Healthy Hair from the inside OUT!! What are you eating??

growinghealthyhair

I'm trying to change my diet for the better.

1. I'm losing weight, because I eat maybe once a day, between being a full time student/ full time mom/ and full time worker, I hardly have time to eat at all. I intend to stop that!! So I can get back to my normal weight!!

2. My hair. My skin. I know that if i begin to eat Hair and Skin Healthy foods both will improve. I

I'm just ready to improve my overall health. But i'm looking to you ladies to see what you feed your hair??? Besides vitamins, what foods are you feeding your hair for healthy hair growth and health?

Vashti

Kefir, yogurt, organic meats, farm fresh eggs, cheese and raw milk. I also have made it a point last year especially to eat a lot of onions and garlic, dark green vegetables and brightly colored vegetables with lunch and dinner.

I cook with olive oil or unrefined coconut oil everyday and I eat a lot of homemade fermented vegetables like beets and hot peppers and I make and drink kombucha regularly. I also take cod liver oil everyday and eat a lot of citrus fruits and berries.

I don't know if those foods helped my hair specifically but I do know that my health has never been better! Everyone around me is dropping like flies from the flu or colds since October and I've sailed through the entire fall and winter season
without even a sniffle! :)

lilsparkle825

I cut out pork and beef and only eat humanely raised, antibiotic-free chicken. Organic fruits and veggies, brown rice and whole grains. I'm taking a fish oil supplement, as well as magnesium on the regular. No canola oil or anything other than olive oil. I don't drink cow's milk any more -- only soy or almond milk. (The GMO-free kind -- GMO soy is horrendous for you. No GMO anything, really.) I will nevarrr give up cheese LOL....so I make sure it's hormone free. I have wayyyy less acne flare-ups and I know it is due to the lack of extra hormones....as a matter of fact, if I have dairy at my mom's house, I break out the next day like clockwork.

I had a major, MAJOR growth spurt the first three months after I changed my diet.

mariofmagdal

Chicken, Boiled Eggs, lots of green raw veggies, fresh fruit, plenty of water, green tea, nettle tea.

supplements: multivitamin, coQ10, aloe vera, DHA's, Chlorella, silica, and Spirulina.

Solitude

I eat lots of fruits, veggies, lean meats, and water.

For clear skin, my esthetician advised cutting specific carbs (like rice), dairy, and fatty nuts and avocados.

I never remember to take supplements.

favorc

We eat organic. I cook all of my food. Each meal contains 3 veggies and a lean meat. I do not eat pork or beef and I watch my sodium intake. I love to use kosher or himalyain (sp)?salt. In the mornings I mix apples, blue berries, cranberries, and strawberries with organic yogurt. I also will eat a whole grain slice of bread for my fiber intake.
I know it sounds like a lot but I just feel and look healthy in general. You will def see a differnce in your hair and skin.
Remember when you have a healthy digestive track you can absorb nutrients better. Working in the field that I work in now I can pretty much look at a person and tell when their digestive system is all messed up. It shows.

~~HoneyComb~~

Lots of salmon, walnuts, blueberries, broccoli, Romaine lettuce, asparagus, eggs, steelcut oats, chicken breast, olive oil, avocados....and plenty of water.

shasha8685

Question: where do you ladies purchase the steel cut oats? Do you get them from Whole Foods or places like that? I'm looking to switch up from the Quaker Oats...

~~HoneyComb~~

For clear skin, my esthetician advised cutting specific carbs (like rice), dairy, and fatty nuts and avocados.

The bolded caught my eye.

I'm dieting for my skin too, but I do eat a few nuts a day and an avocado twice a week. If I find that eating them is not helping, I may cut them out for a while.

kiesha8185

My Diet

I am totally sold on the idea that we are what we eat. My hair and nails, but most importantly my skin, has really improved since I've started eating better. I've just started eating better, and I'm still in the learning process as far as what to eat, what to stay away from, and how to cook these foods. I try to maintain a high-fiber and high-protein diet.

The thing that has made the most impact is juicing cucumbers, apples, and carrots. :yep:I eat a salad a day, with lots of dark green veges. The darker the green, the better. I don't use salad dressing; I drizzle my salads with sesame oil. I don't know how healthy it is, but my salads are sooo good :lick: Actually, my salads are so good that I don't think they're that healthy anymore :lachen:

I eat at least 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables a day. I eat lots of beans, nuts, brown rice, and wheat bread. I've also been told that drinking hot water/tea with your meals is better for digestion, so I try to do that. I eat a lot of salmon, macarel, tuna, and tofu for protein. I eat 2 hardboiled eggs with my salads.

I stay away from white flour, white bread, white rice, and most dairy. No pre-packaged foods (snack machine) and sugars...I get most of my sweets from fruit.

I'm only 5'6'' and 135 lbs and I've been losing weight eating this way :ohwell: Although I don't want to lose weight, I find comfort in the fact that my diet gives me the full amount of nutrional benefits that when I was eating fast food, fried foods, and junk foods.

Dietary Supplements
Chlorella
MSM w/Vitamin C
Biotin w/B-Complex
Omega 3-6-9 (Fish Oil, Evening Primrose Oil)

growinghealthyhair

My Diet

I am totally sold on the idea that we are what we eat. My hair and nails, but most importantly my skin, has really improved since I've started eating better. I've just started eating better, and I'm still in the learning process as far as what to eat, what to stay away from, and how to cook these foods. I try to maintain a high-fiber and high-protein diet.

