Length Check for Naturals

Foufie

When I check my length it is more like a guestimate. I can't get my hair exactly straight. I blowdry it, but I don't wanna blow dry it to death. Do you just wait until you get your hair straightened to do length checks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

I usually just stretch some pieces with my hand. I've noticed a few other people do this as well, especially those that don't like to use heat.

And stretching the hair doesn't represent the true length either.
I only do length checks when I blow dry.

I just pull the hair. I don't need an 'exact' length, esp. since I only do length checks around once or twice a year - and I just 'guess' that my hair is about 1/2 to an inch longer than the pulled length.

Thanks ladies. I have been just pulling it down as well. Just didn't know if there was better way.

Ediese - I posted this somewhere else but uhm your brothers...HOLY CRAP :lick:...that is all :grin:

Thanks ladies. I have been just pulling it down as well. Just didn't know if there was better way.

Ediese - I posted this somewhere else but uhm your brothers...HOLY CRAP :lick:...that is all :grin:

Thanks Foufie! :) They're aight. lol

I've been wondering this as well. The last time I blowdryed I just took one very small section in the back and flat ironed it just to get an idea of my progress. For the most part I am going to try to wait until I straighten.

I wait until I roller set and flat iron. My hair is way too wavy for me to even get close to an accurate length check with stretching. Half of my hair doesn't even stretch out when I pull it. I also have MAJOR shrinkage. Since I haven't used heat in almost 3 months I have no clue how long my hair is. So all that said I just wait until I put heat on it to check. Otherwise I don't worry about it.

I may take a piece and stretch it to see from time to time--but I don't "officially" length check unless my hair has been flat ironed.

hi. when i wash my hair everyweek ,i sometimes finish it by doing 4 to 5 cornrows. sleep with a silk scarf on hair. the next day my hair is stretched. but i don't use heat.

I think you could get a decent pictoral comparison by maybe picking it out (like in an afro) and noting the progress that way...chances are the bigger it is the longer it is.

I do the fro pictorial mentioned by arr1216. I do it on freshly washed hair with no product and leave it alone. I have noticed a huge progresion of my fro since my BC with this technique. As for official length checks I think I'm going to stick to waiting until I straighten my hair which I may do only once or twice a year. I've tried stretching and I honestly don't think its an accurate measurement of length.

I just do a thorough straighten on high heat and see what length I'm at:look: I have thick coarse strands that can take it so it just like hey *shrugs*. Thats the only time I do true length checks because as you said anything else is pretty much a guesstimate.

The last time I flatironed my hair for a length check I lost 2 inches in shrinkage before I had a chance to run to my bedroom to grab the camera. :rolleyes: Now I just pull and guess, sometimes my husband will help me with the length checks and we will take a few pics. I just haven't updated my fotki in a long time but have taken *plenty* of pics since then that's in my digital camera. :look:

I consider my true length to be where my straightened hair falls with me standing straight hands to my side .

Back