NO heat challenge 1/1/12 to 1/1/13

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Hey ladies (and gents if any??)!

Starting january 1st I plan on going 1 full year using no heat. None. Nada. Zilch :yep: Are you a heat abuser? Want to give your hair a nice long break from the damaging effects of blowdryers and flatirons? Great! Then join this challenge and lets give our hair a fresh start!

From now until jan 1st you will have time to ready your arsenal with products, tips and techniques that will help you get through the coming 365 days. I'm super excited about this, are you?

Rules:
Must take and post before shot at challenge start
Must take and post after shot at challenge end
No usage of blow dryers, hot combs, flatirons, hooded dryers,etc
Must update once a month minimum in thread with current "pulse check", questions, tips, styles, etc

This challenge is not for those who want to use heat in any fashion, yes even hooded dryers. This challenge means that you may need to rely on styles such as buns, braids, twists, wash n gos, braid/twistouts, bantu knot outs, flexirods, flat twists, puffs, ponys, wigs, updos, fros, etc. and to show length you may have to band, etc. This will be hardcore for some! If you feel that your hair thrives with heat this challenge is not for you.

For those who dc under a dryer you will need to greenhouse and/ or place a hot towel over your baggied hair.

So, are you up for the challenge? If so please either thank this post or add your name to this thread and get all your heat usage and straightening out now :giggle: I'm excited! 2012 lets get it!!

**** update!! - hooded dryers are allowed for dc's only ****

Participants:
@baladi0822
@bludaydreamer
@Chameleonchick
@curlicarib
@djkforeal
@ Ebonybunny
@ecornett
@fiyahwerks
@Forever in Bloom
@GoodMernin
@HauteHippie
@Ijanei
@Kerryann
@LaBelleLL
@leiah
@LiveLoveLife
@MaraWithLove
@melisandre
@MissAlinaRose
@missempress1210
@MsDes
@nakialovesshoes
@naturalpride
@Ogoma
@OndoGirl
@orangepeel
@pink219
@prettybyrd
@ree.denise
@ResieCupp
@Ronnieaj
@Seamonster
@SimJam
@sugarwater
@sunnieb
@SunnyDelight
@Tonto
@transitioning?
@YoursTrulyRE
@zionlady

Last edited:

AwesomelyNappy

I was actually thinking about this this week... going a whole year with 0 heat. Part of me really wants to try. Also, i think the "reveal" at the end of the year would be more dramatic for me since I wouldn't be doing flat-ironed heat checks every so many months.

I think i can get away with it... the hardest thing for me would be giving up dcing under the hooded dryer. I think I'd have to have my hair braided for 80% of the year (which would lead to other challenges for me... "braided for a year", "low manipulation"...)

Since its still early, i'm going to have to think about it some more and weigh if I am really able to commit to it. I dont know anyone where I live that does braids (and dont want to throw a dart at the phone book), so i dont know if i'll be able to just yet... but i am considering it.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Wow! Good challenge. And good thing you started this thread early before the new year. I'll have to think about this one. I have been going back and forth with using heat and not using heat. I feel like my hair does better with heat. However, I have figured out a no heat regimen for my hair, but not sure if I'm willing to go through with it for a whole year. I get quite bored with my hair quickly. But I'll see once I think on it. ;)

GaiasDaughter24

UGH, I REALLY want to do this but I too will have to think about it. I really think the reveal would be AMAZING...but..... I dunno. Great challange, though. And I have a few months to think about it. Hmmm...

AwesomelyNappy

I think if I could perfect doing braided extensions to where it actually looked right on me (haha), and/or could master doing a sew-in with some nice looking (and affordable) natural textured tracks (havent attempted doing a sew-in since being natural)... all in these next 3 1/2 months, then I think i could definitely do this challenge next year.

Chameleonchick

I think I could do it....what about my hair therapy wrap thats not really blowing heat. You heat it up in the microwave.

Chameleonchick

Yay!!! lol. I still have time to sign up, just in case. I haven't used heat yet this year so I am probably not missing anything.

djkforeal

This is right up my alley OP. I just had a major hair catastrophe this past weekend. I was straightening my hair for my B-day and I got distracted and left the marcel flat iron in the stove too long because someone was knocking on my door, but before I went to get the door I wanted to finish that piece of hair and I burned it off right from the roots. I almost fainted! I actually cried because that was almost 2 years of growth literally down the drain. I vowed that I would not straighten my hair again for a long time, but this challenge will really make me stick to it. I have a long ways to go to grow that hair from scratch. Count me in.

Forever in Bloom

I'm really going to have to think about this one. I haven't used a flat iron since last December - not for length checks, nada :grin:

I just haven't been interested. The hooded dryer part may kill me though. I've left my steamer for the dryer again because it makes my deep conditioning way better, but the conditioner I use for deep conditioning is so good (Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm) I may not need heat for it :perplexed

I did want to do a roller set, but I may do that at the end of this year just to see what my hair looks like semi-straight.

I also use a blow dryer on cool (I'm sure that's still acceptable, right?) to stretch my hair before cornrowing.

Anyway, I'll be considering this challenge because once I'm in, I'm in.

P.S. Je Ne Sais Quoi I see you have given up soda. I have been soda and coffee free since 1/16/11. I miss the coffee, but I don't miss the effect it had on my teeth :rolleyes:

sunnieb

You had me until the hooded dryer part! :lol:

I haven't use any other form of heat since my last salon visit in December 2010. I'm glad you started this thread early. I'll have to think about it.

No hooded dryer for my dc's??? Iunno.....:nervous2:

Sent from my Comet

Gemini350z

Wow, this would be a tough one. I am not even going to play myself...there is nooooo way I could do this...

Good luck to all participants!!!!

choctaw

This is an interesting challenge. I used a hooded dryer once in the past 10 years. The heat makes me nuts after 10 minutes. I usually dc with henna or do heavy oiling overnight, apply conditioner for an hour before wash out. I never straighten my hair (no skillz); wear braid or afro, twists, bantu knots, puff. I am boring so I will just lurk :look:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I need to straighten for the last time before this challenge starts because I need to trim my hair. I gotta find someone I can trust to do said trim

prettybyrd

This is such a great challenge!

I seem to experience heat damage every other year because I either mess up with heat or allow someone else to do my hair and they mess up.

I am all for a year free from heat. Sign me up!!!

transitioning?

It's been almost a year since the let time I used it. I suffered great damage. But I'm itching to straighten. So I will need yalls support.

Sign me up for the challenge please

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100