The thing that has made the most impact is juicing cucumbers, apples, and carrots. :yep:I eat a salad a day, with lots of dark green veges. The darker the green, the better. I don't use salad dressing; I drizzle my salads with sesame oil. I don't know how healthy it is, but my salads are sooo good :lick: Actually, my salads are so good that I don't think they're that healthy anymore :lachen:

I eat at least 2 servings of fruit and 3 servings of vegetables a day. I eat lots of beans, nuts, brown rice, and wheat bread. I've also been told that drinking hot water/tea with your meals is better for digestion, so I try to do that. I eat a lot of salmon, macarel, tuna, and tofu for protein. I eat 2 hardboiled eggs with my salads.

I stay away from white flour, white bread, white rice, and most dairy. No pre-packaged foods (snack machine) and sugars...I get most of my sweets from fruit.

I'm only 5'6'' and 135 lbs and I've been losing weight eating this way :ohwell: Although I don't want to lose weight, I find comfort in the fact that my diet gives me the full amount of nutrional benefits that when I was eating fast food, fried foods, and junk foods.

Dietary Supplements
Chlorella
MSM w/Vitamin C
Biotin w/B-Complex
Omega 3-6-9 (Fish Oil, Evening Primrose Oil)

Your diet sounds yummy!! But oh boy!! :-( I would hate to lose anymore weight than what I am already doing!!! How is the Omega 369 helpful?? And MSM I saw that in a cream in the herb store i went into!

Last edited:

curlyninjagirl

Here's what I feed my hair:

Doritos, kettle chips, McDonald's, salads, baby carrots, lean cuisine frozen meals, sometimes fruit, sometimes 14 cups of water daily and sometimes 6 cups. Oh yeah, I almost forgot candy! At least one a day.

Errrrm, yeah. My diet sucks. LOL. Working on it......:perplexed

growinghealthyhair

Here's what I feed my hair:

Doritos, kettle chips, McDonald's, salads, baby carrots, lean cuisine frozen meals, sometimes fruit, sometimes 14 cups of water daily and sometimes 6 cups. Oh yeah, I almost forgot candy! At least one a day.

Errrrm, yeah. My diet sucks. LOL. Working on it......:perplexed

Why did you do that to me?? Idied. Especially when I saw Doritos :lachen: This is my exact diet lol.

EllePixie

Just curious, what was the reason to cut out fatty nuts and avocado? I can see cutting carbs and dairy, but usually in the books I read they praise the good fat in nuts/avo. Not saying they are wrong, but I'm interested because I have never heard that before.

bahamababe242

daily breakfast smoothie: hemp protein, ground flax seed, wheat germ, oatmeal, a banana, almond milk, blueberries or strawberries, this has become my "coffee" :lol:

the rest of the day is usually fruits, veggies, chocolate :look: and fish

no dairy, no sodas, limited processed foods

My hair, skin & nails have improved so much with this diet

EllePixie

What Books Elle?? I need to read those books!!

There are a lot of them...I really just read them for the nutritional information and the recipes as I no longer go on "diets," so if they offer a plan I usually don't follow the entire thing, just pull tips from it -

This is Why You're Fat
The Flat Belly Diet
The Abs Diet
30-Day Method
The Metabolism Miracle
The Daily Fix
The Skinny
Skinny ***** (which is mostly vegan propaganda but still a good read)

Skiggle

Right now I'm snacking on some leftovers...
Publix fried chicken w/ ranch dressing and bacon.

I'll eat an apple later to balance it out..

SmilingElephant

curlyninjagirl....lol! :lol:....who you tellin? i eat everything except jello! But i will say this...i LOVE vegetables! Always have all my life....in fact i always eat the veggies first off my plate. From Asparagus to Zucchini....i have not met a veggie that i hate...my favorite is brocolii..steamed or raw. I have gastritis (sp?) recently diagnosed....and ive been losing weight lately bc its hard to eat bc my stomach gets aggravated...and that aint cool bc i CLEANS my plate..mmkay? lol

southerncitygirl

green smoothies
sprouts
kombucha
coconut milk kefir
green tea
white tea
herbal tea
oolong tea
steamed veggies
salads
nuts
avocados
evoo
evco
hemp protein powder or oil
seaweed
things with ginger and/cayenne added
legumes
in small amounts sprouted and/fermented soy like tempeh, miso or nama shoyu
gluten free grains/ breads/ pasta ( quinoa, brown/red/purple rice, etc.)
sprouted bread
flax seeds and/or oil
rejuvelac
water
almond, rice, hemp, or coconut milk instead of cows milk
fresh fruit
coconut water
cage free/ organic eggs
steel cut oats

growinghealthyhair

How are you ladies mixing these smoothies?? This sounds like something promising. I need to definitely research better eating habits. I'm going to check out a few of those books!

theLovelyStyle

I've been putting a tsp of organic ACV in my water bottle. pH balance is not only for the hair, but for the body too.

I've also been drink these delicious protein shakes that a make myself. I blend in one banana, some blueberries or strawberries(or both), ice, soy milk, and powdered whey protein.

I also usually have a water bottle handy throughout the day.

I also eat LOTS of eggs, not intentionally for my hair, but because I love eggs!

I also cook with a lot of rice for dinner meals. I'll usually make broccoli,chicken, and cheese over white rice. Or I'll bake some fish and eat it over white rice. Or I'll make my own spin of fried-rice (without the frying)

Last edited:

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I have for many years ate little to no meat (when I say meat I mean fish, shellfish, and chicken) I gave up pork many years ago, and only eat beef once every 2 to 3 months. My daily diet consists of veggies, fruit, water, low-sugar drinks, and only chicken breast if I do eat meat.

Oh and I haven't ate anything fried in almost 2 mos.

blueberryd

every1's suggestions sound great but PLEASEEEEE be careful with the raw milk! Milk is pasteurized for a reason--ikno it's the new fad but it puts u at high risk for foodborne illness/food poisoning. Before doing the raw milk, i suggest trying soy milks, almond milk, oat milk, rice milk. hemp milk, coconut milk.