Please help me figure out the name of this oil treatment

Kinkyhairlady

I used this years ago but the name of the product escapes me and I cannot find it in the beauty supply store. Since I don’t know the name I can’t even ask for them to locate it for me. The oil was in like a 16oz bottle and it is caramel colored. I believe it has castor oil in it and some other things but the smell was very mediciney. It was only used for oil treatments. I want to say the name is Mendex or something but I’m not sure. Please if someone knows what I am talking about chime in. TIA

ETA: It is in a clear bottle so you can see the color of the product.

Last edited:

Nonie

@Kinkyhairlady :giggle: I know this. It is called Paltas BKC.

It's not easily found in the US, but you can find it on eBay. In the UK, it's easy to come by. http://www.malikstores.co.uk/images/big/P/PALTAShairtreatment150ml.jpg

ETA BTW, I love Paltas. It was the best thing for new growth when I was relaxed and even when I was natural. Made a TWA soft and shiny and yes, the tingling did make you feel (believe) your scalp was getting the stimulation necessary for growth. And I didn't wash it off every morning, but I baggied every night. You had to coz it's so greasy...otherwise you'd be washing towels all the time--as they suggest to use them over your pillow. I prefer less work so baggying was da bidness! I still have a bottle somewhere that I'm keeping as a treasure.

Last edited:

Kinkyhairlady

@Kinkyhairlady :giggle: I know this. It is called Paltas BKC.

It's not easily found in the US, but you can find it on eBay. In the UK, it's easy to come by. http://www.malikstores.co.uk/images/big/P/PALTAShairtreatment150ml.jpg

ETA BTW, I love Paltas. It was the best thing for new growth when I was relaxed and even when I was natural. Made a TWA soft and shiny and yes, the tingling did make you feel (believe) your scalp was getting the stimulation necessary for growth. And I didn't wash it off every morning, but I baggied every night. You had to coz it's so greasy...otherwise you'd be washing towels all the time--as they suggest to use them over your pillow. I prefer less work so baggying was da bidness! I still have a bottle somewhere that I'm keeping as a treasure.

Nonie, that one looks interesting but thats not it. It's in a clear bottle.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS

This is mendex. I don't know the color. I think mendex is for breakage and chemical/mechanical damage.

ETA: not a clear bottle, can't think of any close in name

Nonie

@Nonie - do you have an ingredient list - I don't see one online

Golden75 I will have to get back to you on that later in the week when I dig it up to see if any are listed. I honestly don't remember whether it had a listing of ingredients or not. But I'll check for you if you remind me by the weekend.

It was one of those things you knew was promoted as good for hair growth, and so you used and loved how it made your hair feel...especially after baggying. But it's heavy like Castor oil so you can't use much. Plus I used to apply it close to my scalp and then then baggy and that's how it'd get to my hair...and had to be very light-handed with it. One use could last a week or more. So I only used it once between washes. The instruction do suggest to use it as a night treatment and wash in the AM but I didn't do that.

Nonie

@Golden75, if your memory is bad at your young age, what the heck are you gonn' do when you get to MY age? :rolleyes:

I think I might've found the ingredients: Glycerin, Lanolin oil, Paraffinum Liquidum, Aqua (purified water), methyl salicylate, alcohol denat., parfum, menthol, thea sinesis, pimenta acrs (bay oil), eugenol. (Source: A post on NC)

I'd still use it in a heartbeat, coz ♪"I ain't afraid of no ghost"♪ Yeah, that was a jam from back before you were born called Ghostbusters! I meant, ingredients like mineral oil do not scare me at all. I use petroleum jelly daily on my skin and LOVE it!

Kinkyhairlady

I still can't remember the name of the product but I recall it is some kind of color treatment as well. I think that is what it is used for specifically.

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
@Golden75, if your memory is bad at your young age, what the heck are you gonn' do when you get to MY age? :rolleyes:

I think I might've found the ingredients: Glycerin, Lanolin oil, Paraffinum Liquidum, Aqua (purified water), methyl salicylate, alcohol denat., parfum, menthol, thea sinesis, pimenta acrs (bay oil), eugenol. (Source: A post on NC)

I'd still use it in a heartbeat, coz ♪"I ain't afraid of no ghost"♪ Yeah, that was a jam from back before you were born called Ghostbusters! I meant, ingredients like mineral oil do not scare me at all. I use petroleum jelly daily on my skin and LOVE it!

Nonie - my mom says the same thing - I keep telling her, I ain't that young, so yes I will have issues when I get to your age :grin:. And you wrong for the Ghostbusters, now imma be singing that song all day. I saw the original in theaters (know my age now?) and watched both cartoons (the Real Ghostbusters was better) and I use to jam to the Bobby Brown Ghostbusters song! :lachen:

Thanks for the list, and I know what you meant. I see how many would be running for the hills. But if is something that is meant to be washed out next day, not too scary. I lurves vaseline in the winter - do they still make the baby powder scent?

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
I still can't remember the name of the product but I recall it is some kind of color treatment as well. I think that is what it is used for specifically.

Kinkyhairlady - I think I know what you may be talking about. But I don't color my hair, so if it was in that section, I didn't really pay attention. I know in my bss its on the bottom shelf, might have blue or pink writing. But it's near the mendex products. If I stop in (if I remember) I will take a look, try and snap a pic, and report back.

Kinkyhairlady

Kinkyhairlady - I think I know what you may be talking about. But I don't color my hair, so if it was in that section, I didn't really pay attention. I know in my bss its on the bottom shelf, might have blue or pink writing. But it's near the mendex products. If I stop in (if I remember) I will take a look, try and snap a pic, and report back.

Yes! The writing was baby blue I think or maybe pink. Ok thanks so much for checking for me.

Kinkyhairlady

Ladies the mystery has been solved. I was able to get in contact with the old hairdresser that used to use it on me and she said it has been discontinued. No wonder why I could not find it! I am going to look to see if I can find it online. I had a bottle and threw it out over a year ago cause I thought it was expired, wish I held onto it. The product is called Metalex by Clairol. I knew it sounded like Mendex so my memory is not that bad.

Attachments

• clairolmetalex.jpg
    clairolmetalex.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 134

sevetlana

I think they used it to strip the hair.. after a bad experience with henna this is what I used to get my hair back to normal

Nonie

@Nonie - my mom says the same thing - I keep telling her, I ain't that young, so yes I will have issues when I get to your age :grin:. And you wrong for the Ghostbusters, now imma be singing that song all day. I saw the original in theaters (know my age now?) and watched both cartoons (the Real Ghostbusters was better) and I use to jam to the Bobby Brown Ghostbusters song! :lachen:

Thanks for the list, and I know what you meant. I see how many would be running for the hills. But if is something that is meant to be washed out next day, not too scary. I lurves vaseline in the winter - do they still make the baby powder scent?

Golden75, I don't know the answer to that. I just use the original.

Kinkyhairlady

OP - How can something that is used to strip the hair be good for it? What were the effects on your hair after you used it?

I can't remember but I think there were two sets of directions and one was for color treated hair and the other was to condition damaged hair. It is a oil and had castor oil and sulfur in it. My hair was thick and shiny with this stuff. I have black hair and it never affected the color at all!

gn1g

Now i want some.

ingredients: Sulfated castor oil, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates/steareth-20 methacrylate copolymer, Salicylic Acid, Triethanolamine, Water, Fragrance, EDTA.

Last edited: