at 8pm than it was at 8 am :lachen:.

I keep telling myself to stop it but that is not working. So I have decided to make it a challenge and I am inviting anyone who has the same issue to join me. I thought it would be good to get some accountability and for me, putting it our there and making a promise to someone other than myself to keep my hands out of my head is just the push that I need.

There is only one rule to this challenge, don't do any length checks until whatever date(s) you commit to in your initial post. For those of us in other challenges that have quarterly check ins you can commit to not checking length until those predetermined times. When you get the itch to reach up, grab a chuck of hair and pull come in here, be reminded of your promise and let us talk you off the ledge (I will likely be in here a lot at the rate I am going :lol:). If you stumble come in here, confess your transgression and let us encourage you to get back on track :yep:.

You can join this challenge at anytime by thanking this post. In your initial post copy this pledge and fill in the appropriate spaces.

I (screen name) promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until (Date or Dates when you will do your check(s)). I understand that my hair grows at a rate of _____ inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.

Oh and for those of us who are prone to finding loopholes, obsessively using a measuring tape to measure the distance between where your hair is currently to where you want it to be counts as a length check (again, don't judge me).

So who's with me?

shortdub78
EbonyCPrincess
Kittenz
MsLi512
IndifinableJoli
Ravengirl
Nix08
testimony777

Last edited:

testimony777

I'll start:

I Testimony777 promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31. I understand that my hair grows at a rate of .5 inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.

Evolving78

this could work for me if i was natural, but since i plan on relaxing some time in Feb, i know i am going to see or check my hair. maybe i am confused? you mean like not using my length check shirt, measuring tape, or pulling down my hair to see how far i have come?

testimony777

this could work for me if i was natural, but since i plan on relaxing some time in Feb, i know i am going to see or check my hair. maybe i am confused? you mean like not using my length check shirt, measuring tape, or pulling down my hair to see how far i have come?

Yes to the part in bold :yep:!

For you relaxed ladies (or naturals with very little shrinkage) who can see your progress more easily, the challenge is to not do any of the things in bold. The main goal of this challenge is to not "watch the pot" so to speak.

So what do you say shortdub78, are you in? Are ya :grin:?

Evolving78

I shortdub78 promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31. I understand that my hair grows at a rate of .25-.5 inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.

EbonyCPrincess

I EbonyCPrincess promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until (Date or Dates when you will do your check(s))June 21 and November/December 2012 (no set date for year end checks). I understand that my hair grows at a rate of 1/3 inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.

I am so glad you started this challenge! I had already blogged several times about only wanting to check my hair 2-3 times this year! I plan to stick to this by wearing primarily curly roller and rodsets. So I will get to wear my hair down, but the full length will be hidden from me.

Sent from my DROID3 using DROID3

kittenz

I have HIH syndrome and am constantly pulling on my hair but I'm not checking for length per se. I just like to feel it spring back. If I promise not to run to the mirror when I feel a "long" piece would that be okay...:lol: I want to join but I'm still getting used to my new hair....

Last edited:

testimony777

I have HIH syndrome and am constantly pulling on my hair but I'm not checking for length per se. I just like to feel is spring back. If I promise not to run to the mirror when I feel a "long" piece would that be okay...:lol: I want to join but I'm still getting used to my new hair....

I love it :lol:. Yes, that would be ok. Your hair is really pretty BTW; I would never want to deprive you of playing in those curls :grin:.

Welcome ladies. I am so glad you all joined. I thought for a moment that I was the only one with this problem :look:.

Oh, remember to thank the thread when you get a chance to make it official. HHG

kittenz

@testimony777 Thank you!

I'm in:

I Kittenz promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until March 31st/June 30th/Sept 30th/Dec 2012. I understand that my hair grows at a rate of about .5 inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.

MsLi@512

I'm in! My indiscriminate hourly length checks have gotten ridiculous!Every moisturize and seal session turns into a length check.
I (MsLi512) promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until (April, 2012, July,2012, and October,2012). I understand that my hair grows at a rate of _1/2-3/4____ inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.

ProtectiveStyling

IM IN :grin:

I IndifinableJoli promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until April, July, October, & December.I understand that my hair grows at a rate of .5 inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I Ravengirl promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until May 13, 2012. I understand that my hair grows at a rate of .5 inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.

I'm guilty of doing the constant length checks all the dang time and it needs to stop. With school coming up I won't have much time to play with my hair anyway. :rolleyes: No pulling or tugging when I take out my weekly cornrows. I can't flat iron anyway because I joined the No Heat challenge for the year. So I'm in till May and then probably again till the end of the year.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I am most definitely in....no length checks keep me 'feeling' good about my hair:yep:
I Nix08 promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until after relaxers (10-12 weeks). I understand that my hair grows at a rate of.5 inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.

*all raise glass* "Here! Here!

testimony777

Well ladies I am proud to announce that in the face of temptation to do a length check I was victorious :grin:. Last night I (in an exhausted state operating purely on auto pilot) grabbed some hair and started pulling, not even thinking about what I was doing. I caught myself mid pull but then almost kept going. I thought to myself "surely my hair has gotten noticeably longer in the THREE whole days that I have gone without checking it and progress like that deserves verification:lachen:." But then I thought of you all and I resisted; I was strong, I stood firm on my conviction... I am a champion! :lol::lol::lol:

How are you all doing; any near slips?

kittenz

I've been good!! Good luck everyone as I know most of us wash and style on the weekends. Be strong! I'll be washing and doing something to my hair today so I have to remember not to check:yep:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
So far so good. I redid one of my braids and had to stop myself from pulling on it to do a length check. It had become such a habit that I don't even realize it half the time. Won't be able to wash my hair for another week thanks to homework so, hopefully, it will help me to break this bad habit.

testimony777

So far so good. I redid one of my braids and had to stop myself from pulling on it to do a length check. It had become such a habit that I don't even realize it half the time. Won't be able to wash my hair for another week thanks to homework so, hopefully, it will help me to break this bad habit.

Isn't that the craziest thing; its like the hand has a mind of its own :lol:. I am glad that you caught yourself :yep:.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Ok, I've been bad but let my explain. I wore my hair in a braid out yesterday and was very good to not pull on any pieces to do a check all day. But my mom complimented me at the end of the day and in her curiosity she pulled on a piece in the back... So of course I had to do an official length check at that point. At least I finally have a starting picture for all the challenges I joined. :lol:

Last edited:

Evolving78

i didn't check, but i did notice that i am on the right path to my goal, but a promise is a promise. i am rolling my hair today to visit my dad, so i know i gotta look cute, but i will not be pulling anything down or running to the mirror!

kittenz

I cheated and I liked it:look: It happened before I knew it and when I realized I figured why stop now might as well check it all :lol: It's out of my system now and really wasn't worth it since there was no noticable growth. I'll be good now :yep: ....

Last edited:

testimony777

Ok, I've been bad but let my explain. I wore my hair in a braid out yesterday and was very good to not pull on any pieces to do a check all day. But my mom complimented me at the end of the day and in her curiosity she pulled on a piece in the back... So of course I had to do an official length check at that point. At least I finally have a starting picture for all the challenges I joined. :lol:

LOL at the part in bold. You are a :badgirl: but we still love you :yep:. However....NO MORE LENGTH CHECKING {said in my best Joan Crawford from "Mommy Dearest" voice}

i didn't check, but i did notice that i am on the right path to my goal, but a promise is a promise. i am rolling my hair today to visit my dad, so i know i gotta look cute, but i will not be pulling anything down or running to the mirror!

If you get the urge :stop:breath, remind yourself to be strong then proceed .

I think I'm going to relax tonight:look: length check time:yay:

I'm jealous :sad:. I will be living vicariously through you :yep:.

testimony777

I cheated and I liked it:look: It happened before I knew it and when I realized I figured why stop know might as well check it all :lol: It's out of my system now and really wasn't worth it since there was no noticable growth. I'll be good now :yep: ....

LOL at the part in bold; confession is good for the soul. I am glad you got it out of your system :yep:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
LOL at the part in bold. You are a :badgirl: but we still love you :yep:. However....NO MORE LENGTH CHECKING {said in my best Joan Crawford from "Mommy Dearest" voice}
LOL. Yes, ma'am. :grin: I have been wearing my hair out a bit since then and have been good. No accidental-on-purpose length checks. :lol:

mEmYSELFaNDj

I MEMYSELFANDJ promise to refrain from checking the length of my hair until March 15-31, June 15-30, September 15-30, and December 15-31. I understand that my hair grows at a rate of .5(possibly less) inches per month. As long as I continue to care for my hair and keep my body healthy I can trust that I am retaining length so there is no need to constantly check it. My reward for sticking to this promise is that I will be able to appreciate the hair I currently have and when I do finally check my length, see progress.